Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A1

27 38245 Feb 11, 2014
sigma35

The 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras from Sigma is the first entry into Sigma's Art series of professional lenses, with an emphasis on artistic expression and the creative potential of the lens. With a bright f/1.4 maximum aperture, floating inner focusing system, and Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) you'll have quick and accurate control over the artistic effects achieved by the lens' high quality elements. For added control, you can even adjust the lens' parameters, such as focus, and update its firmware all from home using the USB Dock and Sigma's Optimization Pro software.

• Aperture Range: f/1.4-16
• Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM)
• Floating Internal Focus System
• Minimum Focusing Distance: 11.8"
• Anti-Flare Super Multi-Layer Coating
• 9x Circular Aperture Blades

Page:  1 · 2  next

rjenson

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sigma must have discovered an alien spacecraft and reverse engineered their optic technology. Well done!
Cons:
If the weight troubles you. Get to the gym. It's worth it.

My Nikon D800e's new best friend.

Feb 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjenson to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Oct 29, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $880.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colours, bokeh, build everything is top class on this lens
Cons:

A fantastic lens for a rather low price. And one of the sharpest fast lenses when using it wide open.

Oct 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
Erik_J

Registered: Aug 31, 2013
Review Date: Oct 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp already wide open, Colours, Bokeh, A good price

An excellent 35mm lens. It's incredible Sharp already at f/1,4

Oct 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Erik_J to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Oct 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at f1.4, nice contrast from f1.4, quick and quiet focus, relatively small
Cons:
Non I can think of

This is a dream lens: sharp at f1.4 with very nice contrast and colours, which is true perhaps almost all apertures. Build quality is very nice also. Rounded aperture blades, creates nice bokeh. Chromatic aberration very low if any.

See in more detail at:

Oct 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
Phil Foster

Registered: Oct 30, 2007
Review Date: Sep 29, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp across the frame (almost) at any aperture, hard to make it flare, handles well, built well, nice clean design.
Cons:
I would say it has no weather or dust seals but I knew that before I bought it. Sigma have improved their quality control but they are still letting the odd problem lens through. This one included.

When I first saw this lens I was intrigued. I have always liked Sigma lenses, especially their primes but this one really got me interested.

I read about a dozen reviews starting with Photozone, then DXO, then Cameralabs, DPReview and so on and they all said the same thing. "It's sharp, the optics are superb, it's built well, it's designed well it looks good, Sigma have upped their game and it costs far less than most of the alternatives" and so on......

I thought that there had to be a duff review out there somewhere then I thought 'Ken Rockwell'. He won't like it at all and he didn't disappoint. He knew he'd be hard put to slate the optics so he focused ('scuse the pun) on the build. He said it was terrible consumer grade rubbish and that he wouldn't soil his camera bag with one......... Well that did it for me. I went out an bought one.

It's a lovely lens. I have 5 lenses that I use on a D800 including three fast primes. This one and the Nikons 50mm and 85mm f1.8 G lenses and I am hard put to say which one I like best. Optically it would be between this and the 85 I suppose.

It is sharp even wide open. Matt Granger said it has aberrations that softened the extreme corners and I suppose he might be right but strangely I could only detect them on the right hand side of the frame in the extreme corners at wider aperture settings. The sweet spot starts at f2.8. Chromatic abs are minimal to non existent, I love the contrast and the colours and I love the fact that you have to put effort in to make it flare. The AF is fast and accurate, the MF is smooth but with a short throw making MF a little trickier but you get used to it.

I love the way it looks, feels and handles. Materials are a mix of very high grade plastic in the barrel, the thread and the hood with metal for the focus ring and the base plus a brass mount. It is weighty, it balances well on my D800 and feels like a high end lens in your hand.

I needed to dial in a little AF fine tune on my D700 but strangely not on my D800. Dust and weather sealing would be nice but I won't mark it down for that because I knew before I bought it. If you are a jobbing pro who needs to use his/her kit in any weather then you might need the Nikon version instead but optically it won't be quite as good as this Siggy.

I have only had one issue with it but I feel it was a significant one. After a month or so the base worked loose but it never stopped working and it got sorted under warranty. I felt a bit sore and slightly out of love with it for a while as a result and I have decided that if it happens again I will fix it and sell it so I will mark it down a little on build.

Overall a cracking lens, I am starting to love it again but I am still a little cross that I had to send it in to be fixed. Well done Sigma but you still need to improve your quality control.

Sep 29, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Phil Foster to your Buddy List
Jean jacques

Registered: Dec 1, 2012
Review Date: Sep 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast sharp well built with 5DmarkIII, even wide open
Cons:
a little heavy

Sep 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jean jacques to your Buddy List
Kevin Sanders

Registered: Jun 4, 2010
Review Date: Aug 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid build. Sharp. Accurate, fast and silent AF.
Cons:
A rubber mount gasket should have been included. It couldn't be that hard to do.

Flawless performance at all apertures as far as I can tell. I was really impressed with the image quality, even wide-open.
When focussed at infinity, everything is sharp at F1.4. Everything!
This is currently the sharpest lens I own, although my recent purchase of the 18-135 STM lens from Canon gave me a shock. Lens technology is getting much, much better, and more affordable.
Sigma must be given credit for moving the bar with this 35mm gem!

Aug 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kevin Sanders to your Buddy List
Ghost

Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Posts: 2014
Review Date: Jun 19, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $869.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Fast AF. Quiet operation, Great build quality, Wonderful colours, Pleasing blur quality, cheaper than the 35L! 7-year Canadian Warranty!!!
Cons:
Bit heavy and big for a 35mm

I've been hankering for high quality 35mm lens. The 35L has been on my sights for a while until Sigma announced this new ART line of lenses. I had the 50 1.4 Sigma and it was a wonderful lens. Never had AF issues, beautiful images. Has been my work horse lens in the last little while.

