535 906721 Sep 3, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Jae Park

Registered: Oct 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Clear, silent, fast
Cons:
HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY

Of course, the price I have put in was the price 3 years ago, so I would have been satisfied with the price today ($500 cheaper!! When did this happen??)

All I can say is that this lens is definately worth your investment. It is fast, accurate, and well-built.

I loved the photos it produced. Crisp and clean (but as always, a bit soft on the open apeture end.)

I have sold the one I got 3 years ago, but plan to buy another one soon.

The only thing about this lens: HEAVY.

And the only thing that kept me using this lens as long as I did was because of the Canon handstrap I bought with it.

Overall, highly recommended lens.

Oct 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jae Park to your Buddy List
ramuman

Registered: Sep 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, build quality, AF
Cons:
Consdering its a zoom, none

This is a superb zoom. The AF speed is among the fastest of any lens I've used (including other Ls) on a 5D. The lens is sharp within reason at 2.8 and great by 4.0. As it should at this price, it has very little geometric distortion, almost no CA and good edge to edge sharpness. Flaring is just about a non-factor.

It will get bested by primes wide open, but unless you're shooting an ISO chart, you probably won't really be bothered by it. It's one of my two favorite lenses (along with the 70-200 2.8 IS) and I am very happy with my purchase.

I'm not sure why there are complaints about AF speed and weight here. The AF on this lens is very fast on a 5D. I don't think there is any lens in this focal range, zoom or prime that has a much if it all faster AF. Second the weight is the end result of all these positives - a reverse zooming, parafocal, constant aperture lens with this IQ that reaches into the wide angle region.

My only real complaint is that I think all L lenses should have a 5 year warranty, not 1.

Oct 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ramuman to your Buddy List
Stuart Roll

Registered: Oct 13, 2006
Review Date: Oct 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Size,
Cons:

Very sharp with 5D body, nice size on 5D, looks silly on 400d as its bigger than 400d body.

Oct 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stuart Roll to your Buddy List
Ross T.

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast...Super SHARP!!!
Cons:

Just a Fantastic Lens....Excellent Build....Weather Proof....Super SHARP....FAST!!!! :^)

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ross T. to your Buddy List
mholdef

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good contrast, color and sharpness at center and edges throughout (on Canon 5D).
Cons:
Not as good on wide end but good to have 24mm for "emergency use"

Up until recently I was an "all primes" man, having shot Leica for a number of years. I converted to digital last year and since my love for photography has only grown.

Looking for lenses that I could use for travel, I invested in the 24-70L.

I was very pleased with the result, even wide open, and made comparisons with the 35/1.4L. The 24-70L held its own very well against the 35L, being a bit behind in f/2.8 to f/5.6 range but beyond there is little noticeable difference.

This said, in the f/2.8 to f/5.6 range, the lens is very good.

Very difficult to ask more from a zoom lens in my opinion and I'd highly recommend it to any own, particularly those shooting full frame.

Mark

Oct 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mholdef to your Buddy List
dottò

Registered: Jan 4, 2005
Review Date: Sep 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Extremely versatile, 2.8, sharpness
Cons:
AF could possibly be faster, price

I bought this beast mainly for weddings, and man, it is like bread and butter. It's so versatile that it's just amazing how many shots you can take.

However, I recommend you carefully think about your equiment and shooting situations before buying it. My review here is based on weddings. If you shoot on a 1.3 or 1.6 crop DSLR this lens is very appropriate, even though in some situations you may find yourself missing wide angle coverage. If you shoot FF, film or digital, the 24-105 may be a better choice, assuming image quality is the same. I shoot FF and at times I found myself lacking the extra 35 mm when trying portraits.

Other than this there's not much to say, I just want to leave a couple of lines about:

- weight and size. I didn't have much trouble carrying it around, the only thing about weight is that you probably won't be able to handhold the camera with long shutter times. As to size, use a battery for a better grip.

- AF. It is fast, not super fast, and I haven't checked it out in low light situations.

Now you may wonder why I haven't said anything about sharpness blah blah blah.... Before and after buying this lens I was a little worried because of the many complaints I read, here on FM and elsewhere... Well, apparently I got a good copy.

Overall this lens kicks ass, it does everything it is supposed to. Is it worth the extra cash when compared to other similar range zooms (eg Sigma 24-70)? I don't know, probably not, but it's nice to see a red ring on your camera...

Happy shooting

Sep 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dottò to your Buddy List
Pell

Registered: Apr 26, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, L build, Weather Seal, Range, Speed
Cons:
None. I hear Quality Control on this lens is poor. I lucked out. Like ANY lens out there, could benifet from IS.

My copy of this lens is fantastic. It is sharp as a tack at F8 (sharp as the 135 in this case). It is quite sharp at 2.8 as well.

It is unfortunate this lens varies from copy to copy, because If everyone was lucky enough to get a copy like mine, this lens would surely get a 9.5 rating.

Sep 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pell to your Buddy List
jerrybsmith

Registered: Jul 31, 2005
Review Date: Aug 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: 24-70 covers most shots I take. Built like a tank
Cons:
Heavy. Not as sharp at 2.8 as I would expect.

I've always felt it more important to build a collection of quality glass that will last while updating cameras as technonogy changes. I had my copy for almost a year and was happy with the results but suspected it was a little too soft so I sent it to Canon to calibrate. What came back was amazing. It is now so sharp it is like having a completely new lens. This is a great lens.

Aug 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jerrybsmith to your Buddy List
AFFD

Registered: Jul 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Useful range, good walk around lens, pictures need little post processing
Cons:
A little long and heavy

I have been using this lens as my primary walk around lens for about six months. I just did two political fund raisers with lens and found it exceptionally useful. At the last one, I shot around 500 pictures in about two hours and this lens produced a very high number of keepers that have required not post-processing. It's probably my most useful lens and produced some exceptionally good portraits with and without flash.

Highly recommended.

By way of comparison, I have the 17-40 F4L, the 23-85 F3.5, the 70-200 F2.8L in addition to a selection of fast primes.

Aug 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AFFD to your Buddy List
tutumon

Registered: Jan 3, 2006
Review Date: Aug 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, Fast, Beautifull image quality
Cons:
Weight, but we all know that

I have had two copies of this lens. I bought the first one from B&H, but decided to sell it because I was taken aback with its weight. I've never owned a bin lens before and it was too much. I sold that lens on the forum, but started having withdrawls since the day I shipped it out. It was an exceptional copy to boot. So I bought another copy from a forum member, which also turned out to be a very good copy. I'd never sell this lens. Even if I do not use it everyday, it is so versatile.

Aug 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tutumon to your Buddy List
pupsikus

Registered: Aug 3, 2006
Review Date: Aug 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: build, hood
Cons:
too big for my bag focus problems

wanted to have something better than my EF-S 17-85 and had focus problems with Sigmas 18-50. Hence wanted to try something different and ordered 24-70 2,8 and 24-105 4,0 (not so much on target). When I looked at picturs taken with the 24-70 I was very disappointed. Maybe I did something wrong but I saw some brownish blurr around some people I took pictures of when shooting with light from the side wide open and focus was not really stable (maybe a problem of the body? But my other lenses work fine, even the EF 100 2,8). However if correctly focussed and light from behind, pictures are razor sharp.

Hence I seem to confirm quality control problems with this lens (I tried 2 different ones and returned them both).
I decided to go for the 24-105 even if it is slower than desired and after a calibration and cleaning journey to Canon I am very happy with it.

Overall, stopped down to 3,5 with proper focus, the 24-70 is hard to beat.

Aug 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pupsikus to your Buddy List
rslee

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Sharp, and Fast
Cons:
Weight - I actually like it as long as I am not hiking with it.

It took me while to post a review for this lens. I guess I was having too much fun with it. One of my favorite lens. I can’t say enough good things about it. I also own 24-105L. They are equally nice but I notice that I am using 24-70 more.

It appears that many people have different experiences with this lens. I guess I am lucky to have a good copy on the first shot. For those who are reading these reviews, please take in to a consideration that more dissatisfied customers will be likely to post a review than the satisfied customers. I have read all the available reviews on this forum before I purchased all my equipment. 10-15% bad reviews never bothered me.

If you use this focal length, get it!!

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rslee to your Buddy List
TeeCee

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 24, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Build quality
Cons:
Poor calibration. SOFT, SOFT, SOFT New rating 3

My second replacement copy was as bad as the first. I'm off to buy a 135 f2 L. Shame, I did want the convienience of the 24-70.

Jul 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TeeCee to your Buddy List
TeeCee

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Review Date: Jul 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Feel, Weight! 2.8 brightness
Cons:
Lousy calibration

This is my first review. Having used film for 30 years and digital compact for 5, I have been waiting for some time to go DSLR. Due to my budget I could go 5D but lenses need to be good or 30D and some L glass lenses. I decided for the latter and start with a 24-70 2.8L. Having read all the reviews on this lens I felt there was a chance I wouldn't get a sharp copy. I figured it was worth the risk and bought the 30D and the 24-70 together.

The 30D impressed instantly with feel and weight. The lens did too and I found it pleasantly weighted. Together they are very well balanced. I took about 100 test shots of varying conditions and when I looked at the very clear screen, they nearly all looked soft. The colours and contrast were good as was light capturing but did not look any different to a kit lens. No 'Wow' factor.

After loading the software and downloading I realised I had a poorly calibrated lens. The colour and contrast were brilliant but every shot was soft. So I am sending it back for another gamble of a replacement. If I don't get a sharp copy by the third I will go with primes.

I hope Canon read these reviews and do something about their internal quality control and calibration, it is really irritating.

Jul 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TeeCee to your Buddy List
Mister W

Registered: Jul 8, 2006
Review Date: Jul 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, Amazing detail in images captured,
Cons:
Price (£1200.00 in Jessops at time of my purchase)

After doing my duty on the smaller basic lens's, I decide to upgrade to the 24-70mm f2.8 lens.

I was amazed at how great this len is for taking landscape shots. I own a 100-400 IS L lens, as well as a 35-135 lens, and find that the 24-70 is the main lens on my camera.

I have been able to get some great shots with this lens, coupled with my 300D body (please see http://www.mrw.smugmug.com) and would not change this for the world.

I can't wait to attach this to my new Canon 1DS MKII coming shortly, as I feel that the increase in mega pixels will make for an even better photo.

Price is a bit of a put off. Was priced at £1200.00 at Jessops at the time of my purchase, but I was lucky enough to find a deal on Ebay for £870.00.

At the end of the day, if you can afford the lens, buy it. You'll get good shots, and great clarity in the photos.

Jul 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mister W to your Buddy List
richandy

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Jun 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp!!!, tack sharp, one of my best lens. Worth every penny.
Cons:

I have had some great photos from this lens, one of the best in my bag, might be a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you can afford it buy it.

Jun 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add richandy to your Buddy List

535 906721 Sep 3, 2014