Nikon D800E

• Built-In Flash i-TTL Flash Control
• Matrix/Center-Weighted/Spot Metering

Mick Dooley

Registered: Mar 4, 2007
Review Date: Oct 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb IQ and DR. It exposes sloppy techniques - which made me pay attention and improve.
Cons:
It exposes sloppy techniques.

This is a superb camera. It is the best tool ever for at least 85% of my photo needs. My pro gigs are Portraits, Music Events, Musical Instrument Shots, and Landscapes. I also do music videos and I've been using the 800e on those, mostly as a second video camera.

On one video shoot I lost my main sound source for a sequence, and the 800e sound from an external videomic was good enough to save the day.

The photo shop where I bought it advised me to watch my technique, and to always double my safe hand-held shutter speed. This was good advise. There is such good detail in the shots you will notice blur more when you enlarge.

The file sizes are big, and yes, I did invest in new PC and back-up drives, but those upgrades were coming anyway.

Oct 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mick Dooley to your Buddy List
DocsPics

Registered: Feb 2, 2008
Review Date: Sep 28, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 36 MP allows lots of room to crop. Excellent catalyst to grow your desire to capture ever better images...and you will with the D800e.
Cons:
36 MP crop allows lots of room to crop. Will amplify blur if you do not control for vibration (poor technique, shutter button, mirror, wind, second cup of coffee, etc.). Use tripod, MLU and timer...problem solved (unless your subject is moving of course). Warning: once you master this camera, you will be unhappy shooting with a lesser sensor. Hard to get better than the best.

For landscapes and wildlife (yes, I said wildlife) this camera is superb. As of this writing, it has only been bested by the D810 IMHO. Unless you are shooting fast moving subjects or have poor camera technique (i.e. vibration management) there is nothing to beat it. Don't fret about moire, unless screen doors and windows are your favorite things to photograph. This camera deserves great glass. If you love photography, you deserve this great camera and lots of great glass. Pair the D800e with a Nikkor 200/2 and you will be completely spoiled....which is a good thing. Happy shooting!

Sep 28, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DocsPics to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Sep 4, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ; DR; AF
Cons:
High ISO performance

I've had a couple D800's and I've wanted the E for the additional sharpness. I shoot mainly landscapes and architecture so the additional boost in resolution is very nice. This camera does not disappoint at low ISO the only 35mm camera that I'd say is better would be a D810 but it's significantly more expensive. I bought the 800E on a whim one day when I saw a good deal on the forums. Paired with good glass this camera is simply exceptional. I would highly recommend any of the 800 series cameras by Nikon the resolution and dynamic range these cameras have is a dream for any landscape photog

Sep 4, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dpedraza to your Buddy List
Cagey75

Registered: Feb 11, 2013
Review Date: Feb 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Simply oozes quality all-round
Cons:
Shooting at the highest RAW setting, 14 bit losless uncompressed, will require some hardware upgrading - but not so much as some make out

It is really amazing.

Feb 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cagey75 to your Buddy List
nick53097

Registered: Apr 19, 2008
Review Date: Oct 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ IS AMAZING
Cons:
Live View

Best.....camera...ever!

Oct 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nick53097 to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fabulous Image Quality. Dual card slots, resolution, noise performance, fast and accurate AF, decent battery life, a solid body that feels like it will stand years of use... Excellent dynamic range. A superb all round camera.
Cons:
A bit heavy. Live View not as nice as on Canon. Video not as good as Canon.

Coming from Canon I have taken a little while to get used to the D800e and as mentioned by a previous reviewer am only just getting used to putting lenses on correctly.

I have used 1 Series Canon's and 5D mkII etc etc and am super fussy about image quality. The D800e is right up there with super crisp (but natural) images with tons of detail and dynamic range. I'm sure Medium Format is better but for the money it's superb and surely as good as technology can currently deliver?

This is such a step up from my 5DmkII. I can say for sure that when used with good Nikon lenses such as the 24-70 and 14-24 you will be impressed. For me, the colours are very nice. I did prefer the output of Canon but as I've got used to processing the images in Lightroom over the last month.

Live View is a little bit of a disappointment coming from Canon as is the video but I have adapted and these niggles are not significant.

