535 904698 Sep 3, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

Rahul Rangan

Registered: Jan 7, 2007
Review Date: Feb 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, almost silent and FAST AF, Excellent quality, free manual focus
Cons:
Weight of a small child, slightly soft wide open

Excellent lens. I picked it up about two weeks ago (used) and have since shot about 800 images. I never want to put it down! This has quickly become my favorite all-purpose lens. I don't think I've taken it off my camera since I've gotten it (except for cleaning purposes). Highly reccommended.

Feb 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rahul Rangan to your Buddy List
bocaminus

Registered: Apr 19, 2006
Review Date: Feb 25, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: Range, built, quality
Cons:

This is my second review. I shoot with FF bodies and this lens remains on most of the time on my camera. After almost a year using it, I have to say this lens is one of the best zoom glass Canon ever made. I use 17-40, 70-200 f/2.8 and 16-35L but 24-70 always keeps the top spot on my list. I read many reviews in here where folks are complaining that 24-70L is not as sharp as some L primes ... that's completely normal cause I haven't seen one zoom lens that outperforms L prime.
24-70L does excellent job in low light conditions. I think it's fast, accurate and very versatile. It looks and feels very solid and durable .... built to survive WWIII.

Some recent shots I took with 24-70 ... http://senicphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2488612#130600583

Feb 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bocaminus to your Buddy List
seattlesteve

Registered: Oct 1, 2005
Review Date: Feb 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: beautiful bokeh, very fast focus lock, good color/contrast, great L build quality
Cons:
big hood, not quite wide enough on a 1.6 body

I've gone through several different lenses looking for the right 'walk around' lens. First was the 28-135 IS then the 17-85 IS and then the 24-70. The 24-70 was a breath of fresh air for shooting in lower light. The lens was eventually sold to purchase the outstanding 17-55 IS which was much more usable on cropped body. I would probably go back to the 24-70 if upgrading to a ff sensor.

Feb 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add seattlesteve to your Buddy List
peanuthead

Registered: Jul 12, 2006
Review Date: Feb 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,060.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast and accurate autofocus, sturdy build, handling, hood performance, sharp wide open
Cons:
Heavy, big.

This lens replaced my 24-105mm 4L IS which I also loved. This lens is very sharp wide open at all focal lengths. Focusing is very fast and accurate as expected. There is slight distortion at 24mm, but much better than 24-105mm. I really like the build and handling. Hood design is excellent - I like the fact that it attaches to the main body rather than the zooming part - feels much more sturdy and sure.
Overall, a great serious lens that performs at the highest level in every aspect.

Feb 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add peanuthead to your Buddy List
Jeff Beck

Registered: Jan 5, 2007
Review Date: Feb 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality feel, great images, fast-spot on autofocus
Cons:
A little bulky and a little pricey, but well worth it in both regards

I picked mine up a month ago from BH at the same time as my 30D, also picked up a 50 1.8 for grins. 3200 exposures later my 50 has recorded maybe 25 of them, the 28-135IS I've had for a while has become a memory.

This lens is excellent. I truly feel bad for the people who have had problems with theirs, this thing is great.

Feb 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Beck to your Buddy List
S. PINSON

Registered: Feb 10, 2007
Review Date: Feb 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good range on FF ; Very well built ; Very Sharp.
Cons:

If you have a FF camera, this is THE lens you must have.

Feb 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add S. PINSON to your Buddy List
golden1245

Registered: May 25, 2006
Review Date: Feb 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Colours are saturated and contrasty, very solid build, not as big as you'd think it'd be. Pretty sharp at F2.8, very sharp from F4 and beyond.
Cons:
None that I can think of right now!

Like many people, I read through countless reviews and studied pages and pages of pictures tagged with Canon 24-70mm on Flickr, Smugmug etc before buying due to mixed reviews. But I bit the bullet and bought this beast to go with my 30D. I already had the 20mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8 and the 50mm f1.4, but i was tired of switching lenses at events, that and the 20mm F2.8 was crummy, but the other two were awesome lenses and I was afraid to part with them to finace the zoom but I'm glad I did.

Maybe I got a good copy?? But definately worthy of L quality, usually the widest aperature isn't quite usuable on most lenses (like my 20 f2,8 which was sharp starting at f6.3?!), but 2.8 on this lense is very sharp already, by 4 it's amazing. Focusing it super fast, Heavy but solid and balanced. Needs steadier hands to take shots, but that can be perfected with practice. Shots are contrasty and saturated, I love it!

It's not as sharp as my 50mm f1.4 was, but the colours are much nicer.

Feb 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add golden1245 to your Buddy List
Simon Pope

Registered: Feb 1, 2007
Review Date: Feb 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, Excellent colour and contrast, Nicely balanced on the 5D with Batt Grip
Cons:
Lens hood is pretty big but does the job well

A real workhorse of a lens. I bought it new and have worked it hard for a couple of years and with all the abuse it has taken it is still dead sharp.

As a walk around lens it covers 80% of shots that I require and copes well with low light and bad weather that I am often faced with in this country!

When I use this lens for my interior shoots and in the studio it really comes into its own prducing fantastic colour repoduction and contrast.

I was tempted and tried the newer 24-105 f/4 L IS but found that it didn't perform to as high a standard even with the IS.

I highly recommend this lens

Feb 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Simon Pope to your Buddy List
Tom Steele

Registered: Dec 15, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It is well built, with good crisp L glass and is a solid performer.
Cons:
It does not have IS and it is fairly large and heavy.

I wanted to love this lens, I really did. I researched it like crazy and was excited to use it. But I find myself reaching for my 70-200 f/4 L IS most of the time.

I'm an amateur and camera shake is still my enemy. I have gotten some very sharp images out of this lens (even at 1/80), so I know I have a good copy, but I also get too many images that aren't crisp.

It is me - not the lens, but it still says something that I can pick up my 70-200 f/4 L IS or 100-400 L IS and take excellent, crystal clear photos while this lens leaves me with more throwaways by far.

In short, there is nothing wrong with the lens, but I believe it would be much more lens for the money if it included IS. If I had it to do over again, I might have gone for the 24-105 f/4 L IS lens. I'm going to hang onto it for a while though, and see if I can improve enough to take better advantage of this lens, and if not - someone here can take it off my hands and make magic with it. It's a good lens.

Jan 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Steele to your Buddy List
dpanicc1

Registered: Oct 21, 2003
Review Date: Jan 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00

Pros: The image quality is excellent--tack sharp with good color and contrast.
Cons:
You're lucky if it focuses where you want it to focus.

I would have given this lens a completely different review if 20 percent of my photos not in focus, were in focus. I have had iot back to Canon three times and it is still not right. It is now a paperweight and I would never sell it on eBay for fear my rating would decline. Too bad because when it works it works well. I may have a bad copy--a lemon--but others have the same complaint about this lens.

Jan 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dpanicc1 to your Buddy List
beaucroft

Registered: Oct 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a brick, sharp across range, great bokeh, has a pretty red line around it.
Cons:
Weight of a brick, lens hood size, awkward lens cap, pricey

This is a hell of a lens. It is my do-it-all lens and I now rarely use primes in this range. Autofocus is completely silent and fast. Colour is accurate with very little fringing of high-contrast areas.

Have used this lens with spectacular results on a 10D and a 20D. I now have a full-frame 5D and this lens has really come alive. At 24mm it is excellent.

It carries a big price-tag, but then I've spent a fortune on sub-standard lenses that didn't cut it, so sold off at a loss. Conclusion: buy cheap, buy twice - buy this.

Below are a few examples taken with it:

Jan 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add beaucroft to your Buddy List
frostyIntrepid

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: good build, fast AF
Cons:
weight

when I first got my copy, it tends to backfocus a little and autofocusing seems inconsistent at 24mm. Sent it in for calibration and it's tack sharp now, even wide open.

Jan 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add frostyIntrepid to your Buddy List
John Abbey

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: The lens is very well made and produces sharp images stopped down. Makes a pretty good portrait lens on a 1.6x body.
Cons:
My copy is soft and not very sharp at 2.8. The focal range is also a little odd on a 1.6 crop camera like the 20D.

Overall I am happy with lens. However, I find my copy is not very sharp when shooting wide open at 2.8. It is very sharp when stopped down to around f/5.6. It is a good general purpose lens for a 1.6x crop camera, but it is not very wide. The lens is also heavy on a 20D but it does not bother me as it is made well. The zoom and focus rings are very smooth and seem to be made well. I am just kind of dissapointed that it is not very sharp at 2.8.

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Abbey to your Buddy List
n210s

Registered: May 6, 2005
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great construction. Very solid. Extremely fast focus and very accurate. Excellent weather sealant. Very sharp from f2.8, nice brokeh, extremely good color.
Cons:

This is my second of this lens(sold it when I was using film). I had recently bought the 5D, so this lens is back. This particular one is sharper then my first one. Having used the 28-80L and 28-70L, this is the best of the three. It's very sharp at wide open and has very nice contrasty color. Distortion at wide open is very little. I was debating this and the 24-105IS. We can go on and on about the two lens, but I opted for this because of f2.8. It is a perfect combo as I can go iso1000-1600 on the 5D at f2.8 and still freeze my subject in low light condition. The weight doesn't bother me at all since I am used to carry around the 1D, 28-80L,70-700IS and 550EX. This lens is a must for general or wedding photography. It is well built and extremely rugged. Recommended!!

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add n210s to your Buddy List
peter qu

Registered: Dec 7, 2006
Review Date: Jan 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: None
Cons:
Two bad copies. May be I am unlucky.

There are probably bad copies of this lens out there and I was unlucky enough to get two lens in a row that are bad.

First one has back-focus problem. Shooting test against 18-55mm kitlens, 50mm f/1.8 and 28-135mm IS confirms the problem. Return to BH photo for exchange.

Second lens is even worse. The electrical contact on the lens has problem. It won't communicate with the camera. When I first mount the lens onto the camera, it works fine. After a new shoot, it stops working. The camera can't autofocus it and can't shoot. The ERR 99 message on the camera confirms it is a bad copy.

So, I am returning it too.

This makes me really appreciate my 28-135 IS lens and 50mm f/1.8. I really want to love 24-70L, but, it disappoints me twice already.

Jan 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add peter qu to your Buddy List
reedtess

Registered: Feb 4, 2006
Review Date: Jan 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very fast AF,well built,sharp, just the right size and weight for me
Cons:

It's purely a joy working with this lens.I sold all my lenses(60mm macro,50mm 2.5 and 70-200 f4) and my Rebel XT to acquire 30d with Canon 24-70 and I have never regret what I did.
I needed one lens that can do most of my photography style so I won't have to carry heavy loads in my bag and this lens prefectly fit.I am sill amazed after 4 months on how fast this lens can focus even in a low light condition.The sharpness is side by side to primes that I have tried.And for the reach,I just need to take a couple of steps and I get my shot. Perhaps, Canon 70-200 2.8 would be a great additional to cover more grounds.
I really enjoy this lens, it's a pro's PRO.

Jan 4, 2007