Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

208 482667 Jul 6, 2014
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

Page:  10 · 11 · 12 · 13  next

Samegapixel

Registered: Aug 6, 2005
Review Date: Sep 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, good color, nice weight and it seems to fit the 350d very well.
Cons:
Focusing seems very poor in bad light (I even fail quite often to achieve focus lock in reasonably adequate light indoors). I have no other bad feelings about this lens. I guess something that many may not know is that at 1:1 the focal length is nearer 70mm due to the internal focusing. This may be important for some but it doesn't bother me.

Sep 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Samegapixel to your Buddy List
ctranter

Registered: May 31, 2005
Review Date: Sep 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Super Sharp, not too heavy, not to expensive.
Cons:
Ridiculously priced hood and tripod mount

I had really gotten into macro photography after using my dads tamron 90mm macro and so was looking to get one of my own. In the end it boiled down to this or the tamron. I think i chose this mainly due to the extra reach and canon's good name. I am certainly glad I did. This lens is just brilliant. On par with my 400mm f/5.6L for sharpness and almost as good AF speed (although i manual focus most of the time).

My only gripe is the vast expense required to purchase the lesn hood (which i think is 100% necessary to protect the protruding fron lens and stop light) and the tripod ring (which i cant bring myself to buy).

All in all a great lens.

Sep 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ctranter to your Buddy List
gsansoucie

Registered: Aug 21, 2005
Review Date: Aug 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, easy to use (once you get the hang of it). Not too bulky.
Cons:
This is not a point and shoot lens, you have to learn how to use it. Should come with the lens hood.

I spent a lot of time reviewing this lens. I spent a lot of time out here reading the reviews & out on pbase looking at sample photos taken with this lens.

I narrowed it down to the new EF 60mm Macro & the EF 100 Macro. I even tested out the 60mm. The 60mm is great and appeared sharp, but I wanted the extra focal length.

This lens takes a little getting used to. I am an avid tea drinker and have picked up a bit of a shake. I cannot take decent pictures handholding this lens. For that reason, I have started carrying my monopod with me (Giotto MM 9170).

You can see my new macro gallery out on pbase, considering I just got this lens last week, I would say it works quite well.

You really do have to stop this down to f/9 - f/11 or so to get a decent Dof for most insect closeups, otherwise you wind up with one small part of the body in focus and the rest slightly blurred.

The lens is not as big as I had expected. Unfortunately I could not see the lens before ordering, none of the local shops stocked it.

I can safely fit this lens on my Rebel XT in my new m-rock bag
(I have the Yellowstone model http://www.m-rock.com/yellowstone.html).

Because it all fits nicely into the bag, I can carry it around everywhere I go (within reason).

I like the internal focus mechanism. I tried out the Sigma 105mm and the tube extends forever, potentially scaring off various photo-worthy subjects.

I cannot comment on the AF as I turn it off for my macro work. There is no need to wait for the AF mechanism to hunt when I can manually focus the lens faster. For non-macro subjects, I've found the AF to be on par with other Canon lenses.

I would definately recommend this lens, if you have been looking at this, go for it! You will NOT be disappointed.

Aug 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gsansoucie to your Buddy List
euro

Registered: Sep 5, 2004
Review Date: Aug 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, macro, fast focus
Cons:
af hunts, pretty loud af

Well i rented this lens to play around a bit and shot some tennis and macro things around the house. I'm pretty impressed with this lens. AF is fast but it hunts sometimes which takes some getting used to. The build quality imo isnt the greatest. Dont get me wrong it feels solid but a lens hood should come stock to help avoid hitting the glass when shooting macro (the lens extends quite a ways). Other then that it is super sharp and would reccomend it to anyone who loves to shoot bugs and flowers and even portrait. I think for sports i'd stay away....it wasnt designed for sports but could be applied occasionally

Aug 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add euro to your Buddy List
destiny_uk

Registered: Aug 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Well built. Fast focus.
Cons:
When you use it with 1.4x TC and EF12mm tube you can't focus to infinity or even close anymore. This is probably normal? Tripod collar 'B' is a rip off, as is the hood.

I really like this lens. It's so so so sharp. I discovered ant and bee tongues with it!

I bought it for macro: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philchambers/15171717/in/set-367746/

but it's a great portrait lens too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/philchambers/13661593/

It's probably easier to manually focus it at macro distances, especially if you're chasing bees or similar.

Get one - they're cheap as chips!!

lots of example shots:

Aug 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add destiny_uk to your Buddy List
epphoto

Registered: Apr 24, 2005
Review Date: Aug 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $465.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High sharpness ,Nice contrast ,excellent color ,Very Fast Focusing for a Macro lens
Cons:
No lens hood,no bag ,no tripod collar

I Have own a number of L lenses. But this glass and the build quality of this 100mm macro seems to be more in line with an L lens
Just look some of my Pictures to see the quality of those lens http://www.pbase.com/epphoto/macro

Aug 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add epphoto to your Buddy List
bret

Registered: Nov 11, 2003
Review Date: Aug 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I like this lens a lot, not just because it is new for me. It is sharp, handles high contrast well, and it can focus really close. In good light it focuses really fast.
Cons:
None that I know about.

I am really glad I got this lens. I think it kicks a@$.

Aug 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bret to your Buddy List
jimdavies

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Jul 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Sharp Sharp. Beatiful images
Cons:
AF can be slow and hunts a bit in low light.

I've always wanted to take close up images of insects, flowers and the like and I knew that after a short while using a DSLR a macro lens was the way to go. Having a 20D I thought about the Canon 60mm macro but decided on this lens becuase I could get slightly further away from my subject and still retain 1:1 magnification.

This lens really is fantastic. It's sharp as a tack and really should be classed as an L. I paid UK 259 for this lens which I still think is a bargain.

Depth of field is VERY narrrow when close to the subject with the lens wide open and a tripod really is recommended. AF can be slow at times but generally it's very good.

I fancy some ext. tubes to get even closer but I'll leave it for a while before doing that.

This is my favourite lens. I love it.

Jul 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimdavies to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Jul 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, light, fast focussing...well my copy is.
Cons:
no hood....as standard

Sold my 135 F2L to get this lens...no regrets so far. LOVE LOVE LOVE the sharpness of this piece of glass.

Jul 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
davidrwilliams

Registered: Nov 15, 2004
Review Date: Jul 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely stunning image quality, with very good build and fast AF.
Cons:
Very exposed front lens element that needs protection when shooting close-up. Hood should be included within the price. Loses some focal length at macro shooting distances - down to about 70mm by 1:1.

Superb optics with very high sharpness and contrast, and excellent colour reproduction. Very good build quality - very close to that of an L-lens.

Optional tripod mount enhance an already excellent macro lens by overcoming one of the major limitations of 100mm macros with easy re-framing of macro subjects.

Manual focus can be difficult for subjects out of the macro range as the focus ring throw is very short - AF is almost mandatory for accurate focusing at 1 meter or greater.

AF accuracy on my (calibrated) 20D is excellent, right out of the box.

With the internal focus design of this lens, it loses focal length as it focuses closer, but if that's the sacrifice to be made for USM and FT-M focusing, I'll gladly accept it.

Jul 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidrwilliams to your Buddy List
cezars

Registered: Mar 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 9, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $450.00

Pros: quality, lifesize, f.2.8, affordable, makes a good portrait lens
Cons:
none except working distance and sometimes slow autofocus

At first, I thought I had a bad copy of this lens... That was before I got used to it. With some experience, I now see the true qualities of this lens.

It's true that when using extension tubes, this lens becomes extremely sensitive to movement; however, without tubes, I find it more and more easy to take shots with this lens.

The image quality is almost comparable to a L lens. The price isn't. Overall, I'm very satisfied of this lens. I love insects so I can't afford to go shooting without it.

If you're looking to buy this lens, I'd consider it for insects, flowers, portraits, and birds that are relatively close.

About a week ago, I tried the manual focus. I'm more than satisfied with the results. I thought it would be much harder. Give it a try if you have the chance Smile

Example of a fly (lifesize, without extension tubes, no flash, MF):

Example of a fly (lifesize, without extension tubes, no flash, AF):

Example of a fly (1.72x magnification, with extension tubes (72mm), no flash, AF):

Example of ordinary table salt (1.72x magnification, with extension tubes (72mm), no flash, AF):

Jun 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cezars to your Buddy List
Tim Wild

Registered: Nov 16, 2004
Review Date: Jun 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very, very sharp lens, even wide open. Reasonably fast focusing, for a macro lens.
Cons:
It focuses slowly in low light if you're not using a speedlight. Auto focus doesn't work well at macro distances.

