Canon EOS 5D Mark III

• HDR shooting in-camera
• Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
• 29mins 59sec clip length in Full HD Movie
• Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
• Headphone port for audio monitoring
• 59ms standard shutter lag
• Transparent LCD viewfinder with 100% coverage
• 8.11cm (3.2”), 1.04 million-pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
• EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
• CF and SD card slots
• Silent control touch-pad area
• Dual-Axis Electronic Level

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

asiafish

Registered: Apr 18, 2013
Review Date: Oct 28, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile and fast AF system, great handling, robust build and terrific image quality.
Cons:
Big and heavy, but you know that. No interchangeable screens and poor manual focus using stock screen.

I've used the 6D for years and also use (and love) Leica rangefinders, but I added a 5D3 to my Canon outfit when I started doing more event work.

The 5D3 is an outstanding combination of capabilities and price (since the recent price drops), and while now four-years-old, with the exception of a few very minor nits this remains pretty much everything I could want in a DSLR. What are the nits?

The focusing screen cannot be changed (5D4 also has this issue) which is a problem for those who like using manual focus and reflex viewing with ultra-fast lenses like the 50mm f/1.2L (live view is terrific). I do this for low-light portraits and for that use the 6D is a better setup with the precision matte "S" screen.

AF system is a bit complex when first picking it up, but oh man is this thing a rocket once you pass the learning curve. This was the reason I bought my 5D3, as I would often want to grab a shot of someone in a crowd and with the simple 11-point AF system of the 6D I wouldn't be able to track my subject as he or she moved around. With the 5D3 I can quickly put a focusing point on my subject and then move around while the subject also moves around and keep my subject in focus, even with fast lenses and in moderate light. Who says weddings and events aren't sports?

Coming from the 6D I also love the build quality of the 5D3. I never found the 6D lacking in build quality, but the first time I handled the 5D3 I knew right away that this was a whole other level in terms of build quality. I've used and abused the 6D for more than 3 years, in rough weather, vibrating in a motorcycle tank bag and other such use and never had an issue, but the improved build quality of the 5D3 is very confidence inspiring.

Finally image quality is absolutely what I expected it to be. The 6D is better at high ISO (6400 and up), but up to 3200 there is very little difference other than the 5D3's slight resolution advantage. Color, noise (up to ISO 3200), dynamic range are all about equal, perhaps a hair better on the 5D3 though that may be resolution talking, but honestly both cameras offer more than I need as I never print larger than 20X30" and rarely go larger than 11X14", and even ISO 3200 shots from the 5D3 or ISO 6400 shots from the 6D are stunning at 11X14.

I bought this just after the 5D4 secs were leaked (August 2016) and carefully considering if the newer camera offered anything that would really make a difference in my photography. I wanted the higher-end AF system, but other than illuminating AF points (present on the 6D) there was really nothing that was worth an additional $1,000 to me. Sure, the dynamic range and increased resolution wouldn't hurt, but I've never really been limited by the 6D's sensor and so I went with the older model.

As I write this I've used the 5D3 alongside my 6D for two events (Rotary Club functions) and a long business trip where I left everything else at home except for the 5D3 and the EF 35mm f/1.4 mk II. With that setup, I photographed bars, a historic battlefield, the interior and exterior of a 19th century protected cruiser (USS Olympia) and 20th century battleship (USS New Jersey, and never once did I wish for any additional or different equipment. Sure, other lenses would have presented other views, but the 5D3 with a fast prime was a fantastic combination in all lights and conditions from harsh sunlight to available darkness.

Yes, the 5D3 is now 4-years-old, but I really think digital cameras have essentially hit a plateau where improvements are incremental and upgrades no longer mandatory.

Oct 28, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add asiafish to your Buddy List
dalephill2

Registered: Aug 26, 2003
Review Date: Jul 3, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Seems to meter beter, much more responsive-Quicker. Better focus, Photos seem to have slight more detail, Very good in low light, Feels better in my hands, Much more sophisticated.
Cons:
Focus system is intimidating, need to lean menu system, No popup flash

I have the 5D mark II which is a sweet camera in itself and this upgrade really does do justice to the new addition. Right off the bat it just feels better in my hands, Not sure if its a weight difference or the ergonomics, The new menu system is daunting, as well as the focus system, but is welcome over the markII. Its quicker and more responsive just a delight to use, and a pleasure to use in low light, it seems all I need to do is work on my composition now.

Jul 3, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dalephill2 to your Buddy List
scott_scheetz

Registered: Oct 31, 2012
Review Date: Mar 17, 2016 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, Good AF, great ISO performance, Well built, good dynamic range, excellent video quality, dual card slots
Cons:
AF feels slow (compared to a 1D), low-light AF performance is not as good as the 6D

Overall, this is a great camera. The image quality is fantastic. Noise performance and dynamic range are great (when you are willing to be patient and work with the files). I've shot at 12800 and 25600 many times and gotten perfectly usable results. Lower ISO shots look amazing. I've pushed files 3-4 stops in post and had very acceptable levels of noise in the shadows considering how much the file was pushed.

AF is great, and a huge improvement over the original 5D and 5D II. The AF coverage is much better and more accurate. I do have one issue with the AF system; it feels slow compared to a 1D, and hesitates. I shot basketball with the 5D III and the 1D IIn, and while the 5D III has better image quality and ISO performance, the 1D IIn had a better hit rate. There where times where the 5D would hunt and completely miss focus and the 1D would keep right on the players.

Video is excellent, especially with Magic Lantern installed allowing for RAW video recording.

The silent shutter shooting is fantastic, especially since it can do continuous 3fps silent shooting.

With the release of the 5DS, the 1DXII, and the successor of the Mark III around the corner, the price of the 5D III has really dropped in price, making it a no brainer to buy.

View some photos at full resolution taken with this camera in a set on Flickr:

Mar 17, 2016
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scott_scheetz to your Buddy List
Krosavcheg

Registered: Apr 9, 2006
Review Date: Sep 9, 2015 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,730.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Mirror box smaller than that of 5x series predecessors, viewfinder, LCD, AF improved
Cons:
Banding noise, noisy blue channel, video (yes, introducing video indeed degraded readout), abysmal colours, dynamic range, price, Canon's arrogance

At the risk of shooting myself in a foot now when I am trying to sell this camera I will go ahead and clarify my rating of the subject.

If you are wedding photographer, or you like shooting cute girls in available light, and especially so at night - this camera is for you. Stop reading and get it as it will serve you well.

If colour and tonality is important to you, you want to use it for studio work, or you are an individual largely uncomfortable with corporations churning out basically same product with only few pointless bells and whistles - avoid this at all cost.

With dynamic range well below its predecessor and few megapixels more just for the sake of sales, inability to correctly reproduce blues/greens (try to reduce saturation and drop exposure in the blue and you will see blotches like never before), inability to lift more than 1/3 of a stop in shadows before being haunted by banding noise, quickly overheating sensor during long exposures this is a sham.

It is still unable to use mirror lock up with timer and its build is a joke - too much lightweight plastic in strategic places.
AF is a definite improvement, however upon reading manual you will realise that you won't be able to use all focusing points with all lenses - some configurations will halve available focus points. This is how the new lenses will be forced down your throat.

So the final verdict is: This is what 5D MkII should have been. The improvements did not warrant a new camera. As such, it is a prime example of planned obsolescence and forced consumerism from a desperate Japanese corporation with only money in mind.

Perhaps it is unfair to give it such a bad score since I did enjoy shooting using the camera, but I have spent my honestly earned money in hope of an improvement and was thoroughly disappointed, so morally I win.

Sep 9, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Krosavcheg to your Buddy List
Annapurna

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Jul 6, 2015 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great performance. More reliable auto focus, build quality, excellent high ISO performance, picture quality and sharpness. A better and clearer viewfinder.
Cons:
Grip is a little too big for my hand. Too high price for a new camera

I finaly bought one with low shutter Counts and i perfect condition. First I could not see much difference from the mark II. But after I while I noticed the difference in the performance.
I still think the Price of a new one is too high. I payed 1500US which is fair for a used one.

Jul 6, 2015
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Annapurna to your Buddy List
chets954

Registered: Aug 9, 2012
Review Date: Dec 31, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible Auto Focus, build quality, excellent high ISO performance, picture quality and sharpness
Cons:
Price, AF Illumination Point hard to see in the dark, Image Zoom button

Love the camera! Very reliable and is a workhorse. It is finely crafted to address the needs of the modern photographer.

Incredible Auto Focus, build quality, excellent high ISO performance, picture quality and sharpness.

On the downside, do not like the black AF illumination, there is a lot of autofocus setting you need to go through to really understand what is the right setting for you and the lens your are using (not a bad thing but it can be complicated)

Dec 31, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chets954 to your Buddy List
Trezeke

Registered: Jan 5, 2013
Review Date: Apr 25, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Almost everything.
Cons:
Not fully weather sealed. Cost

Best camera I ever owned. Tough built, although not 100% weather sealed. The initial investment is high but it was the money worthwhile.

Apr 25, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Trezeke to your Buddy List
Zorrophoto88

Registered: Jan 9, 2014
Review Date: Mar 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Features. menus and parameter set-up, full frame, quality build, excellent image resolution, easy to learn, AF multi-point, ISO performance vs. noise is excellent, reasonable fps, silent mode, dual memory options.
Cons:
initial expense, strap is uncomfortable, pixel count could be a little higher, would like to see the video split out to a separate model/family.

