Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*

11 13081 Dec 23, 2015
8.6
Screen_Shot_2013-11-13_at_12_59_33_PM_copy

Name: Sony 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* SEL55F18Z
Image Circle: 35mm (Full-frame E-Mount)
Type Standard: Prime
Focal Length: 55mm
APS Equivalent: 82.5mm
Max Aperture: f/1.8
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 7 elements in 5 groups with 3 apheric elements
Diagonal Angle of View (Based on image circle): 43 degrees
Focus Details: Linear motor
Front Element Rotation: No
Closest Focus: 50cm / 1.64 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.14x / 1:7.1
Dimensions (Length x Diameter): 70.5mm x 64.4mm / 2.78 in. x 2.53 in.
Weight: 281g / 10 oz
Notes: Included Accessories: ALC-SH129 Lens Hood
Online Price: US$1,000 (Available Jan. 2014)

Ghost

Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 23, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open, pleasing bokeh, perfect size for the A7 cameras, great value for what it can deliver, solid built, beautiful colour rendering
Cons:
Some might consider it expensive for a 50-ish FL with f1.8. The metal hood is a bit slippery.

I had this long for a while now. It's used predominantly as a standard FL portraiture. You can check out the vast amount of photos shot with this lens at my website (www.veritas-images.com).

In my years of owning various lenses, few blew me away that this Sony Zeiss 55/1,8 did. Very solidly built. The focusing ring has just the right amount of smoothness.

Colour rendering is wonderful. They just pop beautifully. Shot wide open at f1.8 results in satisfactory sharpness. There's this cool 3D like separation of subject and background with certain compositions.

I cycle through lenses depending on quality they deliver. For me it's not always about absolutes. It's about character and ability to deliver the image I have in my mind the moment I press the shutter button.

I have a feeling this lens will be a mainstay together with the 135L and the Sigma 35 Art.

Dec 23, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ghost to your Buddy List
Chuck Eklund

Registered: Mar 8, 2007
Review Date: Oct 25, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $998.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp edge to edge, fast focus, low light focus, small and light
Cons:
Fitting some filters

The perfect leave it on the camera lens. Before other options came along I appreciated it slightly long FL for a normal lens and it's ability to capture portraits with blurred backgrounds and little facial distortion.

Oct 25, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chuck Eklund to your Buddy List
susi

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Sep 11, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $875.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quick focus, very sharp, light weight, well built
Cons:

Great little lens. The bokah is not as 'dreamy' as my 50 f/1.2 on my 5DMKlll but this lens, of course is not a 1.2. It is much easier to get the face in focus with a little more aperture and get every single hair rendered in sharp detail.
Here is a gallery where I used this lens the first time :
Took these with my new Sony A7R ll and just a great combo ! I am loving the portraits I have taken thus far !
I read many reviews on FB in the sony forum before purchasing and I think all the praise has proven to be true about this lens !

Sep 11, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add susi to your Buddy List
Jmac88

Registered: Oct 30, 2013
Review Date: Jul 2, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp corner to corner
Cons:

One of the sharpest primes I've used.

Jul 2, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jmac88 to your Buddy List
TheEmrys

Registered: Jul 3, 2013
Review Date: May 20, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $998.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sharp, excellent contrast, strong Sony colors
Cons:
Fly-By-Wire AF? really the only issue

Love the rendering of this lens. Wonderful contrast and pop to images. Lovely micro-contrast. Great balance between bokeh, contrast, and sharpness, something hard to do. Unparalleled sharpness in such a small package. Love whatever hoodoo Sony is doing to get such bright lenses, but it is as bright as any f/1.4 lens thanks to a t/1.8.

May 20, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheEmrys to your Buddy List
Carles77

Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Review Date: Apr 28, 2015 Recommend? no | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: weight, autofocus, well build
Cons:
flat in many aspects, CA at f/1.8-2, colours soft, it could be an standard zoom lens but without zoom!

I wanted to buy the loxia but someone gives me a good offer for this lens. I've tried this lens for a few shots but I think it's a flat lens. It's sharp but not really amazing, colors are little soft and also has no specially good bokeh for this kind and expensive lens. So If you don't have good colours, no 3d effect (I have many zeiss lenses for canon including 21,25 and the 100) and no specially nice bokeh, it's like a zoom lens with more aperture, nothing special there. Who said "the little otus" has to buy a new monitor... For family shooters coming from sony nex or something like small sensors this lens will make it, but if you like lens with character like leica o zeiss I think this is not for you. I will sell it and try to find if loxia it's better or same "no soul" lens.

Apr 28, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carles77 to your Buddy List
Sami Ruusunen

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Mar 18, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp corner to corner even wide open. Light but good build quality.
Cons:
"only" f1.8.

Best normal lens I've ever used.

Mar 18, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sami Ruusunen to your Buddy List
twoeye

Registered: Jan 13, 2011
Review Date: Jan 5, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Very sharp, smooth bokeh, moderate CA. Lightweight.
Cons:
Tilted plane of focus, a rather flat rendering. Slightly big/ long.

I have tried two copies of this lens, both decentered with a tilted plane of focus, focused at infinity both lenses were very good in the centre and on the right side, on the left side the image was in focus at about 20-30m while the background was OOF.

Too me this is not acceptable for a lens in this price range. According to Sony the lenses were within specifications, luckily my retailer still stood up for me and offered me a refund.

A lens that is not decentered I would probably rate at 8 or 9.

Jan 5, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add twoeye to your Buddy List
triniart

Registered: Dec 21, 2011
Location: Trinidad & Tobago
Review Date: Apr 14, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharpness at 1.8 (but see cons). Nice size match for A7R.
Cons:
My copy is de-centered on left side (from left corner to approx. 25% towards center.

Purchased from B&H.
Did some tests and was quite happy with all aspects of lens until I did some outdoor shots. Then I realized the lens was de-centered (and easily seen up to F11). Three Quarters of my images were perfect, even at f 1.8. If I had paid $ 499 for this lens then I would probably keep it. But at double that...no way...
Sending it back for a refund...Will wait till year end to repurchase or see what other FE primes come out by then.
Make sure you check your copy if you have one or buy one. The A7/R images forum has others with similar issue.

Apr 14, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add triniart to your Buddy List
Mark K

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Feb 4, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, light weight
Cons:

Never bought a 50ish lens with so much light. Razor sharp on my 7r...and light weight. Price is an non issue if you compare it against the 55 f1.4

Feb 4, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mark K to your Buddy List
Mattia Valente

Registered: Jan 26, 2009
Review Date: Jan 6, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, wonderful rendering, great build quality, compact (in FF terms, though fairly large for a NEX system lens)
Cons:
'only' f/1.8, price,

I've only been shooting with the 55/1.8 for a few weeks, but it's quickly becoming a favourite on the A7r. It balances nicely, it's very sharp even wide open, and only improves stopped down. The OOF rendering is very smooth and pleasing.

Some will complain about the price (I got lucky with the pricing, but would pay list for this lens based on the quality), and that it's not f/1.8, or not stabilised. But what you get is a high quality, compact lens with Zeiss optics, that's lighter and about the same size as an adapted contax lens on NEX, with autofocus.

Jan 6, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mattia Valente to your Buddy List

Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*