534 902940 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Hudsons

Registered: May 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 29, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp, well built, produces good images with rich colour
Cons:
Heavy

I reviewed this product several years ago while still using film. I am equally impressed now I use it on a 5DII. It is my most used lens and has never let me down. Produces sharp images with good contrast. I do not worry about lack of IS on this lens. The hood is large but a benefit is that it protects the lens from knocks.

Jan 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hudsons to your Buddy List
Valjr

Registered: Oct 13, 2009
Review Date: Jan 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great contrast, sharp wide open, quick focus, constant f2.8.
Cons:
Heavy... expensive... Some distortion at the wide end (normal)

Was undecided between this lens or going with non L primes. After asking questions on the canon forum, decided to get this lens. Should not have waited to get it. Performance exceeded my expectations. IS would be nice but probably not needed in this focal range (more important in longer focal ranges). I came from the ef 28-135. Now that lens is just sitting waiting to get sold. It's a bit heavy and I knew this going in. I have a 70-200 2.8 and am used to the weight. No word on a new IS version and I'm sure it will add another $400 to the cost. This lens is a work horse and hasn't disappointed me yet. My 5d2 and this lens is a rockin good combo.

Jan 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Valjr to your Buddy List
George Martin

Registered: Apr 18, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great colour, great build quality
Cons:

I also have the 24-105L and tend to use this more because of the IS. When the light is good I always use the 24-70L and am regularly surprised how much better the IQ is over the 24-105L. I hope when Canon update this lens they will add IS.

Dec 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add George Martin to your Buddy List
michsyw

Registered: Aug 2, 2009
Review Date: Dec 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent contrast and color tone, solid build quality.
Cons:

This lens stays on my 5D 95% of the time. It's extremely sharp. I guess I am lucky to get a good copy after reading lots of the reviews here regarding QC.

The lens feels well balanced mounted on my 5D. The zoom feels a little loose when fully extended (which is at 24mm). The only thing that bothers me is when I am not careful and sand got into the barrel when it's extended, especially when shooting some pictures on the beach. Sand particles will get in between the walls and make grinding noises when zooming in and out. Took me a long time and some powerful airspray to clean some of them.

This is a perfect lens. Distortion is so easily corrected in LR3. Don't worry about the weight, the quality of the pictures it produces surpass any muscle pain it may cause! oh, and it's relatively low profile compare to the white ones Smile

Dec 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add michsyw to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: After 5 copies mine is a winner,and it sings to heaven at last !!good sharpness,perfect bokeh, a perfect glass if you only need one =this is THE ONE TO OWN !!
Cons:
shame on you canon --baad quality control,the manual ring turns soft,the glass is soft,the price is far too high,and sharpness at f2,8 -f4 is soft(on bad samples) -its also have a too clumsy design

This IS THE MAIN PJ GLASS to own if you are a serious photographer or photojournalist,no other photographic product has gotten so much attention and usefullness than this,so why ???in the whole wide world is there so much sample variation of this canon 24-70??

(---in short ; IF you find a good sample you are in heaven;--)

Canon please make a zoomquality like the 70-200 f 4 IS next time when you market the mk 2 version !

The Canon 24-70 f2,8 is nevertheless a winner-buy it.

Dec 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
tuanv1980

Registered: Aug 24, 2009
Review Date: Sep 22, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built, sharpness, contrast, speed,
Cons:
After 2 bad copies, my 3rd is a winner !

@ Canon - need to have better quality control.

My first 2 copies were bad. Soft focus and the focus hunt in low light situation. I almost regret upgrading it from my Sigma 24-70mm F2.8.

I got my 3rd copy this year. I love it ! I Love it ! I love it! Finally got a great copy, fast focus, great built quality, razor sharp, excellent contrast & bokeh. Attaching this to the 5d2 and they are a match made in heaven. I love the image it produces, and it great to use in low light situation.

Sep 22, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tuanv1980 to your Buddy List
Peter Shelton

Registered: Sep 7, 2006
Review Date: Sep 12, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, sharpness, crisp colours
Cons:

Had it for about 8 months now. Perfect on my 1Ds - great colors, sharp and crisp to the edges, spot-on focus.

Sep 12, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Shelton to your Buddy List
Ric444

Registered: Apr 10, 2010
Review Date: Aug 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice range (24-70) for the 5D Mark II, very sharp, nice tones
Cons:
Big, heavy,expensive

This lens may not be perfect but it is the best zoom I have used in the 24-70 range. I keep coming back to it covers a very useful range.

Combined with a 5D mark ii it produces very nice photos. I used the 85 f1.2 and 135 f2.0 for portraits and the 24-70 for almost everything else.
Excellent for weddings.

Negative points:
- A bit too heavy for travelling.
- I found that my HD videos come out crystal clear only when there is plenty of light. When lacking good lighting I need to use the 85 f1.2.
- Very expensive.

Aug 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ric444 to your Buddy List
nsarcastic

Registered: Jan 8, 2009
Review Date: Aug 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Just one word : versatility
Cons:

Beautifully flexible. Sharp, great contrast, great color, nice macro capability, perfect walk around zoom range, and rugged build.

Big and heavy but needs to be to satisfy the laws of physics.

First lens I bought, and probably the last lens I'll sell.

Aug 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nsarcastic to your Buddy List
peolund

Registered: Aug 23, 2009
Review Date: Jul 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Yoy canīt get more for the money....
Cons:
nothing

This is my most used walkaround lens who feels like glued to my 1 Ds mark ll. I can use it in the most various kinds of situations and it gives me sharp and crispy pictures. The sharpness at 2.8 is lacking, at least at corners. But what...DOF at 2.8 is so thin....4.0 and so on there is no worries anymore. I think this lens today is very well worth itīs price. Itīs heavy, it means you get a steady hand to....Buy it!

Jul 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peolund to your Buddy List
antuni

Registered: Dec 5, 2009
Review Date: Jul 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, great color/contrast
Cons:
Bulky

Got this at a very good deal $1100 for a brand new.

This has been 95% on my camera since I got it. Happy with the sharpness, color and the bokeh it produced.

Since this is my only zoom lens, the only problem I have is its too bulky when you travel but still a very nice lens.

Jul 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add antuni to your Buddy List
Ektar25

Registered: Mar 21, 2010
Review Date: Jul 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, versatile, fast focusing and very well built. Great all around lens for full frame sensor cameras.
Cons:

I sold my first copy of this lens and had to buy another because I missed it that much. This is a favorite for use on the 5DII. If I take only one lens with me, the 24-70 f/2.8L is that lens. It is wide enough for landscapes and interior shots, and long enough for great single subject portraits. It is very versatile. My own experience has been nothing but positive. I don't consider the lens to be too heavy or too expensive, and I don't feel the need for IS.

Jul 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ektar25 to your Buddy List
rhorta

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Your "review" is more fitting for a discussion on the Canon gear forum. Just like you can't rate a lens a full 10/10 after a couple of hours usage, you can't rate a lens 3/10 based on a single bad experience with a rental.

I'd advice anyone to take this type of discussion to the rental firm and demand a replacement lens or your money back...

I'll stop this argument here as the review section isn't the right place for it.

Ruy

Jul 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rhorta to your Buddy List
J-Dawgg

Registered: Jul 8, 2010
Review Date: Jul 18, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

So rhorta, you're saying I reviewed a "bad copy." My question was and still is, how do I know if that was a "bad copy?" How does anyone know that before they buy the lens? Clearly, some people are having issues with the lens. It can be sharp as a tack, but if it malfunctions you're not going to see much.

Jul 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add J-Dawgg to your Buddy List
Spec3R33

Registered: Feb 14, 2010
Review Date: Jul 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp! Beautiful colors, solid build, Minimum Focusing Distance of 0.38m / 1.3ft
Cons:
Sometimes makes me wonder why I bother with my primes.

I haven't gotten around to rating this lens yet, but felt inclined to do so due to the recent negative comments about it.
This was my first L lens. I bought this new from Amazon, UW code, and it came sharp and trouble-free out of the box.
Not only do I recommend this lens, I have already recommended this lens to a friend who just picked up his first DSLR, a 7D. He was hesitant to buy it because of the price, but I told him that he could waste his money buying several inferior lenses and discover this gem later on (like me) or buy this lens as your first lens. I showed him a tight hand-held face shot where the background could clearly been seen reflected from the iris of the subject at 100% crop. After showing him the crop and the original picture, he bought the lens and he couldn't be happier. Now he's asking my recommendation for a second lens . . .

Jul 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Spec3R33 to your Buddy List
yourt

Registered: Jul 15, 2010
Review Date: Jul 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Decently built, very sharp when stopped down a little. The hood and the inverted zoom movement is a fantastic idea
Cons:
full open not at its sharpest (very sharp though) A little heavy and bulky but I can live with that zoomring seems to have issues in smoothness of operation

Defective or not: it's important. The zoomring issue returns in several forum topics. I had the same feeling, and mine is in now because something probably broke off after extensive use.
It's in for repair now. Hoepfully it will work fine afterwards. That would make it A+++ ;-)

Jul 15, 2010