Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD SP

29 86615 Sep 3, 2014
8.8
Screen_Shot_2013-11-15_at_10_26_09_AM

Name: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A007)
Image Circle: 35mm
Type: Standard Zoom
Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
35mm Equivalent: 1.5x: 36 - 105mm; 1.6x: 38.4 - 112mm
Max Aperture: f/2.8
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups, including 3 LD, 3 glass-molded aspherical, 1 hybrid aspherical and 2 XR (Extra Refractive Index) elements
Diagonal Angle of View: 84 to 34.3 degrees
Focus Details: Internal with USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive), continuous manual mechanism
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 15 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.2x / 1:5
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 116.9mm x 88.2mm / 4.6 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 825g / 29.1 oz
Notes: VC image stabilization. Available mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony. Includes petal type lens hood.
Online Price: US$1,300

Page:  1 · 2  next

Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Best 24-70 2.8 zoom out there (the Canon is priced ridiculous!)
Cons:

Ok the backward zoom is a bit awkward in the beginning, but this lens is :

-Almost equally sharp as the 24-70 2.8L II
-Is the only f2.8 lens that has VC, the 24-70 2.8LII has not!
-Half the price of the 24-70 2.8L II
-Way sharper wide open than the 24-70 2.8L MK I

If you see Tamron can deliver such a perfect price/quality lens you wonder why you should pay double the price for the Canon brand name/red ring.

Alternative brands are getting better day by day, also check the Tokina's if you are looking for a wide angle and the Sigma Art's if you are looking for 35/50mm primes.

You could say Canon would lower the price seen these better alternatives, but they don't. So they definitely will lose market share if smart buyers choose the right thing (and check FredMiranda Smile )

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
gorku

Registered: Apr 23, 2014
Review Date: May 10, 2014 Recommend? no | Price paid: $995.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Price, sharpness, VC, build quality
Cons:
vignetting, poor QC

I was really worried about buying a third party lens for my 6D so I waited more than a year and read a ton of reviews before getting this lens. I was seduced by the VC and the price

Well my fear became reality: I simply could not get it to work properly. I constantly got the error 01 - bad communication with lens. It always happened when I changed aperture and you could hear a crunchy noise.

In the end I had to send it back - there was just no way the message would go away and I suspect it was the aperture blades.

I have never seen the message since nor prior to buying this lens so I guess it was a quality issue. Back with Canon again!

May 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gorku to your Buddy List
Trezeke

Registered: Jan 5, 2013
Review Date: May 9, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Almost everything for a very good price: VC, build quality, sharpness, contrast and colours, f/2.8.
Cons:
Barrel distortion at 24mm.

This lens takes great photos. For that price it's a good lense when you factor in the image stabilizer.

May 9, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Trezeke to your Buddy List
feverish99

Registered: Feb 17, 2014
Review Date: Mar 10, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: VC - sharper pictures and more keepers in low light.
Cons:
Fair amount of barrel distortion at 24mm

Had it for 2 weeks and first non-Canon lens owned. Quite satisfied. Was using the Canon 24-105L F4 so I will be comparing this with that. IQ is very good, sharp. I have not done enough comparisons but on the eye it's hard to distinguish between this and the Canon. Tested 3 copies before deciding on one, so some copy variations. Barrel distortion is quite noticeable at 24mm (slightly worse than the Canon) but can be easily fixed post if needed. Onion bokeh exists but only noticeable when heavily cropped. 70mm is a little short for some purposes but F2.8 compensates as it's more useable at low light. Excellent value for the quality of the output since the Canon 24-70L 2.8 II costs twice as much and without IS. The reverse zoom ring is a little difficult to get used to. Overall, a great lens from Tamron and highly recommended even for perfectionists.

Mar 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add feverish99 to your Buddy List
fozzybear69

Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,355.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: VC, f/2.8, build quality, price, sharpness, nice contrast, nice colours, USD. 5 Years warranty.
Cons:
Hood useless at longer focal lengths. Zoom ring at the front of the lens. 82mm filter size makes for expensive filters. Resale value does not hold like Canon L lenses.

This lens rivals the new Canon 24-70 mark 2 in almost every aspect. Except it offers VC and is cheaper than the Canon. This lens does not disappoint, image quality is almost as good as the Canon 24-70 mk2 but the difference is very minor. I am photographer who cares more about creativity while image quality is important, I am not one of these who fusses over minor technical details about image quality.

I love Canon L glass, they are the Gucci of camera lenses, I have the 70-200 L f/4 but I am not going to spend $2000 for the new Canon 24-70 (with no IS) when Tamron can save me $600 or $700. That said if money was no object, I would opt for the Canon 24-70 mk2.

The thing that annoys me most about the Tamron 24-70 is the zoom ring at the front of the lens. It takes getting use to, but it's difficult to zoom when using it with an Alien Bees ring flash.

Nov 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fozzybear69 to your Buddy List
Mauritz

Registered: Jun 15, 2008
Review Date: Nov 3, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, even at f/2.8 - it rivals my primes at f/5.6 superior to Canon 24-105 f/4 IS if you do not need the extra reach very effective VC closes the deal for me
Cons:
82mm makes for quite expensive filters pronounced focus breathing

I bought this lens together with my Canon 6D. I wanted something better than the 24-105 kit lens, especially with a larger aperture, and for the small premium I was not disappointed. The lens is very sharp and really tack sharp at f/5.6. I find myself using my primes less often (50 and 85mm) because of the excellent sharpness and very decent bokeh of this lens. Focusing on the 6D is very smooth and fast, even in low light. Even if I could afford the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, which costs twice as much, I would find it very very hard to justify the extra optical performance, especially since the lack of IS is a serious drawback for a lens that expensive. The very effective VC on the Tamron really closes the deal. The combination of this lens with a full frame body with decent ISO performance makes for an excellent combination for low light photography.

Nov 3, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mauritz to your Buddy List
ryan00013

Registered: Mar 12, 2012
Review Date: Aug 2, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: great VC (IS), well built, sharp enough, affordable
Cons:
not quite as sharp as Canon's V2, backwards zoom.

This lens is absolutely wonderful. It is sharper than Canon's 24-70 2.8L V1, but not quite as sharp as Canon's 24-70 2.8L V2. Having said that, I have never felt my Tamron lens this lens lacking in sharpness in real world situations. This lens takes great photos. The zoom ring take a little getting used to, but it is worth it. This lens is near HALF the cost of Canon's latest, AND has VC. Buy this lens, try it out, and you'll never feel the need to upgrade.

Aug 2, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ryan00013 to your Buddy List
LeoJan

Registered: May 26, 2006
Review Date: Jul 6, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $950.00

Pros: IS, good build, sharp, price, 5 years warranty.
Cons:
Focus issues, after a week it is back to Tamron germay. Could not return it to the shop because I registered it.

It is hard to recommend a lens with problems. Not nice you first have to bring it to a Tamron technical service in Holland, they saw the issues but could not fix it. Now it is in Germany, let's hope it is coming back fine. That is no fun buying a lens of 1000 euro.
Never had any problems with my old Canon 24-70L F2.8.

On the other hand, I do not have to give up, I have 5 years time to get it fine. The lens has lots of good features, feels nice, is sharp when focusing oke and till now the service looks fine.

I would recommend a secondhand Canon 24-70L F2.8, although the price can be nearly the same as a new Tamron. The Canon 24-70L F2.8 mark II is way overpriced in my opinion.

Overall rating is not possible. May bey in a couple of weeks.

Jul 6, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LeoJan to your Buddy List
Studley23

Registered: Jun 18, 2013
Review Date: Jun 18, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp throughout the range. Chromatic aberration is virtually non existent. Silent and very fast AF even in very low light. Excellent build quality.
Cons:
Vignette at f2.8 @ 24mm. This is corrected in ACR, setting of about +45, about half stop.

I bought this lens from the money I made selling my Canon 24-70mm L. It was 10 years old so no doubt the canons told their value. I had the Canon serviced once as I was not happy with the allinement of the glass. Still had varying image quality in the corners so time for it to go. I'm not a camera gear snob, but I thought I would never by a Tamron. After looking at dozens of positive reviews, I went for the Tamron. Absolutely no regrets buying this lens, it is so much better than the Canon ( I guess the Canon 24-70mm MKII is a big improvement). I'm sure some of my photography colleagues will look down their noses at me for having this lens, but normally these people talk about gear and not the final image.

Jun 18, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Studley23 to your Buddy List
311erin

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Jun 16, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, vr, build, range
Cons:
Focus variability

Had to return it, I couldn't get consistent focus results with my D4. Also, the VR acted strange using 3D autofocus giving a double blur image at times. Too bad, this lens has such potential but I don't have the patience to test 3-4 copies to find a good one.

Jun 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 311erin to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: May 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, VC, range, aperture, build quality
Cons:
82mm filter (but not much to do about it)

Hi all,

For me, this lens might be the best lens ever for DSLR videos, period.

Pro Wildlife Photographers and filmmaker, this is the first 3rd party lens I bought in my life. I had so many bad experience using such lens from friends that I never thought I was going to get one myself. That was before I tested this one from Tamron.

- Image quality is very high. I won't compare with the 24-70 II f/2.8 from Canon but it is definitely very good and not something you should be scared about when thinking about this lens for photography and even less for video.
- Build quality is high, you don't have the feeling of holding something cheap, Tamron put some love into the making.
- VC is surprisingly silent. I need to spend some more time but I feel I can even use a mic on the hot shoe WHILE using the VC to stabilize the shot.
- 24-70 f/2.8 + VC on a 5D III (or 6D) is a blast, there is just almost no shot you can miss, I'm honestly amazed by the power of this setup.

To see images and videos, you can visit my website there:
or join me on Facebook:

Best,
Emmanuel.

May 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
LizWangPhotog

Registered: May 23, 2011
Review Date: Apr 30, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, quiet, accurate AF. Sharp!! Continuous AF is the best of any lens available for Sony mount.
Cons:
Size, zoom in the front

This review is mainly going to address autofocus performance versus image quality. For Sony shooters, there is no substitute. I switched to Sony a few years back because I loved the image quality. I immediately noticed with all Sony lenses (I've shot with every lens currently available), that as a wedding photographer, all the lenses lacked the ability to track a moving object moving towards or away from the subject. Sure, if you didn't care if the shot was soft, and slightly focused in front or behind your subject, lenses like the Sony 70-200 and 24-70 Zeiss were acceptable in good light, but move to low light or tricky light situations, and you couldn't get more than 1 or 2 keepers out of 10. The 70-200 would hunt like mad and the AF would slow to a crawl. Good luck trying to focus on a moving subject...

After shooting with every available lens, I started guessing it might be the lenses and not the camera, so I preordered the Tamron 24-70 for Sony A mount, since I knew it was a relatively fast and accurate tracking lens on Nikon/Canon mount. I've shot this on the Nikon (great option for that system), and Canon, so this was the perfect test.

Combined with the a99 in continuous AF, single point, fast-moving subject moving towards the camera, this lens was ridiculously more accurate than the Sony 24-70, 6/10 were right on, 2 missed because I didn't hit the focus on the subject, and 2 missed as the camera was refocusing. Not so great, you might say...but the Sony 24-70 and 70-200 had 1/10 or 2/10 in every test. So I would say this...Sony AF still has a lot of maturing to do- same test on the Nikon AF produced slightly more keepers (8/10), but that could be partially to do with Nikon's better predictive AF system. But if you are shooting weddings and care that your processional shots (especially in a dark church) are in focus, or you don't want your lens hunting for several seconds in continuous AF, this is the only lens of choice. The 24-70 Sony Zeiss has better colors, but this is sharper.

I'm now hopeful that the new Tamron 70-200 will be the long end solution...until now I've had to carry two systems- one for action and the Sony for portraits!

Apr 30, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LizWangPhotog to your Buddy List
sachkan

Registered: Apr 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 5, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: price,weight,VC
Cons:

Very sturdy build quality and not too heavy (lighter than the Nikon), effective vibration control and quick auto focus.
I've been reticent about getting 3rd party lenses and I still am, but I took a chance on this and do not regret it. Kudos to Tamron for making this lens.

Feb 5, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sachkan to your Buddy List
dave-s

Registered: May 5, 2008
Review Date: Jan 24, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Simply Better than the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and much less expensive. Better center sharpness, better corner sharpness, better resistance to flare, better micro-contrast, better color, and of course it has VC as a bonus!
Cons:
Image quality unacceptable in corners, needs to be better. I need better image quality, even if I have to pay more to get it. Bokeh can be objectionable in some situations.

I saw this lens reviewed and advertised and it seems to be the only alternative to the Nikon 24-70 f 2.8. I really want/need VC (VR), but I doubted that the Tamron optical quality would be acceptable. Up till now, I have only bought Canon or Nikon lenses (not including my view camera lenses).

I ordered 2 copies of the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and also 2 copies of the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, all from B&H (they are always great).
I tested all 4 lenses scientifically and rigorously. Studio shooting with flash, architectural, landcapes @ infinity. One of the Tamrons was the clear winner. The other copy of the Tamron and both copies of the Nikon were unacceptable for my work. None of the lenses give truly sharp corners at any aperture or focal length. But the one Tamron was close enough to get by (I hate just "getting by") (f11 is the only aperture that gives tolerable results at all focal lengths on the best Tamron).

Anyway, the better of the two Tamrons clearly beat out both copies of the Nikon. Better center sharpness, better corner sharpness, better resistance to flare, better micro-contrast, better color, and of course it has VC as a bonus! The Nikon does focus a little faster, especially in low light, but in my studio people focus tests, I got more hits with the Tamron than with the Nikon. And of course the Tamron is about $1300 and the Nikon closer to $2000.
I would be GLAD to pay $2000, or even more, for an excellent lens. Nikon needs FAR better quality control - they should be ashamed.

Get the Tamron. It is not perfect, but is the best option available.
But whatever lens(es) you get, be sure to order at least 2-3 copies and test rigorously (if you care at all about image quality), as there can be huge variation from one copy to the next.

Jan 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dave-s to your Buddy List
pmagi

Registered: Oct 20, 2010
Review Date: Jan 9, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: The Tamron seems well build and feels nice. A bit lighter and smaller than the Canon, center sharpness is quite ok, the image stabilizer is great.
Cons:
Lots of vignetting, slow focus, not really 70mm but more like 65 mm, extremely ugly bokeh with onion shaped artifacts.

I bought the Tamron 24-70 VC because of the image stabilizer and mostly with the purpose of using it for video filming. I compared it to my Canon 24-70, my pros and cons are based on the results I got out of that.

I put up some example pictures comparing the bokeh of both lenses... subtle difference but that onion bokeh is quite annoying I think: http://www.fotograf-stockholm.nu/tamron-24-70-vc-vs-canon-24-70-for-stills-and-video-filming-image-stabilization-and-bokeh-test/

Anyways, for that price it's a good lense when you factor in the image stabilizer.

Jan 9, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add pmagi to your Buddy List
leedye

Registered: Jan 7, 2013
Review Date: Jan 7, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image Quality Vibration Control for videos f2.8
Cons:
Tad slower focus vs. Nikon version

When I switched from Canon to the Nikon D800E I wanted an excellent walk around lens as I have always been a fan of Canon L lenses.

Came across this lens and am impressed. Never thought I would praise a none Canon or Nikon lens being the brand snob I 'was'.

Image quality is outstanding with a little micro adjustment needed to be dialed into the camera. This is with all lenses though.

Bit if vignetting as to be expected and the same compared to my Nikon.

Image quality is the same as the Nikon, however video is where it is at with this lens. With the vibration control, WOW! HD video is incredible, whether following my dogs or chasing my kids. No more headache just trying to watch the video from none vibration control glass.

Focusing is a tad slower vs the Nikon and though plastic the build quality is top notch.

Overall, absolutely impressed with what Tamron put out and a 5 year warranty to boot. Or is it 6?

Overall, highly recommend his lens, and yes ,even over Nikon's version.

Jan 7, 2013