Canon EOS 5D Mark III

• HDR shooting in-camera
• Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
• 29mins 59sec clip length in Full HD Movie
• Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
• Headphone port for audio monitoring
• 59ms standard shutter lag
• Transparent LCD viewfinder with 100% coverage
• 8.11cm (3.2”), 1.04 million-pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
• EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
• CF and SD card slots
• Silent control touch-pad area
• Dual-Axis Electronic Level

Trezeke

Registered: Jan 5, 2013
Review Date: Apr 25, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Almost everything.
Cons:
Not fully weather sealed. Cost

Best camera I ever owned. Tough built, although not 100% weather sealed. The initial investment is high but it was the money worthwhile.

Apr 25, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Trezeke to your Buddy List
Zorrophoto88

Registered: Jan 9, 2014
Review Date: Mar 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Features. menus and parameter set-up, full frame, quality build, excellent image resolution, easy to learn, AF multi-point, ISO performance vs. noise is excellent, reasonable fps, silent mode, dual memory options.
Cons:
initial expense, strap is uncomfortable, pixel count could be a little higher, would like to see the video split out to a separate model/family.

I waited for the 5DM3 to come out, and fought with myself to switch over to Nikon's higher pixel models. Did tons of research and comparison reading...in the end the professional feedback and test trials...stayed with Canon and my lenses. Camera is excellent for people, wedding and landscape work; sports and action is okay once practiced. It has a solid build; easy to learn all the menus/features. Images with ‘L’ lenses are sharp and vivid, I rarely use the HDR. I work in manual most of the time...easy access to changing ISO and white balance is fast and simple. Lots of buttons/short-cuts. And the ISO range to noise ratio, along with 2.8f lenses, allows for working in most low light conditions. AF is an improvement, complex set-up for alternate AF points. Weight not a concern. It is an excellent model as a first ‘full frame’ if you did not own the 5DM2 previously. Would have liked to see this unit cost a little less initially (get rid of the video or split out that feature). Possibly higher pixel count, but I can print up to 13x19” (printer limited for now) with great results. A pop-up flash was a concern for spot work, but I do drag my 580EX around most of the time for better results and fill flash. Very happy overall with the 5DM3 as amateur photographer, it is an excellent wedding camera and it should hold me for 3-4 years until I round out my lens collection (and then next models are released).

Mar 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zorrophoto88 to your Buddy List
lunacat

Registered: Jan 13, 2014
Review Date: Feb 17, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: One of the best camera I've owned. Great AF at last!
Cons:
Its price. Still some problem when focusing in low-light situations but always better than the 5DII...

After working a lot with a 1D III, mostly for sports, I wanted to have a higher MP and better low light management. I went for the 5DIII as the 5D II was a real no-go for me because of the bad AF.
I am really happy to be now shooting weddings with this camera, as you can see on my website: http://www.lunacatstudio.ch

Feb 17, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lunacat to your Buddy List
Jcjames

Registered: Jan 13, 2014
Review Date: Feb 8, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly good in low light which make impossible shots possible with excellent IQ without much noise. Excellent dynamic IQ with beautiful colours and great tonal balance, and with amazingly fast and accurate AF.
Cons:
No major downsides except it cost an arm and leg.

I have been using this for slightly over a year and it has not stopped surprising us with images which make everyone jump for joys. The images produced range from portraits, sports and landscape; it never fails to impress with beautiful and dynamic tonal balances and with amazingly vibrant colours, the AF is very fast that capturing MotoGP and F1 Grand Prix panning shots with relative ease, and low light shots are out of this world (noise level is very low or unnoticeable)

It is worth every single cent spent on it. Highly recommended.

Feb 8, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jcjames to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Jun 27, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, ergonomics, built
Cons:
Not fully weather sealed

Best camera I have taken to the field so far. Tough built, although not 100% weather sealed - given the price one would think Canon would have done that! AF system and ergonomics so much better than my old MkII.

Jun 27, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
solaris9000

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: Jun 25, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome AF, build quality, fast operation, high ISO performance.
Cons:
Expensive but that was expected anyway.

This is a top notch camera from Canon. They did a superb job with all aspects including AF, build quality, speed of operation, high res LCD, high ISO performance and more. Highly recommended.

Jun 25, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add solaris9000 to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 20, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast and accurate AF, build, full frame, light weight, image quality, silent mode
Cons:
price, black AF points, reliability

This is the best camera I ever owned. Takes fantastic pictures and nails the focus 95+% of the time for my usage.

The fact that it breaks with my 200f/2 and I have to send it back is a hassle.

My shutter died after 400 shots, have to send it back twice to get it fixed.

Jun 20, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: May 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, AF, image quality
Cons:
price, not 100% weather sealed

Wildlife pro photographer, this camera is my workhorse. Who said 5Ds where not for wildlife photographers?

Twice faster than the 5D II, the 5D III is my primary camera on the field (usually along a Canon 6D). On specific project I'm sometime using a 1D X but since I always carry everything on my back, I happen to work a lot more with the 5D III that can pretty much do it all, except really fast moving subject (like an eagle fishing).

The huge difference from the 5D II to the 5D III is the AF + the 6fps burst mode, that is really making it suitable for wildlife.

I'm totally satisfied with the quality of the camera, the only thing I would like in the future is:
- 100% weather sealing is really too much to ask for a 3000$+ camera?
- Higher Mpx count, look at what the D800e is capable of doing.
- More frame per second in video mode to get better slow motion video or even Raw video (I'm also wildlife filmmaker).
- Some kind of internal ND filter (again, for video).

You can check my work right there, Costa Rica, Kenya, USA, pretty much everything is done with 5Ds:

Best,
Emmanuel.

May 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Apr 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,949.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus, autofocus, autofocus; increased FPS; and low-light performance.
Cons:
No logical reason to exclude flash.

Having owned a 1D3, 5D2, 7D (currently) and a 50D, the biggest improvement to this product is autofocus. Increased FPS is a help also. Feels like a slightly bulbous 7D. Took me a while to procure but I am happy with the overall performance..

Apr 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
kyerthenomad

Registered: Nov 29, 2012
Review Date: Feb 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,975.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: improved auto focus over the mark ii, nicer view screen, a sexy camera
Cons:
certainly this is the finest fo the 5d series, but the jump from the mark i to the ii was bigger than the mark ii to the iii making room Canon for the mark iv?

This is a sexy camera and arguably the finest DSLR in the world right now.
The jump from the mark ii to the mark iii is significant in the auto focus (my 50 1.2 L now works beautifully). It focuses more quickly, especially in low light.
I also like the how if feels to hold over the mark ii. The menu is an improvement, as well as the view screen.

Three things that Canon didn't improve much from the mark ii
1. the ISO sensitivity from the mark i to the ii was huge! The ISO quality jump to the mark iii is significant. Grain on the mark iii at 6400 ISO is like 3200 ISO on the mark ii.
2. The video capabilities aren't that different on the mark iii (and the mark i has no video).
3. 21 megapixel for the mark ii, 22 for the mark iii (the mark i was 13).

I am happy that I spent $2975 for this camera. Its a significant jump up in the auto focus and shooting weddings with my mark ii using a wider angle prime lens and the mark iii with a more telephoto prime lens is a nice combination.

If you're a pro like me, get the upgrade! I probably waited longer than I needed.

Feb 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kyerthenomad to your Buddy List
tgillespie

Registered: Oct 21, 2011
Review Date: Jan 26, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Upgraded AF, Professional Build Quality, Faster Operation
Cons:
AF Illumination Point hard to see in the dark, Image Zoom button

Long time 5D Mark I and II user. Loved the sensor in each revision, but hated the slow/clunky feeling to the camera. The 5D III takes care of this. Canon finally put a professional touch on it. Granted, it doesn't compete speed wise with the 1DX, but I hardly ever need a camera that fast.

For my line of work, wedding photographer, the 5D III is absolutely the best camera for the job. Lots of colleagues using the D800, which is a solid machine too, but having bought into the Canon ecosystem a long time ago, I couldn't be more satisfied with my equipment setup.

I highly doubt it possible, but I wish they would have allowed users to toggle on/off the AF illumination point during the entire focus operation. I talk a bit more about why I don't think its possible on my 5D Mark III review: http://www.gillphotos.com/for-photographers/canon-5d-mark-iii-mini-review

Jan 26, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tgillespie to your Buddy List
AFC168

Registered: Oct 21, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,799.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Far more than upgrade to 5D II. Almost like a hole new line of small camera. HDR is great. AF is great. Don't HAVE to have a landscape and action camera any more. This is all in one.
Cons:

Initially, I thought this was just a tiny upgrade from the 5D II. I didn't upgrade for a long time until I got the itch from reading a bunch of positive reviews. I was lucky to get-it from Adorama on ebay for 2,799.99. I've used it for a few months now, and I must say it is a fantastic camera. Far more than just a 5D II upgrade ... that seems to be the 6D. This is a whole new all-in-one camera -- I no longer feel the need to have both an action and landscape camera. I just need the 5D III now.

Jan 12, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AFC168 to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Dec 17, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Brilliant autofocus system, nice LCD screen, great build, good for most of situations (events, landscape, macro, portraits), reactive and nervous, good control tools, very good image quality,
Cons:
still expensive...

With 5D3, Canon answered many customers concerns, no doubt about that. I remember reading all the forum posts asking for no more pixels, but better AF and speed, etc. As many users have noticed, the camera mixes the best of the 5D2 and the 7D.

True, the AF system is spectacular. It is flexible, fast and accurate, either in One Shot or Servo mode. Coming from a 7D, the system is quite familiar, and even better (so not to mention the conservative AF of 5D2). You can easily focus on a target without having to recompose thanks to the outer points and get more keepers. Thanks to its AF reliability, 5D3 has given a new life to some of my lenses, like the EF 50 mm f/1.4.

Sensor dust cleaning is much better than the one of 5D2 (which could drive me nervous). Shutter is quieter than on the 5D2, and even quieter with the silent mode. 6 FPS also makes the camera a nice tool for event photographing. Low light shooting is a dιfini te plus : pictures are clean or easy to PP up to 6400 and even 12500 (though smoothed by NR process).

I find HDR a very highly useful feature (just as the multi exposure mode).

Handling the camera is a pleasure and reminds of the 7D. I really like the grip which is covered with a special rubber. Everything in the build seems solid. The dual card slot is the least you can expect from a camera of that category and price.

AWB, skin tone work pretty well.

A brillant DSLR.

Cons: DR inferior to 6D, no built-in flash (fill-in or remote flash piloting), awkward illumination of viewfinder during focusing, no viewfinder following track of single AF point in Servo mode, no swivel screen, and no wifi for android/ipad control, slow live view autofocus, optional grip doesn't increase fps, no face detection tracking, lack of trap focus or focus peaking, no spot metering at the focus point, no gps, menu: no quick way of navigating from one category to another, sync speed of maximum 1/200 (please, Sir !),

Update: Made a mistake about navigation through menu : yes, you can easily pass from one category to another by pressing the Q button. There is a learning curve with this camera.

Dec 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
kaycephoto

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Review Date: Nov 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Improved AF (better in terms of both coverage & speed/reliability relative to 1Ds3), improved high-ISO performance (1/2 stop better RAW noise at ISO 1600 than 1DsIII, 1/3 stop better RAW noise at ISO 1600 than 5DmkII), much better LCD screen for image review, silent shooting mode is awesome, compatible with faster CF cards (older 1Ds3 couldn't take advantage of this), improved menu interface, build quality (relative to the 5D2)
Cons:
No AF-point linked spot-metering which is very important to me, viewfinder issues (black AF points hard to see in low-light situations, lack of pre-flash in AI servo mode makes seeing the tracking point impossible in dim light)

For weddings, event coverage & other general purpose photography, the 5D Mark III is very nearly the perfect camera, which is high-praise coming from a full-time pro used to Canon's 1-series bodies & who depends heavily on equipment to deliver consistent, predictable results..

It caught quite a bit of flack for being introduced at $3,499 but I actually think it is quite the value performer for its pricepoint - at a mid-level price far lower than what the 1Ds Mark III was introduced at ($7,999 I believe?), Canon's 5D Mark III delivers 98% of the same performance, while improving on the former full-frame champion in several key areas.. (I won't bother comparing this camera to the crippled & very limited 5D Mark II, as I really don't think these cameras were meant for the same crowd at all)

Most notably, the 5D Mark III sports an improved AF ability that is noticeably better than the 1Ds Mark III (which was definitely no slouch & my workhorse money-maker for years).. Lenses SNAP to focus on the 5D3 & I definitely noticed more consistently sharp photos from this camera.. The new 3.2 inch LCD screen was very useful for determining sharp photos as well, something I definitely missed on the 1Ds3 when I returned to using that..

That said, the smaller form factor than I was used to & viewfinder regression were big issues for me - I like shooting events with my eyes glued to the viewfinder & not being able to see the AF points half the time was a non-starter for me.. I also missed the AF-point linked spot metering feature (thanks Canon for crippling your products!) on the 5D3.

Ultimately I sold the 5D3 after a month because I found I could live with the 1Ds3's shortcomings more so than the 5D3's shortcomings, & I didn't find myself necessarily NEEDing the 5D3's improvements.. but, the 5D3 still remains one of the more complete digital SLR offerings on the market today & is a great value IMO - strongly recommended for 95% of shooters for sure. (I have no doubt that you'll hear most wedding shooters RAVE about this camera for the silent shutter feature & general performance offerings, it just wasn't for me.)

For Sample Photos from the 5D Mark III & more of my thoughts on Canon's EOS 5D Mark III, please read the my first impressions at: www.kaycephotography.com/blog-entries/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-first-impressions/

Nov 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kaycephoto to your Buddy List
Todd Klassy

Registered: Sep 27, 2010
Review Date: Nov 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Updated auto-focus system, image quality, low-light performance, low noise, etc.
Cons:
Auto-focus point illumination changed (and changed for the worse), inability to auto-focus with lenses + teleconverters at f/8, price is higher than it should be.

Simply put, the Canon EOS 5D Mark III is a superb camera in almost every regard. I've owned the Canon 20D, 50D, 5D, 5D Mark II, and 1D Mark III and I am very pleased with this particular camera; more so than the 5D Mark II.

Let me start by talking about the things I don't like, because they really get under my skin. For starters, the 5D Mark III is incapable of being able to use auto-focus when you use a combination of lenses and teleconverters at an aperture of f/8. This is especially odd because Canon has killed off its 1D line. One would think that they expect photographers now to use the 5D Mark III to shoot wildlife and sports, especially with its revamped auto-focus system. However, when you use a f/5.6 lens + a teleconverter you can NOT auto-focus. Huge bummer.

ALSO, and most troubling for me, is the revamped AF point illumination method. I learned after getting the camera that it uses a AF illumination method similar to that of the 7D, but it is radically different than any previous xxD series, 5D series, 1D series, and/or 1Ds series camera. What makes it so troublesome? The AF point is no longer highlighted in red when selecting an AF point and it is not solid red when using AI Servo mode. In low light circumstances and when you have to rapidly change AF points to change composition you get lost in the viewfinder trying to find the AF point. Even in brightly lit scenes where the subject is dark it is difficult to see easy. I do a lot of Montana photography and western photography which includes fast moving cowboys, native Americans dancing in powwows, wildlife, etc. and this issue affects every type of photography I do. Making cowboy photos is especially difficult compared to my 5D Mark II. It just is not nearly as intuitive as the method was with any of my previous cameras. It is VERY annoying.

These two issues are disappointing because if Canon had not erred in these matters the 5D Mark III would be one of the best Canon cameras I've ever owned. Now it is a camera that causes me to curse at times, especially in low-light circumstances when it is very hard to see the black AF point.

Now for the positive things; the camera's auto-focus is VERY snappy. Image quality is superb. Colors, contrast, etc. are awesome. I've owned dozens of Canon lenses, and when this camera is mated to one of Canon's newer zoom lenses it shines, so much so I no longer miss the image quality of my prime lenses.

To see how this camera shines, here is a small sampling of images I've taken with this camera (most with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM:

Click on the images to see a larger version.

Would I still recommend this camera? Yes. But if most of your photography is sports or wildlife I would encourage you to know what you're getting into.

Nov 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Todd Klassy to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Nov 8, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, image quality, features, dual cards, LCD, focusing system, customization, 2-way level, improved shape for holding, almost everything
Cons:
Awkward way of zooming in review and liveview, too expensive at launch (better now), few extra pixels over the 5DII

Simply a fantastic camera, a real upgrade to the 5DII in speed, AF, features, LCD screen, build, weatherproofing, dual card slots - everything really.

Very similar in use to the 7D the 5DIII has moved the 5 series on by a huge amount, this feels like a very modern product.

A bit overshadowed by the D800 it would have been nice to have more pixels than the 5DII, 1 meg makes very little IQ difference at low and medium ISO's

If you are on the fence and have a 5DII it is worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Nov 8, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 5D Mark III