Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
APS Equivalent: 38 - 112mm
Max Aperture: /2.8
Min Aperture: /22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups, including 1 Super UD and 2 UD elements
Diagonal Angle of View
(Based on image circle): 84 to 34 degrees
Focus Details: Inner focusing; full-time manual focus and USM
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotating, with zoom lock lever
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 1.25 ft.
Magnification Ratio: 0.21x / 1:4.76 (at 70mm)
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 113mm x 88.5mm / 4.4 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 805g / 28.4 oz
Notes: Weather sealing protects against dust and moisture, while a fluorine-coated front and rear elements are easy to clean.
Online Price: US$2,300

Stephen Cooper

Registered: Jan 14, 2007
Review Date: May 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very, very sharp
Cons:
Cost - but decent glass will always cost

Super sharp lens across the range. Coming from a 24-105 f/4 L the operation of the lens wasn't a problem. Lens hood is similar to the 24-104 with the addition of a release button. Cost wasn't great in the UK at 1749, but I purchased it with 235 cash back.

Overall very early days with the lens, but I'm really pleased with the performance.

May 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stephen Cooper to your Buddy List
tuantran

Registered: Oct 25, 2006
Review Date: Apr 17, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,049.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper at all focal lengths and apertures vs Ver. I More popness vs Ver. 1 Very close in IQ vs my 35mm L
Cons:
Plastic feel Hood not as effective as Ver. I

This is a great upgrade vs Ver. I of this lens in terms of IQ, ie, sharpness, contrast, popness but it also vignettes more, hood stinks and feels more plasticy.

I feel confident using all focal lengths and at all apertures and very similar to my 35mm L at similar FL and apertures.

Apr 17, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tuantran to your Buddy List
szinski

Registered: Feb 13, 2006
Review Date: Apr 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,045.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp! Great contrast, great color!
Cons:

I have been shooting with my 5D Mark II since 2008. I've shot with a lot of different non-L lenses plus two copies of the 24-105mm f/4L lens and all were unimpressively sharp (or impressively un-sharp). :-)

Because of that, I always felt that it was my 5D Mark II that was at fault.

Then, last year, my amazing wife bought me the infamous EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II and WOW was I impressed! Now that I know it's not my body that's at fault, I had to replace my 24-105mm with the same quality lens.

Enter the new EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM II. Holy cow this thing is sharp! My 100% crops look stunning! I took quite a few side-by-side shots using both the 24-105 and the 24-70 and there just isn't any comparison! The new lens is simply amazing and now I feel vindicated in spending over $2000 for the lens!

Apr 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add szinski to your Buddy List
snow14

Registered: Mar 7, 2009
Review Date: Apr 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,049.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp sharp
Cons:
Price but you get what you pay for

I did not think that zoom lenses can be this sharp and I am saying this after owning 70-200 2.8II just wow

Apr 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add snow14 to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Mar 23, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optically outstanding, excellent and fast AF, decently built
Cons:
no IS (but you know that), expensive expensive...

Love at first sight after opening your box and start shooting...

Mar 23, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
Whaler

Registered: Mar 20, 2003
Review Date: Mar 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything, color, contrast, and very very sharp.
Cons:

I think the last review I posted was for the original 24-70 f/2.8. The original, was my Clydesdale for the past 8 years. The MK II is exactly what I was hoping for, a mid range zoom that is every bit as good as my 70-200 f/4 IS. The only experience with primes was a short but sweet ownership of a 35 f/1.4 L. The MK II easily stands up to the aforementioned prime. I really do not notice the 100 gram weight difference in the MKII. It still feels like a brick attached to a 5D MK II. About the only thing that is lighter is my wallet, as we all know the lens is expen$ive. Is it worth it? Unequivocally, YES!!!!!!! The color, contrast, and sharpness is wonderful. One other thing I have noticed is there seems to be a slight reduction in noise/grain but then again it could be my imagination. In closing I highly recommend this lens.

Mar 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Whaler to your Buddy List
barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Mar 7, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Excellent image quality, very impressive AF performance, build quality
Cons:
MFD at wide angle

Very high image quality that rivals primes. Very sharp, excelelnt color and tonal rendition, superior AF. I wish it can focus closer at the wide end of the zoom, otherwise no weaknesses. It is expensive, but to get similar performance you need a bag of primes, that will cost and weight even more.

My small review with sample images here:

Mar 7, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add barmaley to your Buddy List
barmaley

Registered: Oct 23, 2009
Location: Russia
Review Date: Mar 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, very impressive AF performance, build quality
Cons:
MFD at wide angle

Photonic

Registered: Apr 24, 2003

Pros: Scary sharp, IQ rivals primes, reasonable weight and compact size.
Cons:

I went in with high expectations after reading all the glowing reviews about resolution and contrast. I have not been disappointed. I like shooting wide open and this lens just kicks ass at f/2.8. I do not find that stopping down improves the resolution by that much and you could not ask for more by f/5.6.

IS is the obvious missing feature of this lens. If, however, as has been asserted by Canon, the inclusion of IS would have compromised IQ then I am glad they made that decision. I can add stabilization with a tripod but have no way of improving the intrinsic capability of a lens.

I hate the price of this lens but have no regrets having obtained one. It has now replaced my 24-105mm zoom which I still hold in high regard as a very versatile and cost effective lens, as well as my 24mm f1.4L II which I traded for it.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Photonic to your Buddy List
Stoffer

Registered: Jan 27, 2005
Review Date: Feb 1, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, outstanding corner performance at 24 mm for a zoom. High micro-contrast and very fast autofocus.
Cons:
Price?

Really just a fantastic zoom. Very sharp from f/2.8 and corner performance at 24 mm is prime quality at f/8. Maybe a tad less sharp at 70 mm, but it still passes the test of rendering eyelashes plenty sharp. Very high micro-contrast gives some beautiful images. Distortion is moderate and should not be an issue unless you're doing architecture. Autofocus is very fast and spot on.

I'm upgrading from a 24-105mm f/4L IS and doesn't miss the IS, but then I knew I would prefer f/2.8 over IS before I bought it. Highly recommended, if you can afford the high price.

Feb 1, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stoffer to your Buddy List
ezekiele

Registered: Jan 16, 2013
Review Date: Jan 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: This lens is very fast and creates a very nice and subtle depth of field when wide open.
Cons:
In combination with the 5DMK II and the battery pack it can make for a heavy experience. Overtime the zoom tends to slide out when not held level. This typical happens when shooting with another camera and lens and the camera are hanging from the strap. If not careful this could potentially lead to damaging the lens if it is hit hard enough against something.

I use my Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM in combination with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM and a 5DMK II to shoot all of my weddings. After all of the combinations I have used this pair is the best.
Go to <a href="ezekielephotography.com">www.ezekielephotography.com</a> if you want to see samples. Good Lens.

Jan 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ezekiele to your Buddy List
svassh

Registered: Mar 4, 2011
Review Date: Jan 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,049.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp from 2.8
Cons:
Price, no IS

Really shocked at how sharp this is from 2.8. Even with my 35L which is sharp stopped down to 2.8 its not as sharp as the 24-70 II.

Much lighter and easier to handle than the last version besides the improved sharpness. Also like the zoom working the way it should now instead of the backwards way of its predecessor.

Jan 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svassh to your Buddy List
BostonGreg

Registered: Apr 19, 2011
Review Date: Dec 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp, zeiss like colors & contrast, overall stunning image quality, great investment
Cons:

Just picked up the new 24-70 II. This is a fantastic Canon zoom lens and worth every penny. Image quality is fantastic...beats all my other Canon L series primes except the 200 f2 IS and 300 f2.8L IS II. The colors and contrast rival my Zeiss glass. The lens is lighter than the original and has a very solid feel. I'm really enjoying these new Canon lenses!

Dec 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BostonGreg to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,249.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp,sharp,sharp!Quick AF,light weight
Cons:
cost,no IS

I was extremely skeptical of this lens originally,especially when I found out it didnt have IS..I even bought a Tamron 24-70 which I thought was excellent but it kept gnawing at me to try the Canon especially after some outstanding reviews.I sold my Tamron and bought the Canon and couldnt be happier....the weight is much better than the original Canon...the AF is lightening fast and IQ is right up there with the 70-200 IS which is the best zoom lens I have ever used!My only complaint is the lack of IS which does disappoint me but I will have to live with that...the cost?prohibitive but I guess you have to pay to play!...great lens!

Dec 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
jcmedeiros

Registered: Jun 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness weight
Cons:
cost

After paying the heavy toll to acquire the 24-70 II I am not in any way disappointed. The sharpness edge to edge is simply excellent through out the range. The focusing speed is also lightning fast and deadly accurate on the 1D mk IV and 1Dx. It actually approaches the 70-200 II, which is the finest zoom I've ever used. It is actually very usable for sports like basketball and volleyball. You certainly couldn't say this about the previous version. The images are also a bit more contrasty, which I really like.

I just love the lighter weight. Some people have complained that is seems more "plasticy" and "not as solid" but the weight savings has to come from somewhere. The new design's 24-105 style hood, which is very compact and moves with the front element, is also appreciated. The previous version's lens hood was a flimsy joke and prone to wear out or just break after a few years.

The cost is steep but I love this lens.

Dec 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jcmedeiros to your Buddy List
greg maurer

Registered: Nov 26, 2006
Review Date: Nov 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality... Rendering is suberb..great microcontrast.
Cons:
Heavy, expensive

I sold my 17-40, my 24-105, and old 40d body I wasn't using, and still spent a small fortune....worth it. Both of zooms (IMHO) lack character. This one renders color and contrast that is just stunning. Is it sharp? Who cares, you'll be too excited about the image itself....(plenty sharp though)

Nov 26, 2012