534 904010 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

costacho

Registered: Oct 10, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, CA, silent fast focus, color
Cons:
QC

Struggled with the lens for 6 month. 5 times returned to CANON for back-focus, miss-focus, sharpness problems. The biggest problem was that lens did not focus reliable when wider than 34mm (I was using only a center AF spot).

CANON tech finally replaced element responsible for focusing and I did not need to shoot 10 to select one anymore.

Lens is a gem. It is comparable with primes on F8. It focuses fast and quiet. It is usable on F2.8 and demonstrates a serious sharpness from F3.5 with slight improvement till F8.0. CA are very minimal on corners and mainly on 24mm.

Colors are real and photos are popping up.

I would recommend this lens for a persistent person who can get a good working sample. Result will cost every penny.

Apr 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add costacho to your Buddy List
dly1009

Registered: Apr 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super silent fast autofocus. The color and contrast is mindblowing. The sharpness, is almost not possible to describe...you truly have to get one for yourself to see! The first few my wife and I through on the laptop to judge, made our mouthes water. The quality you receive from the lens is just impressive. You will sell more work due to its quality than you ever paid for the lens! We purchased both the 24-70 2.8L along with its big brother (or sister) the 70-200 2.8L IS. All we can say..."is we are speechless" well, say...speechless, you get the idea!
Cons:
Absolutely nothing...the only negtive thing is they dare put the blank space here for negative things....how dare they! ;)

Like Nike...Just do it...here, Canon, "Just Get It"

Apr 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dly1009 to your Buddy List
mecg

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and silent focus, stunningly sharp pictures, outstanding build quality
Cons:

This lens blows away every other lens I own, hands down. In fact, I put 4 lenses on eBay within 3 days of receiving this lens (a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, a Sigma 18-125 f/3.5-5.6, a Canon 35mm f/2 prime, and a Canon 24mm f/2.8 prime). The difference in sharpness and detail of the pics taken with this lens vs. these other 4 was astounding to me - even between the primes and this lens. If I hadn't seen the difference with my own eyes I'm not sure I would've believed it.

I read somewhere where someone said he/she doesn't have to sharpen the pics they take with this lens. I didn't really believe that when I read it, but I do now. And, I don't have to sharpen my pics with this lens, either.

Yeah, it's a tad heavy and a tad bulky, but those are very small inconveniences when compared to the quality of the lens and the pics it allows you to capture. All I can say is if the pic(s) I take are sucky it's not because of my lens or Rebel XT - that fault is gonna fall squarely on my shoulders. ;-)

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mecg to your Buddy List
rolfy

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Apr 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,197.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.8, fast focus, sharp, sharp, sharp!
Cons:

Expensive but you get paied by quality! I don't regret.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rolfy to your Buddy List
rolfy

Registered: Jul 10, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Apr 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,197.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.8, fast focus, sharp, sharp, sharp!
Cons:

Expensive but you get paied by quality! I don't regret.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rolfy to your Buddy List
bleek

Registered: Feb 14, 2006
Review Date: Apr 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.8, fast focus, dang sharp!
Cons:
price, weight(but got used to it)

you get what you pay for.

Apr 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bleek to your Buddy List
timn2087

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Apr 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $799.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: VERY fast focusing
Cons:
Very soft at 70mm 2.8

My copy seems to be very soft at 70mm 2.8. Maybe I got a bad copy? I've only ever heard glowing reports on this lens, and all considered, it is a pretty awsome lens.... I'd be interested if anyone else has experienced this problem. My email is: wanyarra[at]hotmail.com

Apr 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add timn2087 to your Buddy List
sky_barker

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Review Date: Apr 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, sharpness, contrast, focus
Cons:
Size

This lens replaced several L primes. No regrets.

Apr 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sky_barker to your Buddy List
Lt Quang

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, Wide open, Colour, Sharpness, Contrast and very detailed. Simply it can not be beaten
Cons:

This is one of the best medium zoom lenses Canon has ever made. It's heavy but you will soon used to it and love that. Sharpness (perfect from corners to corners), contrast and colour are top notch. I also have 24-105L but to be honest I will put it on Ebay soon. The 24-105L is as sharp as 24-70L but not as detailed. Also 24 -70 creates very smooth, creamy colour and ideal for portraiture as well as landscapes. This lens is 90% on my 1D Mk2 and 20D.
Highly recommended!!!!

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lt Quang to your Buddy List
Master-9

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Apr 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and great color
Cons:

This lens stays on my 20d all the time. I am so glad that I bought this lens...

Apr 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Master-9 to your Buddy List
LeonD

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Review Date: Apr 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything about this lens is good.
Cons:
Its too expensive.

I bought it thinking of replacing my 50 1.4 which was out for repair.I ended up taking it back 2 weeks after since i decided i coudnt afford it at the moment.
I was a bit unsure due to all the nonsense ive heard of bad copies.I think people are full of it,the lens was amazing,sharp in every situation i used it.No i did not do any pathetic pixel peeping measurbating tests,i did not "mount it on a tripod and shoot a brick wall wide open and view 100% unprocessed crops",man anybody who does stupid garbage like that needs to get a life.Excellent autofocus(i used it for nightclub events,didnt miss a shot),really nice range(even on my 20D) and incredible build.I LOVE the build of this lens,its truly well pieced together.
Its minimal focus distance is also very nice.Man i wish i could afford this lens now.Ive also used a 24-105 F4 IS,i dont think it can compare to this one.Sure its more "versatile" but this one truly excels at its range.It focuses WAY faster in low light thanks to its 2.8 max aperture and has a much nicer minimum focus distance.
I would never consider the 24-105 over this.I hardly find IS critical for any range under 200 but it is nice to have though.
If you can afford this lens,go get one right now.

Apr 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LeonD to your Buddy List
decoy.no

Registered: Sep 19, 2004
Review Date: Mar 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent images, superb bokeh.
Cons:

This is the walkaround lens on my Canon 20D. It's a bit heavy, but when I use the battery grip it's perfectly balanced.

Every picture is a keeper with this baby.

Mar 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add decoy.no to your Buddy List
slmphoto

Registered: May 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, it is true what they say about L glass. This is my first and I should have joined the pro glass club sooner.
Cons:
So many people say the weight is a con, but with the battery pack and a good size flash it feels balanced.

It is true... you get what you pay for. Any self respecting professional should get with professional glass. Have been shooting wedding and portraits for 5 years and will never turn back to inferior glass. If you don't have the money, go in debt!

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slmphoto to your Buddy List
Wirelezzz

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp but not as Sharp as my Prime 60MM Micro Excellent Color / Fast Focus all the time.
Cons:
NON

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wirelezzz to your Buddy List
yanka

Registered: Dec 17, 2005
Location: Latvia
Review Date: Mar 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,344.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast, quality, f2.8, L ...

great lens
test samples resize & crop

Mar 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yanka to your Buddy List
Danny Calhoun

Registered: Jul 7, 2005
Review Date: Mar 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good zoom range 24/70. F2.8
Cons:
No IS

I waited to after taking 1,000 pictures plus before rating this lens. I have taken many great shots with very few surprises.

IS would make this lens perfect.

Mar 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Danny Calhoun to your Buddy List

534 904010 Mar 26, 2014