Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera

Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

grueber34

Registered: Jan 10, 2011
Review Date: Jul 28, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small and light
Cons:
Know its limitations

On recent trips to Europe, I paired the SL1 with a Canon EF 15-85 IS, and found the ideal walk-around combination. The light weight is truly liberating, and the IQ is all you could ask for with this particular setup. No, it's not a 5D3, but it does excel at what it was meant to do. Do not under estimate this little gem.

Jul 28, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grueber34 to your Buddy List
voltaire

Registered: Feb 27, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small footprint, lightweight, compatibility with all my lenses and no need for an adaptor.
Cons:
Limited focus points and only center focus point area. Could focus hunt if the area you're focusing on does not have enough contrast.

I purchased the 100D (SL1 in the U.S.) in Singapore on my way to India. Knowing that I'll be on a ten day trip in the middle of summer in India, I had a feeling I would get tired lugging around my pro cameras.

It wasn't much of a learning curve to use the SL1 except for that button that allows me to change aperture that I need to press all the time. Being familiar with the Canon menus, it wasn't difficult to start shooting right away.

When you purchase the SL1 your mindset should be not to replace but to supplement existing gear. Now, I use the SL1 for parties and for concert photography in a club setting where I can use IS enabled lenses. I can also use the SL1 on my Vixen Polarie for astro photography since its light enough that the mount won't slip.

The outer focusing points leave much to be desired but I knew what I was buying. As far as action shots, I wouldn't trust the SL1 on this since there's a bit of focusing lag compared to 10x the price of a pro camera. Nevertheless, it is an excellent travel camera as long as you're aware of its limitations.

Now, if only Canon can provide the same footprint for a full frame version with 45 or 61 focus points that would be Canon nirvana. The 6D comes close but it doesn't have enough focus points.

Some sample photos using the SL1 with the 100L IS f2.8.

Nov 26, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add voltaire to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera