Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM "A"

7 7531 May 29, 2014
Screen_Shot_2013-11-15_at_11_07_32_AM

Name: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM "A"
Image Circle: APS-C
Type: Wide Zoom
Focal Length: 18 - 35mm
APS Equivalent: 1.5x: 27 - 52.5mm; 1.6x: 28.8 - 56mm
Max Aperture: f/1.8
Min Aperture: f/16
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups, including SLD and aspherical elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 76.5 to 44.2 degrees
Focus Details: Internal, with Hyper-Sonic Motor; AF/MF switch
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary with lock
Closest Focus: 28cm / 11 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.23x / 1:4.3
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 122mm x 79mm / 4.8 in. x 3.1 in.
Weight: 811g / 28.6 oz
Notes: Available AF Mounts: Canon EF, Nikon F, Sigma SA, Pentax K and Sony A; Included Accessories: lens hood, caps.
Typical Online Price: US$799

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: May 29, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Let's claim it Sigma does what nobody else made before: a sharp 18-35 f/1.8 zoom and this lens is very sharp even at f/1.8, excellent top of the line build quality as well. I know how good this lens is I checked lots of very sharp lenses before.
Cons:
perhaps autofocus is not as good as Canons, I didn't recognize it is so bad

This is an excellent lens: excellent sharpness even wide open, excellent build quality, but little big, expensive and heavy for Aps-C, perhaps better to make this lens a Full frame version for even more money, 18-35mm range is not so fascinating for a beginner, for a pro a FF is perhaps better. The f/1.8 gives opportunities never known before, but the dof is also very thin which can be challenging.

See in more detail at:

May 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Apr 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: A/1.8, sharp, great color rendition
Cons:
poor AF!!!

Remarkable lens! Truly. The first zoom with A/1.8!!! WOW!

BUT - AF is not up to professional standards.

I can recommend this lens if you use it for any type of available light photography or when you don't need fast accurate AF. It is not for event, sport or wedding photographers.

I am a wedding photographer. I need a lens which can follow my subjects during weddings where light is limited. This is not the lens for me, unfortunately. The lens stops focusing properly around sunset and during wedding receptions in low-lit banquet halls. I was thinking about selling my Canon lenses and keep this one in the 18mm to 35mm range but I had to change my mind. It is extremely hard to get this lens work during wedding receptions. I get 4-6 out of focus photo out of 10 photos.

During daylight it works like a charm. So if you want to use it for other type of pohoptography get one!

I have used this lens for my last weddings. You can see the results here: http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/
Look for the wide angle photos. Almost all the wide shots were taken with it.

Apr 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
IraGrahamIII

Registered: Mar 29, 2014
Review Date: Mar 29, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, well built, accurate auto focus, great price. This lens replaces three very expensive lenses from Canon. Great value!
Cons:
None, I do wish it had IS but you cannot have everything for this price. The 1.8 maximum aperture makes up for it.

I have always liked Sigma lenses. I always felt they were a great value for the money. I think they have recently stepped up their game and will compete with the best offerings from Canon, Nikon and Leica. This lens is 2nd to none. I encourage others to purchase it.

Mar 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IraGrahamIII to your Buddy List
codyconway

Registered: Oct 31, 2013
Review Date: Jan 27, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build quality, price, speed
Cons:
Limited range, APS-C only

Build quality is excellent. It has the weight and feel of a 24-70 f2.8 on a full frame body. This lens is optically incredible, offering corner to corner sharpness across its entire range. F1.8 is sharp, but it does clean up by f2.8. Bokeh is pleasing on a crop sensor camera. It is a dream pair with my Canon 70D. If you can find one in stock, and are considering it. Just go a head and buy it. More information and samples here: www.ccwildphotography.blogspot.com including performance on APS-H (1.3 crop) and Full Frame (Canon 6D) results.

Jan 27, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add codyconway to your Buddy List
Januzzi

Registered: Aug 22, 2011
Review Date: Dec 20, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens sharp and fast Compared with 1.8 canon lens much cheaper
Cons:
Weight
Dec 20, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Januzzi to your Buddy List
cjxx

Registered: May 28, 2006
Review Date: Dec 18, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast, flare free even with sun in the frame
Cons:
slight distortion

Better than anything I've found in it's focal range.
Replaces a bunch of primes.

Dec 18, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cjxx to your Buddy List
icsdave

Registered: Aug 20, 2005
Review Date: Nov 17, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: SPEED its very fast, its also very very sharp. It was as sharp as my Sigma 35 1.4 when I had both.
Cons:
Size and weight.

I ordered this from B&H the day they started taking orders. I had the 35 1.4 at the time and was looking for a 24 or 20, so this hit the spot. I have never seen anything sharper, like I said it was as sharp as the Sigma 35 and 35 is its weak end, its sharper at 18.
The first copy I got had a focus problem. I would MFA it to my 7D and two days later was way off, after a week of this I sent it back and the new one is great with no focus problems.

Nov 17, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add icsdave to your Buddy List

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM "A"

7 7531 May 29, 2014