528 909121 Dec 16, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Oct 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Usefull range, F2.8, weathersealed. Great L colors and contrast.
Cons:
Extrimely heavy and large, moving front element. Need Canon calibration to become sharp.

I got this lens almost new on FM traded on another one. Sent it same day to Canon for calibrations since some out of focus tests. After calibration it comeback better. Extremely bulky with no reason!!! This lens need re-design, Canon please make it as light and sharp as new 70-200mm F4 IS.
In general OK all purpose zoom lens, but I will sell it anyway for something better ... Smile)

Oct 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
Shane F

Registered: Oct 8, 2007
Review Date: Oct 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,240.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, hood, color, contrast.
Cons:
No IS.

I recently changed from a XTi / 40D combo using the 17-55 f/2.8 IS to a Mark IIN. Sold the 17-55 and picked up a new 24-70 f/2.8. I can say that my the 24-70 has slightly better colors and contrast compared to my 17-55. It is sharp as tack in all focal lengths and produced some of my favorite f/2.8 pics within a few days of owning it.

The only downfall is that it does not have IS. I miss the IS and being able to hand hold at 1/6th of second, now I usually will not go below 1/60th. So, bump up the ISO and away you go.

Sure its heavy, but when I mount it on the Mark IIN, it balances out the camera. I can honestly say that I would not have a problem carring this around for hours on end - just make sure you have a comfortable neck strap.

Oct 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shane F to your Buddy List
TechnoPhil

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Location: San Marino
Review Date: Sep 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build quality, zoom range on Full Frame camera
Cons:
weight, price

Very useful on my EOS 5D you can try it everywere with otpimum results!
Very recommended as walk-around/all-purpose lens

Sep 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TechnoPhil to your Buddy List
albertino

Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrasto-nitidezza-luminosità-escursione focale
Cons:
un p̣ pesante, ma interessa poco

Senza dubbio un obiettivo da consigliare. Non mi ha mai deluso

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertino to your Buddy List
stevesanacore

Registered: Apr 28, 2006
Review Date: Sep 7, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Great focal length range.
Cons:
Poor performance. To soft on edges compared with prime lenses to be useful for landscape work.

I have too many ruined shots to recommend this lens. Typical Canon mediocre quality of their wide angle lenses. I only shoot full frame 5D and 1Ds Mk3, so for APS sized users it may be a better performer.

Sep 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stevesanacore to your Buddy List
youcai

Registered: Jul 17, 2008
Review Date: Sep 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, nice boken, fast focus, good build
Cons:
a little bit heavy, not performing as well from 24mm-28mm

I've had 3 copies of 24-70L, 2 copies of 24-105L and 1 copy of 17-55 IS. I've done some comparison. 24-70L won easily over 24-105L on both 40D and 5D. 24-70L/5D is also better than 17-55 IS/40D. This is a nice zoom lens, sharp at 2.8, nice color and contrast. I definitely recommend it.

The downside is that it's not a good landscape lens, and it's a little heavy.

Sep 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add youcai to your Buddy List
rhorta

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 5, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Performance to rival prime lenses
Cons:
not really, but large hood and size and weight must be mentioned

It surprised me to read Torque22's damning review, without any comments about calibration nor taking it back for another copy.

Any lens can suffer from manufacturing defects or the need to be calibrated, the 24-70 is no different.

To simply state that the 24-70/2.8 "suffers from back-focusing issues" is misleading and not a sound basis for a review.

I'd like to repeat my earlier view, reinforced by the experiences I've had with this lens over the last months: the 24-70/2.8 is almost as good as a prime, and much more versatile.

I still think that the 24-105/4 IS is the superior travel lens - based on size, reach, IS and hood - and this is the reason it will stay in my kit, but apart from that the 24-70 suits most of my needs perfectly and has quickly become my favorite zoom and natural first choice.

Paired with the 70-200/2.8IS the 24-70/2.8 is a perfect set, at least on full frame.

This lens will probably be one of the last to go if I had to make that kind of choice.

Ruy

Sep 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rhorta to your Buddy List
DiMora

Registered: Aug 29, 2008
Review Date: Aug 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: My favorite lens. If I could only have one lens, this would be it. L Glass optical quality. Very Sharp! FAST!
Cons:
Heavy...but it is worth it. Quality is A+.

My favorite lens.

FAST, Sharp, perfect in every way.

I could go on and on, but Canon nailed it on this one. If I had to choose only one lens to live with forever, this would be it.

Aug 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DiMora to your Buddy List
OCphotography

Registered: Aug 23, 2008
Review Date: Aug 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, focal-length area, f/2.8, sharpness, colors.
Cons:

Best lens I have ever owned. I have used it on both crop 1.3x and Full-frame sensors, without doubt best on FF, though works like a charm on cropped sensor too.

Use in fashion, portraits, on location, studio work, weddings and press. It never fail you, it is fast in AF, nice zoom though it does not zoom inside the lens. Lens hood is great, its big and you have a firm grip when working.

Weather sealed, heavy (you will get used to that), I recommend using either pro bodies with built in grip or attach vertical grip, which makes it easier when doing fashion, portraits and weddings.

*Highly recommended*

Now I am just waiting for the Nikon version, then I'll have my most favorite lens again. Smile

Aug 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OCphotography to your Buddy List
Steven Park

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $975.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything exceept IS and weight.
Cons:
Variations on quality control of different copies

Solid performer. Only issue with this lens is its variations of performance on different copies. I went through 3 different copies and all three performed differently. My last one was the best out of three.

Its strength shows at 35-50mm range where it is better than any other lenses at f 2.8. at 70mm it is disappointing somewhat but still good enough.

Since this lens is quite old in design, I am waiting for IS version to see if Canon will ever come out with IS version.

24-105L is sharper in corner but with f 4.0, images doesn't stand out like 24-70L.

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steven Park to your Buddy List
kbouber

Registered: Aug 19, 2008
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: amazing lens, very sharp indoor and outdoor, easy picture when the subject is mooving 2.8l , i recommanded to all ,
Cons:
little bit haevy

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kbouber to your Buddy List
4allens

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Aug 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from 24 to 70
Cons:

I purchased this lens to compliment a 16-35 and a 70-200. I must admit, I use far more than I expected. Lanscape, portraits, travel, oh my. I strongly recommend. It is a real keeper.

Aug 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 4allens to your Buddy List
Fagr68

Registered: Jul 7, 2008

Pros: Very sharp! Great colors & contrast, Weather sealing and all the other L qualities you expect from it.
Cons:
Price could be a little less, reverse zooming (although, its ok when you just get used to it)

I really like this lens. I bought one few days ago and i love it so much. First i scared a little to buy it because i had heard so much about some focusing problems. Atleast my copy focuses properly and is damn SHARP, ok ok... Little softness @2.8 but not a big deal. Get's superb @5.6.

Aug 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fagr68 to your Buddy List
norrislw

Registered: Aug 5, 2008
Review Date: Aug 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $985.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, top build quality
Cons:

Bought it from BH under $1k, performs as expected on my 5D. Good IQ and sharp. Just a little heavy, but F2.8, what do you expect!

Aug 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add norrislw to your Buddy List
kuoppis

Registered: Aug 2, 2008
Review Date: Aug 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice lens, L quality and weather seal. I like the image quality.
Cons:
I hate the moving front when zooming to wide angle, really annoying.

This is a exelent lens, but I don't get it with the moving front when zooming to wide angle, this is the only minus. Overall great lens, good quality. I love this lens. I had to return one lens because it was not sharp enough, my new sample is better. OK honestly, this is a very good lens, really good performance. The weather seal is really nice with 1D series, less stress Smile get one, if you don't stress about the moving front part. (The moving front part makes me feel like a amateur)

Aug 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kuoppis to your Buddy List
Terrell Gibson

Registered: Oct 11, 2007
Review Date: Jul 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Rich Colors, excellent sharpness, build quality, & very usable zoom range i.e. not too long not too short which is perfect for indoor shooting.
Cons:
Quality control: for a $1200 dollar lens it should always be sharp right out of the box like it's big bad brother the F/4 70-200 IS. Too many complaints of lenses needing calibration.

I received this lens as a replacement to a 28-70 2.8
that I purchased used. I sent the 28-70 to Canon for repair
and something happened with the 28-70 in their repair
facility that caused them to give me a free upgrade.

I will not reveal the price that I paid for the used 28-70 as it
was truly a steal once you factor in the free upgrade. The
24-70 that I received as a replacement was not sharp at
none of the apertures that I use 2.8-5.6.

Sent the lens back to canon for calibration got it back in 7
days. Canon says that they replaced the zoom key,
adjusted center and tilt, and cleaned to factory specs.

All I can say now is that it is as sharp as a surgeon's scalpel.
At 2.8 it is sharp anything above 2.8 it is extremely sharp.
The only lens that is sharper in my arsenal is the f/4 70-200 IS

Canon cust service is top notch.

Jul 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Terrell Gibson to your Buddy List

528 909121 Dec 16, 2014