Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

208 481387 Jul 6, 2014
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

John Abbey

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens is very sharp and produces nice colors. It is also a good focal length on a 20D for macro work. Decent build.
Cons:
The build could be better. Focusing is slow (but should be expected as it is a macro lens).

This lens is a very good value and it produces great results. I find this lens to be very sharp even wide open at 2.8. The lens is built well, but could be better. I guess I am just used to L lenses. For the price it is built very well and is one of my favorite lenses to use.

If you want to see some examples I have shot with this lens visit my site:

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Abbey to your Buddy List
Jan Waumans

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Dec 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, good distance to object, size does not change when focusing
Cons:
Weight and size, possible addiction to good lenses

I bought this lens second hand (with hood & UV filter) for my new 400D since I wanted a real macro lens all my life
The lens behaves exactly as described in the reviews: it is very sharp and the autofocus is effective for macro subjects when helped in the range by hand
I would not buy it for portraits or landscape because of the slow autofocus, but if I have to choose between this lens and my old 75-300 1:4-5.6 II (120g less weight, same length) I will take the macro on a hike
Chances are 2x crops from this lens stay competitive with the zoom, not to mention distortion, CA, contrast and resistance to flare
I am pleased with my purchase

Dec 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jan Waumans to your Buddy List
jirok12944

Registered: Nov 22, 2006
Review Date: Nov 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: solid build, exceptional results (sharpness, colors, contrast), price
Cons:

I've used it for half a year on full-frame sensor. Excellent everything!!!

The only issue I have is 100mm is not very usable focal length for what I do (people, portrait, advertising)... but it is exceptional lens which exceeds expectation and easily can have red ring on it. Macro 1:1 is nice addition.

Nov 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jirok12944 to your Buddy List
Ardepp

Registered: Oct 30, 2006
Review Date: Oct 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Incredible sharp wide open. Also excellent portrait and short telephoto lens. Inner focusing.
Cons:
Focusing ring is little loose.

When I compare this gem to my other lenses (EF 24mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.8 and EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM) this one is the sharpest. If you want really good macro/portrait/telephoto lens for FF camera then get this! It covers pretty large scale of things what you can do with it.

Oct 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ardepp to your Buddy List
Ryan Allen

Registered: Oct 22, 2006
Review Date: Oct 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: super sharp, great contrast, solid build, range delimiter
Cons:
focus ring prone to get junk inside, hunts in low light, not as fast focus as I'd hoped

Oct 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ryan Allen to your Buddy List
mbohunsky

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Oct 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely stunningly sharp, amazing contrast, very quick to focus with limiter set, well dampened focus ring
Cons:

I could not ask for more from a macro lens. This lens is sharper wide open than most other primes stopped down. I honestly do not see any improvement in stopping this lens down other than achieving more depth-of-field. Having owned a number of L lenses in the past, this lens is in the same class minus the price and maybe the build quality. That is not to say that the build quality is not good.

I do not see the need for an image stabilizer on a macro lens. A good flash will give you the ability to shoot at any aperture and a hand-holdable shutter speed.

This lens is a keeper. I can't imagine why I would ever let this go other than if Canon came out with a longer version with the same optics and price. This lens could easily cost twice as much and the price would still be worth it.

Oct 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbohunsky to your Buddy List
AbbieCat

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Oct 10, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Love this lense, very sharp.
Cons:
No complaints here.

I do have a question. Will the purchase of the Canon extension tufe EF25 II add any benefit to this lense? Will it increase the magnification or decrease the focusing distance? I am new to digital photography. Thanks

Oct 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AbbieCat to your Buddy List
AbbieCat

Registered: Oct 10, 2006
Review Date: Oct 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is not a review, new to this site and digital photography. I have the Canon 100mm macro lense and love. I am wondering would there be a benefit to purchasing the canon EF II extension tube. If there is a benefit, what would they be? Would it increase the magnification? Would it decrease the focusing distance? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Cons:
None that I can see

Oct 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AbbieCat to your Buddy List
garay002

Registered: Aug 5, 2006
Review Date: Oct 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Excellent build quality, 2.8
Cons:
sometimes hunts in low light.

Excellent lens. This is my first Macro lens, its the sharpest lens in my bag.

Also works as a very good portrait lens in my opinion.

Oct 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add garay002 to your Buddy List
DoubleD

Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp at 2.8, well built, razor thin depth of field, can be used as as short telephoto in lowish light.
Cons:
No tripod collar included, no IS, AF hunts in low light, best used on tripod for macro.

Here is a great lens, it is sharp at 2.8 and gets sharper stopped down which is normally done when using the lens for macro work. Talking of which, it is best used on a tripod (shame no tripod collar included). See a photo of mine taken at 1:1 :

As a short telephoto it is great at 2.8 when the depth of field is not so critical.

I would have given it a 10 if it had Image Stabilisation (like Nikon 105mm VR)

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DoubleD to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Sep 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $520.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice colors and very sharp when used w/Rebel XTi - I am amazed at the details revealed in handheld, available light, close-up shots of plants.
Cons:
Makes my zoom lens photos look not so sharp...

Sep 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
walter23

Registered: Jan 30, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like an L lens (same materials and quality), sharp as hell, internal focus, 1:1 magnification, focus limiter switch for fast telephoto use. Amazing background blur for portraits. Please note that I don't own any other fast telephoto lenses to compare to, but it's L quality "bokeh" for sure).
Cons:
AF hunts a bit especially in lower light or with low contrast subjects (both macro and non-macro, though this is a non-issue for macro since I manually focus). I think this is just because the focus mechanism travels much further than on a regular lens, so that hunting is more noticable. No hood included! Cheapo canon! Bah! It's a piece of plastic, you could give it away and still make money.

I ordered this to canada from B&H as the canadian price is $699 and all told it came out to around $530 cross borders including tax and currency conversion.

This is a fantastic macro lens and I don't regret buying it. The lens is very high quality and stands on its own as a great fast telephoto without the macro capability, but macro is what it's built for and macro is where it shines. High overall lens quality aside, macrophotography opened up a whole universe I scarcely believed possible before. Now even the most boring yard or manicured park contains millions of photographic opportunities.

The working distance with this lens is quite nice - insects move fast and can be skittish, so it's nice not to have to get too close (challenging enough anyway). AF is a mixed bag with this lens - though I'd say it's very good for a macro lens. It hunts a bit, and it's not quite as fast as something like a 70-200 f/4L, but it's still fairly fast and good. For macro use, manual focus isn't too hard with the tiny DOF at f/2.8. It's abundantly clear where your focus sits Smile

It should have come with a hood (and hey, a case too). It is L quality in all respects except for not including a hood in the package. Hoods are just cheap plastic and felt. I know business empires aren't built on kindness, but c'mon Canon. A hood should be standard. I would have given it a 10 overall and for price except for this.

Sep 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add walter23 to your Buddy List
cathpah

Registered: Jan 28, 2006
Review Date: Sep 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: size, build, sharpness, and price
Cons:
none.

one heck of a deal at its price. sharp as sharp can be and it can be a great portrait lens as well. haven't really heard much about non-sharp copies either.

great lens that makes you think/look at the shot a whole lot differently

Sep 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cathpah to your Buddy List
my58vw

Registered: Jun 3, 2006
Review Date: Jul 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight, Size, Sharpness wide open, Build is L quality, 1:1 macro
Cons:
Hood is a little long, DOF at f/2.8 even for normal subjects is very thin

I bought this lens as both a macro and a portrait lens for my 1Ds while I wait for the 85 f/1.2L. The camera states that it can be used for both applications and in most cases it is right. For normal subjects the DOF for f/2.8 is quite thin compared to the 24-70, 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.4 at f/2.8 which can make focusing a challenge. Wide open is quite sharp, but usually needs a little USM in photoshop, very sharp from f/4.0 on.

Even on a FF camera 100mm is a bit long, and not the best for walk around, but excels at head and shoulder shots, and flower/insect macro work. In short this lens is nearly L quality, but not quite at the larger apertures, but for half the cost of the L macro it is very good. I can see why so many people say this is a great lens... and will be in my kit for a long time (until I get the 180mm f/3.5L Macro that is).

Jul 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add my58vw to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Location: Ethiopia
Review Date: Jul 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Fast focus, Quiet, Light etc ....
Cons:
NADA

This lens is coming for BARGAIN PRICE and I must say that this "baby" is crazy sharp !!! I am using this lens for table-top photography on subjects such as jewelry etc. and can not say one negative word about it. It is one of my "daily" tool lenses.

Jul 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
saponifiable

Registered: Jun 10, 2006
Review Date: Jul 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, incredible sharpness, f/2.8, macro is fun
Cons:
Expensive lens hood, learning curve for macro (but I'm new), makes my Digital Rebel XT look like a toy (although it really is a fun toy)

I've had a Digital Rebel XT for a month, and I finally drop my cash for this lens which almost costs as much as my camera body. I'm glad to say that the money was worth it and a great step up in quality compared to the 50mm f/1.8 II (But I like this lens because it's so cheap and cute).

Since I have 1.6x, I also use this lens for medium telephoto and it's amazing. For macro, it is great as well, but naturally a lot harder to use.

For once in my life, I can't wait to see bugs.

Jul 1, 2006