Nikon 20mm f/2.8D AF Nikkor

16 88785 Jul 15, 2013
8.0
1913NAS_180

Close Range correction (CRC) system provides high performance at both near and far focusing distances.
Superb optical design for architecture, wedding and landscape photography.
Close-Range Correction for distortion-free pictures as close as 0.85 feet.

f/Stop Range 2.8-22
Minimum Focus Distance 10.2"
Magnification 1:8.3
Angle of View 94 Degrees
Length 1.7"
Maximum Diameter 2.7"
Weight 0.58 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 or TC-14a (manual focus only)
Usable Nikon Teleconverter Tc-201 Or Tc-14a (Manual Focus Only)

Mark K

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Jul 15, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Small size, light weight
Cons:
Expensive, poor contrast and resolution

Dreamed as I have my very first one using on F90X...and at that time this one was so good I urged myself going for a Minolta version
Well entering the digital age newer cameras like D700, D800 demands better optics. This one should be placed in the museum.

Jul 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark K to your Buddy List
jessi74

Registered: Aug 22, 2008
Review Date: Nov 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Compact.
Cons:
Softer than I'd like; even on DX.

Nov 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jessi74 to your Buddy List
mauriceramirez

Registered: Jul 16, 2004
Review Date: Jul 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very compact, very fast AF.
Cons:
Soft with more distant objects wide open.

I love this lens. Not quite as sharp as a 17-35, and a couple notches down from the 14-24, but still a lens that results in better pictures simply because of its size and weight.

Jul 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mauriceramirez to your Buddy List
eolake

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Sep 23, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp if stopped down. Compact.
Cons:
Bad corners at large apertures.

I apologize for my first review of this lens, I don't know what I was on. Cough medicine maybe.
Actually both my copies are fine if stopped down two stops. But if not, the corners are just smeared badly. And this is even on a reduced-frame camera (D200), so it's not acceptable to me. I think an F:2.8 lens should be good at F:2.8.
(I would lower my rating, except the site does not seem to allow to change it, sorry.)

Sep 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eolake to your Buddy List
digiman69

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Review Date: Aug 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharper (at least my copy) than majority of zooms at 20mm f2.8, better at f4 (on FF), light, cheap on used market.
Cons:
Construction could be better, not all copies are fine at borders wide open.

For those still loving primes (light weight, compact size, sharpness)

Aug 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add digiman69 to your Buddy List
mdarnton

Registered: Mar 21, 2008
Review Date: Mar 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp. Very flare resistant.
Cons:
Larger than it needs to be, in my opinion.

Coming from Leica and Olympus film cameras, I'm used to 21mm lenses that are quite a bit smaller than this one. It's only small in comparison with modern bloated zooms, which I won't carry around at all. Nevertheless, it's the sharpest W/A I've ever had, especially at f4. There must be some variation in these lenses--I was a bit scared to buy it, based on these reviews, but mine is excellent. It doesn't like stopping down too far, which is common with the W/As I've had, but to make up for it, I can't get it to flare under any conditions. Even against the light, shadow detail is strong and contrasty.

My favorite lengths are 21 and 28mm, and now I have a 20 on film, and a 30 on DSLR. That's really not a bad deal, all things considered.

Too bad about all the plastic (I particularly don't like the printed rather than engraved markings and the plastic window), but I guess it's proven itself over time.

Mar 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mdarnton to your Buddy List
panos.v

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Oct 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, sharp, fast, nice contrast.
Cons:
None really!

An excellent little lens. I used it for discreet wide-angle shooting with my D70s. This is a fantastic lens, small, light, sharp and f/2.8. Contrast is lacking a bit at f/2.8 and there is a bit of vignetting and lower sharpness around the corners but it all goes away by f/3.5. In any case, I find it excellent for real-world shooting, especially in dimly lit internal areas. It also makes a great outdoors lens for street/travel shooting.

Oct 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add panos.v to your Buddy List
rootrider

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Jul 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: cheap compared to the 18mm 2.8, 'wide enough' on digital though not nearly as fun as with film, good wide open, very compact, AF-D version focuses quickly, very little flare
Cons:
softness or diffraction starting at around f/5 - f/7 on my lens, not as wide as I'd like on digital, there are better primes out there. Almost unnoticeable vignetting wide open in very bright conditions even on a digital body.

First off, I'm quite sure that I don't have the best example of this lens here. When I first got it I did a lot of shooting wide open and was loving the results. But when I started stopping the lens down a bit (like f/5.6) I saw some really bad diffraction or softness, especially where there's bright light.

Other than the above issue I love the lens. It's fast, small, relatively cheap, pretty wide, and has a nice warm color rendition that I kind of like compared to my 18-70 and 70-210. The lens hood can get in the way of an onboard flash and gives you less room to work with the focusing ring, but you really don't need to use the hood except when shooting in the worst light. I've yet to see any lens flare when using this lens with the hood.

I have however seen a slight hint of vignetting when shooting wide open in very bright conditions, even on my digital body. This wasn't something I was expecting to see... but it's barely there and likely not a problem for most any digital shooter who wants to use this lens.

My understanding is that the 24 or 28mm 2.8 lenses are better overall lenses than this 20mm 2.8, but if you're looking for a wide prime that's cheap and relatively sharp then this is the lens for you. The Nikon primes double or triple in price once you get to 18mm and wider, and 24mm and narrower is too close to the fov of a 35mm lens on a film body. This is the sweet spot in value for wide Nikon primes.

Jul 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rootrider to your Buddy List
williamkazak

Registered: Jun 8, 2006
Review Date: Jun 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fairly compact even with a shade.Inexpensive compared to the 18mm.
Cons:
Flare outdoors in backlit situations and dj lights at a wedding reception.

This is a nice wide angle for film and compact.A great digital lens for an indoor high speed shooters kit in combination with the the Nikon 35mm F2 and the 50mm F1.4.
I trust this lens over any zoom I have used.

Jun 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add williamkazak to your Buddy List
eolake

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Feb 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, compact.
Cons:
Not much.

First, to Tiesge: The sharpness of the lens is not affected by the ISO setting. It is just the camera introduces noise.

I have two of this lens. One of them is not sharp. I bought it used, but it looks new, so this was disappointing. So I "bit the green apple" as we say in Denmark, and bought another, this one from new. And from early testing, this one is indeed very sharp.

Feb 6, 2006
Pavel

Registered: Jun 10, 2003
Review Date: Jan 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: very small and pretty sharp both near and far. good minimum focus distance.
Cons:
not as sharp as some of the zooms like the 17-55 wide open.

pretty good performer and marvelously small. I like the 30mm effective focal lenght of the lens on digital. There are no image problems that I see - but on the other hand it doesn't stand out as a fantastic lens neither. Glad I got it.

Jan 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Pavel to your Buddy List
markgoldberg

Registered: Aug 27, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great optics, fun to use, produces shots of great impact
Cons:
Vignetting from filter

I had this lens in my film era and it was a favorite. For travelling light, I took a medium zoom plus this one, and I could do a wide range of things. The wide and plus 2.8 fstop made it great for existing light interiors. It was dynamite with a polarizer and made for some great church interior shots, too.

I speak past tense because in digital, it became a 30mm equivalent and I needed something wider. It was replaced by a 12-24dx as my working wide angle. For travelling light, I now take an 18-70 plus a 10.5DX fisheye for interiors.

I should have gotten a thin filter. With a regular filter, you will get some corner vignetting and small f-stops.

This is a great choice for 35mm photography, but it doesn't fit in my digital picture and I am sure it has a great home with its new owner.

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markgoldberg to your Buddy List
mskad

Registered: Sep 20, 2002
Review Date: Mar 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Compact, light.
Cons:
A bit soft, even stopped down (D70 and D100)

The lens is really small, great build quality and relatively fast (f/2.8). But I was a bit surprised to see that the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX AF-S zoom is sharper at all f/stop, with better contrast and color. On the other hand, the 20mm f/2.8 exhibits less CA.

Used with D70 and D100.

Mar 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mskad to your Buddy List
robinng

Registered: Dec 1, 2003
Review Date: Jan 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: SHARP, LIGHT WEIGHT & FAST FOCUS
Cons:

IS A VERY GOOD LENSE FOR DSLR,
I USED IT TO SHOOT WEDDING, INTERIOR.
ALL TURN OUT VERY GOOD RESULT!

Jan 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add robinng to your Buddy List
tgieske

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: Oct 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $409.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very useful for portrait plus background or street and stage action shots.
Cons:
Can't seem to make it be sharp

Better than my old G2 wide angle zoom for shooting exteriors and interiors of houses for my wife's real estate business. Reasonably sharp at 200-400 ISO in daylight. But in clubs, sharpness deteriorates at 1600 and 3200 with my D100 for concert acts.

Maybe this is because I shoot with spot focus rather than matrix focus. And it can be repaired with Neat Image reasonably well. Unsharp mask doesnt do much good.

Wish I knew why this is, since most reports call it a sharp lens.

Distortion is negligible, and only gets worse when I fix it with Panotool lens curve.

Oct 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add tgieske to your Buddy List
dobrodude

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Review Date: May 30, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, crisp and fun
Cons:
on a dslr, it's 30mm :/

For film, it's one of the most "fun" lenses I like to use. On the dslr.....well, it's still a nice, sharp, semi-wide angle almost losing that awful glare problem you get without a shade. It's a nice all around wide angle lens you can use for almost any shooting. indoor or out. The barrel effect on close-up is kind of fun too, used sparingly.
Great lens and way, way cheaper than most inferior 3rd party zooms.

May 30, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dobrodude to your Buddy List

Nikon 20mm f/2.8D AF Nikkor