535 905149 Sep 3, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp (for a zoom), well-build, best standart zoom for Canon mount.
Cons:
You have to choose carefully among 3-4 lenses to find a sharp one.

As I already told, I've tested 4 lenses when bying. 2 of them were not sharp at 2,8. Other one seemed to sound a little while focusing. Last one was completly fine.

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
Sea Dragon Rex

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Dec 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,004.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Beautifully sharp picture after calibration and very fast focus. Well built.
Cons:
Had to ship the lens back to Canon right after purchased for "calibration" because the pictures were very soft. After paying so much for this lens, it should have been shooting out the box like it did after "calibration." Would have rated "10" if not for having to ship it back.

I purchased this lens along with the 70-200 2.8L and the 17-85 IS USM to go with my Rebel XT. Right out of the box, I noticed that this lens had considerably softer pictures than either of the other two lenses. After playing with the lens for a week, I decided to send the lens back to Canon to have it checked out.

When I received the lens back, WOW! This is what I paid for. My friend purchased the equivalent Tamron for 1/3 the price but after handling both lenses, I think it's worth the cost difference. Others may comment about the lens feeling heavy but it feel very good to me (I'm used to shooting an old Canon 35mm SLR with FD mounts).

I took about 100 shots this weekend (most indoor w/out flash) and am very happy with the results.

I would have rated this lens a 10 in overall rating if it were not for the fact that I had to send it back for calibration.

Dec 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sea Dragon Rex to your Buddy List
bdtate

Registered: Nov 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, beautiful sharp high contrast images with gorgeous color, f2.8, very fast & quite & accurate focus, ftm focus, great versatility
Cons:
This lens is certainly large and heavy if you are used to using a 50mm prime, however, its size and weight are not particularly bothersome to me.

When I moved to digital photography this was the first lens I bought and it is really a wonderful lense. I have used this lens for nearly two years and I have taken thousands of pleasing photos with it. On my Canon 20D (1.6 FOVCF) the lens is ~38mm to 112mm which I find to be an extremely useful range. In fact, many point-and-shoot consumer cameras have a zoom lens that operates in this range (presumably because of its usefulness).

I have found this lens to be very sharp at f2.8 with only a very slight improvement when stopped down. I have never detected any CA, vignetting or other lens distortion in any photo I have taken with this lens. This lens has very good bokah and it produces very nice portraits. At 24mm (38mm 1.6 FOVCF), it produces very sharp landscape pictures.

I have read many reviews online comparing the 50mm f1.4 to the 24 to 70mm f2.8L. The comparisons usually show the 50mm prime to be a bit sharper (which should not be a great surprise). In practice I have found many times over that the zoom ability of the 24 to 70mm f2.8L offsets the initial sharpness of the 50mm prime. What I mean by this is that I find my pictures (especially pictures of children on the move) to be better framed (which means less cropping). The zoom lens also means that I get a great shot of life in motion many times when I would have missed it with the 50mm prime (sneaker zoom is slow!). If I mainly shot still life or studio portraits, I would probably still go with the prime lenses.

The 24 to 70mm f2.8 blows away the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my 300D and the 28 to 135mm IS Canon consumer lens (this should not be a surprising outcome from an L lens but it is nice to know that it is true) in terms of color, contrast and sharpness.

I highly recommend this lens as an excellent all-pupose choice.

Dec 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bdtate to your Buddy List
JLim

Registered: Oct 1, 2005
Review Date: Dec 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Almost Everything. I even love the weight and size on this lens.
Cons:
Pretty much nothing except for the price.

This is such a great lens. I currently have the 20D and to be honest I'm not too satisfied with the 20D. So, I'll most likely upgrade to the 5D or the 1DIIN very soon and keep

I originally started with the Tamron 28-75 and I was not satisfied with that lens. I also tried the Sigma 24-70 DG Macro, but when I rented the Canon L for couple days, I knew I had to get this lens. I'm glad I spent the extra money (3 times more than the Tamron) to get the L.

Dec 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JLim to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: "L" zoom, cant get better
Cons:
heavy

much better than the Tamrom 28-75, better build, sharper, full time manual focus etc. Top Lens.

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
Gil H

Registered: Feb 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 23, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,250.00

Pros: f2.8, high quality professional glass built like a tank
Cons:
Tanks weigh a LOT, no Image stabilizer, on a 20D with a 1.6x factor it is a 38mm on the wide, not enough range for an all around lens

I recently bought a 24-105 IS f4 L lens and I find it much more suitable for an all around lens.
the 24-70 is just too bulky and the range is just not enough for an all around lens. the lack of an Image Stabilizer makes a big difference, also when this lens is used with the 20D and when the lens is fully extended, the built in flash will illuminate the edge of the lens resulting in a flawed picture that has a dark semi-circle on the bottom, where the Flash beam hit the edge of the lens.
I found out that if you are not very careful regarding what you focus on pictures will lose sharpness, so one must point the focus sensor dead on the subject whe using f2.8, otherwise - no sharpness.
If properly used, and it is not an easy lens to use, stunning pictures are the result, and the colors are just amazing.

This is a pro lens that needs a pro to get professional results.

Nov 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gil H to your Buddy List
JesseNYC

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Nov 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,029.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick AF, tack sharp, contrasty
Cons:

I love this lens. Got rid of my 17-40L and replaced it with this baby. Between this lens and my 70-200L F2.8, I have everything covered between 24-200mm. I thought I would miss the 17-23 range but after careful review of my shots, I found that I never went that wide. Everyone says this lens is heavy. I don't find it heavy at all. I thank my parents for shoving the spinach down my throat!

It was a toss up between this lens and the 24-105L. I could not bring myself to get rid of an f4 for another -- even with the IS.

Nov 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JesseNYC to your Buddy List
SAUMBI

Registered: Nov 22, 2005
Review Date: Nov 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: absulute fantastic build quality, image quality, zoom range, focus speed, weather sealing, smooth operation! ! !
Cons:
still looking!!!! ???? I give up

Ive been checking reveiws on this site for sometime now (9mo.) and have found most of them helpfull. However this lense had me very confused so I am going to try to clear some things up that might help some that are trying to decifer the mixed reveiws for this lense the 24-70 f2.8L.

I have been using the 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD (IF) tamron for the last 9 months and have been extreamly happy with it, so happy I think as of right now I will keep it for the times that I would like to use my 1V and 20D at the same time, (this is usualy my set up for weddings) when I want both cameras set up in the same focal range. It is also an excelent light weight walk around lense. However in just 48 hours of owning the 24-70 F2.8L I have SEEN WHAT I HAVE BEEN MISSING! Yes there is a difference! a big Difference! I am not just comparing it to the tamron but also the 17-40L cannon and for that matter the 70-200 f4L, these are all good lenses but this one is so good it requires less help in photoshop. many say it is not sharp, I wonder if they know how to steady there rig with this much glass, some say it is bad even on a tripod??????? I thought when it first arrived I was ripped off, my batteries were low I never noticed much difference with the other lenses in this state, I charged them and tried it again and WOW, IT HELPED, I SHOT A COUPLE MORE FRAMES AND WELL MAYBE ITS OK, THEN I REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT WHAT I WAS DOING, A FEW MORE SHOTS AND MAN! WOW! LOOKING GOOD!!! Then I realized the sun is down, the light is realy not ideal, Ill wait till tommorow.

Well here we are the next morning and my biggest lens investment is driving me crazy to try it out, but its cloudy, really cloudy. I deciced to take some shots anyway, the first couple were about what I expect from my other lenses, then I thought about what I was doing and spent more time finding a steady hold on this big, and yes heavy glass, now that I have said that, HEAVY GLASS I hope some with not so good results understand!!(heavy glass cannot be whipped up and around like light glass IT IS A DIFFERENT TOOL!! Now that I myself understand that you could not get me to give this lense up for anything! THIS IS WITHOUT RESERVATION THE BEST GLASS THAT I HAVE EVER HAD THE EXPERIENCE OF USING!!!!

In all the years I worked construction as an Iron Worker I never was able to swing a 10 pound sledge hammer as fast, and with the agillity that a carpenter could swing a 20 ounce claw hammer and nail my target, but if I tried to do my job with a claw hammer,,,, well I wouldnt have been able to do my JOB!!!

Ok I hope this helps some understand this lense a little better, just do your job think about what your goal is, the lense is capable of the task you are trying to do more so than any other lense I've tried, but I have to work a little harder to get those perfect results. I absulutly LOVE THIS LENSE!!!!!!!

