Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS

24 62320 Jun 28, 2017
35f2is

The EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM Standard Prime Lens from Canon adds hybrid Image Stabilization (IS) to a rear focusing system and ring-type Ultra Sonic Motor (USM) for not only quick and quiet autofocus, but steadier shots in low-light conditions. Optimized lens coatings help ensure exceptional color balance while minimizing ghosting, and full-time access to manual focus is provided while in autofocus (AF) mode allowing you to quickly switch between the two as you need them.

• Aperture Range: f/2.0-22
• 4-stop Image Stabilization (IS)
• Glass Molded Aspherical Element (GMo)
• Rear Focusing & Ultra Sonic Motor (USM)
• Full-Time Manual Focus in AF Mode
• Minimum Focusing Distance: 9.48"
• Ring USM Low-Speed Drive for Video
• Eight Circular Aperture Blades

Page:  1 · 2  next

rek101

Registered: Dec 15, 2016
Review Date: Jun 28, 2017 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Very sharp...especially from F/2.8 on, IS does help...makes it a more reliable lens than any other prime I've used if you need sharp images. It's also lightweight.
Cons:
Much lower contrast than f/1.4L version 1. Contrast is no different than than than the 100 40mm pancake to my eye. Very bulky...attracts as much attention as a pro lens. IS gives you only 1 to 2 stops. Expensive, even when it's on sale refurbished for 430.

I'm not quite sure why people rate this lens so highly on this site. On amazon it rates pretty average for a Canon prime. I really love the 35mm focal length and I hate the weight of the 1.4L.

I think the 35mm L v1 lens is good lens, but I don't think it comes close to the quality of Canon's L telephoto lenses like the 70 to 200 F/4 or F/2.8 IS. I think Canon struggles with making reasonably priced wide angle lenses and this IS lens is a good example. I tried the 35mm f/2 non-IS and it's washed out and nothing special. I also have the 40mm pancake and to me, that lens is very similar to this one....very sharp with very little contrast. That's great if if you like examining eyelashes at 1:1, but the overall look is very flat. For example, you could take two picture of the same face with this IS lens and the f/1.4 L v1 and the L lens will show how deep the wrinkles actually are while this lens will show what look like cracks of unknown depth. To me, skin with this lens looks waxy compared to the L lens and when I print the photos from the IS version, the images look lifeless and flat compared to the L lens. For $300 more, you could get a quality used 1.4L and a lot of pop to your images. Or to save money, get the pancake or the old f/2 lens without IS..it's worse, but not by much and it's much more compact.

For what it's worth, I had a Nikon F/2 35mm lens that was a pretty old design and the contrast on that 300 dollar lens to me looked a lot better than any of the Canon f/2 lenses.

Jun 28, 2017
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rek101 to your Buddy List
peterstrong

Registered: Dec 21, 2016
Review Date: Dec 21, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent Build, optics near perfect, IS is usefull on a prime! Works great on a Full Frame body.
Cons:

My initial shots are beyond expected. I am not used to a keepable photo rate like this lens delivers. It does even better than my original 24L mark 1! I am blown away by the sharpness of this lens on my full frame body. Tried it in all shooting conditions and it has perfomed nicely.

Dec 21, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add peterstrong to your Buddy List
pavlos.yatagan

Registered: Aug 12, 2016
Location: Greece
Review Date: Aug 12, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well made, excellent picture quality even at F2, helpful IS, feels great with 5D Mark III, a perfect lens to carry on every day for street photography or other work
Cons:
Lens hood should to be bought separately

Bought few days ago. I wanted a light all-around lens to carry on with my 5D Mark III. It covers the most of my street photography needs, giving great performance even at F2. Even nice for portraits at open aperture with smooth bokeh. IS really works with one defect: kind of awkward blur at picture edges.

Aug 12, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pavlos.yatagan to your Buddy List
Christopher-J

Registered: Jun 9, 2006
Review Date: Oct 31, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $460.00 | Rating: 9

Cons:
Doesn't include hood. Canon needs to stop being so cheap.

I was looking to buy a 24L or 35L but then heard about this lens. I checked out reviews all over the net, including here. Was impressed with what people had to say. Including the optics are near L quality. So I found a mint condition used version of this lens for $460 CAD.

Perhaps the best "Bargain" Canon has. It might be near $600 USD and some may compare it to the 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8 but honestly this lens is beyond those which I also own. This is truly a near L quality lens in all ways. Even the build is respectable.

Down side. As with all non-L lenses Canon cheaps out and makes you buy a lens hood should you want one. Which is too bad. Other thean that no complaints.

Oct 31, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Christopher-J to your Buddy List
sing4u

Registered: Jul 11, 2003
Review Date: Oct 31, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IS, Image Quality, Build
Cons:
Camera Hood Not Included, Size

I had the original 35 2.0 for years. It was one of my favorites lens. On short trips, I often only take my 5D3, the 85 1.8, 35 2.0 and flash. All in a small Lowepro bag that has a flap over the top, but does not zip or close completely. On a trip, I had put the bag in the airplane overhead bin. When we arrived at our hotel, I found the 35 2.0 was missing. Apparently it had fallen out in the overhead bin. I tried to track it down with the airline with no luck. So, one of the main things I loved about the original 35 2.0, the size, was the reason I lost it.

On the positive side, it gave me an excuse to buy the 35 2.0 IS. The first thing that struck me when I received it was how much larger it is than the original 35 2.0. In everyday shooting, there may be a marginal increase in image quality. The IS is nice. Overall, I am very happy with the lens, but, I was also very happy with the old one.

I still often travel with just the 35 and 85 using the same Lowepro bag. With the larger size of the new 35, I am not afraid of it falling out of the bag. It is a very nice lens, a bit pricey in my opinion.

Oct 31, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sing4u to your Buddy List
lgyomrey

Registered: Mar 4, 2015
Review Date: Mar 4, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High resolving power, Fantastic image quality, excellent build quality, very portable
Cons:

I have my roots on prime lenses, with time on becomes too used to zooms, I did. Recently I was looking at what are the best prime lenses for the Canon 6D, by best I was looking at resolving power. My normal zooms could resolve between 11MP to 14MP out of 20MP that the camera has. Surprisingly, the first two lenses in the DXO list came from the new Sigma Art lenses. The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art could resolve 18MP on a 6D, I believe the fourth lens was the Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM. This lens also resolves 18MP on the 6d but it is not a f1.4 lens.

I went to my photo store and checked both. I was willing to pay the $900 for the Sigma but after carefully comparing bokeh which is important for me I found this to be much better with the Canon.

After I bought the Canon 35 f/2 IS USM and shooting anywhere between f/2 and f/5.6 I found my images with a detail I've never seen before from this camera. Is like I've upgraded the camera from 13MP to a camera of 18MP, quite a difference. Colors are very contrasty too. IS is awesome.

What to say, I just sold my normal zoom L lens.

Mar 4, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lgyomrey to your Buddy List
Caleb Keiter

Registered: Jul 5, 2007
Review Date: Nov 8, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, lightweight, impressive image stabilization
Cons:
No weather sealing, doesn't include a lens hood.

I recently purchased this lens and decided to spend a lot of time with it to learn it - 35 days in fact.

I've shared my "35 Days of 35mm" article on my site. http://bit.ly/1slyjMO

This lens has completely blown me away. The $550 price tag on this lens makes it an absolute steal. I would not hesitate to recommend this lens to any Canon user.

Nov 8, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Caleb Keiter to your Buddy List
ruicarv79

Registered: Sep 8, 2014
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Sep 8, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, compact, IS, close focus ability and... fantastic image quality!
Cons:
It's not f/1.4. :) NOTE: No lens wood is provided with the lens.

This lens is glued to my Canon 6D. I love the 35mm on FF and I'm in love with this lens. It really delivers great image quality. I have no problems shooting with it right from maximum aperture (you will have some visible vigneting but I kind of like it). At around f/4 this lens reaches perfection!
The IS works very well and the focus is fast and so accurate!
The bokeh is very nice also (much better than the old version).
As it is lighter, smaller and cheaper than the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 I ended up going for it. I do not regret my decision, I have zero complaints!
The only downfall is that it is not f/1.4.... Smile

You can find my personal review of it here:

Sep 8, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ruicarv79 to your Buddy List
artyH

Registered: May 29, 2011
Review Date: Aug 16, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $549.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, contrast and resistance to flare. Flare was a real weakness of the old 35F2. The AF is very fast and accurate. If you can see it, you should be able to photograph it with this lens.
Cons:

This is a fine lens, and is sharp corner to corner on my 60D. It is very flare resistant, even if you have to shoot towards the light. It is very sharp, as was the older version. It has become my favorite lens, with minimal optical flaws. While there are times when you can get some color distortion shooting onto the light with high contrast, the corrections are good. I find the out of focus blur is pretty smooth.

Aug 16, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add artyH to your Buddy List
dinkar

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Review Date: Aug 13, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, excellent colors. IS works very well
Cons:

This is a very sharp, quick focusing lens. Paired with a full frame camera you can shoot in virtual darkness with very good results. This has become my standard lens on a 6D, replacing the 24-105 kit lens. Subject isolation is not as dramatic as it would be with say a f1.4 lens, but you know that going in. If subject isolation is what you are looking for, the 35mm f1.4 is probably the lens for you. However if you are looking for a sharp, low light capable walk around this is a fantastic choice.

Aug 13, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dinkar to your Buddy List
grueber34

Registered: Jan 10, 2011
Review Date: Jul 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:
Nothing

This thing performs like the best of Canon's L-series. Gorgeous images wide-open and the IS is flawless.

Jul 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add grueber34 to your Buddy List
DLP

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Review Date: Jul 15, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, Lightweight, Sharp, Color rendition
Cons:
Hood is expensive and hard to find

This has become my standard lens on a 5DMKIII. Fast glass that won't break the bank and combined with the ISO capability of the MKIII it makes a killer combination.
Sure the Bokeh could be better but then again you could spend $1,000 more and still be saying the same thing.
A piece of glass that's just a pure joy to use.

Jul 15, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DLP to your Buddy List
pifatore

Registered: Jul 13, 2008
Review Date: Jun 10, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Reasonably well built. Is. Good colors (better than the non-is). Quieter af and usable mf ring. Bokeh quality is a bit better for my taste, but ther΄s not a huge difference. (compared to old version)
Cons:
Not huge difference in image quality overall compared to old version. Field curvature phenomenon that was not present in the older 35. Qc issues.

I passed through 4 copies from different retailers before finding one that worked fair enough, and even this one is not stellar at all.

First copy didn΄t focus at infinity (from 20 m. onwards).
Second one frontfocused at almost every focusing distance.
Third one backfocused and had notable decentering.
The last one΄s resolution was not as high as the others.

To sum up I have to firmly manifest my disappointment about canon quality control. I have owned many canon and third party lenses, and I do own the older 35 model and have to say that only a try was needed to find a copy that worked properly. That was some years ago. Nowadays it seems to be difficult to find a good one.

Jun 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pifatore to your Buddy List
Robin Smith

Registered: Dec 19, 2012
Review Date: Mar 25, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic image quality, IS
Cons:
None really, although as usual with the non Ls you have to buy the expensive ($50+) hood (which I found hard to find)

I sold my 35L and got this instead. The 35L is a superb lens with lots of character, but after 4 years with it I got the 35/IS because of its much smaller size and weight. The 35L is a large lens and, after a while, this becomes wearing as the number of shots I took at f1.4 are a small percentage of the total, so I was carrying the extra bulk to little advantage. To me, for a 35mm, f2 is plenty fast enough.

It has great build quality and imagery is as good as it gets - to my eyes superior to the 35L at f2 and then there is IS on top. It's not a small lens but not large either. AF is accurate all the time - probably not something you can say about the Sigma 35/1.4 (as good as it is). If you want a big, "prestige" optic you can brag about to your friends then this lens won't do it, but if you just want to take great 35mm shots with an equivalent light gathering power of an f1 lens or so, together with excellent performance, then this is the lens for you.

Mar 25, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Robin Smith to your Buddy List
Shield

Registered: Aug 29, 2011
Review Date: Feb 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, sharp even wide open, fast to focus, built in IS is a treat for video and static handheld shots in poor light.
Cons:
Vignettes quite a bit wide open. Not F/1.4.

Great lens; don't leave home without it!

Feb 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Shield to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Dec 19, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $520.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, f/2, sharpness, contrast, light weight, beautiful bokeh
Cons:
strong vignetting

This is a great little lens. I settled with this over the 35L and sigma f/1.4 because of IS and the light weight. I am willing to tradeoff 1 stop at this aperture & FL (e.g. won't do it at f/2.8 or at 50mm) with IS.

The pictures are very sharp, color rendition is extremely good; comparable to my 24-70II. This is a L quality lens w/o the L build and sealing.

The bokeh is excellent with the 8-blade, better than the old (5-blade) and even the 35L IMO. The 35L has busy bokeh while the 35f/2 is smooth.

The main issue is vignetting, it is very noticeable. I usually overexpose about 2/3 stop in order to cut down the darkness around the corner and fix overall exposure in PP.

Dec 19, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS