Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM

86 207188 Apr 24, 2012
ef500mmf_4_1_

Next-generation super telephoto L-series lens with an Image Stabilizer, it's one of the world's best lenses for wildlife and nature photography. The optical system is newly designed with a maximum aperture of f/4. One fluorite element and two UD-glass elements effectively correct aberrations resulting in sharp and excellent delineation.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6  next

Cesar

Registered: Oct 18, 2006
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Sep 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, very nice in color and contrast
Cons:
nop

Esta lente é simplesmente espectacular, é a minha lente favorita.
Para fotografia de natureza é sem duvida a melhor opção.
Recomendo vivamente.

Sep 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Cesar to your Buddy List
Steven Evans

Registered: Nov 14, 2006
Review Date: Jun 3, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Contrast, Focus,
Cons:
Hummm, My first supertele- takes a bit to get used too

I bought this lens about 2 months ago. I really like the bokeh, It has fast AF, The picture quality is simply stunning!!

I have found myself doing a lot of handheld photography(wildlife) with it. I am able to get pics down to 1/250 with a 50/50 keeper rate but I at 1/500 the keeper rate is very high!!

Jun 3, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Steven Evans to your Buddy List
stelin

Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Review Date: May 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything bar the size and weight
Cons:
Size weight

Simply awesome quality. Almost no need to process a RAW image. Incredibly sharp. Handholds well (for a short time). If only it wasn't so big and heavy, but then it wouldn't be a 500 f4!!

May 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add stelin to your Buddy List
genefixer

Registered: Jan 22, 2007
Review Date: Apr 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great crispness, lifelike images and perfect contrast images. Little PIP necessary. IS is very quiet and works great on or off a tripod.
Cons:
really none. Won't add price because for the $$ it is a steal!

Have only had this lens for a couple weeks but already I find myself leaving my 400 DO IS at home and bringing the excellent 500mm F4 and a 300mm along for the shoots. I have debating about leaping for this lens for over a year and finally did with no regrets, even with this ongoing economic downturn!

do not have many images to show but for a laughable subject go to:

Apr 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add genefixer to your Buddy List
philp

Registered: Jul 31, 2004
Review Date: Apr 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp. Fast focus and hand holdable.
Cons:
Cost, but you get what you pay for.

I've had this lens for a short while and I use it mainly for motorsport.

I thought my 300 f2.8 IS L was good but this is just as good.
The sharpness and speed of focus is amazing and I can hand hold for panning shots without much issue.

Adding the 1.4x convertor works really well and pushes it out to 700mm ithout any noticable drop off in IQ on my 1D MkIII.

This and the 300 2.8 are the best glass I have ever used. Well worth the expense.

Apr 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add philp to your Buddy List
James Wei

Registered: Aug 12, 2007
Review Date: Mar 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent bokeh and stunning image rendering ability
Cons:
Weight

This is a very good lens. I have bought it 7 years ago and bought it again because I need it for wild life photography.

Fantastic rendering and the images are just so sharp. Clarity with good contrast. Bokeh is fantasticly creamy buttery smooth.

Here are the image gallery from this lens

This is a very good lens to own

Mar 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add James Wei to your Buddy List
harrygilbert

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Feb 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, excellent IQ, fast and accurate focusing (with 5D)
Cons:
Cost

One of the best photo investments I have made. Only "nit" is the weak 52mm Canon polarizing filter. With a Wimberly head, it's a joy to use; with a Bushhawk, it is very manageable and I got my first decent BIF and wildlife shots (with a 5D no less).
Very sturdy construction and quality build - I feel I got my money's worth.

Feb 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add harrygilbert to your Buddy List
GeoffreyLI

Registered: Jan 11, 2009
Review Date: Jan 21, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Razor-sharp image, fast focusing, good contrast
Cons:
White len casing, crummy lens cap, expensive

Razor-sharp image even with the aperture wide-opened. 1.4X works very good on this lens. Fast focusing is performed with or without 1.4X attached on 1-series cameras. A stable tripod and ball-head is a MUST for this type of lens. If you are afforded to buy this lens, you will find it worth every cent you had paid. However, if you are bird-photographer, perhaps the lens is not long enough in some occasions. I never use Canon’s original lens cap. It is very crummy to use on the field. If the lens casing is coated in black or “cammo” color, it can be much harmony to match the nature environment.

Jan 21, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GeoffreyLI to your Buddy List
RikWriter

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Dec 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's very sharp...nearly as sharp as my 300 2.8L IS...and very fast-focussing. It takes a 1.4X TC very well with no degradation in IQ and very little loss of focus speed. Not brutally heavy...I can use it well with a monopod after a bit of practice if I keep the shutter speed up.
Cons:
Mucho dinero. Mucho mucho mucho mucho dinero. Ouch.

It's my dream wildlife lens and it hasn't let me down. I bless the circumstances that made it possible for me to buy it as it has allowed me to get some shots I never would have been able to get before. It's not light, but it's light enough that I have been able to carry it over my shoulder on a monopod for over 3 miles of hiking. It works a 1.4x teleconverter like it was made for it, nearly as well as my 300 2.8L IS used one.
It's a very expensive lens, but you can feel the value of it every time you pick it up.

Dec 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RikWriter to your Buddy List
DennisW1

Registered: Sep 6, 2008
Review Date: Oct 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Canon's typical L lens quality surpasses itself with this lens. Outstanding focus and IS performance.
Cons:
My Visa card is still smoldering.

I know, everyone moans just a bit about the price of this lens, but it's true you get what you pay for.
I've been shooting motorsports for the past couple years with 1DMkIIn bodies and my long lens being the 100-400IS, adding a 1.4 extender when necessary. I loved the lens except for it's slow aperature, which got even worse when the 1.4 was added. Anything less than a bright sunny day and I was scrambling for a fast enough shutter speed to keep images sharp, even with the IS.
I finally made the plunge for the 500 f4 this year and I'm sorry I waited so long.
Yes, it's heavy, but with the 1DMkIIn body and a good monopod it's a very manageable and the rewards you get from the images are well worth it.
If you think this is the lens you've been waiting for, you're probably right.......go buy it.

Oct 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DennisW1 to your Buddy List
SONYBOY

Registered: Nov 6, 2005
Review Date: Oct 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Phenominal lens, focus is fast and positive,sharpness is as good as it gets,and build is what you should expect from a L series lens. Wieght is over emphasized by some a healthy adult male can hand hold this lens for short periods of time and I regularly pack mine attached to a tripod for hours.
Cons:
A bit pricey and if I could have afforded the extra money a 600 f4L would have done a better job for my needs.

THIS LENS IS ALWAYS ATTACHED TO A BODY WHEN I AM OUT, THE OTHER BODY ROTATES OTHER LENS.

Oct 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SONYBOY to your Buddy List
canedje

Registered: Sep 30, 2008
Review Date: Sep 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very fast, SHARP (also at F4 or F5,6 and 1.4 TC)), IS, handholdable
Cons:
none except price

I use this lens for bird and nature photography.
I am stunnished about the quality. Only because of this lens you are a better photographer, it seems to go automatic.

I don't think there will be higher quality possible.

Price is high, but worth all of it. If you can afford it and yoy want to do nature photography: bu it!

Hereby my site and forum to see some results by me and otjer 500mm photographers (In Dutch, sorry):

Sep 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add canedje to your Buddy List
tfoltz

Registered: Jul 7, 2008
Review Date: Sep 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super IQ, nice bokeh, can be handheld
Cons:
nothing after you take a look a your first shots

I was shooting nature pics with a 70-200mm with a 1.4x getting great images within a certain distance but just didn't have the reach. So for the past few months I've read a lot of reviews and asked a lot of questions. Finally I made the decision. Now I've had this lens for a week and have taken about 1,000 shots... I can't be happier. If anyone is thinking about it, yes it is worth it.

Sep 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tfoltz to your Buddy List
Stono

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $7,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremly sharp, also when shooting F4. Sharpness and IQ close to/identical with my Canon 300 mm F2.8 IS L. Physically, a very robust lens.
Cons:
Heavy! Attracts a lot of unwanted attention from strangers when shooting in public places.

Before buying this lens I read the all reviews I could get my hands (eyes) on and they all said the same: A superb lens! And now that I have got that lens and used if for a few weeks, I can only say: You are so very right! This is, indeed, an extremely good lens in every way.

But be prepared, this lens will attract a lot of (unwanted) attention, even from complete strangers and non-photographers.

Jul 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stono to your Buddy List
Bas Breetveld

Registered: Jun 4, 2008
Review Date: Jun 4, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $6,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ is absolutely stunning. It's fast as a lens can be.
Cons:
The weight is a small problem in the field problem. Did I say anything new?

It's become my reliable friend photographing wildlife. The visible details and colors are always outstanding. Almost no post-processing is needed after adding my standard values to the RAW-files. Only some sharpening in PS of course.

Most people say something different but I hate to use the 1.4 converter on it. IQ isn't the problem. The problem is that I get the same IQ as without from F7.1 and stop down more. In the Netherlands we don't have enough sunshine the whole year round to make the converter useful. I stop using it.

The lens is very easy to use handhold. For birds in flight that's ideal.

If you're interested in some results, you can find them over here: www.naturereflections.nl All of the birds (most kingfishers) were photographed with this lens. I just love it!

Kind regards,

Bas

Jun 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bas Breetveld to your Buddy List
lextalionis

Registered: Jul 28, 2007
Review Date: Apr 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The "Pro" is, even if you're not a "Pro" you sure look like one!
Cons:
You may what a hire a body guard to protect this lens...yes the lens, not you!

I don't own this lens unfortunantely, but Michel Roy does. He's a fabulous northern nature photographer. He has given he views of this lens. Check out these sample photos taken with 1D Mark II:

Canon EF 500mm f/4 L IS Lens Photo Samples

-Roy

Apr 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lextalionis to your Buddy List

Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM