29 32238 Nov 7, 2015

• Up to 4.5 Full Resolution FPS
• Built-In HDR and Multiple Exposure Modes

Page:  1 · 2  next

Registered: Apr 18, 2013
Review Date: Nov 7, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small enough, cheap enough, fast enough, far better than just good enoug.
None for what it is and what it cost.

I had a 6D a few-years-ago and sold it, which was a big mistake. Finally bought another and am very happy to have it back.

I am a hobbyist of about 35 years, and generally prefer the look and feel of older cameras from the 70s. My mot used cameras are my Leica M-E, M Monichrom and for film a old Leica M5. Still, rangefinders may be fun, but they aren't the most practical for casual use, especially for family travel where you want to be in some of the pictures. Likewise rangefinders positively stink for longer lenses than 90mm or wider than 28mm, usually requiring an auxiliary viewfinder.

With just a 35mm or 50mm the Leica is my favorite tool, but as a married traveler who enjoys creating large photobooks after each trip, a DSLR remains a very useful tool, and the Canon 6D is the best I've used for that role.

Last year I sold my 6D to buy a Nikon Df and a few primes, but I found I was using the Df the same way I was using my Leica. So, another 6D is here, and a most collection of quality lenses that play to the advantages of the DSLR for travel. The 24-105mm f/4L is a wonderful travel lens. For many trips, this lens and a nifty fifty (love the new 50/1.8 stm) are all that I want or need, but for longer trips, a 70-200mm f/4 L IS on the long end and a 17-40 mm or 16-35mm f/4 L (haven't decided which yet) will make for an extremely versatile outfit that can do pretty much anything.

6D image quality is fantastic, everything I could ask for and more at the price. AD is great in low light and the camer is. Rey easy to handle and balances well with the 24-105 (Nikon Df was great with primes, but ungainly with the 24-120).

So this time I think the 6D will stick around for a while. I could care less about a newer model coming out, or about higher megapixels in the Somy. For my money on a travel camera this is still as good as it gets.

Nov 7, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add asiafish to your Buddy List

Registered: Oct 31, 2015
Review Date: Oct 31, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image at HIGH ISO (as high as 6400), lightweight, wifi & GPS functionality
NO multicontroller joystick

First off, don't feel underwhelmed with the term 'entry level full frame'. This camera offers substantial customization to almost every buttons eg you can assign the DOF preview button to function as AI servo... except the top button (AF, ISO etc). You can customize functions of this camera to your taste. LOVE these features... there is also AF microadjustment feature of course.

Secondly, the image quality delivered by this little beast is WONDERFUL... The possibility to shoot at near-dark condition is highly tempting... although above ISO 6400 the noise starts creeping and details start losing (but it is still usable for smaller prints). This high-iso capability is at least the same or better than 5D MKIII. The color and contrast is Canon-like (to exploit the sensor better, you MUST use higher quality lenses eg 100L macro or 135L).

Thirdly, the AF points number might discourage people to even consider this camera... It only has 11 AF points and only the center is cross-type. However, the center AF sensitivity is class-leader... It is the most sensitive AF pont Canon has ever produced (-3EV!). For fast action shooter, the 7D or 70D still serves them better IMO.

In conclusion, this is now my main camera... apart from 5D classic and 550D... Love this one...

http://www.hitsticker.com | http://www.printradiant.com | http://www.adstateagent.com

Oct 31, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add johntaylor36 to your Buddy List
M. Best

Registered: Apr 9, 2002
Review Date: Oct 4, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small and lightweight, full frame, great high iso
Nothing really for the price

I bought this last month and am just getting used to it. My previous cameras were the D60, 1D, 20D and 1Ds2 being my last one. The iso is leaps and bounds above anything I've used. I knew going into it, that the focus wasn't going to be as great as my last camera. That being said, I haven't found anything that the center point can't lock onto. I don't do action or wildlife so for the moment, it's been great. Small, light weight and with a 40 STM, very portable. If it's missing anything, it'd be a little pop up flash for when you need it against bright backgrounds.

Oct 4, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add M. Best to your Buddy List

Registered: May 1, 2008
Review Date: Jun 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, Great ISO and FF
No negatives. There are limitations and you should know them and learn to deal with them if you buy the 6D.

I knew the limitations on this camera before I bought it. Most of them really don't make a difference.
180th of a flash sync...what is that, a 1/3 of a f-stop...I haven't noticed a difference compared to my 7D mark ii.
9 focusing points. Yes, the 65 cross type is better by far. I have learned to deal with it as most of my pictures with the 6D are landscape and architecture. So I use only the centre point.

I love the ability to use ISO 3200 and the pictures can still be 20x30 inches.

When I go hiking I take both cameras with me. 7D mark ii for wildlife and 6D for wide angle scenery...unless it is a very cloudy winter day then only the 6D comes with. Better at higher ISO.