I waited until I'd taken several thousand exposures before reviewing and can simply sum up the performance as 'stunning'. I'm very pleased that I bought the 'e', no serious moire issues, a few occasions I've used the new moire reduction brush in LR and all taken care of.

Well worth the money and changing from Canon though I miss my 85L and 35L etc.

Sep 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
AlephOne

Registered: May 7, 2012
Review Date: Jul 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extreme resolution Rapid AF Ease of use
Cons:
Grip is expensive and its controls feel cheap Shows every defect in every lens :)

This is the first Nikon body I have bought. I am coming from Canon: 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark IV. Canon's highest resolution now is 22Mpixel. I wanted more...

I miss the quality of Canon's L series primes, especially the 50/1.2L (the Nikkor 50/1.4G has too many aberrations) and the 135/2L (I don't like the Nikkor 135/2D because of the DC). But I am pleasantly surprised by the image quality I am getting from the 24-70 and 70-200 VRII.

It takes a bit of getting used to the differences between the Canon and Nikon user interfaces - turning the lens the opposite direction to mount and dismount it is probably the most irritating. I do like the direct access buttons on the left; direct access to ISO, etc, is convenient. Menus are a little less convenient.

The image files are large, as you'd have to expect, but the lossless compression (new? I thought Nikon only supported lossy RAW compression in the past) works fine. I was pleased that I could stay with CS5 (no desire to move to CS6).

I've been accustomed to using pro bodies with integral grips for a while now, and so I bought the add-on grip for the D800E. I'm not impressed - it's expensive, but it feels cheap. The joystick is horrid. For the price, I'd expect better quality controls. Also, the Canon grips (last time I used them, which was on the original 5D) hold two batteries, not one - there's enough space that they could have allowed for a second battery, but they didn't.

Jul 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AlephOne to your Buddy List
Chestnut

Registered: Feb 1, 2005
Review Date: Jul 24, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic IQ, responsive, well built, light weight compared to pro bodies, dual card slots, dual format cards (CF & SDXC)
Cons:
Price, Left-side AF issue (no fault of body), wish FPS can increase with decreased file size (w/o grip and additional large battery).

First of all, I'm coming to this camera with the expectation of a D700 type camera with updated innards.

Wow! The responsiveness of this camera is beyond a D700, and closer to my D3. Of course the frame rate isn't quite up there, but it is pushing 36MP... I do wish we could get higher FPS simply by selecting either a smaller file size and/or DX crop.

Aside from that and my unfortunate left-side AF issue (now more of a Nikon Customer Service issue than a D800E body issue), the camera is a dream to use!

Extremely responsive, quick to drive any AF-S or AF-D lenses, and the quiet shutter option is nice (though I haven't used it much). The drive selector dial is much nicer to use now that it has tactile detents, and the whole camera, compared to the D700 or even the D3 just seems much more refined and thought out. the -/+ indicators are finally in the right direction by default (which to me is -/+, not +/-).

The Auto ISO function has definitely been improved with a floating minimum shutter speed based on focal length. I like it much better than just a set universal minimum/maximum.

The ergonomics have been reworked, and I am still getting used to it, but seems nice so far. The DOF preview button and the Fn buttons are placed much better, and the Fn button is far easier to access than previous cameras, and doesn't require me to change my grip. The rest of the body balances well with my lenses, from lighter weight short primes to the heavier and longer 400VR, the D800E feels right at home (unlike the D90 which feels a bit awkward on lenses larger than a 70-300VR).

Image quality is great, and moire hasn't been an issue for me so far. Higher ISO files are nice, and doesn't take much to make them very usable. The left-side AF backfocus issue hasn't really affected me too much yet. I try to revert back to "focus-recompose" if I need focus on the left side of the frame, and so far, it's been ok. It's inconvenient, but I can live with it till Nikon deals with this issue properly. The images from the camera/sensor are still beautiful.

The larger file size was still a surprise to me (but expected), since I'm coming from 12MP D3 and D90 & a D700 at work. Will need larger cards, and needed to upgrade my computer anyways, may as well add bigger drives.

The dual CF & SD card slots are nice - I have once brought the wrong card holder with me, and had only extra SD cards while I was carrying a D3. Having dual card slots sometimes just means I can use whatever type of cards I have at my disposal! (yeah, I know it's my fault, but it's nice to be able to pull an SD card from my point and shoot to use as back up if needed!)

I haven't bought a grip for it yet, since I am trying to lighten my overall load. So can't say much in terms of how the camera is with the grip.

Jul 24, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chestnut to your Buddy List
hotline

Registered: Apr 25, 2008
Review Date: Jul 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: An ocean of pixels, very sharp, fast focusing, quiet mirror, very good for panoramic 360°
Cons:
no one yet

This body is reserved for my Virtual Panoramic Tour (as professional), Amazing ! The response of this body is fast. I appreciate the quiet mirror. very good color range. Obviously, you need to shoot with a Nikkor 24~70 f2.8 nano and the Nikkor 70~200 f2.8 Nano. Uncompressed and 14 bits : 74 megapixels for a NEF. By the way, not really designed for fast shooting.

A first example in pano 360° : http://www.panohotline.com/samples/pano_mini_europ/

A second one : http://www.panohotline.com/web/pano_360_nikon_d800e/

A little bit expensive but, as usual, you pay for the quality ...

Jul 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add hotline to your Buddy List
zuman

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: May 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Gorgeous image files; great combination of compactness, light weight, and ruggedness; excellent ergonomics. Sharp!!!
Cons:
Relatively slow frame rate is a challenge for wildlife photography; serious computing power needed for editing.

The Nikon D800E is a spectacular tool that requires the user to proceed through a learning curve in order to achieve the best results. My D3 is far easier to use well than my D800E.
The D800E likes mid-range apertures, modest ISOs, and a steady hand. Under those conditions, it can deliver images like this hand-held with a workhorse lens like my original generation 70-200mm f/2.8:

I have had no focusing difficulties, but the frame rate is slow for wildlife photography. Nevertheless, on a recent wildlife project in Borneo I found myself using the 800 more and the 3 less as the trip progressed. The files are just that good.

My wildlife photography: www.pbase.com/zuman/wtwp

May 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zuman to your Buddy List
ifreriks

Registered: Jul 16, 2006
Review Date: May 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: High resolution Low noise High usable dynamic range User friendly buttons and menu settings (auto ISO)
Cons:
The price? Somewhat darker viewfinder in comparison with Canon 5D MK3 Maximum 4 fps

The Nikon D800E is simply a fantastic camera, both in terms of image quality and ease of use. Compared to the Nikon D700, not only the number of megapixels is three times as high, you have also gotten modern video capabilities.

For those who hesitate between the Nikon D800 or Nikon D800E: choose the Nikon D800E; the risk of visible (color) moiré is very small. And if you come across this once, it is easy to correct with the included Capture NX2.

See full review @

May 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ifreriks to your Buddy List
digital_eye

Registered: Feb 26, 2012
Review Date: May 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great colours and sharpness (D800E), responsive camera, feels very good in my small hands, better light metering system and white balance than in D700/D3, fast enough for every thing else than sports.
Cons:
Some Moire (I knew it before) ...

I bougth my D800E 3 weeks ago at my local Nikon dealer in Germany. I came from the D700 and D3 and I use the Nikon AF-S 24-70 and the AF-S 2,8/80-200mm and some Zeiss primes.
The D800E gives my really wonderful results with great sharpness, colours and a higher dynamic range than the D3 I used before.
The liveview is great for the work with my Zeiss lenses at open aperture, with the Zeiss ZF 2/100mm you can get very nice bokeh and great sharpness even at open aperture. I would say, even better than the D3, perhaps because of the missing AA Filter in the D800E.
For me, it's a great camera to work with open aperture because the lenses benefit a open aperture, when there is nothing like an AA filter to reduce sharpness.
Yes ... you can produce moire with the D800E and for someone who needs to take clean pictures of fine textures, it's perhaps not the right choise. But for landscapes and cityscapes, I really like the sharpness (without post-processing) I can easily afford.
As I shoot NEF, I'm not quite sure at the moment, which could be the best RAW converter for the D800 files (I use Camera RAW with Adobe Photoshop, Nikon Capture NX2 and a trial version of CaptureOne). The moire removal tool is the best (at least for the moment) at CaptureOne.

My conclusion is, that I never loved a Nikon DSLR more than the D800E. It has high dynamic range (and also replaced my Fuji S5pro), excellent sharpness even on pixel level, if you use fine lenses, better colours than the older Nikons and a fine and compact body.

May 9, 2012