Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
APS Equivalent: 38 - 112mm
Max Aperture: ƒ/2.8
Min Aperture: ƒ/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups, including 1 Super UD and 2 UD elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 84 to 34 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotating, with zoom lock lever
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 1.25 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.21x / 1:4.76 (at 70mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 113mm x 88.5mm / 4.4 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 805g / 28.4 oz
Notes: Weather sealing protects against dust and moisture, while a fluorine-coated front and rear elements are easy to clean.
Online Price: US$2,300

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

kaycephoto

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Review Date: Nov 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything that matters to me - amazing F/2.8 sharpness throughout the focal range, much improved colours & microcontrast relative to the previous 24-70mkI, impressive AF reliability & speed (really jumps to focus & is really consistent on the 1Ds3 - basically never misses on the 1DX), better build quality & balance, reduced weight/size
Cons:
Price - while the improved performance/image quality of the mkII lens is worth the price of admission to me (an event/wedding shooter - especially after my CPS discount), I know a lot of pros/hobbyists alike will be left wondering where the inclusion of IS went given its $2,499 price..

While covering the same focal range at the same constant f/2.8 aperture as the original EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II has a completely re-worked design. Boasting a larger filter thread (82mm compared to 77mm – which theoretically allows more light into the lens) & different new lens elements, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II lens is noticeably faster to focus & much sharper throughout the focusing range.

Photos from the new lens also showcase a level of micro-contrast & colour richness normally only found in Canon’s best large-aperture primes such as the EF 24mm f/1.4L Mark II & the EF 35mm f/1.4L. Both flare control & bokeh from the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II is also incredibly impressive (you’ll see the pleasing tonal transitions in the samples at the site - link below), given the new lens’ updated coatings & 9 rounded aperture blades respectively.

My primary complaint of the original 24-70L was that the images were usually very clinical/flat & lifeless, while altogether lacking the critical sharpness I’m accustomed to attaining with my primes. I basically never found the original 24-70L to be sufficient for my standards, despite liking the convenience of a 24mm to 70mm zoom lens for both event coverage applications & in-studio shooting. Not surprisingly, the Canon’s new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II blows the original 24-70L out of the water in every which way with regards to both image quality & AF performance.

What was surprising to me, however, was the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II’s image quality relative to notable super-primes like the Canon’s famed 35L & 24LmkII lenses. While the zoom obviously lacks the large-aperture flexibility of the f/1.4 primes, the convenience of a quality close-range zoom can outweigh the luxury of using multiple, faster primes in many situations. (A lot of times during an event coverage assignment or wedding, it simply doesn’t make sense to waste 30 seconds to a minute to swap lenses.)

Wide open at f/2.8, the new 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II is an absolute engineering marvel: the capable zoom produces results that rival & nearly supersede the 24LmkII & 35L prime lenses at the same apertures in terms of sharpness, colour & contrast. Within a week or two of owning the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II, I made the decision to sell both of my beloved 24LmkII & 35L primes – the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II is simply that good & I haven’t missed either of my wide-angle L primes at all. Going forward, I have no doubt that the 24-70mm f/2.8L Mark II will become my primary workhorse lens in most paid assignment situations. (In the sample photos shot at f/2.8 you'll see there’s basically no chromatic aberration or purple/green fringing.)

For Sample Photos from the 24-70mkII & more of my thoughts on Canon's EF 24-70mkII, please read the full review at: http://www.kaycephotography.com/blog-entries/canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8l-mark-ii-review/

Nov 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kaycephoto to your Buddy List
jakontil

Registered: Nov 13, 2012
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Nov 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sturdy, well built, fast AF, size and weights
Cons:
Expensive

Coming on to this lens, i was prepared to lose my 24-105 to make room and funds, but surprisingly, for my style usage, i was able to give up my 24 1.4II and 35 1.4L further

Nov 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jakontil to your Buddy List
MartyC

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Nov 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp edge to edge on full frame,
Cons:
none so far

Using this lens in the Great Smoky Mtn for a week confirmed that my initial tests were accurate and just how sharp this lens is. I decided to sell my Canon 24L 1.4 II and my Canon 35L 1.4 (which are both good lens). I expected this lens to be a little soft at 60-70mm based on some reports, but found it to be a little sharper than my Canon 70-200L 2.8 II at 70mm, which I had been very impressed with. I printed 4 photos 24X36 just to confirm the edge to edge sharpness.

Nov 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add MartyC to your Buddy List
clifton425

Registered: Oct 21, 2012
Review Date: Oct 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Sharp, SHARP! Very fast and accurate focus.
Cons:
Expensive

This is my second copy of the lens. I purchased locally when I read that some samples had problems and was glad I did as the first copy was decidedly soft on the entire left edge from top to bottom. The second copy is extremely sharp over the entire frame wide open and improves only very slightly when stopped down.

After performing a microfocus adjustment, part of my resolution tests were to check for focus slop by alternately starting the autofocus from the near limit, then the far limit, etc. There was no focus slop at all, the results were identical

I'm not a working pro and take very good care of my equipment, so I am not at all concerned that some plastics are used in the construction of the lens, although the plastic filter threads may need some care. But the plastic threads could be a positive for filter use as they may be less prone to seizing if a filter is over tightened. Brass filter threads are of course ideal, but most filters have aluminum threads.

I like the locking of the lens hood with the latch button, a very nice improvement.

Oct 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add clifton425 to your Buddy List
Lan11

Registered: Apr 8, 2012
Review Date: Oct 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Reduced size and weight, build, lens shade lock and outstanding optics.
Cons:
The lens cup. A true gear collector’s delight. Now only available from Canon : -(

A remarkable lens with performance above many best Canon and Zeiss primes. At this price a true bargain. But the lens cup Canon. What happened to the lens cup! As they say: “The devil is in details”.

Oct 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lan11 to your Buddy List
ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Oct 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Top notch image quality
Cons:
Price - but in this case you get what you pay for.

I'm currently renting this lens and several others for another round of testing ahead of my next purchase. On my 5Ds the IQ is very strong and very, very close to the performance of my 35mm f2 Zeiss ZE and the 25mm f2 Zeiss ZE that I'm also renting. I'll probably stick with the Zeiss lenses, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this lens for the most critical users. Ben Egbert has a link to his review below and I agree with his findings.

Oct 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List
anil007

Registered: Jan 19, 2012
Review Date: Oct 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper then ver 1 at three points 24/50/70mm I tested. Color seems a little more pleasing then the ver 1. Distortion seems to be less compared to ver 1.
Cons:
Plastic construction.

I haven't done lot of testing yet, just some shot inside house and yard. I will update my review once I test it some more.

Oct 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add anil007 to your Buddy List
ben egbert

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Pros. Well made, very sharp in prime territory.
Cons:
Cons: Expensive, distortion, vignetting.

I just finished my test of the 24-70 f2.8 mk2. It is a landscape oriented test with 100% corner crop comparisons with the 24TSEmk2, 35f1.4L Ziess 50 f1.4 and the 70-200 f2,8IS V1.
At the end there is a link to my SmugMug gallery that has some full size jpgs.

Take a look, leave a comment.

Oct 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ben egbert to your Buddy List
hagejsh

Registered: Jan 23, 2011
Review Date: Oct 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It is 20% lighter than the EF 20-70 f2.8 I USM. The sharpeness is clearly superior to the Model I version. I evaluated this lens over 3 days with over 600 shots. The previous reviewer brought trepidation to my decision to purchase. Initially I planned to trade in the old version. After the previous review I kept version I, which has been a great workhorse for me over the last 7 years. It will be added to my 5D Mk II as a permanent camera in my vehicle to use for unexpected opportunities. I have the new lens on my 5D MK III. It is a sweet piece of glass with excellent sharpness and excellent Brokah. I am very happy with the quality of the photos. It is weather protected. I personally feel the lighter weight makes this a great balance with my 5D Mk III. No " jitter shake" as reported by the previous observer. In fact, I am able to use the camera and lens combo with one hand.
Cons:
The front element for attaching filters is made of plastic. The filter size is 82mm-- not a big deal--just an adjustment. Since I already have an 82 mm for my 16-35mm Mk II it was not an extra expense. Of interest is that when you zoom higher, the front element moves out from the camera. With the old EF 24-70 EF 2.8 USM the lens retracted when zooming higher. The lens hood may give more coverage under the old system.

Oct 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hagejsh to your Buddy List
yokwe

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,400.00

Pros: Fit and finish. Light.
Cons:
COST!!! 82mm filter size. Too light. Plastic. Sharpness.

The old version of this lens is my workhorse. 80% of my work is shot with the version I. After 7 years and 500,000+ images taken with it I thought it'd be a good idea to update. I recently updated my 70-200mm to the version II and was blown away by how much sharper that lens was to my IS version I. With the 24-70mm update I was hopeful for a similar giant leap in sharpness. I was disappointed. I did a tests through the max, middle, and minimum apertures and zoom. I did a side by side comparison with identical images from the vI and vII and asked people to pick the sharper image. It was inconclusive. After spending $2400 I was hoping for better. The CA looked slightly improved. (slightly!)

As a professional with assistants I could care less about the weight of a lens. I actually prefer heavy (steadies the caffeine shakes:) But, if you are a PJ or a hiker on the go it's light weight and shorter length is a plus.

Build quality is good, but has more plastic than the old one. I'm very grumpy about the move to the 82mm front end.

I realize this is pointless to say, but the new lens hood looks wimpy and dumb. People were always impressed with the looks of the old one:)

If your a budget minded hobbyist I'd skip this lens and try to find a low mileage vI. For rich guys and pros buy it, but don't expect to be blown away. I'm only keeping mine cause my vI 's barrel is wearing out.

Sep 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add yokwe to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Sep 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nitidez, velocidad de enfoque, sistema fijación parasol, bloqueo del zoom, calidad de construcción, peso y tamaño. Sharpness, focus speed, fixing visor system, zoom lock, build quality, weight and size.
Cons:
Precio, no tiene IS, filtro de 82mm. Price, no IS, 82mm filter.

Tan sólo dos días de pruebas no dan para mucho, pero es tanta la expectación por este objetivo, que he querido, decir ya algo.

El Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L MkII, según dicen, el objetivo más nitido que ha hecho Canon en toda su historia, superando en nitidez al mítico Canon 24mm TS-E y al no menos mítico 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII, es decir no hay lente Canon ni zoom ni fija que tenga una mayor nitidez. Con la Canon 1D X forman una pareja maravillosa. Al tocarlo, transmite calidad y es muy robusto, se ve muy bien construido. Pequeños detalles como el bloqueo del zoom o el botón de bloqueo del parasol, hacen la vida más fácil y agradable.
Os pongo el enlace a una de mis primeras fotos, con esta maravillosa lente:

Saludos a todos.

Just two days of tests not go far, but it's so much anticipation for this purpose, which I wanted, and say something.

The Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L MkII, they say, the sharpest lens Canon has made in its history, surpassing the legendary sharpness Canon 24mm TS-E and the equally mythical 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII, ie there is no zoom Canon lens that has a fixed or clarity. With the Canon 1D X are a wonderful couple. When touched, transmits quality and is very sturdy, looks very well built. Small details like the zoom lock or lock button hood, make life easier and more enjoyable.
I put the link to one of my first photos with this wonderful lens:

Greetings all.

Sep 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM