Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS

11 27372 Nov 21, 2014
24-70

The EF 24-70mm f/4.0L IS USM Standard Zoom Lens from Canon is optimized for full-frame 35mm sensors, and another entry into Canon's high quality L-series of lenses. It has two Super Ultra-low Dispersion (Super UD) and two standard UD lens elements working together to minimize chromatic aberrations, and reduce color blurring around the edges of your subject. Its two types of aspherical elements combine to help reduce spherical aberration over the entire image area and the full zoom range. Optimized lens coatings help ensure exceptional color rendering while minimizing ghosting.

• Aperture Range: f/4.0-22
• Hybrid Image Stabilization (IS)
• Dual UD & Super UD Lens Elements
• Dual Aspherical Lens Elements
• Ring-Type Ultra Sonic Motor (USM)
• Minimum Focusing Distance: 1.25'
• Macro Mode With 0.7x Magnification
• Weather Resistant to Dust & Moisture
• Fluorine Coatings Reduce Fingerprints
• Zoom Lock Lever

mediluz1

Registered: Nov 21, 2014
Review Date: Nov 21, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Soundness of building, overall good optical quality
Cons:
None, as long as prime lenses performances are not required

I’ve got this lens to improve some floppiness of my 9 yr. old 24-105, as summarized by its lens dangling down to tele position, and the underexposure I had in my copy besides vignetting.
I did a hundred shots or so to test my new lens, and although I didn’t yet used it all around, I could appreciate some relevant features.
It is very well built and gives a feeling of precision and soundness.
It matches well the 5D body e fits my hand as well.
The 24-105 distortion was something I could live with, but its reduction in the 24-70 is immediately perceivable, both at 24 and 70 mm.
Resolution is not dramatically different at center, but more uniform across the whole image at any focal length.
CA control, on the contrary, is much much better.
Vignetting is very evident at f4, only the center of a white ceiling remains white, but is less than the 24-105 and closing just one stop significantly ameliorates.
Autofocus is fast and accurate: I saw no difference as compared to manual focusing with e-live at 10x magnification.
Incidentally, I observed no focus shift, even shooting at less than 1 meter small written words on a flat surface.
I had the felling IS doesn’t really work down to the declared 4 stops, I would say 2.5, but maybe is just my hand becoming sometimes insecure..
So, overall, I’m very happy so far with this lens. Maybe just because the 24-105 really has had its day and I hadn’t the high expectations as for the top L prime lenses.
Of course, the 24-70 can’t return the image quality given by the 200/f2, nor the uniformity of the 85/f1.8 or 35/f1.4 stopped down a bit.
I must in any case honor my 24-105 , that had been the only possible, and overall faithful, choice to me when walking around for a whole day and I could also sell it for good money . But this 24-70 undoubtedly surpasses it.

Nov 21, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mediluz1 to your Buddy List
Ralph Wagner

Registered: Feb 10, 2002
Review Date: Jun 22, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $990.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built, nice size for carry about, image quality, filter size.
Cons:

All the nice features of an "L" lens, build, image quality, and great focusing. Nice compact size relatively speaking, and convenient filter size. My copy does not show neither of the earlier problems (focus shift and soft images at 50mm)

Jun 22, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Wagner to your Buddy List
tdarnall

Registered: Aug 13, 2003
Review Date: Mar 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Surprisingly sharp, even at corners. Relatively light and compact. Very good IS. Zoom lock an advantage over 24-105. Better optically than 24-105. Very good feel mechanically.
Cons:
A bit pricey, but at current discounts not a bad value for good glass. Canon's lens hoods could be sturdier; they seem a bit flimsy.

I must have a very good copy of this lens, as the extreme corner performance on my 5D III is very impressive when stopped down a few clicks. Even wide open the lens does very well. My only qualification here is that so far, most of my tests so far have been within the 24-50 range. The macro feature is quite good considering that this is more of a general purpose "normal" zoom. The locking feature is a big plus compared with my 24-105. A great walk-around lens on a full-frame body. Highly recommend it. If you can get a local dealer to let you have 2-3 copies initially and then test them and keep one that is best, as always.

Mar 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tdarnall to your Buddy List
Carles77

Registered: Sep 19, 2012
Review Date: Feb 18, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: small, light, practical, good IS, useful all the range
Cons:
price price price, makes all but nothing good (like most of the zooms)

I don't like zoom lens but this is really useful if you don't want to change lens and keep it light when you travel. Lens are really similar in IQ than the 24-105mm and the price difference dont' make it worth to go with this lens if you don't mind about the weight and size. For me weight and size are important so this lens are better option than the 24-105mm.

