536 907771 Nov 12, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

Chatsphotog

Registered: Sep 7, 2003
Review Date: Mar 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Contrasty, Bright
Cons:
Heavy, $$$

What can one say? This is an L-lens, one of Canon's best. If you have this, and the 70-200mm in your bag of tricks, you are covered from 24-200mm and can get away with most situations. I agonized over purchasing this lens for a long time - now I am glad that I did.

Mar 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Chatsphotog to your Buddy List
bagwis

Registered: Dec 31, 2004
Review Date: Mar 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast focussing, sharp wide open, wonderful color and contrast.
Cons:
A bit pricey.

I've had a Tamron and found it tad slow at focussing at not so ideal lighting situations like indoor basketball/volleyball. I sold it together with my 17-40L to be able to afford this lens, and wow! This is indeed one of Canon's best zoom lenses. I'm so happy with my decision and it indeed focusses faster than the Tamron. Sharpness wise, it's a little better, but not so far away from the Tamron. It's color and contrast though are better than the Tamron. I love the bokeh and the range of this zoom lens. It has become my favorite walk-about lens.

If you can afford one, don't think about it. Get it! You'll definitely love it.

Mar 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bagwis to your Buddy List
Teg Miles

Registered: Nov 13, 2004
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Mar 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Sharp Sharp!!! Fast, weight, zoom 2,8
Cons:
$$$ as "L"

Greatest zoom I ever had!

Mar 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Teg Miles to your Buddy List
xintegrityx

Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Review Date: Mar 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality,bokeh,lightning quick autofocus, crystal clear images corner to corner
Cons:
weight, size (NOT A MAJOR ISSUE)

after months of reading reviews, comtemplating whether i should squander my money, and asking others i finally bought a copy of this "controversial" lens......i am thrilled.

the crispness of this lens from corner to corner is amazing. truly awesome detail.

i would wholeheartedly recommend this lens to whomever is thinking about or on the verge of buying.

when i was reading about this lens it seems everyone complains about 2 things first and formost: size and weight. now in my mind i thought, my god, with such a sharp lens i cant believe people are complaining about the size and weight. what babies.....haha. well let me tell you. this lens IS a beast its equally if not heavier than my 70-200 f/4 and has a HUGE lens hood. im almost afraid to leave this lens in the same room with my kit 18-55 for my 20d out of fear the 24-70 my gobble it right up and spit it out. i do recommend going to your local shop and getting a feel for it. otherwise you might be in for a work out.

all in all...the best lens i have ever laid hands on, i am so happy i made this purchase

Mar 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add xintegrityx to your Buddy List
florin_pana

Registered: Mar 8, 2005
Location: Romania
Review Date: Mar 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, the best bookeh I ever seen, superb colors, L quality.
Cons:
Heavy; overpriced.

I bought this lens recently to bridge the "gap" between 17 - 40/4L and 70 -200/4L. For those enthusiasts of 17-40/L, I would tell them: that’s a very good lens but 24-70 is the best. Honestly, if you do not acquire, by misfortune a dud, 24-70 will show you a new "dimension" of what it means quality photo. Indeed this is a “new lens generation” which offers astonishing results. If you do not believe me, try at least to rent this lens for couple of days and shoot some pictures; you will fall in love with it.

Mar 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add florin_pana to your Buddy List
DEvianT

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Review Date: Mar 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank. Beautiful sharp images. Fast silent focus. Sealed against the British weather.
Cons:
Price. Weight maybe...

This lens is fast silent and lightning quick to focus and does not hunt when doing so. The images are sharp with excellent contrast that really pops of the page.

Weight is very heavy but not badly so. On a heavy body such as 1Dmk2 it actually helps it balance resulting in steady shots. Also the 1.3 crop seems to really hit the sweet spot. The focal length is just wide enough at 24mm and has enough reach at 70mm.

Now my main lens on the 1Dmk2.

Mar 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DEvianT to your Buddy List
cineski

Registered: Oct 22, 2004
Review Date: Mar 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Simply fantastic. I don't understand why this is one of the most contraversial lenses made? The image quality I get is astounding. Razor sharp at all f-stops, at all focal lengths. It's all there in spades, color, resolution, bokeh. It's heavy as a brick, but I like that as it lends to steadier shots and stronger biceps! I recently shot with a fuji s2 w/ Nikon lenses and it felt like a toy. By the way, it helps to have a heavier body to offset the weight of this lens (it's awkward on the Rebel)
Cons:
It can get pretty heavy after 8 hours of shooting. It's very expensive, but I feel I got what I paid for. I can't say it's the best for 1.6 crop (at least for certain red carpet events where the walkway is 3 feet wide), but I shoot a lot of film, and the focal length is great for this.

I think I stated most things above. This is the first lens I bought. I started out with film, and now shoot both film and digital. For general all-around with a 1.6 crop, this lens can definately hack it, but there are times when I wish I could go wider. For film, this is THE perfect all-arounder. The 2.8 is amazing. I can't imagine having to stop at 4.5 or whatever other lenses offer. Full f-stop range = more creative control and being able to shoot in situations that require it (I use 2.8 plenty even with 1600 ISO). Again, just an outstanding performer in all aspects.

Mar 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cineski to your Buddy List
sbc2758

Registered: Feb 19, 2005
Review Date: Feb 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is built like a tank. The optical quality is beautiful, and with f/2.8, low light shooting is great.
Cons:
Price!!

This lens is on my camera 95% of the time and I love it!! The lens is built like a rock, and is very comfortable on my 20D, despite the weight issue others complain about. Optically, this lens is exellent. I would recommend this lens to anybody that is looking for a solid walk-around lens.

Feb 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sbc2758 to your Buddy List
markbaynes

Registered: Dec 7, 2004
Review Date: Feb 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: How long have you got?
Cons:

Buying this lens has changed the way i work. Yes it is big and heavy but is a cracking lens, just go buy one. I originally had a 24-85mm 3.5-4 USM and i didnt use it much, mainly relying on my 17-40f4 USM and 70-200 2.8 L IS USM. I bought the 24-70 and it is a revelation, before i rarely used my 24-85 but now the 24-70 is my main lens. I tend to work with this on one body (1Ds) and the 70-200 on another body (1D Mk2) and depending on the job might switch those around. Now i find i dont make as much use of the 17-40.

If i was buying my kit from scratch again i would make a decision which you will have read elsewhere - if you invest in the 1D level bodies it only makes sense to go with the L series lenses. Yes it costs but quality usually does. The end results are worth it. Compared to the 24-70 the images have that elusive 'pop' off the screen. And of fundamental importance it is fantastic in low light, another reason why my 24-85 is low languishing in its case.

Feb 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markbaynes to your Buddy List
Toronto_Tim

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Review Date: Feb 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,128.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp (especially during sunny daylight), contrast.
Cons:
Expensive, heavy, & draws unwanted attention.

I'm more than happy with this lens! It has provided me with mostly excellent photographs. I've taken a lot of bad photos but that's due to my lack of photographic skills.

It is NOT that heavy to carry around all day. And it's definitely no where near as heavy as the 70-200 lens. The 24-70 zoom range is perfect for everyday photography. My "everyday" photography involves people, cityscapes, and natural landscapes (waterfalls, gorges, valleys).

The 24-70 hits the "sweet spot". The 16-35 is also very good but it doesn't provide enough reach for me. I love the 70-200 but I cannot justify paying so much for it when I would only use it less than 10% of the times.

I owned a Rebel 2000 before I purchased the 10D. Along with the Rebel 2K, I owned the kit lens and a 75-300 lens. I used to think the 75-300 lens produced excellent pictures (circa 2000).

After I purchased the 24-70, I compared pictures taken with both. There is no doubt that an "L" lens produces superior quality photographs. The first thing that struck me was the contrast! It was clearly noticeable as compared to the 75-300. The next thing was the sharpness.

Simply put, the pictures produced from the 75-300 look like they were taken by a point-and-shoot user. The pictures from the 24-70 look like they belong on a post card! And this is with the automatic setting!

I haven't had as much success in lowlight or indoor photography but I'm still learning! All I can say is, for a beginner like me, the 24-70 lens is perfect!

I was VERY skeptical about paying so much money for an "L" lens. But I'm happy to say I felt much better after seeing the results!

Tim

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Toronto_Tim to your Buddy List
MichaelF

Registered: Feb 14, 2005
Review Date: Feb 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp images that tend to jump out. Color rendition is great. Fast and silent USM. Nice focal range fits most shooting situations.
Cons:
Expensive and heavy

I bought this lens two weeks ago and have hardly ever removed it from my 10D since then. It is very fast and focus is dead on. The image quality for this zoom is phenomenal. I have now sold my 28-135 IS and haven't looked back. My other lenses are primes and this rivals their sharpness. I haven't noticed any pronounced softness wide open and am pleased with its overall performance.
As far as the weight goes, yes this glass is heavy but the quality more than makes up for that.
I wish the reach were greater at both ends, but then we'd be talking about a different lens. The only negative side to this lens is the price, and later, once the pain subsides, quality and performance will remain. I intend upon keeping this glass for some time. I easily recommend this lens.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaelF to your Buddy List
Brandon Mizar

Registered: Jan 5, 2003
Review Date: Feb 14, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,050.00

Pros: None so far.
Cons:
Very bad quality control on this lens.

This is my 4th copy of this lens over the last couple years and I have yet to find a fully functioning copy.

You can see from my post how bad it is. Every other lens I have used over the years on countless bodies have worked great. This lens however just stinks. You are lucky if you have a good copy. I have gone through 4 of these lenses and every single one back focuses or just won't focus at certain focal lengths.

I am sending this one back.

Feb 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Brandon Mizar to your Buddy List
ShootsQA

Registered: Oct 28, 2003
Review Date: Feb 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,125.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, outstanding color and rich bokeh.
Cons:

After upgrading to the 1DMkII, I decided to get this lens. My previous lens was a much cheaper Tamron; however, on the 10D it produced pretty good images. Well, with the 24-70, the pictures are absolutely fantastic. The colors are really outstanding. I don't mind the size / weight; however, the price is about the only real negative. My next lens will probably be the 70-200 as I've just seen some great images when paired with the 1D.

Dave

Feb 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ShootsQA to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, nice focal range.
Cons:
on a 20D with 1.6X factor, not enough wide angle, and ,very very heavy to hold. size and weight limit usage, I think twice before taking it for a long trip. Very epensive.

Great lens to have on the camera if you do not need to use it for long periods of time, too bulky for taeing on a trip.
Feels very solid, takes wonderful pictures, the weight factor is always aconsideration, but I find myself using it a lot.

I wish it was 17-85 with image stabilization weighing 500g
just like the EF-S lens, but quality of the picture comes first for me, so I bought it.

the 70mm with 1.6x factor of my 20D makes it a great wide angle to telephoto lens.

I bought a 17-40 as an all around lens that I can carry.

I mainly use my 24-70 indoors because it is a fast lens and indoor shooting opportunities are usually around my house where I am not stuck with a brick to carry

Feb 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
Tobin28

Registered: Feb 10, 2005
Review Date: Feb 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 2.8, Image quality, colors, blur, sharp
Cons:
Heavy, wish it had IS. Hood does seem a little weak.

An amazing lense. I have been reading and researching this lense for the past year. I finally went out and bought it. So glad I did. I live in the Caribbean and the pictures I am getting on my DSLR are out of this world. The red’s are nothing I have ever seen before. It’s worth the money, no question. MY next purchase will be the 70-200 L IS and then I think I am done. I think hehe.

Feb 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tobin28 to your Buddy List
Powerdoc

Registered: Feb 4, 2005
Review Date: Feb 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical quality Build quality AF
Cons:
Weight

Optically wise this zoom is excellent. It's well build, has an intelligent retro zooming design, and a top notch AF.

My copy is sharp even wide open. The contrast, color and bokey are great.

This is my favorite lens.

The only cons (with the price, but you paid for what you get) is the weight : not for taking shots (the weight will help you to get steady), but for carrying it around.

Feb 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Powerdoc to your Buddy List

536 907771 Nov 12, 2014