Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

208 482605 Jul 6, 2014
ef_100_28_1_

Autofocus lens for macro photography up to life-size (1x) magnification. Inner focusing affords a long working distance of 5.9in. (149mm) at 1x. A 3-group floating system results in excellent delineation at all focusing distances. Ring USM for silent and high-speed AF, and full-time manual focusing also provided. The optional Tripod Mount Ring (B) B (with adapter) enables the lens to be rotated for vertical or horizontal framing.

TKW54

Registered: Apr 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extemely sharp Macros. Well built lens. Quality rivals L glass
Cons:
Hunts a bit in low light

As fine a macro lens I have used with regard to sharpness and color. Though it does tend to hunt in low light, it does find its mark. I am extremely impressed. This lens rivals some of its L cousins for picture quality. Not L quality build but certainly substantial. A bargain priced lens in my opinion.

Jan 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TKW54 to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A great Macro lens that is as good when used as a tele.
Cons:
Sometimes Hunts

What a shame that this lens falls in between my 85 and 135 because it is a real stellar performer as a macro and as a mid tele lens. Build quality although very good is not quite on par with L but and mine does hunt a bit at times when really close in. It doesn`t detract from what is a real 100% winner as far as image quality is concerned and at the end of the day that is the all important thing. There are quite a few macro lenses around and as far as I can see they are all general good performers so I suppose the way is open to your own choice but I can only advise on the Canon version and there are no bad surprises waiting for you. It has a really good deep hood that really keeps the stray light away. I bet if I took this lens out on location and left behind my 85 and 135 I would be blown away by the results! in fact I might just try that:-)

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
ontime

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 2001
Review Date: Jan 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharp, sturdy build, price
Cons:
AF hunts in certain situations, lens hood sold separately (wtf), tripod ring expensive, where's the red ring?

Excellent, excellent lens. Highly recommended. Wow.

Jan 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ontime to your Buddy List
Daguerre999

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: The best Macro lens ever??? Perfect for FF or 1.6 crop. Film or digital. Does what it says on the box.
Cons:
Slightly flare-prone and needs hood for non-macro shots. Should come with tripod collar.

This lens delivers exceptional results as either a dedicated Macro or medium telephoto / portrait. Beautifully built and well balanced on my 30D & EOS 5. Like any dedicated lens, it takes a bit of work to get most out of it, but you will not be dissapointed. Buy one!
Bought recently & happily from addy616 on FM Smile.

Jan 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Daguerre999 to your Buddy List
smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp!
Cons:

I'm on my 3rd one of these. The 1st was non-USM and didn't find it's way to my bag very often. The 2nd was sacrificed to make room for the EF-S 60mm (great lens!). But now I'm back to FF and this lens (#3) has taken on a new life. It is superb! I will never part with it (until IS comes along) and it goes with me everywhere. The benchmark of macro lenses.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Sharp!, Images *pop*, great contrast and color. Fast USM, Soild Build ,weight is "just right" for handheld macros, value
Cons:

A fine piece of glass in every aspect! If you shoot macro, its a must buy.

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
terminator

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: Nov 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $410.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrast, close-up shooting, fast focus, lightweight, build quality, f/2.8
Cons:
hood is espensive, size is a little big

At the beginning, I just bought this lens for the triple rebate and did not intend to keep it. But after a few test shots, I decided to keep it. How can I let such a gorgeous lens go?!!!

I am not particularly interested in macro photography. But this lens is versatile enough to be a nice portrait lens. Close-up capability grants me many chances to take unusual portraits. Auto-focus is super fast thanks to the ring USM, and it is fairly usable for macro photography. Images are superb sharp - a tiny wrinkle on your wife/girlfriend's face could be exaggerated into the grand caynon. Nah! But keep in mind that bokeh is not as good as other portrait lens like 85 f/1.8 and 135 f/2. Build quality feels good - though not as solid as an L. I am also surprised at its light weight for the size.

Overall, this is one of those must-have. After triple rebate, it is not as expensive as before. I'm now looking for a hood since it is necessary for macro photography - but it is expensive!

Nov 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add terminator to your Buddy List
ducati0000

Registered: Jul 24, 2005
Review Date: Nov 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing clearity,I can consider this a "L" series lens even though its not listed as such..well balance,very smooth.over all a excellent everyday shooters lens.
Cons:
nothing at all...one of the best 1:1 lens on the market hands down.

Bought this lens for the marco applications,but when used as a everyday lens I'm very impressed with its flexiablity and the sharpness it takes as a walk about lens..not flashy so it stand out like the "L" lens but truth to be told the lens should be in the "L" class..its that good..

Nov 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ducati0000 to your Buddy List
dan212

Registered: Apr 21, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $459.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very light when compared to L glass. Tack sharp. Good value for money
Cons:
Build not as good as L glass, but that is to be expected for price. Focus can hunt in low contrast

Bought my 100/2.8 as a combined Macro and portrait lens. I like the 135/F2 but it is just too long on my 20D.

This lens is a real bargain. After getting used to lugging around a 24-70 it feels like a feather. The macro functions work very well and it is extremely sharp at distance. I have an 85/1.8 and the 100/2.8 is quite a bit sharper - even wide open.

Compared to the 135/F2 the difference in contruction quality is very clear, but at half the price that is to be expected.

I did find that the AF focus can get lost at times and it will hunt until I give it a high contrast point to steer toward. This is usually when switching from a close focus to a long focus situation. The auto-focus will get lost and thrash in low contrast situations - especially when it starts badly out of focus which kills the contrast and probably explains the hunting mentioned above. This is not a real problem once the behavior is understood except in low light or low contrast situations.

I don't find that the auto-focus on the 20D works well in extreme macro mode (yes tried spot mode) but I get incredible results with manual focus.

2.8 is fine for Macro lens. I generally work with a tripod and stop down a bunch anyway, but I wish this was a 2.0 for walk-around / portrait mode. I am really happy with it.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dan212 to your Buddy List
eendicott

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great Macro! Great bokeh! Clear images!
Cons:
Slow Focus; watch out for dust on the lens!

I bought this lens used four days ago. Excellent lens, good bokeh, good focus. One thing I found a little helpful while shooting with a 20d is to adjust your metering/focus settings on the view finder - this will keep you from having to 'focus hunt'. The lens doesn't focus as fast as some of my other lenses but then again, that's good when you're in close.

Since I bought the lens used, I also had a problem with the dust showing up on pictures. Apperantly I need eye glasses because the camera was focusing in on dust I couldn't see until I practically put the lense to my face and searched for it in the light (is that the eye/age thing going on or what?).

Keep things clean and you'll love it! I would highly recommend to anyone that is getting started in macro photos.

Nov 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eendicott to your Buddy List
marsupialj

Registered: Jul 21, 2005
Review Date: Nov 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness. Close focusing. USM Speed. Build quality. Quiet!
Cons:
No hood.

I absolutely adore this lense: it makes the rest of my collection feel like junk. The little charmer is sharp, versatile, quiet, fast and fun.

Be careful... the 100 Macro 2.8 is like a gateway drug to L addiction. The best defense is to cut up your Credit/ATM cards.

Happy shooting!

Nov 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marsupialj to your Buddy List
M.Sears

Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp sharp sharp even pretty sharp wide open.
Cons:
Should come with a lens hood.

Very very pleased with sharpness of this lens. Its as good as everyone said. I bought this lens for macro work, landscape and portraits that I want very very sharp. It sure seems perfect for that.

Nov 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add M.Sears to your Buddy List
Space Cowboy

Registered: Jul 8, 2005
Review Date: Oct 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, wonderful contrast, beautiful construction, not expensive for an "L" quality Lens, USM, not too large or heavy.
Cons:
Doesn't come with the hood, should be "L"...

Oct 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Space Cowboy to your Buddy List
malla1962

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp,very fast,accurate focusing.
Cons:
??????????? None

What can I say,I just love this lens and think it should have a red ring around the end,it deserves one.

Oct 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add malla1962 to your Buddy List
thw2

Registered: Dec 26, 2004
Review Date: Oct 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $465.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp wide open, very fast and accurate focusing, excellent build
Cons:
Absolutely none

Maybe slightly more expensive than competition. But well worth it. I had the Sigma 150 f/2.8 for a while. Focusing was inconsistent on the Sigma. HSM speed is also no match for USM on the Canon 100 f/2.8. The Sigma 150 is also a tad heavier than what I wanted. Sold the Sigma and bought the Canon 100. Couldn't be happier. One of the best lenses I have ever used. Brilliant. Smile

Oct 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thw2 to your Buddy List
eric_krumm

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $449.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sturdy, quick focus (with proper distance selection), sharp optics
Cons:
High cost for add-ons like the mandatory lens hood.

My decision for buying this lens instead of the cheaper 85 or 100 ultimately came down to the minimum focus distance. While I don't shoot bugs or tiny products (usually) I like to be able to shoot intimately close at times and the other lenses can't do it.
There is a learning curve when you start using this lens but itís well worth the effort as the result is sharp, well defined images over the entire range. One thing I did differently this time is I got the overpriced plastic Canon lens hood (ET-67 - $39.95) to minimize flare plus it will help keep stuff off the glass.

Oct 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eric_krumm to your Buddy List

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM