Canon EOS 1D X

• New mechanical shutter rated up to 400,000 cycles
• New intelligent EOS iTR AF Tracking and Recognition options
• Zone, Spot and AF Expansion Focusing modes
• DUAL "DIGIC 5 " processors plus DIGIC 4 processor dedicated to AE functions
• 12fps shooting with AF (JPEG and RAW) or 14fps super High Speed continuous with no AF (JPEG only)
• ISO 100 to 51,200 as standard, ISO 50 to 204,800 with expansion
• 100,000-pixel RGB AE sensor with dedicated processor
• +/- 5 Stop Exposure Compensation
• 55ms shutter lag, 36ms via 'Shortened Release Lag' Custom Function
• Viewfinder blackout at 60ms
• Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
• 30min clip length in Full HD Movie
• Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
• Transparent LCD viewfinder with new focusing screen (100% frame coverage, .76x magnification, 20mm eye-point)
• 3.2" 1.04 million pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
• 2nd Gen EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
• Dual CF Card slots
• Silent control touch-pad area

speedmaster20d

Registered: Oct 19, 2009
Review Date: Jul 15, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: see my review below
Cons:
none for me

I am an avian photographer. I demand the best from my equipment and put it through the most challenging conditions. The 1DX excels technically and mechanically in most demanding situations for pros who want the absolute best that's available today.

see my review for the 1DX http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-1dx-field-review-and-impressions/

Jul 15, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add speedmaster20d to your Buddy List
dkyeah

Registered: Dec 10, 2013
Review Date: Jul 9, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid, fast and accurate AF, low light IQ,
Cons:
Price, no headphone jack, batteries cost, silent shutter mode isn't very silent

Once you can forget about the price you just paid to get this camera, you can't say much except that this camera is awesome.

The body is built like a tank. In fact I even had a problem with one of my strap that "failed", and the camera dropped from my waist onto the ground. It still works and doesn't even have a scratch! So yes, the 1DX is very solid!!
The AF is great. It's fast, it's very accurate. I would just love if the points could be spread slightly wider in width and height. I still have to recompose some of my shots. Is the AF better than the 5D3? Well, in my opinion slightly. Not significantly though. It's probably due to its more "powerful" battery (which a crazy expensive btw!!).
The low light capabilities of this camera are part of why I bought it. ISO wise it's probably about 1 stop better than the 5D3. The AF also seem to hunt less in the same conditions (based on the past 10 weddings I did with both cameras). And last but not least, underexposed shots suffer less in post than those from the 5D3. You can do wonders in post with files from this camera!
I mostly shoot weddings, but I also do beauty and fashion work. Although this body isn't really meant to be used in studio, I find myself using the 1DX more than the 5D3. Some might find it stupid because the 5D has a great pixels count, is lighter and smaller. But… flash sync can go up to 1/250th instead of 1/200th. And did I tell you how much I love the files (color, contrast, grain, etc.) from this camera? I much prefer retouching files from the 1DX than those of the 5DIII.

On the bad side now. It costs a lot. Too much? I don't know. It gets the job done, that's what most important to us professional photographers. If it were 1-2k less than it's official retail price, I probably wouldn't have bought it from HK.
As I shoot some videos sometimes, I'd have loved if they could have put a headphone jack. Though I guess most people who own a 1DX can buy a 2nd camera that has a 3.5mm jack and probably don't shoot much video… That's what the 1DC is for, isn't it? Smile
Shooting weddings, I love the 5DIII for its silent mode. It is so useful for the ceremony and to get those candid shots from a very close distance. The 1DX is big, bulky and it has that very loud shutter… I love the sound of that shutter though, but it isn't the most discret one :/

Anyways, you can discover my recent work at http://quentindecaillet.com/categorie/mariages Most of the pictures are shot with a 1DX Wink

Jul 9, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dkyeah to your Buddy List
mentelfoto

Registered: Sep 3, 2013
Review Date: Sep 3, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is really the best Camera ever. I've a Cenon 5d3 and have the Canon 1ds3, but this camera is far, far ahead.... Its fast, very fast
Cons:

The best Camera i've ever had. I'm am lucky to have one, because its expensive. But if you have the opportunity: buy!
If you want to see some picture, go to http://www.mentel.nl and see for yourself. Almost all the pictures there are made with the 1dx. As a zwangerschapsfotografie and trouwfotograaf (pregnancy and wedding photographer) I'me very enthusiastic about this camera. Especially in difficult situations (no light) it operates very good. In ISO 6500 I easily make the nicest pictures.

Sep 3, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mentelfoto to your Buddy List
nick williams

Registered: Oct 11, 2004
Review Date: May 6, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Low light, focus speed, rear lcd.
Cons:
menu, cost

I have now had the chance to photograph a couple of weddings with the new camera having sold my 1D MKIV which i had for 3 years. The 1 DX is great camera to use and all the points that have been repeated many times on here about focusing and hi iso are all true. Is the camera perfect, well no but not far off. i don't like the new menu, it takes way to long to scroll from one section to the other. You can customise the my menu and save your favourites but only one set. With a camera which has so many settings a "my menu" one and two would be much better. I don't know if its just me but i find the ISO button to be set back a little to far and i find it awkward to use. No big problem as i have set the SET button on the back to change iso. The LCD screen is much sharper than the MKIV which i love.

To state all the things i love about this camera would take all day so with only a couple of negatives I'm sure this camera will last me longer than any other up to now. One last thing canon decided not to put any AF assist on the new STE 3 as their new cameras don't need it. Sorry canon they do. Even this camera will struggle in very low light like you get at a first dance.

May 6, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick williams to your Buddy List
jaiprophoto

Registered: Mar 6, 2013
Review Date: Mar 6, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, highly customizable, nearly flawless autofocus, usable low light sensitivity, rich full-frame files, in-camera multiple exposure capability. In short, the most addictive high speed camera I've ever shot.
Cons:
Cost.

I am primarily a sports shooter who specializes in photographing ice hockey at all levels. I also shoot fine art subjects including landscapes/nature, nautical subjects, portraits, and architecture. I have been a Canon shooter for over a decade and have shot nearly all of the 1D series as well as the beloved 5D and G series cameras. I've previously owned the EOS 1D Mark III and IV and, in particular, loved the autofocus tracking capability of the latter. However, I made the costly jump to the 1DX in 7/12 and have never looked back.

The 1DX is simply the most versatile, best built, and most flawlessly operating camera I've ever used. Of course, the speed, jpeg buffer size, and high ISO image quality set a new standard for high speed sports photography. In fact, at IOS 5000+, I've never needed noise reduction software since its purchase! I've shot this camera with the 200mm f/2.0L lens in many hockey rinks/caves where I was never previously able to get salable images. Amazing!

Additionally, given the rich, full-frame files this camera produces (even large jpeg's which allow me to blast away at 12 fps), I have customers who have printed massive (e.g., 8' x 10') images for advertising/promotional purposes. This includes some images of details shot from the length of a rink and cropped down. The only down side is, as always, needing to expand my storage and backup capabilities.

Another attractive aspect of the 1DX is it's versatility and customizability. The autofocus 'Cases' (a new feature for this 1D) are a great starting point for different sports, but each can be customized depending on need. I currently have three customized pre-sets in the camera that allow me to creatively switch (via the 'mode' button) between high speed manual, high speed shutter speed preferred, and slow speed (aka 'blur') modes, on the fly. This has increased my creativity and artistic use of this camera as an imaging tool, not just as a means of blasting off 4000+ images of another hockey game.

As an aside, depending on your facility with many menus in the 1DX, I highly endorse the Canon Professional Services (CPS) program. Their technicians are masters of this camera and are tireless (I have spent HOURS with them on the phone) in their willingness to tailor this beast to your needs.

Many 1DX images may be found in my hockey and nautical photography galleries at the following link:

Mar 6, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jaiprophoto to your Buddy List
chmod

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: Dec 31, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: certainty of focus, high ISO performance, build quality, Gig ethernet jack, HDMI output, audio levels on view finder with silent control
Cons:
lack of headphone jack

There is so much more to this camera than specs and figures.

Following a dearly loved (and retained) 1Ds MIII, my hope was Canon would continue to evolve the 1 Series. They did not disappoint me, in fact the device exceeds my expectations.

In a little over five months, my work with this body has become almost as automatic as it needs to be. An example would be the fabulous Auto ISO - it is sometimes desirable to dial the ISO or get blown highlights - but at the same time I use Auto ISO routinely in dark clubs as it simply works.

Most of my work is that of dance, festival and really dark clubs. I do love landscape and architectural shooting while on holiday - but the majority of my work is capturing performances.

The 1DX is so fundamentally solid, feature rich and predictable it has transformed everything into being more fun, efficient and also my work flow is more productive.

As this model includes outstanding video capability, I can use a single body on a shoot. Add the Gig ethernet jack, and I can almost (not literally) stream output to storage if working in an environment which facilitates this. It's a wonderful set of options to incorporate.

Over time I became adjusted to the borderline predictable focus capability of my 1Ds MIII. The 1DX is preposterously accurate and can be trusted to nail focus, even is shabby light. I don't even think about it anymore, and take fewer shots.

Quibbles? I sure wish they had augured a headphone jack into the thing - though workarounds are not a huge deal. I use OS-X and the software to support the network features lagged badly behind their support of flavors of Windows.

Combine the features with the weather-sealing/build quality and it's what I was seeking.

I really fell "in like" with this body.

A few example of stills...

A few examples of video...

Dec 31, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chmod to your Buddy List
GARY5D

Registered: Nov 15, 2009
Review Date: Dec 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality,lcd screen resolution,better to hold (grip) then earlier 1d mk3 which i was used too,a1 servo tracking outstanding,high iso low noise!!!! outstanding
Cons:
only one high price, but i guess you get what you pay for

Having come from a 1d mk3 & 5d mk2 which i still have. I find this camera outstanding to use all the shortfalls of the 1d mk3 have been fixed in this super camera, were do i start a1 servo and tracking moving subjects is in a different league,with the mk3 tracking was hit and miss but with this one about 99% plus are spot on. The screen resolution is even better then the 5d mk2 which makes it easy to review pics even in sunlight,focusing is so much faster i can,t believe it even in low light,high iso noise is so much better i have no problem using up to 8000 with perfect results

In summary buy it for just for perfect low noise performace and tracking subjects and last of all that beautiful 3.2 inch lcd screen wow

Dec 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GARY5D to your Buddy List
JohnnyMelbourn

Registered: Aug 25, 2011
Review Date: Nov 30, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Auto focus is blisteringly fast and accurate in good-medium light. High ISO Performance is fantastic. Frame rate is amazing. Shutter Lag/Viewfinder Blackout is Fantastic. Build Quality is brilliant. Menu System much improved. Weather sealing.
Cons:
Compared to 5D MK III Iv'e found AI Servo in very low light to hunt/fail more. In good light 1DX rules no question. Cost

This is the first camera iv'e used that really feels like a tool rather than a camera.
Prior to this the only 1d experience i had was with the MKIIN.

In all but the lowest of light the AF on this camera is just truly staggeringly good; although it does have issue against low contrast scenes even in good day light. I am sure this issue will be reported more once the new firmware circulates more, hopefully by next revision this slight problem will be eliminated.

The frame rate/Shutter Lag (custom shortened)/ Viewfinder blackout make for an incredibly responsive tool that literally helps you get that split second shot without having to blame the lag of the camera (something i frequently did with the 7D)

The IQ is just incredible, compared to my old 7D i can push up to 3200 and the noise is better than 400-640 on my 7D!

IMO usable iso range stops at 20000 on this camera for me, it takes quite a substantial dive at 25K, but its not absolute garbage to it may still satisfy some.

C-Modes!!!!
This is what made me choose a 1DX over a 1DMKIV, I fell in love with the ability to change settings dramatically and instantly with the 7D. On the 1DX its even easier, Just assign Mfn (previously FEL) to function as a c1-c3 toggle! Its just awesome.

I did give up a lot of reach when going full frame, and yes i know its not reach but the point is academic; Ive traded in an 18MP/1.6 crop camera for a 18/1 full frame cam. But the cropping quality isn't as much of a hit as i feared, Mostly because the IQ is just superior that it takes heavier cropping much easier.

Overall i do love the camera, the few niggles aside (most likely firmware) this is a precision tool that basically ensures the camera is never the weak link in the equation, It is about as dependable a camera as i have ever used. I don't find myself now missing shots due to the Usual BS the 7d/40D used to give me, it just does the job.

Nov 30, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JohnnyMelbourn to your Buddy List
kaycephoto

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Review Date: Nov 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF capabilities (acquisition + consistency) in any setting, 12FPS (wow, if you thought 10FPS was fast..), outstanding high-ISO performance, dual CF cards & their write-speeds, 18MP is a great resolution for me, new larger/brighter viewfinder provides a better experience, larger LCD screen, tons of customization possibilities
Cons:
None that really count now that the f/8 AF & AF-illumination issues have been addressed - this camera isn't a true replacement/improvement over the 1Ds Mark III (Canon's former full-frame studio champion) at ISO100, so Canon's marketing department deserves a slap in the face for trying to sell the 1DX as a replacement for both the 1D4 & 1Ds3 lines.. Battery life on this behemoth is also noticeably shorter than on the impressive former 1-series bodies, but that is likely due to the larger screen & improved throughput required for the improved performance & AF/metering of the 1DX

Without a doubt the most complete DSLR on the market today.

For anyone not requiring medium format resolution in-studio, the 1DX is as close to the perfect camera as any manufacturer has delivered to date & is a tool I'd absolutely feel confident depending on in any situation for any job unless I needed more than 18MP (ie. billboards, etc)

Wasn't planning to purchase one of these badboys until next spring, but when an amazing deal came up I couldn't find any reasons to delay the switch (sold my 1Ds Mark III) & I have no regrets.. This camera is the ultimate performance-driven tool any sports shooter could ask for & performs just as well in less-demanding situations as well - from AF-acquisition speed to reliability to image quality, the 1DX is top-notch & is indeed a "game-changer" as my local retail rep described the camera, months prior to the official release.

Canon's firmware updates now allow the 1DX to AF at f/8 (very important for wildlife shooters & birders) & I've found the intermittent AF-point illumination issues adequately addressed as well.. (It still isn't as faultless as the original 1Ds3/1D4 viewfinder design, but the firmware changes combined with the new larger viewfinder of the 1DX are a good enough compromise for my needs.)

For more of my thoughts on the 1DX:

Canon EOS 1DX – Hands-On Review

Canon EOS 1DX – High-ISO Stress-Test Samples:

Nov 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kaycephoto to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Nov 2, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Focus, accurate and very fast, excellent metering system, ergonomics, quality construction and sealed. | Enfoque, preciso y muy rαpido, sistema de mediciσn excelente, ergonomνa, Calidad de construcciσn y sellado.
Cons:
I wish more pixel density, for example 24MP and 10 frames per second would be better, for me. The focus at f8, already arranged by fimware. | Desearνa mas densidad de pixel, por ejemplo 24MP y 10 fotos por segundo seria mejor, para mi. El enfoque a f8, ya se ha arreglado por fimware.

Before I had a 1D MkIV, which I really worked very well, but back to FF, with the quality of the series 1 has been a great pleasure, the 5D MkIII, has a great sensor, but lacks the reliability of the series 1.

For me today is the best SLR market, I put some examples of how it works in different disciplines and conditions.

Greetings all.

Portrait, made in high key, with the camera working in monochrome mode:

Portrait, night outdoors, with strobist performed using 3 Canon 600EX Cano RT + ST-E3, E-TTL mode to 1:1 power, other equipment, Canon 1D X + Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS MkII.

Macro, on the tip of the leaf of a bromeliad dwarf, a Tricolor Dendrobates baby less than 1cm. in length, is about to eat a little more drosophila 1mm. All the drama you're watching takes place in about 2.5 cm. in length. Being thus cut Photo 1:1.

Still, photo made with soft natural light, tripod and long exposure:

Nov 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
rxgolf

Registered: Aug 25, 2005
Review Date: Sep 24, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast and super accurate focus in all conditions! Amazing ability to properly meter difficult situations. Really nice high ISO ability. The most solid feeling camera I have ever held.
Cons:
I wish it would have been priced in line with the D4. As good as this camera is, I don't think it should have been marketed as a replacement for the MkIV and 1DsIII unless I am wrong in thinking a high MP offering will follow.

Having owned and shot the d800, D4, and the 1DX my thoughts are the 1DX is the best all around camera I have ever shot. I have never used a camera that I can count on to deliver the shot more consistantly than the 1DX. What this camera delivers is the ability to focus, meter, and handle more levels of light in more situations with the ability to produce a great file than the others. I am not saying it produces the best files in all situations because it does not. What I am saying is that this camera will not miss shots that others will. A slightly out of focus 36mp shot looks much worse than a perfectly focused 18mp shot regardless of the size you print.

Sep 24, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rxgolf to your Buddy List
webman06

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Sep 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Exceptional AF, as fast as a machine gun, great handling !
Cons:
The cost maybe

This camera is very responsive. With its 18MPix and double CF slots, not much to debate. If you need the right tool to do the job right : 1DX is the correct answer !
I'm very happy I could afford its price as it is the awesome camera that will last me !!

Sep 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add webman06 to your Buddy List
Stoffer

Registered: Jan 27, 2005
Review Date: Sep 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding AF, excellent metering system, superb High ISO, great handling
Cons:
Shadow recovery for some

Most importantly this camera is just such a joy to use. The AF is very fast and accurate to the point where you don’t have to second guess it in order for it to deliver. The metering is really excellent even in difficult circumstances so you seldom have to dial in any exposure compensation, albeit it seems very keen to protect highlights from blowing out. The mirror black out time is really short and adds to the overall feeling of having an extreme responsive camera. Handling and ergonomics is also top notch in my book.

Image Quality is also worthy of a flagship. I have only shoot raw-files, and they are sharp, detailed and smooth at the same time. High ISO is really superb as the grain is easy to get rid of in Lightroom without sacrificing detail. Highlight recovery in the raw-files are also excellent. The only con is that shadow recovery isn’t quite up to the Nikon D800, but definitely still useable in most situation.

It shows the Canon put a lot of effort into this camera in order to bounce back against the Nikon D3S (and D4). EOS-1D X is a home run for years to come.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stoffer to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Sep 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly fast,Fantastic low light AF,fantastic High ISO performance,!D build quality,FF
Cons:
weight,cost

I have only had the camera for a very short time but in a nutshell to me it is a 5D3 on steroids....everything good about the 5D3 is a little better on the 1DX...AF is a little faster,low light performance is a little better...high ISO performance is a little better....add it all up and you have a beast..my lenses seem more accurate and a bit faster to focus with the 1DX....best camera I have had the pleasure of using..my guess is the longer i use it the more magical qualities i will find!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
Fred Miranda
Admin

Registered: Dec 30, 2001

Pros: Build quality, 12FPS 18mp RAW files, Excellent AF and metering systems.
Cons:
Less pixel dense than predecessor, inability to AF @ f/8

I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to test out and review a production model of this new camera.

If you are curious about the new features or wondering if you should upgrade, you may find the answers to your questions in my review. Read about the pros and the cons and my experience using the EOS 1D X in the field.

Coupled with the 400mm and 500mm series II lenses, I had a blast pushing the limits on Canon's new equipment.

To read my Canon EOS 1D X Review, click below: