534 904225 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Page:  20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30>  next

Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: A great lens, very sharp, tremendous color, and good range. An excellent wedding and group/full length portrait lens. Solid build, quick autofocus. An overall excellent performer.
Cons:
Smidge heavy, need to be careful with autofocus and hood could be more solid.

Love this lens. A great performer and worthy of my 5D full frame. Great wedding/Bar/Bat Mitzvah and event lens. It focuses quickly even in low light situations and continues to impress me with its consistent performance. Color is excellent, beating the third party lenses in this category and the improvement from the 28-70 is significant, in quality of images and quite a bit wider. BG and FG blur is exceptional. I am spoiled bu this lens. Would love a bit more reach, but I will just move my feet until Canon makes an upgrade. Tremendous performer

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
kennyahn

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Mar 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: contrast, sharpness, saturation, f/2.8
Cons:
a bit heavy to carry around all day

I had the 28-70mm f/2.8L until I just recently purchased the 24-70mm f/2.8L. There's not a whole lot of difference since the 28-70L is a great lens, but the 24-70 shows all around enhancements that I'm so thankful for! If you can afford it, get it.

Mar 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kennyahn to your Buddy List
sohet

Registered: Feb 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,165.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp even at f2.8. It's a zoom and at 24mm, don't compare the sharpness with a telephoto lens or prime lens. Very fasty AF with the 1-series cam. Allows very low light shooting that still freezes subject.
Cons:
None. Maybe only reach.

Great lens if you intend to move to flashless photography. The f4 of the 24-105 was the deal killer. f2.8 has better AF with 1-series cam with more vertical cross hair type sensors with lens brighter than or equal to f2.8.,

Mar 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sohet to your Buddy List
IdeaDirect

Registered: Feb 22, 2006
Review Date: Mar 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing image quality, nice fast focus, exellent color, contrast sharpness, fast lens.
Cons:
Weight. minor gripe (lens block built-in flash of 20D at about 24-30mm causing flash vignetting)

I love this lens. Initially I thought it was too heavy for an everyday lens but this lens stays on my camera about 80% of the time. I thought of trading it for the 24-105f4 because that lens seemed a bit smaller and image quality seemed comparable. But I really do use f2.8-4 quite a bit. I like the blurred backgrounds and ability to shoot in fairly low light so I opted to keep my 24-70.

There are lots of praise for this lens and there is a reason for that. This lens is built like a tank and takes amazing pictures.

Mar 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add IdeaDirect to your Buddy List
Phast1

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Posts: 2082
Review Date: Feb 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,090.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great focal range, fast.
Cons:
Heavy

I love this focal range for all around use. It's my walkaround lens and I definitely bring it when travelling. I'm on my 3rd copy. My first one was tack sharp. Second copy was a little soft on the wide end but nothing to complain about. My 3rd is awesome on the whole range. I sold the previous copy's to fund other purchases otherwise this is definitely a keeper lens.

Very good L saturation and contrast. Having used this lens on and off for 18 months I'm at ease saying it's very worth the price. It has helped me produce stunning images as far as superior color rendition and sharpness go.

I've also used this lens in poorly lit sporting events with great success. My preferred lens for this is the 35L but if I needed the range I'd be happy to have this lens in the bag.

Used on: 20D, 1DMkII-N

Highly reccomended

Feb 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Phast1 to your Buddy List
Leehman

Registered: Mar 29, 2005
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality,, fast, sharp, a pleasure to use
Cons:
heavy, but I knew that before buying.

I have been using this lens for three months.
I like this lens in combination with 70x200 f/2.8 Is on a 1.6 crop camera. Solved the heavy lens issue with a good monopod, which I should be using when ever possible anyway.
Waiting to test in on a full frame soon.

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Leehman to your Buddy List
CPSLOPHOTO

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Review Date: Feb 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,139.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great lens. Beautiful color, contrast, and focuses pretty fast.
Cons:
Sometimes I wish it would focus quicker in low light, but it could be my 20D. I don't mind the weight that many people complain about.

Considering what this lens is meant to do (wide angle to telephoto) this is an outstanding lens. I use this for everything from weddings, portraits, and landscapes. Granted, the focal length isn't ideal on a 1.6x, but this is a great lens if you needed just one lens to get you through low light situations.

Feb 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CPSLOPHOTO to your Buddy List
barabus

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Feb 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, great color, well built
Cons:
too heavy, more zoom would be great, reverse zoom take soom getting used to.

Better than the 24-105 at the widest angle. Do not need the 24mm all the time, but this zoom is handy. Use this lens most frequently when I am not doing telephoto.

Feb 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add barabus to your Buddy List
Konthai

Registered: May 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, fast
Cons:
CA

Have been using it for sometime now... image quality is excellent! I hope I have $ to get the body to match this lens.

Try the 24-105 IS the other day but still prefer this one.

Feb 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Konthai to your Buddy List
parks1510

Registered: Feb 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,149.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, color depth, bokeh. A true pleasure to work with.

Feb 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add parks1510 to your Buddy List
fotki

Registered: Feb 7, 2005
Review Date: Feb 8, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Nice randge. Solid build.
Cons:
Soft, soft, soft

First one was a dud. Erratic focussing and overall softness made it useless, just a very expensive paperweight!

Second one was slightly better but still very far from what one would expect from L glass. ( I also use a 70-200mm L and a 35mm L ) even my 10-22 mm produces better results...

Third one (direct from Canon Canada) was just like the second one... SOFT !

After 6 months of back and forth to Canon service center and many phone calls and hundreds of pictures I couldnt use, I gave up on this lens... and I after reading the reviews of the new 24-105mm I am not even tempted to try it.

If you enjoy testing lenses these are good choices but if you need sharp high quality glass to produce consistent high quality work, forget it.

Feb 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fotki to your Buddy List
Juliansimon

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Location: Chile
Review Date: Feb 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Rápido, Luminoso, Confiable y durable construcción.
Cons:
Es un poco pesado, pero eso me gusta por la estabilidad que ofrece.

Hola, tengo este lente desde hace 10 dias y la verdad es que me ha dejado sin palabras.Es extremadamente bueno en todo aspecto, construccion, luminosidad, respuesta, es lo que estaba buscando desde hace mucho tiempo.
Yo lo uso con mi 20D y la verdad es que lo único que me incomoda es el factor de corte, pero en mi caso no es muy limitante a la hora de hacer fotos de retratos en estudio por ejemplo.
Creo que el peso de 950g. es bastante para un lente, pero me da confianza y estabilidad al momento de tomar una foto.
El precio es alto, pero después de que uno lo coloca en la camara, todo el malestar producido por haber pagado tanto dinero desaparece al comprobar el verdadero porque de este alto precio: su calidad en todo sentido, pero sobretodo en la imagen, es en pocas palabras excepcional.
Mi 20D tambien es nueva y llego junto al lente, por lo que debo decir que tengo mucho menos efectivo en el bolsillo, pero mucha satisfaccion al momento de tomar mis fotos.
Julián Montoni
Santiago de Chile

Feb 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Juliansimon to your Buddy List
changkw

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Constrast and color, especially in low light. F/2.8 usable, F/4 tack sharp.
Cons:
Size/weight but managable when you get used to it. Big Hood.

Why not 24mm-105mm IS:
I shoot a lot of interior/architecture in lower light condition. I decided not to get 24-105mm IS, due to its more obvious distortion on both ends.

F/2.8, F/4 and DOF:
This lens is also used as a general PORTRAIT lens. Nice OOF background blur. I tested some shots with F/2.8 and F/4 to see the difference of OOF. Honestly, not dramatically different especially on 1.6Crop body. But still "recognizably" different.

When I say the F/2.8 is usable, means the sharpness is acceptable, especailly we need to consider the shallow DOF would easily make the image not that sharp. When I took shots of something with higher color/texture contrast, the result of F/2.8 is quite nice (not amazing, but quite pleasing).

I used 24mm f/1.4 before. I feel like on all faster lenses: The sharpness issue in wide open is considerably improvable with good management of DOF and choice of objects. (I am talking about fast lenses with shorter focal length. Not the DOF thing on the amazing 70-200mm)

Happy Shooting~

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add changkw to your Buddy List
Liquidpics

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Feb 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from f/2.8 on.... The build quality alone is enough to choose this lens over the third party varieties. On a full frame camera it's got the best focal range- wide to medium telephoto.
Cons:
It's the HEAVIEST lens for it's size you'll ever handle. I'm still not sure if it's that's negative though.

Feb 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidpics to your Buddy List
skb558

Registered: Jan 18, 2006

Pros: Image quality, build quality, colour reproduction.
Cons:

Some people have had issues with this lens and their are numerous complaints about it's size and weight. I don't have a concern about either.

It's quality in all aspects is excellent. I've taken some informal test shots and it is sharp across all focal lengths. Someone said it is weak at 70mm wide open so I took a few shots and yes it is weaker than at f4 and f8 but it is still very sharp.

I shoot primarily in RAW and without any sharpening in Rawshooter Premium the images are very satisfying to me.

It's not cheap but you know that when you go into the shop.
Get one.

Feb 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skb558 to your Buddy List
Rob_287

Registered: Oct 23, 2004
Review Date: Jan 31, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image quality, handling - everything you would expect from a L series zoom.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

Stunning lens in every respect, if you are used to pro bodies and other L series zooms it doesn't seem heavy at all. The overall feel is superb, it just oozes quality. As for the images it produces, I have used it on a 5D and 1Ds Mark II and the results are stunning, no complaints whatsoever. If you need and f/2.8 lens then this is the one, if you don't need the extra stop then seriously consider the 24-105 f/4 L IS which is also excellent - it all comes down to what you need to get the job done!

Jan 31, 2006