Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR AF-S Nikkor

Focal Length: 70 - 200mm
APS Equivalent: 105 - 300mm
Max Aperture: /2.8
Min Aperture: /32
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 20 elements in 14 groups, including 3 ED elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 34.3 to 12.3 degrees
Focus Details: Autofocus with full-time manual override; MA/A switch; Silent Wave Motor; Internal focus
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotating
Closest Focus: 1.0m / 3.28 ft
Magnification Ratio: 0.274x / 1:3.65
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 178mm x 70mm / 7.0 in. x 3.1 in
Weight: 830g / 29.3 oz
Notes: VR Image Stabilization with up to 5-stops of compensation; Includes HB-60 lens hood, LC-67 lens cap and CL-1225 lens case. Optional RT-1 tripod collar available.
Typical Online Price: US$1,400 (Available Nov. 2012)

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: May 29, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp wide open at both ends of the range, excellent vr, light and small
Cons:
price is very high, feels not toughly build

Not to much to think of this lens, because it is optically and mechanically excellent, except for the price which is very high. This lens is excellent optically but feels not so rock solidly built like Canons. For this price I want bulletproof lens perhaps, but on the other hand it is small and light which is preferable.

See in more detail at:

May 29, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
dimsonation

Registered: Oct 30, 2010
Location: Israel
Review Date: Dec 13, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: sharpness, zoom range, VR, size, weight
Cons:
build quality not as good as canon counterpart

after shooting canon for 8 years, i moved over to the other side. this lens was 2nd on my shopping list after the 14-24.

after shooting with both the 70-200 f/4L IS and the 70-200 f/2.8L ISII and getting used to the L build quality i was somewhat disappointed with the nikon counterpart.

the body feels plasticky, the focus and zoom rings are not as smooth as i was used to... don't get me wrong, it's good, but doesn't give you that "bulletproof" feeling when you handle it.

optically it's great. sharpness is on par with canon which is almost legendary, and the stabilizer is even better, at least by a full stop compared to the canon i owned

size and weight is about the same as canon, which is great if you like to go light. some people complain about the lack of collar ring, well, it balances just fine on my D800, while on a tripod

Dec 13, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimsonation to your Buddy List
eduardvdk

Registered: Jun 9, 2013
Review Date: Sep 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: incredible zoom
Cons:
Weight

This is an amazing lens, I have been comparing this to the 70-200 2.8 for a long time now. Since the zoom on this lens is so much better, I love to use it during my work, it gives the images so much depth, see some examples here: http://www.bruidsfotograaf.nl

I recommend to try them both before investing, either way, it will make you very happy!

Eduard

Sep 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eduardvdk to your Buddy List
Ripolini

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 21, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: see previous post
Cons:
see previous post

UPDATE:
I've tested it against the 105 VR Micro-Nikkor.
The focusing distance was 2 m. As usual, the lens was on tripod (Gitzo with Foba ball head), I used live-view to focus accurately, and MLU.
At f/4 the 105 VR was slightly better (just); @ f/5.6 differences were very subtle. At f/8 I couldn't detect any meaningful difference. Both lenses showed even sharpness across the frame (on D700).

Apr 21, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ripolini to your Buddy List
Ripolini

Registered: Nov 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 21, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sufficiently lightweight, good image quality
Cons:
No tripod collar in the box, distortion, flare (well, I know it's a zoom with many elements and nano-coating can't do miracles).

I have read many reviews of this lens before buying it. However as I tested it, I was a little bit disappointed by its quality. Probably I was expecting too much ... IQ was 'good' but it didn't shine on my D700 (my reference for IQ is my 100/2 Zeiss). Somebody wrote in a forum that it outperforms the AF ED 180/2.8D. I'm not sure it's true ... (I can't verify because I sold my 180 to fund this zoom).
I tested it against my AF ED 200/4 Micro though; focusing distance was 3 m (i.e. 15 times the FL) and the 200 Micro won hands down: lower distortion, lower vignetting and, most important, higher sharpness with 'cleaner' details.
I've not tested it vs my 105 VR Micro yet. As I'll do, I'll let you know.
I tried it with the TC-14 E II and IQ w/open was good; a usable combo when you need more reach, definitely. VR works fine; with the 1.4X I could take sharp pictures at 1/40 s. Very useful feature.
In conclusion, a good zoom but not at the same level as a prime (at the long end). A little bit overpriced if you consider IQ. AF-S and VR are useful features, and Nikon charges you for them.

Apr 21, 2013
fletcher8969

Registered: Jan 7, 2004
Review Date: Mar 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great size, excellent IQ, VR is amazing. Stunning sharpness from f4. Reasonable price for level of quality.
Cons:
Nothing I've noticed yet.

Shooting on a D800 this is as sharp (or a smig sharper) than my Nikon 24-70 f2.8 @ f4. The VR makes the difference here I believe. On a tripod I'd say they are pretty equal at equal focal lengths and apertures. This is as sharp as my copy of the 105 f2 DC at f4 and I like the color a little better on this one.

I love this lens!

Mar 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fletcher8969 to your Buddy List
c4change

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, quiet focusing, close focusing of 0.9m, IQ. LIGHT for travel/entended use
Cons:
tripod collar not included at the price

This lens is excellent even wide open. Focusing is fast and quiet. IQ is a given. It is built very substantial without the weight of its 2.8 cousin. So, unless you need that extra stop...

Mar 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add c4change to your Buddy List
R10

Registered: Jan 4, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp throughout the frame, perfect size, very effective and silent VR, smooth zoom ring, min focus distance (and max. reprod. ratio)
Cons:
Bokeh in transition zone better than with the 2,8-VR II version, esp. around the short end (70mm), but still nervous and not quite as pleasing as with Canon's EF 4/70-200L IS; expensive tripod collar

Intro: I've used quite a few "70-200" lenses in the past 25 years. On DSLRs I used, e.g., the Leica-R 4/80-200 (5DI&II), Zeiss Contax N Vario-Sonnar 3,5-4,5/70-210 (5DII), Canon EF 4/70-200L IS (5DII), Nikon 2,8/70-200 VR II (D800). end intro

I use this f4-Nikkor on the D800 and prefer it over all the others named above.
It's as sharp as the Leica throughout the frame, with similar micro contrast, but with AF/VR/auto aperture -> more keeper...
Towards the edge/corners it is even sharper than the 2,8 VR II Nikkor (at f4) and has a more pleasing bokeh in the transition zone (like the Leica), yet not as pleasing as the EF 4/70-200L IS, esp. near the short end. It is sharper than the EF though. It features much less focus breathing than the 2,8 VR II.

I prefer the f4 over the f2.8 for versatility (weight) reasons. I perfectly know the benefits of fast lenses but this range of focal length I also use a lot when hiking/travelling. So, for me, this lens was a long awaited and welcome Nikkor.

It pairs perfectly with the TC14E II converter.

Price tag is ok but the tripod collar is a bit overpriced but, well, way better than the cheaper alternatives I've tried...

Jan 12, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add R10 to your Buddy List

Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR AF-S Nikkor