Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake

39 57888 Mar 25, 2014
pancake-1

A unique and indispensable addition to Canon’s series of EF lenses, the new EF 40mm f/2.8 STM offers an ultra-slim and lightweight design. Incredibly compact in size, the 40mm f/2.8 lens delivers high image quality from the center to the periphery, thanks to its advanced lens configuration including an aspherical element, a bright 2.8 aperture, and optimized coatings that minimize ghosting and flare, while providing exceptional color balance.

• STM - Continuous Autofocus for Shooting Video
• Bright f/2.8 Aperture
• Lightweight 4.6 oz Lens
• Unobtrusive--Less Than 1" Long
• Aspherical Element--High Image Quality
• Optimized Coatings Reduce Ghost & Flare
• Exceptional Color Balance
• 7-Blade Diaphragm for Beautiful Bokeh
• Close Focusing to 11.81"
• 64mm Equivalent If Used on APS-C Camera

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

ruhell

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Jul 4, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Small convenient size. Nice colours.
Cons:
Autofocus goes to "sleep" every now and then

High price in Europe as always.
Nice picture quality and a joy to use except for that the autofocus stops working occasionally - kind falls asleep. Turning the camera (7D) off/on doesn't help and the lens has to be removed from the camera body to wake up again, then it works excellent till the next time it falls asleep....and no it's not on manual focus.
It's fairly sharp and I feel it gives nice colours and i loved it on my 7D. However I'm returning my copy due to the focus issues. Maybe the upcoming firmware fix for the 7D will fix the issue?

I would definately recommend it if it hadn't been for the focus issue.

Jul 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ruhell to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Jul 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: tiny,sharp,quick
Cons:
2.8

How often do you buy a Canon lens for 199 dollars and feel you have bought a quality product?I have all kinds of L lenses and yet i love this little lens.It is a little hard to get used to its appearance on my 1D4 and 5D3 but it is sharp and quick to focus and a pleasure to use...my only complaint is the 2.8 but I guess thats the price you pay for the size and cost!Highly recommended!

Jul 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
Geoarts

Registered: Jun 29, 2012
Review Date: Jun 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $199.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image quality, lightweight, good build quality and price.
Cons:
Manual focusing a bit tricky

This compact little lens is quite a gem. Good image quality with minimal vignetting wide-open in full frame and no vignetting on an APS-C sensor. Minimal chromatic aberration. I personally like the 40mm field of view on my 5D; not too wide and not too narrow. The 64mm focal length on my 40D is not bad either. The STM AF is fast but obviously not up there with an L class lens. The close focus range, while not macro, will get you close enough for most subjects, such as flowers, pets and that sort of thing. I’ve found I can use it for various commercial stock photography subjects when I need to get close but not too close. Manual focusing is not easy with it’s thin little focusing ring so I use it for AF mostly.

Overall I’m very pleased with the lens and glad I added to my kit. It’s light and compact enough for hiking and a good focal range for travel, nature and a variety of subjects.

Jun 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Geoarts to your Buddy List
Aichbus

Registered: Jan 22, 2009
Review Date: Jun 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, weight, price
Cons:

Just bought this little cutie. Like it very much. Quality is exceptional on 5DII full frame. Puts my 16-35II @ 35mm to shame. Distorsion is also quite low. For an art project I have to take pictures of town clocks. Therefore for quite a while I will need to take along my EF 500 f4 L wherever I go, which is quite heavy and tedious. To save weight; I can now go with just the big tele, an extender 1.4x, the 5DII and this little pearl. If I need more wide angle I just take more pictures with it and stitch them together!

Jun 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Aichbus to your Buddy List
matthewm

Registered: Mar 6, 2008
Posts: 2006
Review Date: Jun 27, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, Lightweight, Quick, Quiet, Build Quality, Great IQ
Cons:
STM is Strange (See Review)

I give this lens about a 9.5/10. It's small, lightweight and has great build quality. My first snaps with my 5D Classic (the camera I bought this lens for, specifically) are sharp with good contrast and the OOF areas are nice and smooth.

The focus is quick enough for me for general snaps and travel photos (my main, intended use for this lens). The focus is also quiet. I can hear it just a little bit but it's mostly just a breathy electronic sound. Nothing buzzy like the 35 f/2 or 50 f/1.8.

The build quality is superb. I would rate it with the 28 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 (even slightly better than the 50 f/1.4). It doesn't rattle or creak. The metal mount is nice and attaches securely. The focus ring is smooth and exhibits good resistance. It's also large enough to easily focus with one finger and far enough away from the front element to prevent my fingers from getting in the way.

Where this lens loses a tiny bit of confidence is in the STM motor. While it is fast and silent, the lens can't be focused without the camera being on. So what, right? Typically, when I turn a camera off, I spin the focus ring to retract the front of the lens (yes, this lens extends when focusing). With the camera off, even with the lens in MF, you can't adjust the focus. It's driven solely by the camera's battery. This is a small quibble but one that I noticed and, unfortunately, they lose a half a point for the inconvenience of having to remember to retract the lens prior to turning off the camera. This may not matter to anyone else here, but to me, it's something I think could be a little annoying.

Otherwise, this lens is really great for the money. It's great for travel or lifestyle stuff when you just need a small lens on a body to tuck away in your bag. I'll pretty much be using this exclusively on my 5D Classic as a travel/walkaround setup. For that, it's a perfect lens.

Jun 27, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add matthewm to your Buddy List
kodakeos

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 25, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, Wow is it small!
Cons:
Only an F2.8

This is a great walk around lens. Its wider than a 50mm and at 2.8 is still razor sharp.
Its perfect for a walk around lens, as the FOV is just enough to capture a good angle at a natural distance, but its to narrow.
Autofocus is quick, but is no USM...

Jun 25, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kodakeos to your Buddy List
amesbah

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Jun 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness and build quality very good.
Cons:
Electric focuser in manual does not feel that great.

I'm using the shorty on my 5dmkII and on image quality is really does hold up well against my 24-70 and 70-200II.

STM focuser is functional and a lot quieter than the old geared types. Honestly though - its totally inferior to USM.

I bought the lens to give me a jacket pocketable 5d and for that I give it top marks - its way exceeded my expectations.

For the price its outstanding.

Jun 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amesbah to your Buddy List

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake