534 904047 Mar 26, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

StephanSchwind

Registered: Feb 12, 2008
Review Date: Feb 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1.06 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2,8 and USM, a L lense, indoor with available light. does fit on my 35mm Cam and on the digitals.
Cons:
First I thought price and weight but as it turns out NONE.

I wanted a lens with f/2,8 on total focal length to fit my wifes 40D because of the cross field AF sensor in the middle and second because she does not like flash photography.

Finally I was down to the EF-S 17-55mm IS USM and the EF 24-70mm L USM.

I rented the lens before buying it because a plus 1.000,00$ lens is not what you buy every day.

First I thought the missing IS would be the downsite of the L but IS does not stop motion and my son is a fast one. So skip IS and compare the rest. We have the EF-S 10-22mm so there is not really a need for 17-24mm on your evereyday lense. I did a check of the pictures taken in the past and most of them where between 30 and 75mm (about 85%)

After holding both lenses and mounting them on the camera the decision was clear and we settled for the L lense.

So if your looking for your every day lense and your pocket can afford it - look no further.

Feb 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add StephanSchwind to your Buddy List
apeq

Registered: Dec 11, 2007
Review Date: Feb 9, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Solid built.
Cons:

This was the Lens that started me on the L envy when I started out with dSLR. Because of the built quality and the ratings it got everywhere I started saving for it and took me a year. In between I had had nifty 50,the 85 f1.8 and the fantastic 70-200 f4IS. All these lens gave me the WOW factor. My everyday lens was the 28-135 mm but I thought I could consolidate and use just the brick and my 70-200. I got rid of the prime and zoom to get my brick even though there are plenty of good copy/bad copy post going round. I'd figured for an L the chances of me getting a good copy rather than a bad copy will still be very much higher to worry about. But to my dismay the brick didn't quite live up to my expectations. Why? First of all,I got it brand new from a major store online and just after 5 days the AF went dead! Since I am from overseas the store did not offer free return shipping. I have no other option but to sent it to my local Canon which took 4 weeks to replace the AF unit. So it;s like getting a factory refurb for a full price and a whole lot of waiting. Second, after the IQ I got from my 70-200 F4IS I am not impressed with ones from the brick especially wide end at 2.8. It needs plenty of light to nail it. It can only match the longer zoom at F4 and above and without IS not many keepers there. To me it's practically a F4 lens that can do acceptable 2.8.A bit of USM helps. So most of the time I need bounced flash in order to keep ISO down. Normal output it seems it's underexposed and I have to apply +1 exposure. When I do, I am thinking I should have gotten the 24-105 F4IS instead. Well I am learning to cope with this lens and to know it's sweet spot and what kind of exposures it can handle. Hopefully it can regain some of the shine it has loss in my views.

Feb 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add apeq to your Buddy List
TonyMelt

Registered: Jul 12, 2004
Review Date: Feb 6, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,215.00

Pros: None yet, have not received a good copy.
Cons:
Poor quality control

After many long hours of deliberation I finally took the advice of many of you here in this forum and ordered this lens. I purchased it from Dell, whom I have always had good service from in the past. I paid for next day shipping. Unfortunately they chose DHL to deliver it. After misrouting the package and 6 days later then lens arrived. Anxious to get the last few minutes of sunlight I quickly mounted it to my 40D and took a few shots off the back patio. When I loaded them on the PC I was amazed, but not for a good reason. Every photo seemed a little out of focus. I then took some indoor flash shots and got the same result. I then took several comparison photos using an old 18-55mm (non IS) lens that came with my old Rebel. It was hard to believe but in every case the shot taken with the cheap 18-55 lens was noticeably sharper. I called Dell and of course got an RMA. Of course they will send a replacement lens and the paperwork to return the defective one, but it takes up to 8 days to process the paperwork and then they said they ship it overnight. I just hope its not DHL again. I caution anyone buying this or any other Canon to make sure to get it from a reliable with a good reputation for returns. It looks like Canon also needs to start doing a better job with quality control.

Feb 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TonyMelt to your Buddy List
Robb Davidson

Registered: Dec 16, 2007
Review Date: Feb 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,052.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible color, contrast, flexibility, durability, and overall awesome quality!!!
Cons:
I know everyone says weight, which is kinda true, but what do you expect with all those awesome elements in the build?

My first L lens that I owned, but not used. I'm super impressed with how well this lens handles all sorts of different situations. When it comes to shooting snowboards, this lens is nice and fast focusing with the aid of the USM, and 2.8 helps stop motion. If you're debating on 2.8 or f4 with IS, figure if you shoot action go for the 2.8, otherwise chew it on the IS.

I have also the cheap 50mm 1.8 (cheap as in price), and i used it to shoot crowds at my college's basketball games. It was super dark in there, so it sucked shooting 400ISO, 1/60 shutter speed, at 1.8. Then I bring this bad boy in, 400ISO, 2.8, 1/60 shutter speed, and theres LESS image noise from the 24-70L.

Its tough to hold it after about 3 or 4 hours if you don't give yourself a little 5 minute stretching break. Then its real tough to shoot in low light and hold the camera steady for a sharp and crisp shot.

I swear to whoever's reading this....you will never regret buying this lens...especially if youre a tool that can get this lens cheaper than me cuase I would've gladly paid 1300 for this guy knowing NOW what it can do, and I've only had it for nearly 2 weeks! I'm shooting a wedding next weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

Feb 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Robb Davidson to your Buddy List
G Wolsey

Registered: Oct 14, 2007
Review Date: Feb 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $964.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8 | Build Quality | Excellent Hood Design | Macro capabilities
Cons:
Tight Zoom Ring | Close focus distance is poor at 24mm

As my first L lens, I don't really have anything exceptional to compare this lens to, however compared to 'consumer' glass, it's in a league of it's own. Sharp at f/2.8, all the way through the focal lengths.

Feb 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add G Wolsey to your Buddy List
ruben1992

Registered: Feb 1, 2008
Review Date: Feb 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, very sharp, build quality,

Feb 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ruben1992 to your Buddy List
Hoan

Registered: Nov 3, 2007
Review Date: Jan 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, solid build, fast focus, f/2.8
Cons:

I bought mine 1 year ago to replace my EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM. So this was my first L lens. What a huge difference!

I was between the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8, the Canon EF 24-105 f/4, and the Canon EF 17-40 f/4 at that time; but finally went for the 24-70 since I needed a general-purpose lens and preferred to have f/2.8. With this one lens I could shoot both landscape and portrait without changing lenses.

My copy is very sharp, even at wide open. The color, the detail, the contrast and the saturation of the pictures from this lens are excellent. The 24-70 lens focuses very fast, quite, and accurately even in dim light. For portrait, this lens is very capable of making the subject stand out due to its pleasing bokeh. Highly recommended.

Jan 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hoan to your Buddy List
N.B. Tran

Registered: Jan 15, 2008
Review Date: Jan 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp with good light conditions, AF is good too with good lightcondition, heavy, nice strong build. beautiful DOF with the blur thing.
Cons:
Bad AF in very low light condition, it always overfocus the front object and make the background sharp. I use a 5d and can i put on a laser beam or something so it knows i want the subject in front sharp??? But i can imagine ofcourse that its hard for most of the Camera's to do a good AF in almost no light condition. any suggestions?

But beside that i love it :P i can recommand it.

Gr. Binh

Jan 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add N.B. Tran to your Buddy List
XAOC

Registered: May 29, 2007
Review Date: Jan 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: great construction, fast, sharp,
Cons:

I purchased this lens to replace my Tamron 24-135 mm. Wow what a difference. It's very fast and sharp and the pictures are incredible. Build like a tank.

Jan 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add XAOC to your Buddy List
N.B. Tran

Registered: Jan 15, 2008
Review Date: Jan 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: N.A.
Cons:
N.A.

Hi i am kinda new to the D-SLR world. I have been recently using my old Canon AV-1 SLR. And i must say that i get pretty nice photos out of that old thing. I got there for 4 lenses. At the moment i am in Hong Kong on vacation and have been using it.

But after 4 weeks i have deciced to buy a D-SLR & Lens + Battery grip and an 8Gig extreme 4 memory card.

I have been reading about the Body of the Sigma14, Canon 40D/5D, Nikon D300. Based on the reviews i have read i went to the shop and tried it out how it felt in my hands. The Sigma14 felt ok in my hands and did a couple of test shots... and checked it out in the LCD and it didnt look that good since i read good things about it. maybe they didnt put the L lens on it. i didnt pay attention to that.

After i tried the 40D and it was very light in my hands since i use the Film SLR that one was pretty heavy and i like heavy. And i did a couple of test shots and it didnt look that bad.

Since i held the 5D in my hands with a nice kit lens 24-105 L f/4 ISM, i was like, WOW.... nice heavy haha... people must think i am crazy. I made a couple of test shots and oh man it looked so nice.

To my conclusion is i want the Canon 5D for the FF. and after reading this forum discussion i want to buy this lens as well. The 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM.

The price in Hong Kong is nice i checked online for shops in the netherlands and US based prices.
Hong Kong Price:
Body Eos5D= 15000 HKD =us$1.923,30 =1.301,33 euro's
Lens 24-70L f2.8= 8800 HKD =us$1.128,33 =763,45 euro's
Battery Grip E4 for Eos5D= 1580 HKD =us$202,59 =137,07 euro's
Memory 8Gig Extreme4= 1300 HKD =us$166,69 =112,78 euro's

That is what i am going to buy. Any advice? i am an Amateur photographer :D As work i work at the newspaper and do photo enhancing. i like to learn more about the photograph business and how to handle the D-SLR well. Since i know now how to use my Film SLR. I think its almost the same.

Thx, and hope to see your answers soon.

Binh.

Jan 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add N.B. Tran to your Buddy List
eosing

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp & very fast.
Cons:
A bit expensive, IS added will be better

2.8 beats IS, when shooting in low light condition.
yes, IS will freeze your camera to prevent it from shaking. but it doesnt stop objects from moving..
anything slower than 1/15 will cause blurry image because people do move, so, 2.8 is still king if compare with 24-105

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eosing to your Buddy List
pumbaa

Registered: Mar 18, 2007
Review Date: Jan 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,159.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Useful range, superb construction. Magic color rendition
Cons:
Weight.

I think everybody has listed all the good thing about this lens so i dont waste our time to repeat all of that. So here is my statment after 9 months using this lens.

This lens is, not like the 70-200 f2.8, really sharp even at wide open and the color rendition is just superb, up to L level. I see much little len's flare at any aperture. The BIG strength of the lens is its superior contrast, brightly and distinctly exposed subjects that you can't find on any slower lens.

Buy it as soon as you can affort its price or you will be regreted. It is an amazing lens and i understand why people name it a Lengend lens of Canon. For me, this is the best walk around lens and also really good for portrait or studio works.

Some samples:

www.pumbaa32.com

Jan 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pumbaa to your Buddy List
Dan No

Registered: Jan 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, extremely versatile, good focusing
Cons:
None really, not even for the non-discount price I paid

Haven't missed a good image opportunity with this lens, in any setting, whether it be nighttime action or landscape shooting. The protusion of the lens when shooting wide angle is a bit annoying, though.

Jan 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan No to your Buddy List
hatch1921

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $984.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid contruction, tack sharp, smooth focus, wonderful color/contrast, very balanced on the 5D with battery grip. Wonderful lens!
Cons:

Purchased from B&H with a coupon code for $984. Great deal!

I thought the lens might have had a front focus problem. After testing with a focus chart... not the case.

The lens is solid! I'm a big guy and the lens fits well in my hands... not very heavy and a pleasure to shoot with.

Changing the focal length from 24-70 is very smooth.

My raw files need very little sharpening...if any. The lens is tack sharp! Is it as sharp and the 85L II I've rented...very close!

CA is very well controlled...little no issues at all.

Have a look at the test shots... these were taken the day the lens arrived. Look at the lens shots on the table. No adjustments other than a crop. Have a look at the details of the text. You can see a little CA going on but very minor. No additional sharpening other than the default setting in ACR 4.0 Default is set to 25. Shot from f/2.8-f/8.0

I'm very pleased with the lens! So glad I made the purchase.
If you have any questions about the lens... drop me a line on my Flickr account.

Hatch

Jan 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hatch1921 to your Buddy List
Dan Doucette

Registered: Nov 2, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great color/contrast/sharpness, rugged build quality, weather-sealed, useful focal range, useable at f/2.8, good lens shade design.
Cons:
Some distortion at the wide end of the zoom, would be nice to have IS.

This is an outstanding lens, a true work-horse. The 24-70 is my most used lens. When combined with the 16-35 and 70-200 (f/2.8 IS), these lenses form the core trinity of my lens collection and are used for 80% of my work.

I have used this lens under extremely demanding conditions and have never had a problem. It has been subjected to continuous salt spray for days at sea, snow storms, downpours, freezing conditions, and some hard knocks. The solid, weather sealed construction can take the punishment and just keep on going as if nothing ever happened. The lens shade is well designed and protects the front element very nicely, especially at the telephoto end of the zoom range. I don't enjoy carrying the weight of this lens all the time but will glady shoulder it if that is what it takes to get such a rugged piece of glass.

I can depend on this lens not only when dependability is critical but also when image quality really matters. The color/contrast/sharpness are very good and the pictures have a natural, but slightly warm, overtone to them.

In spite of the many strengths, there are a few minor draw backs with this lens. These include some moderate distortion at the wide and of the zoom and slight softness at f/2.8, although the images are still very useable. The bokeh at 70mm is not quite as smooth as my 70-200 at 70mm, but then again, they are completely different lens designs. Without a side-by-side comparison I would never think the 24-70 bokeh was lacking.

Sometimes I wish that this lens came with the same focal range, same f/2.8 aperture, but also included IS. But I guess this would make for a very heavy lens and would drive the reasonable price up.

Overall this lens has a wide variety of strengths that overshadow its few minor weaknesses. It is an essential lens for my work and has never failed to perform when it really mattered. I would recommend this lens if you need the best standard f/2.8 zoom available for your Canon body. I use mine with 5D's and have been very satisfied.

-Dan Doucette
www.infotography.com

Dec 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan Doucette to your Buddy List
Mark Kujath

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Dec 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical quality, AF-speed, Performance, Quality
Cons:
price, moving tube

This is a great lens - I was coming from the Nikon side, and was used to have good optical stuff with the 17-55 2.8. This lens is at least equal to it and even "cheaper" (which is a funny word, talking about lenses above 1.000)

Dec 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark Kujath to your Buddy List

534 904047 Mar 26, 2014