534 904196 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

terrys999

Registered: Jul 7, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: UPDATE! the store i purchased this lens from, has now told me the lens probably needs ajusting by canon.
Cons:
the store manager comfirmed this, by saying that they have alot of these lens back due to the fact, there are alot of these lens that are being returned. " what happened to quality control".

taking it back today!

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add terrys999 to your Buddy List
Section 8

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Focuses very fast. Good macro ability, for a non macro lense. Image quality.
Cons:
For a standard zoom, its big and heavy.

I'm not a pro photographer, I am a hobbiest. I have other hobbies that I have found that spending less just gets you to want more, and ending up with buyer remorse. You end up with a consumer lense that doesn't hold its value very well that you need to get rid of to purchase this, spending more. So I just bought this knowing that I can easily get my purchase price back if I find I am in need of liquidity, or more lense than I bargined for. I rated the price a 10 because the price of ownership is very low for very high quality lenses, if you feel like an ass after spending $1100.00 for a glass filled tube, sell it to someone else for $1000.00 and you are hardly worse off. It is the complete opposite buying an old (or not so old) Brittish car.

I've been using this on a 10D with excellent results. The lense doesn't weight that much, I find it the same as having a 70-200 F4L around my neck. If you don't mind large zooms then you won't mind this, as it will be no different.

Just because you can handle the extra weight, doens't make the lense weigh any less, or become smaller. The lens will not fit in a standard D/SLR "triangle" bag space. I have a Mountainsmith Alpenglo backpack with a camera storage pocket accessable from the top, but this lens is to big to fit in it (the 10D is really tight anyway, while the 300D is perfect, but not with this lense). You will need space in your bag to fit a body with a zoom on it if you intend to leave it on when carrying it. I now have the Mountainsmith Lumin and it works great. Point is, the size affect more than just handling it on the camera, you have to fit it someplace when you pack it.

Also be wary of what tripod you have to work with. Just because you can handle the weight, doesnt mean your tripod/head can. Don't try and use rinky dink equipment with this on the top of it, being a dumbass isn't coverd under warrenty.

As far as the build quality, I am an engineering student and I see good and bad parts frequently come off of machines. People describe things as being "billet" all the time these days, and most people don't even know what it means and therefore use it wrong anyway. If it was sold on ebay it would surely be described as a Billet Canon lense. This lense is a brick. With it fully extended, its still solid. The dust seal on the end of the lens is a new one for me, but it is positioned well inside of the outer diameter so it will be highly unlikly to tear from normal use, and is is obvious that it is capable of doing what it was designed for.

I would recoment this lense to anyone. Its their decision to spend the money or not, and its not a black hole, you can get the money back.

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Section 8 to your Buddy List
terrys999

Registered: Jul 7, 2005
Review Date: Aug 22, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: huh!
Cons:
i have had this lens around 5 days, "not an happy bunny" blurred blurred! performed humteen tests! on a tripod! same results! f/2.8 unusuable! f/8.0 just about exceptable, but still not worth what you pay. save your cash guys, buy a 35/1.4 L you wont be dissapointed!

!Rubbish! for an L SERIES LENS

Aug 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add terrys999 to your Buddy List
clx1200

Registered: Aug 12, 2005
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,219.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Got the lens for 2 weeks now,great on f2.8 even when the night starts to fall.
Cons:
Heavy,and the price

Aug 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clx1200 to your Buddy List
quantim0

Registered: Apr 30, 2005
Review Date: Aug 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Super build quality, great images straight out of camera-little need for pp
Cons:
ever so soft wide open

I am a huge fan of this lens. Even though it is a touch soft wide open, it sharpens up nicely. The feel oozes quality. The only thing that bothers me a little is the fact that the lens starts at 70 and you zoom to 24. But I'm getting used to it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Aug 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add quantim0 to your Buddy List
dmstraton

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Review Date: Aug 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra-sharp, ultra-contrast images, beautiful color. Built like a Humvee. Exceptionally fast, silent and accurate auto-focus.
Cons:
Kind of big and heavy for a 350D.

There is an old adage that is much easier to write a sad song than a happy song. Maybe why Pink Floyd was so good at what they did!

Much of the reviews of this lens seem to revolve around a bad experience or the price being high. I am sure that most people who are experiencing good things with this lens aren't writing reviews, they're probably taking photos.

My copy, right out of the box, gives me images that are sharp, contrasty, and in need of minimal post-processing. The only other lens that I have that is similar is a 50mm 1.4. All of my other lenses need a bit of help.

Additionally, this lens focuses very quickly and accurately, almost never a hitch.

The only other lens of the third parties that I thought was pretty good was a Tokina...but even though that lens was built well and half the price, the L took the prize due to the focusing and uber-quality. Sure maybe the image quality is only 5% better, but the other facets of this lens make it (so far) more reliable in its performance.

Aug 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dmstraton to your Buddy List
albertwang

Registered: Jul 9, 2005
Review Date: Aug 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality, 2.8 L
Cons:
maybe heavy to someone

This is a very nice lense. The image quality is great. And I found f/2.8 is very useful for me eventhough I had a 580EX. I am very happy to upgrade from 17-85 IS to 24-70L.

I am using 20D and it has 1.6X so the wide angle is not that big. But for daily use, it is enough.

I got it during a promotion from Dell and the final is around 1050. It is acceptable.

The lense is heavy but after using for 1 week, I got used to it.

Aug 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add albertwang to your Buddy List
francishmt

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Posts: 1922
Review Date: Aug 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! 2.8 aperture, great walk around on my 20D, great colour, saturation.
Cons:
Price, heavy.

This lens is my 2nd L lens after my 17-40. The range it provides make it a great walk around lens. Usually, walk around lens do not necessary give good picture quality due to its zoom range; however, this lens is so so sharp. The picture quality is unmatched.

Tamron 28-75? No. Not the same quality, optically and build quality. The L lens give so much more colour and saturation. I have had (in my opinion) a very sharp copy of the Tamron, but the 24-70 is still sharper. Wow!

I love this lens. Great investment. It's something you won't regret of having.

Aug 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add francishmt to your Buddy List
3ABX03

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Aug 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,208.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well build.Sharp thru zoom range even wide open.
Cons:

Grate zoom. Defiantly recommended.

Aug 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 3ABX03 to your Buddy List
TheAmateur

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Review Date: Aug 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast, solid
Cons:

It is my main walk around lens now. People comepare it with the Tamron 28-75 but most of my friends still want the Canon copy. The build is solid and I like the performance.

Aug 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheAmateur to your Buddy List
dliscio

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Purchased two weeks ago, this lens has seen four magazine photo assignments and performed better than any other zoom I've used to date. It's an awesome piece of glass.
Cons:
It gets heavy after 10 hours of humping it around, but that's why I have a LowePro photo backpack with padded dividers.

The price put me off a bit but now that's a done deal and I'm already earning back what I spent. Since I don't have any business ties to Canon, I can freely say this is the best lens in my bag.
It's rock solid, albeit somewhat heavy, especially when mounted on my 1d Mk II, but together they are a formidable duo. If you only have enough money for one lens, choose this one.

Aug 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dliscio to your Buddy List
zeroorone

Registered: Jun 1, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build; good balance w/20D & grip, excellent contrast; very sharp at all apertures
Cons:
Expensive; tight zoom from 24 - 40; some say its a bit heavy but that's a mute point after you see the results

I bought this lens about 3 months ago from B&H and feel like I have finally given it a good test, throwing all sorts of image situations at it.

I have shot home studio portraits of family, landscapes, zoo, indoors, outdoors, bright, overcast, dusk, etc... and I am very impressed by it. Being as this was my first 'L' I was very apprehensive, especially with the QC problems of late with this lens. But rest assured this lens is truly fantastic.

I can't say anything bad about it except that my copy, like many others, has had some 'stickiness' to the zoom from low end to about 40mm. I figure that this will loosen up with more use and am not concerned.

If your looking for the best general purpose lens there is, then this is it, hands down. Image quality and build are superb. All that I have to do now is learn how to put it to good use.

Jul 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zeroorone to your Buddy List
willardp

Registered: Apr 6, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: This is a follow up from a previous post prior to sending the lens back to Canon. The post calibrated lens is everything I expected from an "L" series lens. Sharp as a tack--really!
Cons:
Was little disappointed that Canon didn't come back and say there was nothing wrong with the lens.

If I had purchased this lens prior to purchasing the 70-200mm f/2.8L--it would have been the only "L" lens I owned--ever. But because of the 70-200mm f/2.8L, I couldn't wait to get the 24-70mm. Not to reccount the previous post--but if I had to rate the calibrated lens--it would probably be 9.5--only becuase it had to be returned. I've posted a couple of shots below...virtually from the same spot around the same time of the day. Only different between the post-calibrated shot is the Hoya SHMC CIR-PL (a $172.50 (B&H) purchase but well worth it).

According to the paper work from Canon, they adjusted my for my "best focal point". Called Canon and asked what that meant--essentially they calibrated for center AF point. They also did a check on sensor alignment. That concerned me--did they check it for a 20D or is the sensor distance/alignment for all Canon DSLRs the same?? What if I put the lens on a 35mm?

Bottom line folks...you've spent a lot of money for this lens. If you're not happy with it...send it back!

Before calibration:

After calibrations:

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add willardp to your Buddy List
golfher

Registered: Jul 20, 2005
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Looks good, feels good, seems sturdy, and lets me take fantastic pictures
Cons:
It doesn't take out the garbage or clean the house

I have had this lense on my Canon 10d since almost day 1. I had other lenses in the bag and finally decided I was just lugging things around I didn't need anymore. I just supplemented the lense with the 70-200 2.8L IS USM and now I think I have it all covered for me.

I have shot this lense in extremely bright Caribbean sunlight, lowlight, Christmas lights, and flash (you need a real flash to get past the shadow--the onboard won't help you). I do alot of portrait work on the fly, landscapes, and restaurant plates..and I am not disappointed in the range this lense gives me.

It is tough too. This is my walkaround, hike, bike, ski and snowshoe lense and though I treat it well and it isn't scratched, it's only because it's lucky and tough.

If you have to pick one lense to put on a 10d or 20d, this is the one. No question.

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add golfher to your Buddy List
Roisin

Registered: Dec 15, 2004
Review Date: Jul 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00

Pros: Build, colour balance, contrast.
Cons:
Soft across the range, severe chromatic aberration prevalent.

I received a very bad copy of this lens. The CA is really quite appalling, and the sharpness is so minimal over my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM lens that I could hardly believe it. I am using the lens with a EOS 20D.

For 2,200 Australian dollars this was a huge disappointment. I know from the many reviews that this lens is usually a beauty - but gosh knows what I received. The retailer did not appear surprised when we started conversing about the quality issues - perhaps he has seen a few bad copies of this lens pass through his hands.

I live in a regional area, and to freight lenses in and out is a bit of a pain. I'm going to send this one back and just wait to see if the need for it rises again. If it does, I will need to try it in the store to be convinced that a bad copy has not come my way again.

I just have to mention the CA again, it was really bad! Sad The lens sweetspot is at f/4.0 - before and after that, softness and wild purple / green CA just took over with my copy.

Jul 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Roisin to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Jul 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: probably the best mid range zoom out there
Cons:
bit heavy, but then again theres a lot of glass in there..

Have had the Tamron 28-70f2.8XrDi for a while now, and I decided to go for Canons version just to compare results.
Tamron comes very close from f4 upwards, Canon wins hands down at ALL aperatures and zoom settings. Focussing speed on Canon is outstanding, the Tamrons weakness was mainly its focussing, hunting.

Jul 14, 2005