Upon reading all the glowing reviews of this new ART 35mm, I was intrigued. Tried a few samples and I felt it was the right 35mm lens for me. The build quality resembles Zeiss lens. Sleek and stylish behest of gimicky finishing. AF operation is great. HSM like the high end Sigma and USM found in L lenses. Focus ring has a good positive smooth feel to it. Unlike Canon lenses. Hood is well made too. Overall this lens felt very well made.

Paired with 5d3 and the results are staggeringly sharp images. Subjects locked on quickly and quietly. In fact it went on our wedding shoot hours I got delivery of it. Didn't skip a beat. It hit the road running. It balances the 5d3 well. Although I do kinda wish it was of similar size to my Siggy 50 1.4.

Overall, this is a stunning piece of glass. Well done Sigma. One great bonus is the Canadian 7 year no fuss warranty!

Jun 19, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ghost to your Buddy List
barnwellh

Registered: Apr 26, 2013
Review Date: May 30, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $899.00

Pros: Optical Sharpness
Cons:
Bokeh is "slightly" not on parity with Sigma's competitors

Optically one of the sharpest lens I’ve ever used, next to my Canon 135mm L. The bokeh is not as "creamy" as the 35L (if that matters to you?!?). My copy had major AF issues, produced a squeaking sound during focusing and an ugly orange-brown color cast (under certain lighting conditions). Since this was first experience with Sigma, I was extremely disappointed and opted not to exchange this for another copy. If you value consistency and quality, this lens is not for you.

May 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barnwellh to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: May 12, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp, great build, silent and very fast AF
Cons:
Maybe that it is not weather-sealed, but neither is the Canon 35 L

An amazing lens, certainly the sharpest lens I have ever used. Had a Canon 35L at some point, buy was not happy with the corners. This is simply a fabulous lens, and very cheap for what it does.

May 12, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
Matthew0404

Registered: May 15, 2011
Review Date: May 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp at all apertures, great bokeh, impressive build quality
Cons:

One of, if not the, most impressive lens I've owned. Sharpness wide open at f1.4 is unrivaled. Autofocus is fast, silent, and, most importantly, accurate. Build quality is great. The lens has a good weight to it and feels solid in the hand. No need to spend more money on the Nikon or Canon counterparts, the Sigma is a winner in all aspects.

May 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Matthew0404 to your Buddy List
vbourrut

Registered: Oct 13, 2005
Review Date: May 4, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp even at full aperture, focus is fast and accurate , beautiful bokeh, much cheaper than the Canon 35L !
Cons:
I had to play a bit with the micro-adjustment feature of my 5D Mark III in order for the focus to be perfect.

I owned a canon 35L a few years ago, it was very soft at full aperture, and not so much better than my canon EF 17-40 @5.6 The focus was not accurate and a lot of pictures was out of focus, even at smaller apertures. Hence, I sold it a few month latter...
I was waiting for the 35L II, but I heard about this Sigma, and decided to give it a chance ! I've owned the sigma for a week now, and I can say that it is much, much better on every aspect than the canon I had !

I posted some full screen sample @ f1.4 taken with my 5D Mark III on my blog :

May 4, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vbourrut to your Buddy List
davidsee

Registered: Apr 28, 2013
Review Date: May 3, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.95 | Rating: 9

Pros: Not as fast at af as the 35 l at focusing but it locks on better. Is quite a bit sharper then the 35 L wide open that is.
Cons:

this lens shocked me it was so much better then my 35 L so I kept it. Much sharper wide open slightly slower af but it locks on better then the 35 L My second sigma but the first I liked the 120-300 2.8 was a dog. I had the original

May 3, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidsee to your Buddy List
Rob Ernsting

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Review Date: Apr 4, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast focus, bokeh, extreme image quality even wide open. Fun to work with, solid mecahnical performance
Cons:
None found after 4 weeks of usage. Someone mentioned hunting; that can happen with any fast lens in low light or extreme low contrast. I found nothing of the kind, just perfect focusing in AI servo.

Astounding image quality in the corners even at f 1.4 on a Canon EOS 5D mark III full frame. It is the best lens I ever acquired. For the record I have several Canon L lenses including T/S 24mm L to compare with. Amazing fast focus, ease of use and a pleasure to use with f 1.4 to f 3.5 for the selective focus and bokeh.
The points mentioned earlier by others like vignet are common for fast lenses. Using DXO or LR4 will allow for automatic lens and vignet correction. Compared to Canon or Carl Zeiss it is a bargain price and provides better performance than the competitors as shown in several tests.
I have been pondering to either buy the Canon 35mm f/2 IS or this Sigma 35 mm. I am glad I chose the latter.
Admittedly I was apprehensive about buying a Sigma but I am overwhelmed by the image quality and the overall mechanical perfection of the Sigma 35mm lens. Almost every shot is technically a keeper.
A slight autofocus micro adjustment on short focus distance was necessary.

Apr 4, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob Ernsting to your Buddy List
3cameradog

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Mar 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality is excellent. Build is solid.
Cons:
AF tends to hunt wide open in low light, but focusing is fast and silent.

Without a doubt, the sharpest lens I own, or have ever owned. The lens set a new bench mark with DxO lens testing with no other lens coming close. Sigma has set a new standard for better quality at a comparatively lower price. I am in awe.

Mar 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 3cameradog to your Buddy List
fsiagian

Registered: May 23, 2009
Review Date: Mar 20, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, well built
Cons:

Excellent lens. Very sharp and well built. AF is fast. I like the rendering and for a lot less than the main brands, it's a no brainer.

Mar 20, 2013