This is a great, great lens. It's probably the sharpest lens I have. Focusing is reasonably quick, given how far the focusing ring has to move. In low light focusing speed goes down, unless you use a speedlight with a focus assist beam. AF doesn't work well at macro distances, you generally need to use manual focus.

I highly recommend this lens.

Jun 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tim Wild to your Buddy List
Westerberg

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $652.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, color and contrast are all excellent.
Cons:
None yet

I've had the privilege to have my ways with a number of L-lenses (16-35/2,8L, 28-70/2,8L, 70-200/2,8L IS, 200/1,8L) and I was surprised when I first held this lens in my hand after having it UPS'd from Germany. Build quality is definently in the same league as any of the above lenses.

The second thing that struck me by surprise was the sharpness. This thing is SHARP at its maximum aperture. I thought my 50/1,8 II was sharp at f/2,8 until I got this lens.

Also compared to the 50/1,8 II, both color and contrast are excellent.

The only thing that keeps this lens - I feel - from being labled "L", is the AF. At normal shooting, the AF is VERY fast. In low light and close up to the subject AF hunts alot.

All in all, I am relieved that this lens performs as well as it does. I have absolutely no regrets at all for buying this lens.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Westerberg to your Buddy List
rossmehan

Registered: Apr 9, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, good contrast and color saturation for a non-L lens
Cons:
Feels like a non-L lens (duh) - Autofocus hunts a bit

I bought this lens on strenght of reviews only and it has not disappointed. Excellent sharpness and surprisingly good color fidelity and contrast considering it's a reasonably-priced non-L lens. IMHO this lens should be in every Canon shooter's bag. A great lens for macro and portraits---

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rossmehan to your Buddy List
TNphoto

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: May 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Flexibility, performance, build, price, fun factor
Cons:

Please read all of the other reviews before you read this one. I'm not going to recount the great optical performance, build quality, AF performance, or anything else like that. Instead, I'm going to comment on my feelings after 5 months of use. This lens is terrific. If I want to have fun with my camera and I can only take one lens then this is the one I take. True, it's a little long on a 1.6x crop but for most general use like kid pics, event use, portraits, etc., it works well. Anyway, the flexibility of being able to selectively focus on just about any subject you can imagine is great. One minute you might feel like a true 1:1 shot while the next you need a sharp, contrasty, close up, but not macro close up. This lens can take care of that as well. Then, if you simply want an incredibly sharp and well colored portrait then this again will work. Bottom line, buy it and enjoy it. This is one heck of a lens. I will echo others in saying though that don't bother with a UV filter, just buy the hood and be extremely careful when removing the lens cap. My process is to take the cap off very carefully, attach the hood, which will really protect the front element, and then simply leave it off until I'm completely done shooting. I try to carry around a chamois to clean the front element if dust gets on the glass and honestly this is much safer than playing around with lens caps and taking them on and off. Great toy...

May 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TNphoto to your Buddy List
ocean7

Registered: Oct 1, 2004
Posts: 2011
Review Date: May 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness + contrast + color rendition + build quality = Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
Cons:
None so far. Oh yes, if you want to be extremely picky the AF/MF and focus limit switches feel a bit flimsy.

Well what else can I add that has not already been written? Of course this might be the sharpest non-L lens that you might add to your collection. Even sharper to my eyes than the EF 85mm f/1.8 that I sold to fund this macro lens.

I own a D60. This camera is known to hunt for an accurate focus in low light. A few reviewers reported hunting with this lens, whatever their camera is. I found it to very extremely fast and dead on, even on my "old" D60.

Build quality? Feels like it can last ages even under the roughest handling.

This lens is not underated, every photographer seems to know what it's worth. Nor is it overrated. I could not try it before I actually purchased one. I only heard about it and read reviews but I can tell you I was really short of breath when I looked at the first pictures taken.

This is an amazing piece of glass. Period.

May 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ocean7 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM