Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
APS Equivalent: 38 - 112mm
Max Aperture: ƒ/2.8
Min Aperture: ƒ/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups, including 1 Super UD and 2 UD elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 84 to 34 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotating, with zoom lock lever
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 1.25 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.21x / 1:4.76 (at 70mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 113mm x 88.5mm / 4.4 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 805g / 28.4 oz
Notes: Weather sealing protects against dust and moisture, while a fluorine-coated front and rear elements are easy to clean.
Online Price: US$2,300

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

yokwe

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,400.00

Pros: Fit and finish. Light.
Cons:
COST!!! 82mm filter size. Too light. Plastic. Sharpness.

The old version of this lens is my workhorse. 80% of my work is shot with the version I. After 7 years and 500,000+ images taken with it I thought it'd be a good idea to update. I recently updated my 70-200mm to the version II and was blown away by how much sharper that lens was to my IS version I. With the 24-70mm update I was hopeful for a similar giant leap in sharpness. I was disappointed. I did a tests through the max, middle, and minimum apertures and zoom. I did a side by side comparison with identical images from the vI and vII and asked people to pick the sharper image. It was inconclusive. After spending $2400 I was hoping for better. The CA looked slightly improved. (slightly!)

As a professional with assistants I could care less about the weight of a lens. I actually prefer heavy (steadies the caffeine shakes:) But, if you are a PJ or a hiker on the go it's light weight and shorter length is a plus.

Build quality is good, but has more plastic than the old one. I'm very grumpy about the move to the 82mm front end.

I realize this is pointless to say, but the new lens hood looks wimpy and dumb. People were always impressed with the looks of the old one:)

If your a budget minded hobbyist I'd skip this lens and try to find a low mileage vI. For rich guys and pros buy it, but don't expect to be blown away. I'm only keeping mine cause my vI 's barrel is wearing out.

Sep 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add yokwe to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Sep 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nitidez, velocidad de enfoque, sistema fijación parasol, bloqueo del zoom, calidad de construcción, peso y tamaño. Sharpness, focus speed, fixing visor system, zoom lock, build quality, weight and size.
Cons:
Precio, no tiene IS, filtro de 82mm. Price, no IS, 82mm filter.

Tan sólo dos días de pruebas no dan para mucho, pero es tanta la expectación por este objetivo, que he querido, decir ya algo.

El Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L MkII, según dicen, el objetivo más nitido que ha hecho Canon en toda su historia, superando en nitidez al mítico Canon 24mm TS-E y al no menos mítico 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII, es decir no hay lente Canon ni zoom ni fija que tenga una mayor nitidez. Con la Canon 1D X forman una pareja maravillosa. Al tocarlo, transmite calidad y es muy robusto, se ve muy bien construido. Pequeños detalles como el bloqueo del zoom o el botón de bloqueo del parasol, hacen la vida más fácil y agradable.
Os pongo el enlace a una de mis primeras fotos, con esta maravillosa lente:

Saludos a todos.

Just two days of tests not go far, but it's so much anticipation for this purpose, which I wanted, and say something.

The Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L MkII, they say, the sharpest lens Canon has made in its history, surpassing the legendary sharpness Canon 24mm TS-E and the equally mythical 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII, ie there is no zoom Canon lens that has a fixed or clarity. With the Canon 1D X are a wonderful couple. When touched, transmits quality and is very sturdy, looks very well built. Small details like the zoom lock or lock button hood, make life easier and more enjoyable.
I put the link to one of my first photos with this wonderful lens:

Greetings all.

Sep 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM