Nikon 16mm f/2.8D AF Fisheye-Nikkor

9 51319 Jan 24, 2014
1910NAS_180

Full frame 180 fisheye coverage with Nikon's advanced D-type autofocus lens technology.
Bright f/2.8 aperture for photographing in dim light or with fast shutter speeds.
High-contrast images even at full aperture.

Filter Size 39mm Bayonet (rear of lens)
f/Stop Range 2.8-22
Minimum Focus Distance 10.2"
Magnification 1:10
Angle of View 180 Degrees
Length 2.2"
Maximum Diameter 2.5"
Weight 0.63 lb
Usable Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 or TC-14a (manual focus only)
Usable Nikon Teleconverter Tc-201 Or Tc-14a (Manual Focus Only)

dimsonation

Registered: Oct 30, 2010
Location: Israel
Review Date: Jan 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, small and light, solid build
Cons:
no weather sealing, no af-s

its a great little lens. i use it for landscapes where horizon doesn't matter, such as caves, tight canyons, etc etc. its sharp in the center from f/2.8, and the corners sharpen up nicely by f/5.6. at f/8-11 it's tack sharp with little need for focusing, unless you have extremely close foreground elements

not too expensive either.

Jan 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimsonation to your Buddy List
subidiom

Registered: Nov 24, 2009
Review Date: Jan 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $919.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very compact, sharp, excellent build quality
Cons:
Some CA's, pretty expensive

The 16mm 2.8D Fisheye hasn't gotten much love here lately, so I thought I'd post a review.

I used this lens on my D700 and now the D800e and it's nearly as good at 36MP. The center is always sharp at any aperture and the corners are less so, but you're generally emphasizing the middle of the frame anyway due to the unique perspective this lens offers. Stop down to f/8 and it's much sharper all over.

Handles shooting into the sun nicely and can be provoked to produce cinematic style flare.

I will never let this lens go. It's a mechanical jewel.

Jan 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add subidiom to your Buddy List
hotline

Registered: Apr 25, 2008
Review Date: Sep 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely VERY sharp !! Great to use with D700 fx for panoramics 360, excellent build, good for Real-Estate, weddings
Cons:

It is a * MUST * have. this lens is definitively * SO * sharp ...
I recommend it for panoramic 360.
It is a pleasure.

Some buildings : http://www.pragstorage.com/photos_11/buildings_brussels/

Panoramic 360 : http://panohotline.com/samples/sample_schaerbeek/

Sep 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hotline to your Buddy List
Fishit

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice view with tack sharpness and fast focus.
Cons:
None that come to mind.

I bought this lens after looking at the 14mm and a few other options. I love this lens it gives you so many fun possibilities. I always carry it with me for just about a anything and everything use. The focus is fast the color and contrasts are good, super in low light. I highly recommend this lens, worth every penny.

Jan 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fishit to your Buddy List
Grognard

Registered: Jun 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP! Very Sharp. An extraordinarly sharp lens.
Cons:
None, really

I do not regret in any way the purchase of this lens. I love my 10.5mm, and this lens is just as good, and just as fun to use on my D700. While I do not use it a great deal, sometimes, it is just THE lens to have with you.

Jul 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Grognard to your Buddy List
maximage

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Review Date: Oct 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp image from corner to corner. Typical excellent Nikon pro line build quality. Excellent straight lines once corrected fisheye effect in software.
Cons:

Sharp image from corner to corner. Typical excellent Nikon pro line build quality. Excellent straight lines once corrected fisheye effect in software. Using it on the full frame canon and result is great. There are some color fringing at extreme corners, but thats expected for all extreme super-wide and fisheyes. Can be easily taken care of by software. If you need a full-frame fisheye, no matter whether you are using Nikon or Canon, get this one and you won't regret.

Oct 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add maximage to your Buddy List
phiggys

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb build quality, pin sharp images, bargain price compared to the AFD 14mm f2.8
Cons:

I purchased Nikons AFD 14mm as I wanted something wide for my S1 and S2pro cameras.
I wish I had waited because shortly after I managed to pick up this lens from a dealer in North Wales.
Since then I haven't used the 14mm, this little gem is smaller,lighter and gives a wider angle of view for less than half the cost.
You can correct any curvature in PS if needed.
Used on my 35mm film cameras and I can create ultra-wide images with distortion if and when required.

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phiggys to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Mar 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lens! Nice size, weight, body, depth of field window... a PRO lens, as for my kind of photo the best wide-angle lens for underwater work.
Cons:
If any, the inside of the built-in hood that tend to retain dust/dirt.

Wonderfull lens, pro-caliber finishing/build. Makes you re-think your photography. Its wonderful to mount this lens on the camera, after a shot to find a new approach to the subject. I have been taking GREAT pictures at some friend's wedding, in a car, underwater, in the cockpit (I am an airline pilot), and elsewere.

Mar 30, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
Jim Spaw

Registered: Nov 6, 2002
Review Date: Mar 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: useful in tight quarters on a digital SLR. Fast and small.
Cons:
Has curves at edges of frame on DSLR that cannot be easily corrected in Photoshop, so I learn to live with the curves.

I needed a wide lens to compensate for the 1.6 (probably more) ratio on my DSLR. This works, with a few downsides, for the job. Its fast, and can get everyone in the room for group shots.

Mar 1, 2004