Macro mode is really ugly....

Feb 18, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Carles77 to your Buddy List
Doug Vann

Registered: Dec 18, 2004
Review Date: Nov 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Useable macro in a zoom lens, sharpness, excellent IS, great wedding/family zoom range.
Cons:
None that I can find after 2 months of use.

Have got some outstanding sharp photos from this lens. Even seems sharper then the 24-105 L that I used to have. Works so nice on my Canon 6D. The zoom range is just perfect on a full frame camera for walk around shots at a wedding or family function. I have also used it on my tripod with ND filter for flowing water shots - so nice. Also nice on landscapes - however when it comes to wildlife I generally use my 70-200f2.8 L IS II lens because of the further zoom reach. I highly recommend this lens and a perfect companion to the 70-200.

Nov 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Doug Vann to your Buddy List
Kris Reiswig

Registered: Jan 13, 2007
Review Date: Nov 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, color, super IS and semi-macro mode
Cons:

A very nice step up for a travel all-in-one lens from the 24-105. Super macro mode!! Very satisfied with the photos.

Nov 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kris Reiswig to your Buddy List
JORDI350D

Registered: Dec 7, 2005
Review Date: Oct 27, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, macro mode, IS, size, AF.
Cons:

This is the perfect lens when you need something ligth and you need or want also the best quality as posible. With the Canon 6d is a very good combo capable of delivering great images in a comptact equipment.

With Canon 1d4 results are great in macro and AF and it delivers also great results.

Macro function is very interesting but you need to invest some time in order to get the best results.

Oct 27, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JORDI350D to your Buddy List
jonorees

Registered: Jun 26, 2012
Review Date: May 8, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight & size, IS very good optically, filter sizing & don't forget the lens caps...
Cons:

Often compared with the 24-105 and I guess purely from the numbers, zoom range and aperture.

My copy of the 24-105 had pretty bad CA which was especially noticeable when shooting into sunsets and the corner quality was really shown up on my full frame.

The the question for me was really to go for the 24-70 2.8, 4 canons or to go for the Tamron.

The Tamron I tested in store had major C.A which left the two canons.

I went for the f4 mainly because I don't need the 2.8 on a standard zoom and because I already have the 50L I thought that the would settle for the zoom rather than switching over.

The f4 is close to the perfect all round lens, weight & size, zoom range, IS and for those who want a part time Macro lens.

Images are sharp the auto focus is quick, though captures these have mainly been landscapes and I have yet to test it out on moving subjects or people.

This is is definitely coming with me on my 6 week trip to India, Nepal and Tibet later this year.

May 8, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonorees to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Apr 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact size, built, macro function, overall image quality
Cons:
None I have found so far, maybe price.

Got one of the first of these, and have used it on expeditions to Bolivia and Madagascar so far. This is really a compact lens that is easy to carry around in rough terrain, pretty light, and the built is great, weather- sealing works very well. For a me as a botanist the macro function is a plus. I don't do and lab tests w/lenses, so I can comment only on field experience. Image quality is very good, and yes, there is some focus creep, but that has never been an issue in real life for me.

Apr 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
Alb. de Wilde

Registered: Mar 31, 2007
Review Date: Apr 1, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Average good results, well build, smooth use of rings to focus.
Cons:
Severe obtical faults.

Most reviews of the Canon Canon 24-70mm f/4 L IS lens are not complete and much to positive.
This lens suffers from a severe obtical problem.
When (with manual focus) stopping down, the point of focus shifts backwards, see file below.
So, if you use a tripod and try to make a portrait you need to focus again when stopping up or down.
Also on full frame and wide angle there's very much vigniting from f4 - f8.
I hadn't expected this problem in such a costly lens. Not a lens for canon to be proud of.

Apr 1, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Alb. de Wilde to your Buddy List
twistedlim

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp throughout the range. Compact. Uses 77mm filters. USM and IS.
Cons:
None within the paremeters of the lens. Priced high but then again this is Canon.

Purhased to replace my 24-70 2.8 MK1. My 2.8 is one of the good ones, very sharp from 2.8 out. Problem is it is so heavy I tend not to have it in the bag. 4.0 is really fine for me. 2.8 is not fast enough to leave the flash at home so the stop I am giving up does not mean that much.
I found the lens to be sharp at 4.0 and only slightly better at f8. The extreme right edge and bottom left corner have only the slightest softness which is much better than the 17-40, and 24-105 I have used. All and all a fine lens which will be nice to have in the bag for travel and paired with a flash a good event lens.

Jan 14, 2013