Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

206 477116 Apr 16, 2013
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

Markus Jais

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Review Date: Sep 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, fast AF, cheaper than the 3.5/180L
Cons:

This is an extremely good and sharp lens. Although I use my Canon EF 3.5/180L for most of my close ups (I prefer the longer focal length), I am glad I bought the 2.8/100. Especially for hand holding when photographing agile insects, this lens is perfect.
The optical performance is outstanding.

Sep 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Markus Jais to your Buddy List
lsr792000

Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Review Date: Sep 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp sharp sharp even wide open! Amazing and ultra smooth bokeh!
Cons:
Nil

Bought this lens to venture into the arena of macro photography! Wow i was really impressed when i uploaded my pictures into the computer. The pictures are very sharp even wide open! Never thought of such results. Think i am going to be totally memerised by this lens and macro photography! Highly recommended lens!

Sep 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lsr792000 to your Buddy List
Andre Arruda

Registered: Aug 6, 2006
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Aug 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, sharpness, sharpness... If you want it, you've got it.
Cons:
I still don't have a spare one :-) now on the serious side, I don't understand why Canon don't sell the parasol ET-67 together with the lens. The parasol is vital and shouldn't be an accessory.

A Great tool for macro but if you are SERIOUS on portrait, don't think twice: this lens match Leica standarts. The bokeh is pure art. Believe me, you'll be addicted (lol) to this lens. The front element is a bit ahead, so pick a good UV filter for protection.

Aug 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andre Arruda to your Buddy List
Caet49

Registered: Jun 6, 2003
Review Date: Aug 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Beutiful Colour, lightweight design,broken and of course the sharpness.
Cons:
Dosent come with tripod ring - or a bag. Cost extra - almost every outher company suply there lens with this.

A superbly macro lense. You can do alot of things right with this lightweight lense. Ofcourse theres the macro work but its also a stunner when you want too shot portraits - the boken is well put together so the background is really easy too control.

Its super sharp, with vivid colurs so overall a good lense - i havent had experience with outher macro lenses and i dont think that is going too something that will keep me sleepless doing the nights :D

Thanks to Canon for making a product that will be in my bag for alot of years to come.

Aug 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Caet49 to your Buddy List
Zubrickij

Registered: Aug 15, 2007
Location: Ukraine
Review Date: Aug 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness(even with crop matrix),TRUE MACRO,inner focusing,optional ratio:price/quality
Cons:
No Image Stabilization

Aug 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zubrickij to your Buddy List
Billy Buckle

Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Review Date: Aug 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Just about the right weight. THe best colours I've ever seen under the golden ring.
Cons:
Sorry to say, do it does haunt when inadequate light is available. However you can contravene with the manual ring

I'm using the 50mm f1.4 and the 28mm 1.8 but this 100 is far better in colours and in contrasts as well.

I dont miss the IS on a 1.6x crop XTi. You can handle the sake outdoor. Sharpness: MAN.

Aug 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Billy Buckle to your Buddy List
Sailaire

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Jul 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's an "L" without the price tag.
Cons:
Hard to find an available used one.

I had a Sigma 50mm EX DG for several years. It was an excellent macro 50 and at the time to did the double duty as a normal lens as well.

When I went to the Sigma 18-50 EX DG f2.8 it was used only for Macro. Got the itch for something a bit longer.

I Considered the 150mm Sigma if I had to buy new as the prices were similar if you added the hood and a filter.

Picked one up on the buy-sell. Ordered the outrageously expensive Canon tripod ring as a knock off from China. $ 40 US delivered. Perfect!

It's a great lens but you have to do your shopping or you will overpay.

this is a versatile lens where as the 150mm's and 180mm's are pretty much decicated to Macro shots.

Jul 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sailaire to your Buddy List
Hitendra

Registered: Feb 15, 2007
Location: India
Review Date: Jul 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, superb balance, well built.
Jul 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hitendra to your Buddy List
Sammy Bates

Registered: Feb 23, 2007
Review Date: Jun 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid construction, true macro lens, 58mm filters, sharp images, dual capabilities (standard prime/macro), heft and feel.
Cons:
Actually, none.

I purchased this lens to fill the "gap" in my glass for a good, solid macro lens. This lens is extremely well-built, has a solid heft that inspires confidence, and takes stunning macro images. I am also very impressed with its ability to serve as a great portraiture lens in a pinch because it allows you to maintain a physically remote distance from your subject while maintaining your ability to take evocative head shots. The truth is, I look for excuses to use this lens over my standard/mid-tele lens (currently Canon's 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, but I have ordered the 24-70mm f/2.8L) on my 30D body because it simply feels so good in my hand. I also use the optional battery grip on my 30D and it makes the use of this lens especially nice.

I think Canon did its customers a very big favor by desigtning this lens for the price they charge. Those afficionados of macro photography will love this lens. It has fast, accurate focusing, beautifully variable DOF, and knockout imaging capabilities. I recommend a good, solid tripod for truly spectacular images, but it is light enough to manage good results in decent light without one. This lens is easily light enough (1.32 lbs.)to keep on your camera all day long if necessary without wearing you out (A neat trick for a 2.8 USM lens). Would it be improved with IS? Yes, it probably would, but that would also negate its great price and place it in a price range comparable to some of the "L" lenses. I think that Canon has really outdone themselves with the design, construction, and capabilities of this lens. I think that it is an extremely good value for the money.

Jun 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sammy Bates to your Buddy List
Kevin Sherman

Registered: Nov 11, 2006
Review Date: Jun 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build, INSANE sharpness, quick AF, USM, Max. Aperature, uh MACRO!
Cons:
AF close up

This is a tremendous lens. My first one was a EF 50mm f1.8 II, this is one HUGE leap beyond that one. On a crop camera, this lense is a little too long (160mm). The auto focus is fast and quiet. Focusing on object extremely close is a bit iffy. Build quality is stellar. Over time, the focus ring as gotten a TINY bit lose, probably why they didn't put a red collar on this baby.

Overall, this lense is my favorite! Wouldn't trade this for anything! HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

Jun 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sherman to your Buddy List
condrup.eu

Registered: Jul 20, 2006
Review Date: May 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazingly sharp. Good handling. Another world discovered (Macro). Option to purchase a tripod-colar for horizontal shooting. Great prize, compared to quality.
Cons:
AF not as fast as you could hope for, but then again it is macro.. No IS, im hoping Canon will make a macro with IS one day, just as Nikon has.

Best macro lens for the price. Quality should have a red ring (L), build quality lags weather sealing (ive used mine in rainforrest areas, it did live through, but still..)

Im dreaming of the 180mm one day, unless Canon makes a macro with Image Stabilizer, until then this is the best out there, so do not hesitate, you wont be disapointed! Smile

May 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add condrup.eu to your Buddy List
splain2me

Registered: Nov 20, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp sharp SHARP!
Cons:
doesn't come with lens hood - a concern when shooting macro, so close the glass.

I've had the lens for about a year now - and it's my favorite lens, over the 17-40mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8.

Sharper than my other lenses - great as a macro, but as others have mentioned it works beautifully for portraits.

May 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add splain2me to your Buddy List
kambiz doonbol

Registered: May 5, 2007
Review Date: May 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, nice Bokeh on macro and portrait, light, Price
Cons:
difficulty AF in dim light, a bit slow AF

This is an awesome lens. I use it mostly for Macro photography.
I used it for portrait before i got my 85mmL f1.2. This make a nice portrait lens too, but it's no way near the 85mm. hehe

The only problem i had with the lens was the AF which isn't that fast... i usually find myself using MF especially in dim light..

But overall this is a great lens. It worth every penny.
And it is unbelievable for the price.
If you are not sure to buy it I'd say go for it.
I've also got the Kenko extension tube for it...

You can see some of the pictures i've taken with lens in the Macro gallery on my website:

May 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kambiz doonbol to your Buddy List
gbee

Registered: May 21, 2004
Posts: 1951
Review Date: Apr 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, good AF to true Macro, no focus extension, that's really neat.
Cons:
Can be difficult to actually get ~ presumably due to it's high demand

Was just totally blown away by this lens, had heard the rave reviews but did not believe them.

This is one fine piece of machinery, I am really surprised at the quality, sharpness and accurate AF ~ even on my humble 350D ~ had seen pics taken with this combo but suspected a rat ~ no so, I see the light, this lens is just fantastic.

And don't believe this hogwash on EBay where the older ones are worth $1,000 plus ~ they are not.

Apr 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gbee to your Buddy List
richardho11

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Apr 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, excellent price, creamy smooth bokeh, decently fast at f/2.8, good build, does not extend when zooming and excellent af speed.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

This is an excellent macro / porature lens! Its really ultra sharp and creates a creamy smooth bokeh at f/2.8. At $475 new, you really can't go wrong!! AF speed is decently quick, build feels nice and sturdy. I love how the barrel does not extend when zooming in, this way I won't scare all the little critters. All in all, this is one of the best bang for the buck lens I own! Highly Recommended!!!

Apr 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richardho11 to your Buddy List
Robr

Registered: Apr 1, 2006
Review Date: Apr 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp and light
Cons:
No lenshood, (but no flare seen yet).

As I bought this one for the macro abilities, but soon I discovered to have a very nice sharp portrait lens also!
Usually I use(d) the 70-200mm L IS for the portrait part. This small and light 100mm lens is very versatile and allows me to go extremely close. Macro is sharp and portrait is sharp, comparable to the 70-200. Although I prefer the bokeh of the 70-200 still. Together with my 16-35 a very nice light walk a(ll)round lens kit.
As a macro lens it delivers nice colorfull images at 1:1.
A must have lens!

Apr 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Robr to your Buddy List

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM