Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD SP

29 91628 Sep 3, 2014
Screen_Shot_2013-11-15_at_10_26_09_AM

Name: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A007)
Image Circle: 35mm
Type: Standard Zoom
Focal Length: 24 - 70mm
35mm Equivalent: 1.5x: 36 - 105mm; 1.6x: 38.4 - 112mm
Max Aperture: f/2.8
Min Aperture: f/22
Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded)
Lens Construction: 17 elements in 12 groups, including 3 LD, 3 glass-molded aspherical, 1 hybrid aspherical and 2 XR (Extra Refractive Index) elements
Diagonal Angle of View: 84 to 34.3 degrees
Focus Details: Internal with USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive), continuous manual mechanism
Front Element Rotation: No
Zoom System: Rotary
Closest Focus: 0.38m / 15 in.
Magnification Ratio: 0.2x / 1:5
Dimensions
(Length x Diameter): 116.9mm x 88.2mm / 4.6 in. x 3.5 in.
Weight: 825g / 29.1 oz
Notes: VC image stabilization. Available mounts: Canon, Nikon, Sony. Includes petal type lens hood.
Online Price: US$1,300

Page:  1 · 2

Rrexy

Registered: Mar 31, 2005
Review Date: Dec 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, Build & VC
Cons:

I've never posted a lens review prior to this, but this lens deserved the time to do so.
I've owned it for almost three months now and the only negative thing I can say about it is that it requires micro-adjustment.
It's been everything I had hoped it would be and more.
Amazing clarity, sharpness, contrast & color from f2.8 and up.
Auto focus has been fast & accurate (once micro-adjusted) even in low light. The VC operates flawlessly.
Since purchased, it has been my "go to" lens.
An excellent example of what a third party lens can and should be.

Randy

Dec 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rrexy to your Buddy List
vaflower

Registered: Oct 21, 2012
Review Date: Dec 14, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Vibration control, price, image quality, 6 years warranty
Cons:
bulky

Love the Tamron 24-70 VC. Tamron deserved to be praised for being the first designing a 24-70 f2.8 VC lens, and its image is also super.

It is as sharp wide open at f2.8 as Canon 24-105 at F4. The autofocus is silent and accurate. Price is high by Tamron's standard but it is a bargain compared to Canon and Nikon 24-70 f2.8 counterparts.

Dec 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vaflower to your Buddy List
ic2foto

Registered: Jun 19, 2010
Review Date: Oct 14, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Decent build quality and a very useful zoom range
Cons:
My copy has issues and I'm not sure a good copy would be a worth the asking price

I'm currently renting this lens and several others for another round of testing ahead of my next purchase. I had high hopes for this lens but my rental copy is not sharp on the right side of the image and it's quite obvious. For one of my test images I had a prominent figure on the right which really pointed out the flaw in this copy. Discounting what is hopefully a QC problem or poor treatment by another renter I would still find it hard to recommend this lens. For Canon users a trio of the EF 24mm 2.8, 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 will give as good or better IQ for less than 1/2 the price. My Tamron 24-135mm SP might not be as critically sharp in the center as this lens, but has much more even performance across the frame and can be found used for a small fraction of the price asked for this lens. In comparison to the Canon 24-70 LII which I'm also renting, this lens somewhat competitive in the center of the image, but I still wouldn't recommend it for the very critical user. A better copy might change my mind, though there are other options for a lot less $$ as mentioned above. I have had overall good luck with Tamron lenses over 30+ years so hopefully this rental copy is an outlier.

Oct 14, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ic2foto to your Buddy List
Ralph Conway

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, speed, IS (VC), Scharpness, aperture, weight, build, prise, guaranty.
Cons:
Do not see any now.

Yesterday I tested this lens. Amazing! Three years ago I decided to buy not again any 3rd party lens. This decision has gone.
The Sigma 24-70 imo is by far better than the Canon "L" in any aspect. It may be topped in IQ by the new announced II Version. But this one is priced 2.5 times as much and lacks an IS. And Tamron next to this offers a 5 year guaranty, too.

This lens is my choice for this range. I was shooting the 24-105 L before (because of IS and weight). The Tamron outperformes the 24-105 IQ easyly (and the 24-70 2.8L ones imo, too) and adds an fantastic IS. Imo there is no competitor for this Lens in the Market.

Ralph

Sep 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ralph Conway to your Buddy List
tanikon58

Registered: Sep 2, 2008
Review Date: Aug 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I sold the Canon 24-70L to try out this lens and am astounding of its performance compared to the so-called main stream "L" lens. It is sharp and very nice color rendering. AF is fast and accurate using with Canon 5D3. Well built but lighter than the "brick." Look nice with FF body. I do not know this lens is better and cheaper than 24-70L II but it has Vibration Control which seems Canon does not include in the mark II one.
Cons:
It has vignetting because of the 82mm I guess and does not have glass covering in the back element like most lenses. Focal window is easy to break (did not know why?) since I had to send back to Tamron to replace it.

I would prefer to use the FL of this lens on my 5D3 99% of time I went out shooting or walk around.

Aug 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tanikon58 to your Buddy List
Charlie N

Registered: Sep 29, 2007
Review Date: Aug 18, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VC, f2.8, prime sharp center and edges, af fast and accurate.
Cons:
Vignetting requires post occasionally, slightly busy bokeh, both rings initially too tight(loosen over time), extreme corners are a little sloppy.

I've had this lens from launch, and following a month long vacation, this lens is a 10 for sure. It's the best 24-70 available. Optically, it's fantastic, not sure how it can be improved, save the extreme corners. I didn't even know my 24-70L was soft until I compared it to this lens.... then promptly sold it. The 24-70L can get soft over time, so that might be one reason canon is coming out with the mark 2.

The VC is godlike for video, and for photos, stabilization is great for ANY focal length. Solid three stops using the 1/FL rule.

I feel that AF is on par with the L. Hardly ever miss a shot, using outer points on my 5d2. My other main lens is the 50L, and I'm not even sure it can match up with the tamron's sharpness. It's just that my 50 is shot from 1.2-2.8 so often that it seems so much softer than the tamron.

If you can look past the branding, easily worth the asking price IMO. Great FL, very sharp at 2.8, excellent VC/stabilization, weather sealed, damn close to L build, L features.

Aug 18, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Charlie N to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I LOVE THIS LENS! Color/Sharpness/Contrast is in very good range @ f/2.8 - Color/Sharpness/Contrast is in excellent range from @ f/3.5 on up - Build quality for Tamron is very good but not up to the 24-70L build quality- VC works great for hand holding shots @ 1/5th sec @ 70mm - VC works much better for video than the non IS Canon 24-70L - Worth every penny of the $1200 asking price - Bokeh is smooth and pleasing to the eyes - Smooth zoom/focus rings work good for video - AF focuses great on my 5D Mark II/III and my 1D Mark III- Overall Score 9/10!!!
Cons:
For price/quality comparison to the Canon 24-70L MKI I have no complaints at all. My 24-70L needed servicing every 9 months or so due to focus plane shift from the heavy front element wobbling. The Tamron 24-70 VC has no wobble when extended like my old Canon 24-70L.

I was initially skeptical about the $1200 price for a Tamron but its no contest that this lens out performs the Canon L in every aspect except for build quality. 6 year factory warranty is a great bonus as well. If you shoot video this is the only choice that makes sense!

Overall Score is 9/10!!!

Aug 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
Thomas Richter

Registered: Jun 17, 2012
Review Date: Jun 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp (enough), precise AF, solidly built, efficient VC plus f2.8
Cons:
82mm filter (whereas that's a feature...), some vignetting wide open, zoom ring quite tight

Having upgraded now to FF (5D3), this lense replaced my very good EF 15-85 as standard zoom. The more than 1k Euro I saved from the not yet available EF 24-70 2.8L II I rather invested in a EF 85 1.2L II. Therefore this lens is expected to deliver good but not stellar performance in many disciplines, and it does that very well. You can do portraits with nice bokeh, take indoor and available light shoots at f2.8, and the VC is helpful for taking videos too, though I haven't tested that yet. So its very versatile, and if I need outstanding IQ I just take one of my primes. There are several lenses or even zooms that perform as good or slightly better in this or that situation, but considering the overall features, performance and price this lens is unique on the market at the moment.

Jun 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thomas Richter to your Buddy List
gwaww

Registered: Nov 20, 2008
Review Date: Jun 7, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VC, sharpness, color, contrast, build, price.
Cons:
82mm filter, distortion at 24mm

The first reviewer gives this lens a 7 and he doesn't even own it. "Canon MK II is 1/3 sharper?" What does that mean? Every review I've read gives this lens a higher rating than the org. Canon 24-70. I agree. I've had the Canon L, the Sigma HSM, the 24-105L, the Tamron 28-75 and this is the best. I use it on a 5D MK II and it makes a perfect walk-around for me. The VC is amazing on this lens!

Jun 7, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gwaww to your Buddy List
dwarf

Registered: Jun 1, 2012
Review Date: Jun 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap compared to competitors, Image stabilisation, good bokeh, accurate contrasty colours, well built, sharp
Cons:
Not sharp as mainstream competitors, less weather resistant.

I had a chance to test this lens on my 5d m2. I compared it with the canon 24-70 ver 2.
Autofocus: Canon is twice as fast(probably because there was more light in the Canon's stand) but it's not precise. The Tamron nails the focus every time.
Build quality: They both feel well built, although i suspect he Canon should be better built. I like the feeling of the Tamron better.
Bokeh: Amazing! I don't know why some people complain about it. This one had no problems at all. The Canon bokeh was more like Gaussian blur...
VC: The Tamron is the only 24-70mm with VC.
Zoom and focus rings: Soft and accurate. Both lenses have full time AF overdrive.
Optics: Very sharp. The Canon is 1/3 sharper and has better resolving power. I wouldn't use these as portrait lenses. They are TOO sharp(with Canon having the lead). Not recommended for people with skin other than perfect.
Price: 1200$ VS 2400$+ Absolute bargain!
I have this lens on pre-order. Arriving in 1 week. I will make a better review then.

Jun 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dwarf to your Buddy List
myy001

Registered: Jul 18, 2005
Review Date: May 31, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, f2.8 usable, great VC
Cons:
AF not accurate

A near perfect lens if it could focus accurate. Not recommended for cameras without microadjustment. Some vegnitting @70mm but can be corrected and not severe in normal shootings.

May 31, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add myy001 to your Buddy List
michael valeri

Registered: Nov 28, 2006
Review Date: May 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: VC works great Silent operation High quality finish Good weight, balances well on 5d Mk11 Amazing image quality
Cons:
Slight Vignetting Canon didn't make it first ; )

This is a fantastic lens & I'm generally a canon L lens type of a guy. That been said I believe in using the best tool that gets the job done.Build quality is really solid & the addition of VC is great, it's f2.8 constant aperture on Full Frame & it's the only on in the world to date with Stabilization in this range. looks materials and constuction all look very good I was so impressed with this lens that I sold my 24-105 f4 L, as this lens is so much better. Its so much lighter than the canon 24-70mm f2.8 L & it has VC. I shot a very low light church function & the VC & auto focus worked great. When I reviewed my images I was blown away by the color rendition & sharpness this lens captured. So If your a wedding, portrait photographer, video shooter or just want an extremely versatile lens than this one rocks hard ; )

May 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add michael valeri to your Buddy List
avgshooter

Registered: May 24, 2012
Review Date: May 24, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: - Very Sharp - Excellent VC - Good build quality
Cons:
- Vignetting - A bit expensive - 82mm Fliter size

I really wanted to love the 24-70L, but I often had difficulty getting tack sharp photos without a tripod. I used to lean all over the place just to get a steady shot in low light.

I really wanted to love the 24-105L, but I often felt the speed of F4 a bit lacking. The shutter speed often dropped too low in low light situations to keep subjects still.

Anyway, here comes the tamron to save the day. The VC works fanstastic and at 2.8 and I've been able to take pictures indoors without a tripod or even thinking about finding a good place to lean against.

The build quality is quite good, not quite up to the L lenses but the zoom action is quite smooth and feels nice in hand. There's a zoom lock button, but I've had no problems with zoom creep.

Image quality is excellent. The lens is very sharp in centre and borders are good even wide open. I've heard other's comment that the bokeh is rubbish. But its quite subjective and I find it quite pleasing.

Now if only canon can make the 24-70 III IS.

May 24, 2012