528 909097 Dec 16, 2014
ef_24-70_28u_1_

This new lens does what many pros thought couldn't be done - replace the previous L-series 28-70 f/2.8 lens with something even better. Extended coverage to an ultra-wide angle 24mm makes it ideal for digital as well as film shooters, and the optics are even better than before with two Aspherical elements and a totally new UD glass element. It's now sealed and gasketed against dust and moisture, and a new processing unit makes the AF faster than ever.

vgopalk

Registered: Mar 2, 2006
Review Date: Apr 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent Build. FAST Lens.
Cons:
Heavy (read long comment in Post)

Just returned from a 4-month trip to South America. I carried a 5D body, the 24-70/2.8 and an old 75-300/4-5.6 lens. The 75-300 was used when I needed the long range to shoot wildlife. 95% of the time the 24-70 was on the 5D. Much as I would have loved to get the 24-105/4.0, I wanted the speed this lens provided and it did not disappoint.

I would love to see canon come out with a 24-105/2.8. Assume it is of a good quality and costs less than $2000, that would be the SINGLE lens I would own.

After 4-months of having the lens in your backpack or on your neck, you develop a stoop! I dread to think what state I will be reduced to once I get the 70-200/2.8 lens Smile

Apr 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vgopalk to your Buddy List
fauxtoman

Registered: Apr 5, 2008
Review Date: Apr 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros:
Cons:
I realize this is the review page, however, I am very disturbed whenever I read any review of an L lens where someone bought a bad copy or in the case of one recent reviewer, two bads before finally getting a good one. I wrote to Canon about this since any L lens is relatively expensive and considered professional and that I expect it to come out of the box, perfect and ready to shoot. Here is the response I received from Canon. Please note, various things can happen to a lens from the time it is manufactured, and the time it reaches a dealer or customer that may require the lens to have some minor adjustments made to obtain full performance. In our newer camera models, there is a new feature called AF Microadjustment. This allows you to make fine adjustments of the AF's point of focus. It can be adjusted in ±20 steps (-: Forward / +: Backward). You may set the same adjustment amount to be applied to all of your lenses, or an adjustment can be set individually for any particular lens. Adjustments for up to 20 lenses can be registered in the camera. Unfortunately, this new feature is only available in our newer camera models (currently the EOS 1D Mark III and EOS 1Ds Mark III). SAY WHAT? "various things can happen to a lens from the time it is manufactured, and the time it reaches a dealer or customer" What the hell is going on here? Do they employ monkeys to package and ship their products to store? Even if they did, I would expect any lens of this caliber to hold up to some abuse. Canon needs to clean up their act and do something about their apparent lack of quality control. I have a 70-200 2.8 L IS that I assume is a "good" copy since I haven't seen anything to the contrary but I'm having second thoughts about getting a Canon 24-70 or any other L lens

See above

Apr 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fauxtoman to your Buddy List
garz63

Registered: Sep 15, 2005
Review Date: Apr 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wow, what a great lens! The price you pay for a Quality lens!
Cons:

with 'alot' of research & discussion on the internet, I've been saving for over a year to take the plunge and invest in a L lens. been shooting with my 17-85 f/4.0 IS lens for almost 3 years. My buddy let me borrow the rep's demo lens and within 2-hours I made my decision. Awsome lens! like i said above 'the price you pay for a Quality lens' My new 24-70 F/2.8L lens will be in next week. better order yours soon, there's a rumor of a Canon price increase.

Apr 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add garz63 to your Buddy List
gryphonslair99

Registered: Aug 20, 2006
Review Date: Mar 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,080.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Overall a very sharp lens with amazing image quality. Built like a tank. A real workhorse of a lens
Cons:

This lens has become a real workhorse for me. I find that it is acceptably soft at f2.8, but a bit more than I expected out of this pricey of L glass. The image quality that this lens produces is one of it's best selling points. Bright, vibrant images that when slightly stopped down are a sharp as any I have ever seen from a zoom lens. This lens lives on one of my camera bodies and my 70-200 f2.8 lives on the other. This is one lens I would hate to have to do with out.

Mar 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gryphonslair99 to your Buddy List
R10

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Mar 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ - IF YOU MANAGE TO FIND A GOOD SAMPLE..., built quality
Cons:
sample variation (hardly acceptable in this price league); weight is not a con that Canon could change but just physics - don't go for fast rigid zoom lenses if you don't want heavy lenses

I went through three samples before I had a good one. The first two were severely decentered (ie, uneven sharpness at/in different edges/corners; one was more or less blurry throughout the frame at 24mm)! This is inacceptable, (not only) in this price league. If you manage to get a good one, however, the results are veeery pleasing. There is probably no better EF-mount-AF-zoom-lens of this focal range and speed.

Resolution declines noticeably towards the edge/corner, especially when wide open, but this seems to be the case with virtually all (faster) non-Leica zooms. So nothing special to complain. Stopped down to f8, IQ is impressive.

It's heavy. Of course. It's fast and built like a tank. Thus, weight is not a con that Canon could change. It's just physics – just don't go for fast rigid zoom lenses if you don't want heavy lenses.

I finally sold it, not only because severe sample variation is more than annoying at +1000,- Euro. I got for less(!) than the EF24-70's sales revenue a Leica-R 4/35-70, AND an OM 3.5/21, AND (in case I need AF) a Sigma EX 2.8/24-60. Btw, if weight is an issue, the first two are together lighter than the Canon. The first outperforms the Canon by far at any focal length and aperture, as well as the some 20-years old OM does compared to the Canon is at its short end, esp at/in the edge/corner, and the Sigma is not far behind the Canon at a fraction of the price.

Anybody who wants a fast rigid EF-mount-AF-standard-zoom, and who gets a good sample, will probably be very happy with this lens!

My rating is for the good sample.

Mar 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add R10 to your Buddy List
Crazy Fool

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

to terminator:
If its VERY sharp at close range, the lens quality is fine, but your camera or lens' focusing is off.

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Crazy Fool to your Buddy List
Santai

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Mar 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic image quality, sharpness and contrast - once you got a good lens copy.
Cons:

I was looking for a shorter zoom with IQ comparable to my 70-200 L f/4, which set the benchmark for image quality, sharpness and contrast for me. The 24-70 became my choice, taking the f/2.8 into consideration over the 24-105.

Being suspicious about the individual lens quality based on so many user reports in this and other forums, I did the “newspaper on the wall sharpness test” in the shop. Out of seven copies, five were useless, no center sharpness at all, the edges naturally being worse. So I picked one of the two remaining copies.

When looking at the real life pictures taken with the one I bought, I was less than impressed with the results. Missing the IQ and contrast I was looking for, I went straight to the Canon service center in Jakarta. They let me pick and try a new one and swapped it without any problem.

This one is fantastic, sharp and crisp pictures, nice contrast, true “L” quality. I love it!

My recommendation to fellow photographers is to buy the lens in a shop you trust and where you can be sure that they would replace your lens in case you got a bad copy (and such judgement can only be made by yourself). My recommendation to Canon: Do something about this issue, this is a “L” lens and an unnecessary quality assurance problem.

Mar 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Santai to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Mar 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharpness in close range, build quality, f/2.8, USM, color
Cons:
Heavy, heavy, heavy! Softness in long range. bokeh, loose zoom ring, 70mm is a bit short even on APS-C DSLR, no IS

I already own a 24-105L, but f/2.8 is sooooooo attractive that I finally decided to buy it when I found a pretty good deal to get it second hand.

First impression, it is as heavy as a brick - compared to 24-105L. As the seller said, I can feel a lot of glasses in it. I noticed that the zoom ring is pretty loose - perhaps because it is 3 years old? When I hold the lens, I always have a bad feeling that my hand may accidentally move the ring. When the subject is just a little bit far away, I could not get a single sharp image even stop down to f/4 as I expected from my 70-200/4 IS. This is quite disappointing and makes me wonder whether I get a bad copy. And I feel 70mm is a bit short even on my 20D. No IS like 24-105. Bokeh not as good as primes.

Now the good things. Build quality is superb. f/2.8 allows me to take photos indoor without flash. Focus is silent and fast. Color is great. As I get used to this lens, I found that I can produce very very sharp images when I get close enough to the subject - even at f/2.8.

Now I am struggling to keep it, or keep both 24-70L and 24-105L since I really love my 24-105L. Or hope Canon has 24-105/2.8L IS some time. :-)

Mar 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List
conlun

Registered: Mar 14, 2008
Review Date: Mar 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, good range (on FF), excellent IQ
Cons:
A bit heavy

Mar 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add conlun to your Buddy List
Crazy Fool

Registered: Aug 5, 2005
Review Date: Mar 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, well built, great colours and contrast, fast silent focusing
Cons:
Fairly heavy and large, but what do you expect?!

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

This lens is as sharp as you need. No, it's not quite as sharp as my unusually good Tamron 28-75 or some top-grade primes, but it has much nicer background blur, a wider end, better distortion control, and most importantly of all, faster quieter focus.

I think the reasons why people have trouble with this lens is sometimes because their non-1 series camera's focus is not perfect. For example, when you focus on someone's eyes at f2.8, check that the nose or ears aren't sharper than the eyes. I had this problem with my 10D a couple of years ago.

I sent my Canon 10D to Canon two or three times and it wasn't fixed, just calibrated. Lehmanns in Stoke (UK) managed to fix it using some kind of software calibration eventually.

My point is, perhaps many people complaining of sharpness on wide aperture lenses haven't checked their camera's focus perfectly. Maybe that goes for some professional reviews as well?! Who knows.

Anyway, now the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 is out, this lens has some real competition. I would imagine that as the Nikon is newer, it has the edge in sharpness, and this is corroborated by some comparisons. But an extra jot of sharpness does not a better picture make.

The Canon has an ingenious lens hood design, good handling, and supreme focusing abilities. It also has good distortion control. And as for Image Stabilisation, I couldn't care less. Don't want it any heavier that's for sure, and the new full frame cameras are noise free at ISO 3200 for goodness sake!

This one is a keeper for me. In fact I've sold all my other lenses, and I'll be getting a compact (the raw-shooting Canon G9) for when a large lens is unsuitable.

Mar 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Crazy Fool to your Buddy List
shadeth

Registered: Mar 11, 2008
Review Date: Mar 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very solid build quality, great colors, good sharpness, useful lens in a wide variety of situations.
Cons:
A bit heavy, and the lens hood is huge. I don't usually use the lens hood because it's so big, but it works fine without it in most situations I never see lens flare.

For overall walk around use, this lens is perfect on my Canon 20D. Not sure how this is on a full frame camera but on my camera the results are outstanding. This is the lens that I use most often, pretty much for everything unless I need extreme macro, more telephoto range, or a wider angle. I've owned this lens for over two years now and never once regretted buying it, and never considered selling it (although it does hold it's value well which is also nice). If you can afford it, get it you will be pleased!

Here are some images I shot with this lens... These are just some casual images I shot with no flash, no tripod, and available light at medieval style events.

Mar 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add shadeth to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Mar 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and Fast AF. I like to use this lens for environmental portraits (good flexibility). Clever hood design too.
Cons:
Gets heavy after awhile

Another quality "Red Stripe" from Canon. Very useful for environmental portraits where fast AF is necessary.

Only drawback is its weight.

Here are some sample shots taken with a Canon 30D:

Sample Photos

-Roy

Mar 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List
cmorris

Registered: May 15, 2004
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile. Enables the photographer to work with one body and one lens. Image quality is superb. Almost all my work is at 2.8, Which provides a very smooth, creamy tonal range. But still retains great sharpness
Cons:
Size. Build quality. Lens is quite fragile. Read below.

This is the lens that I do 95% of my photography with. What people have to understand here is that there is some sacrifice when you have a lens that provides you such versatility. I have used this lens since 2003, basically traveling the world with it. What I have discovered, the key to keeping this lens in top notch working order. The day I open one out of the box, I totally tape up the top half of the lens with a strong gaffers tape. This is done to structurally keep the lens taught. This helps eliminate any torquing that takes place with day to day walking around with this on your shoulder. By doing this ad hoc tape job you will have to give up your manual focus option. I know this sounds bizarre, but its true. Also I never and I mean never, do I walk around with the lens extended to 24mm focal length, for this really adds stress to the lens. If you want you lens to maintain critical sharpness for years to come and if you use the lens daily, almost year round like I do. This will keep it sharp. I know many of my colleagues who after 1 or 2 months of heavy use complain that it is no longer sharp. I can actually keep mine going for up to 3 years with out having to have the lens serviced.

To view my work with this lens go to VIIphoto.com and look at my work. Like I said earlier 95% of it is done on this lens. Also my book "My America" was almost shot entirely with the 24-70, 2.8.

We do not live in a perfect world. But for me this lens comes quite close to being perfect. Minus the tape job.

Yours Truly,

Christopher Morris

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cmorris to your Buddy List
ScottTomlinson

Registered: Mar 3, 2008
Review Date: Mar 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Build Quality is a 10, Hood Hides Protruding Element and has a reverse zoom mechanism so at wide angle it's fully extended and on full zoom its fully recessed, taking full advantage of the hood. Versatility.
Cons:
None. This is as good or better than my 70-200L 2.8 IS.

Sharp as anything when used correctly. I too agonized over whether or not I would get a "good copy". I ordered one from B&H 2-2008 and have not regretted it at all. I would not have been satisfied with the 24-105 at f4.

Some complain of the size and weight, but I like the heft - it helps keep the camera steady.

Mar 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ScottTomlinson to your Buddy List
bluefox9er

Registered: May 10, 2007
Review Date: Feb 26, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, build, great hood,
Cons:
Cost..all lenses are way to overpriced if you ask me!

Ok, I have watched the ratings on this lens dip recently on this forum. I remember when it was a 9.5, but as a pre-emptive purchase of a canon eos 5d MKII( if it is ever released), I was torn between the 24-70 F2.8 and the 24-105 mm F4 IS.

I already have the 70-200 mm F4 and felt that the 24-70 might be a better fit for me.

I brought this lens for £600 from an ebayer, it is literally brand new and it had a filter..bargain.

Took some test shots with it this morning, and whilst it can be a teeny bit soft at 2.8, I found the images absloutley stunning at around 5.6.

I'm sure it gives awsome images at 2.8, but I have never used a lens like this before,so maybe i'll learn as I go.

Took some indoor shots in my kitchen, they were fantastic and even with ISO 400 the noise was hardly noticable.

Yes this lens is heavy, and no it hasn't got IS, but what it does provide to me are images that are absloutley fantastic, well in line with my 70-200 mm F4 (non IS).

IS is a great feature, but at the focal lengths of this lens, perhaps it isnt that important,esp with f2.8 available at all focal lengths.

I know from the pianstaking research I did prior to buying this lens that a lot of people cant decide between this and the 24-105 mm F4 IS..I was one of them, but I am so pleased that I have chosen the 24-70 2.8 L. I am using it on a canon 400d, but I am also making my purchases knowing one day i will switch to a Full sensor canon, so the 17-55 mm IS wasn't in my list, even if it does have wonderful reviews.

I was also mindful that on FM reviews a lot of people had managed to get 'bad' copies of this lens, so I am relieved that mine seems ok, esp as it was an ebay purchase, which would have been an absloute nightmare to resolve if i wasn't happy with it.If you are thinking of buying this from ebay, it might be an idea to make sure the seller feedback is not less than 99% on at least 1000 transactions and they are willing to accept returns, but you are going to have to pay for return shipping both ways :-(

If you are really torn , please try this lens out..in the Uk we dont have a culture of try before you buy and renting a lens is more expensive sometimes than actually buying it ( not to mention that when we do buy it we usually pay anywhere from 30 to 50% more than people in other countries), so do protect your purchase if you need to return a 'bad' coppy.

otherwise, put it on your camera and go out and have the most fun you can with this lens...it really is a terriffic piece of kit.!!!

Feb 26, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bluefox9er to your Buddy List
TonyMelt

Registered: Jul 12, 2004
Review Date: Feb 23, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Fast
Cons:
Poor build/quality control by Canon

I have had a very disappointing experience with this lens. I have been a Canon user since the 1970s beginning with the FTBn and I have several L series lens, all of which work flawless. I ordered it from Dell and as soon as received it I took several test shots with my 40D at various focal lengths using autofocus. I was surprised to find none of them were sharp. I then put the lens on both an XTI and an old Digital Rebel and got the same results. I called Dell and they sent a replacement, taking two weeks as they had none in stock. I was shocked to find the same problem with the replacement lens. I then decided to put the lens on a tripod and take some shots of the fine print on a small bottle at a distance of about five feet. I first to a shot with autfocus on and the switched it off and move the focus ring slightly to the right taking 3 shots and the reset autofocus and then took three shots while turning the focus ring in small increments to the left. When I looked at the shots on the PC I found the autofocus shot very blurry, but the shot I took in manual focus turned just slightly to the left from the autofocus point it was considerably sharper. I have sent the replacement lens to the Canon repair facility in New Jersey and hope they are able to fix it. What I can understand is how two lens, with non-sequential serial numbers, have a common defect. I can only assume that Canon is having a problem with quality control. I hope Canon recognizes they have a problem and takes corrective action. As I said, I am a long time Canon user but this kind of problem makes Nikon look better and better.

Feb 23, 2008