I watched a Digital Rev youtube on what they did to a Canon rebel and a Nikon plastic cameras. I have full confidence in my light weight 6D.

Jun 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stopper to your Buddy List

Registered: Jun 10, 2015
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jun 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, small and well built.
9 Focus points

Only 9 focus points...I have had to learn to use just the center point. It is working out just great, just took some time.

Easy to change the WB when I want to, I just press the Q button and I can change the WB. With the other higher end Canons you still have to press the same number of buttons or rotate the dials.

Lighter things does NOT mean poorly built. If you pick up a piece of light stainless steel and then pick up a heavier piece of plastic, you will think that the plastic is better built than the steel.

100,000 shutter actuations...does that mean it will automatically stop at that number...NO.

Jun 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photoguy1956 to your Buddy List

Registered: May 10, 2015
Review Date: May 10, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Image quality, ISO performance, weight and WiFi.
Build quality, no pc sync port,ONE cross type focus point, slow 180th sync speed, WB moved to menu.

The image quality and low noise performance will not leave you disappointed. The images are great. This camera does however it feels cheap compared to earlier full frame models. It's light, so if weight is an issue you'll appreciate this camera. Canon clings to the stone age on focus points:9 REALLY? Looking through the view finder is like looking into the past. I only trust the center focus point. Depending on your f-stop focusing and recomposing may not be an option. Would have loved these features in a more robust body with a more durable shutter box.

May 10, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add spankmonite to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Apr 26, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, noise, weight, price

I have had the 5DmkIII for 2 years now and purchased this body as a second...it has so surprised me that I am amazed that Canon has offered the same if not better image quality (especially at High ISO) in a camera that is half the price. 5 Stars for this camera. The Wifi is also a welcome addition and the centre focus point is more accurate under any lighting conditions, than ALL the focus points on the 5DkIII
Very nice indeed

Apr 26, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Jan 22, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Low weight, quiet shutter, reasonable price
1/180 second flash synch

I wanted a lightweight, portable full frame DSLR without spending $3000. The 6D paired with the EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS is my close-up /nature photography combo when I do not need so many megapixels nor want to lug around a heavy camera; the shutter is very quiet, controls are basic, and the IQ in low light is very good. I also found that assigning the INFO button to activate the electronic level very handy.

Jan 22, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List

Registered: Oct 5, 2014
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Oct 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: weight, IQ, low light capabilities, center af point
wifi/GPS (superfluous), build quality

Bought my first 6d as an entrance to the FF world, couldn't be more happy with it!

Af center point is really sensitive, and as I focus and recompose in 99% of my shots doesn't worth to pay for the 5dMk3.
Low light capabilities era just great, you can use until 6400 ISO with really low grain and even 12800 or 25600 if you like/tolerate the aesthetic of a little grain.

Oct 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add melquisedec to your Buddy List
new puritan

Registered: Feb 16, 2014
Review Date: Sep 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: High ISO is usable for a change. Lack of focus points is not a restriction as the centre point is so good.
Wifi, GPS, lack of popup flash and video superfluous for this old man who learnt on a FED 4L but probably appreciated by many potential users.

If you want to upgrade from the 60/70D it will take you less than 24 hours to feel at home with this fine camera and anyone else considering a 6D will be well impressed by this 'entry level' [whatever that means] full frame camera.

I am impressed by pictures I take at 6400 ISO of moving objects in poor light and regularly use this at 1600/3200 ISO snapping railway wagons [freightcars] at 60 mph or at cricket matches where the small ball may be moving at 90 mph + and I can see the sown seam in my photographs.

To me it seems better balanced with my 24-105L [yes I know I should hate this as it's supposed to be c##p but I must have a good example] than larger bodies and my 70-200 F4 IS is as near as it is possible to being darned perfect for me at my age with my old eyes.

Been out and about with my metal mount 26/27 year old 50mm F1.8 [the mark one] and the 6D and know I know why it is still sells for a £100 plus in the UK as apart from the noisy auto focus this is darned underrated as a walk about lens. Get one of these and a 6D ...

Sep 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add new puritan to your Buddy List

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: May 29, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great size and weight in compare to my 5D3, excellent image quality, fine AF for non sports action shots, also half price of 5D3.
Single SD card, limited shutter speed, wheel ...

I got this body to replace my 2 years old 5D3 and saved $1k for another project, no regrets. I shot all 5D's models and this camera is better than 5D/5D2. I am also trying to reduce my travel bags, tired of bricks inside!
Overall first shots I did is identical to 5D3, nothing is different much. AF is OK using central point which I always do anyway. Also I got refurbished model from Canon which is identical to the new, no single scratch on it.

May 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List

Registered: May 10, 2014
Review Date: May 10, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, weight, price
would prefer the joystick and wheel

Great camera.

Handles nice, not too heavy to carry around all day. Images produced are fantastic. Would prefer the joystick and wheel but the quick control dial isn't bad once you get used to it. Center point is amazing and the outer ones don't seem to be too bad. Used them a bit on a recent vacation, never had a problem with them locking on to what I wanted.

All in all a great FF camera for a great price.

May 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidP99 to your Buddy List
Ralph Conway

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: Feb 15, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,054.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: All better than 5DII which still is a great camera. Imo better than 5D III and 1DX if using center AF only - what I do. This camera gives me everything and much more I wished from a 5D II successor 1.5 years ago. ISO 12.800 usable! Silent mode! Best feel of any bodies offered (imo again). 30% cheaper than I had to pay for 5D II. Better results with any lens I used in the past.
I thought I would miss the joystick. After a week I saw it is no dealbreaker. Would be nice, but I got common with the MF wheel. And I guess Canon needs at least SOMETHING in common for a 6D MK II. Like 1/8000 shutter speed and any faster flashsync ( I do not need or even wish both. Who takes this camera and uses flashes regulary should buy a bridge camera. who needs more than a 180th sync imo does not know anything about using flashes). So far I feel, there is only one real con: 50k shutter cycles less, than 5D II and 5D III! Does not look like a big deal breaker (I shot 75K with 5D II within the last 4.5 years). But does not really feel good - the only thing, that doesn΄t.

The best body I held in my hands the last 37 years. And I paid more than 1.135 $ less, than I had to for the 5D II.
Canon IS a genius. They gave me a 5D II and with 6D they added the follow up that deserved all my wishes.

I do not do sports or BIF. For that 5D III or 1DX might be the right decission. For landscape a Nicon D800 might be. But for everything what I do - people - in real athmo (without flash) 6D is the camera that works. Imo there is no competitor. If I use AF, I still use the center one and recompose. That worked excellent with 5D II and works even better with 6D (ISO 12K is a dream here). I never tested a better camera in this case.
To explain: I did never need to push shadows for 2, 3, 5 or more stops. Shooting at ISO 6.400 or ISO 12K gives me most of the freedom. "Exmor" is not interesting for me. Every offer at ISO 3.600 ore above is loosing against Canon. There is no sony sensored camera on the marked that supports MY NEEDS. Next to that I never met any shooter, who was as fast as me in choosing any different AF point then the center one - and got the important shot!
My "customers" regulary are not waiting for me to get ready (while switching to any outer one). And even if they are, they feel very comfortable, that I already did my shot.

6D is genius!

Before I forget to mention it: I do not have any use for now, but may be I will try Video, WIFI and GPS within the next 5 years. The idea to have it than, still using the same body feels good.

Feb 15, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Conway to your Buddy List

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: Feb 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, price, weight
Quite slow

Hello all,

I bought this body as a secondary body. Since I am only shooting full frame, I was happy not having to invest in another Canon 5D Mark III.

I have been very surprised by the quality of this body. I remember that I cannot get used to the 7D but I immediately fell in love with the 6D. Here is why.

1) Weight. If you do wildlife of landscape, each opportunity to save some weight is really welcome and note just a "nice to have" feature. The Canon 6D is really small but still totally pleasant to use.

2) Image quality is top notch. I don't make a big difference between this body and my 5D III.

3) GPS is not something I use since It really sucks the juice of the battery very fast. So I cannot comment on this.

4) Being able to take a picture from far away using the Wifi and an iPhone is really nice to have.

5) On the downsize, the camera is a bit slow, this is why I am not using it much for wildlife, but a lot more for Landscapes.

Many images are available on my website have been shot with the 6D.

And a full view at my current gear setup:

Best regards,

Feb 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
Yang Ye

Registered: Oct 14, 2006
Review Date: Jan 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight. The ability to focus (with center point) and take clean pictures (high ISO performance) in the dark enables me to take pictures that I was never able to with 5D mark ii. Good ergonomics. In-camera lens correction. Wifi and connection to smartphone.
Delete button is hard to press with right thumb when holding the camera with right hand. No pop-up flash. Focus points clustered in the middle area. Focus point selection can be awkward even using the multi-way controller.

Great light weight camera. A huge upgrade from 5D mark ii. Love every aspects of it except for some issues with the focus points selection methods.

Jan 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Yang Ye to your Buddy List

Registered: Jun 25, 2003
Review Date: Jan 14, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,415.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: easy on the shoulder, amazing image quality
No FEC button, missing popup flash

I bought a 6D Fall 2013 and have been on a shooting binge, gaining a good feel for the features and performance of this camera. I also own a 5D MK II and 60D so it's hard not to notice the 6D is a marriage of the two older cameras: full frame innards of the 5D MKII coupled with the petite form factor and controls of the 60D. Toss in Wi-Fi, GPS, AF tweaks, enhanced high ISO, and that's the 6D in a nutshell.

The 6D is a handsome camera with top notch fit and finish: tough magnesium body shell, engineering grade plastic top panel and lightly textured matte black paint. I suspect the plastic panel was used to enhance Wi-Fi/GPS reception. Canon claims the 6D is weather resistant to the same level as the 7D and 1N and, indeed, mist and light rain don't faze it but I'd protect it in a downpour. The textured rubber grip is comfortable for my medium sized hands and feels secure. It's noticeably smaller and lighter than a 5D MKII and the same size and weight as the 60D.

The 6D is quiet for a SLR and similar to the 60D in this regard. My 5D MKII thunders next to it. However, if quiet isn't quiet enough, 6D silent mode fades to triple pianissimo. Of course you pay for extra stealth with slower FPS and longer viewfinder blackout. Stage shooters will find this camera very useful.

The 3.0" 1,040,000 dot LCD is vivid and clear and spanks my 5D MKII in terms of clarity. It appears to the same LCD as the 60D but without the articulating ability.

The Spartan control interface was inherited from the 60D. There is no flash exposure compensation (FEC) button, White Balance (WB) button or joystick, and the Quick Control Dial (QCD) is smaller than most EOS models. FEC is set on the LCD. I prefer a FEC button so compensation may be applied while looking through the viewfinder. However the buttons and wheels it does have sport a solid and precise feel compared to the 60D.

It inherits one control from the 7D: the Liveview/Video start button It's a large button/toggle switch on the upper right. The outer switch toggles between video and Liveview while the button starts/stops these functions. Fast and intuitive compared to the 60D's mode dial and button finger twister.

The 6D AF array has the same diamond shaped coverage as the 5D MKII, a single cross point (center) but two additional outer points. The center AF point has been significantly enhanced and is amazingly sensitive and sure-footed in low light. It can snag focus in closets and caves! The 10 single axis outer points are not nearly as senstive but are better than those of the 5D MKII. All in all, a big step up from 5D MKII AF.

Overall image quality is about the same as the 5D MKII from ISO 100 to 1600, i.e., great! The big wow of the 6D is high ISO performance. By ISO 3200 the 6D starts to pull away from the 5D MKII and is shockingly good at ISO 6400 and 12800 with noise reduction. Beyond ISO 12800 is emergency use only for me but if I ever need to shoot at ISO 102400 that center AF point should be up to the task. I'm not an avid "shadow lifter" but the 6D is amazingly clean (less patterned artifacts) and you can bump up shadows another stop over the 5D MKII if needed.

I tried Wi-Fi via EOS Remote 1.2 for iOS and it worked well for setting exposure, AF points, EC, firing the shutter, etc. I used an iPhone 5s and iPad 2 for LiveView and could save images to my devices. The saved images are low resolution and look pixelated on an iPad. If the app was optimized for the iPad it would be useful for clients doing live proofing. There is a Droid version of EOS Remote and I hear it similar to the iOS app. Wi-Fi drains the battery fast, so have spare batteries at ready. Finally, Wi-Fi setup is needlessly complicated and far from the experience of jumping on Wi-Fi with an iPhone or PC.

GPS setup is easy: two or three menu selections, point the pentaprism at the sky and you're done. However, acquiring a GPS signal in downtown Honolulu was impossible due to tall buildings and nearby mountains. I was able to catch the signal here and there on Oahu but found GPS spotty. I had hoped GPS would bring clarity to my befuddling vacation images but I'll reserve final judgement until I get travel time in North America during the summer. For now, I disabled GPS since it shortens battery life.

The quality of the optical viewfinder is astounding. On paper the specs of 97% coverage and .71x magnification are less impressive than those of the 5D MKII/III. However, the clarity of the viewfinder is a whole level above my 5D MK II, 60D or 7D. Even with a slowish F4 zoom the focusing screen appears bright, grainless, smooth and extremely vivid. It's a real pleasure to shoot with.

Although the 6D is a prosumer camera aimed at serious hobbyists, it lacks a popup flash. I use a Speedlite 430EX II and it works great but I miss having a popup for fill flash and E-TTL trigger use. If you're looking for a small Speedlite, consider the Canon 270EX II Speedlite: it fits in a pocket, can bounce and is about twice as powerful as a popup.

Canon has been criticized as non-innovative for this amalgamation of features with little new technology. However, once I got my hands on a 6D, I found the AF and high ISO refinements and blending of the best features from several EOS cameras made it one of the most perfectly evolved cameras ever. Tried and true works for me: menus, features and controls were very familiar. I barely needed to crack the manual. I also love the small form factor combined with full frame format. It's easy on the shoulder, able to capture clean images in almost any situation and, for my needs, the ideal travel DSLR.

Jan 14, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gochugogi to your Buddy List

29 32238 Nov 7, 2015