I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS LENSE!!! OH YES, AND BUY THE WAY, DID I MENTION THAT THIS IS A HEAVY LENSE!!!!!!!!Sometimes the tool you use to get the job done right needs to be a little heavier than the other guys tool to get the job at hand DONE RIGHT!!!!!!! (DONE RIGHT)!!!

Nov 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SAUMBI to your Buddy List
antoleon

Registered: Sep 18, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Building quality, f/2.8, sharpness, reliability, silent, fast. A jewel.
Cons:
No IS, price, size and weight, up to 70mm only. But no con is important at all. It would be THE perfect lens if it had all this.

I was looking for a mid-range zoom with the best possible quality. Something, if that, able to rival with primes in this range. It should be something under f/4. If prize is an evidence of the best, I guest this lens should be one of the best zoom under 2.000 dollars as many reviews say.

Well, I must say this lens is a true jewel. Even big and heavy, it's fast and silent. The open diafragm is quite usable, images are superb and colours are nicely saturated.

Between this lens and the new 24-105 I prefer the 24-70 because of two main reasons: the f/2.8 and the better control of aberrations. IS is good but f/2.8 is better for me. You can control your movement with a tripod but you aren't able to down an f/4 with anything. Using ISO is not an answer since high ISO works for the f/2.8 as well. Since I like dark scenes with natural lights, f/2.8 is key while IS is just an improvement.

After using this lens you fall in love with it.

Nov 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add antoleon to your Buddy List
Wren

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I would not consider the EF 24-105 f/4L an upgrade. It would be a downgrade. Why? A f/2.8L is always better than an f/4.

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wren to your Buddy List
Metzarzar

Registered: Aug 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,030.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fixed 2.8 throughout the entire zoom range Excellent contrast and sharpness Weather sealing
Cons:
A little on the heavy side Price

This is my first Canon "L" Lens. I was skeptical at first because of the price and some of the reports about the variability in quality control. After reading multiple reviews here on FM and other sites I decided to take the plunge and buy it. I have not shot brick walls or resolution charts, but in everyday photography .color contrast and sharpness at around 4 to 5.6 are great with almost no post processing needed. I have used it in studio environments as well as in desert conditions in the middle east and its as good as primes in this range. I could not notice any issues from 4x6 all the way to 11x14.

The build quality of this lens and the weather sealing are superb and it makes me feel that all the other lenses I have (85mm 1.8 and Macro 2.8 USM) pale in comparison.

Price wise its reasonable when you compare the competition's similar offering of 28-70 at $1350. The resale value of it makes is a good investment if you decide to sell later and upgrade to the 24-105L.

Highly recommended

Nov 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Metzarzar to your Buddy List
efoto

Registered: Nov 11, 2005
Review Date: Nov 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,160.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb build quality, tack-sharp at nearly all ranges and aps
Cons:
Weight (problem for some), 2.8 can be a little soft wide open

Excellent lens, my first 'pro' addition. Awesome build quality and superb images. f2.8 is great even indoors with a little ISO help. Highly recommended, you won't regret it.

Nov 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add efoto to your Buddy List
stowman2

Registered: Nov 13, 2003
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp, great colors,
Cons:

Great lens, what else can be said about the best lens that you can pu tin front of any 35mm SLR.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add stowman2 to your Buddy List
rubendpara

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Review Date: Nov 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,159.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: vivid color pics , contrast , Silent AF , sharpness
Cons:
weight for most people . fortunately i eat my wheaties... and you'll would love to be stronger after see the photo prints .

I bought a new copy of this lens , the reason: a few "
unsharp" copies are around there changing from hand to hand .

One of the Finest Zoom Available in the market. Period.

Nov 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rubendpara to your Buddy List
jmraso

Registered: May 25, 2004
Review Date: Nov 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Really sharp at 2.8 from 24 to 70, Ive been lucky this time.
Cons:
Tight zoom from 24 to 50 aprox. which annoys me in delicate zooming situations. extending zoom.

Pretty happy clients when see the printed photos which makes me forget the cons I mentioned.
Jaime
www.jmraso.com

Nov 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jmraso to your Buddy List
RHolst

Registered: Nov 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Nov 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RHolst to your Buddy List