I waited for the 5DM3 to come out, and fought with myself to switch over to Nikon's higher pixel models. Did tons of research and comparison reading...in the end the professional feedback and test trials...stayed with Canon and my lenses. Camera is excellent for people, wedding and landscape work; sports and action is okay once practiced. It has a solid build; easy to learn all the menus/features. Images with ‘L’ lenses are sharp and vivid, I rarely use the HDR. I work in manual most of the time...easy access to changing ISO and white balance is fast and simple. Lots of buttons/short-cuts. And the ISO range to noise ratio, along with 2.8f lenses, allows for working in most low light conditions. AF is an improvement, complex set-up for alternate AF points. Weight not a concern. It is an excellent model as a first ‘full frame’ if you did not own the 5DM2 previously. Would have liked to see this unit cost a little less initially (get rid of the video or split out that feature). Possibly higher pixel count, but I can print up to 13x19” (printer limited for now) with great results. A pop-up flash was a concern for spot work, but I do drag my 580EX around most of the time for better results and fill flash. Very happy overall with the 5DM3 as amateur photographer, it is an excellent wedding camera and it should hold me for 3-4 years until I round out my lens collection (and then next models are released).

Mar 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zorrophoto88 to your Buddy List
lunacat

Registered: Jan 13, 2014
Review Date: Feb 17, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: One of the best camera I've owned. Great AF at last!
Cons:
Its price. Still some problem when focusing in low-light situations but always better than the 5DII...

After working a lot with a 1D III, mostly for sports, I wanted to have a higher MP and better low light management. I went for the 5DIII as the 5D II was a real no-go for me because of the bad AF.
I am really happy to be now shooting weddings with this camera, as you can see on my website: http://www.lunacatstudio.ch

Feb 17, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add lunacat to your Buddy List
Jcjames

Registered: Jan 13, 2014
Review Date: Feb 8, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly good in low light which make impossible shots possible with excellent IQ without much noise. Excellent dynamic IQ with beautiful colours and great tonal balance, and with amazingly fast and accurate AF.
Cons:
No major downsides except it cost an arm and leg.

I have been using this for slightly over a year and it has not stopped surprising us with images which make everyone jump for joys. The images produced range from portraits, sports and landscape; it never fails to impress with beautiful and dynamic tonal balances and with amazingly vibrant colours, the AF is very fast that capturing MotoGP and F1 Grand Prix panning shots with relative ease, and low light shots are out of this world (noise level is very low or unnoticeable)

It is worth every single cent spent on it. Highly recommended.

Feb 8, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jcjames to your Buddy List
rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Jun 27, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, ergonomics, built
Cons:
Not fully weather sealed

Best camera I have taken to the field so far. Tough built, although not 100% weather sealed - given the price one would think Canon would have done that! AF system and ergonomics so much better than my old MkII.

Jun 27, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
solaris9000

Registered: Jun 3, 2007
Review Date: Jun 25, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome AF, build quality, fast operation, high ISO performance.
Cons:
Expensive but that was expected anyway.

This is a top notch camera from Canon. They did a superb job with all aspects including AF, build quality, speed of operation, high res LCD, high ISO performance and more. Highly recommended.

Jun 25, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add solaris9000 to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 20, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast and accurate AF, build, full frame, light weight, image quality, silent mode
Cons:
price, black AF points, reliability

This is the best camera I ever owned. Takes fantastic pictures and nails the focus 95+% of the time for my usage.

The fact that it breaks with my 200f/2 and I have to send it back is a hassle.

My shutter died after 400 shots, have to send it back twice to get it fixed.

Jun 20, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
dustnet

Registered: Jul 30, 2008
Review Date: May 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, AF, image quality
Cons:
price, not 100% weather sealed

Wildlife pro photographer, this camera is my workhorse. Who said 5Ds where not for wildlife photographers?

Twice faster than the 5D II, the 5D III is my primary camera on the field (usually along a Canon 6D). On specific project I'm sometime using a 1D X but since I always carry everything on my back, I happen to work a lot more with the 5D III that can pretty much do it all, except really fast moving subject (like an eagle fishing).

The huge difference from the 5D II to the 5D III is the AF + the 6fps burst mode, that is really making it suitable for wildlife.

I'm totally satisfied with the quality of the camera, the only thing I would like in the future is:
- 100% weather sealing is really too much to ask for a 3000$+ camera?
- Higher Mpx count, look at what the D800e is capable of doing.
- More frame per second in video mode to get better slow motion video or even Raw video (I'm also wildlife filmmaker).
- Some kind of internal ND filter (again, for video).

You can check my work right there, Costa Rica, Kenya, USA, pretty much everything is done with 5Ds:

Best,
Emmanuel.

May 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dustnet to your Buddy List
buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Apr 22, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,949.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus, autofocus, autofocus; increased FPS; and low-light performance.
Cons:
No logical reason to exclude flash.

Having owned a 1D3, 5D2, 7D (currently) and a 50D, the biggest improvement to this product is autofocus. Increased FPS is a help also. Feels like a slightly bulbous 7D. Took me a while to procure but I am happy with the overall performance..

Apr 22, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
kyerthenomad

Registered: Nov 29, 2012
Review Date: Feb 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,975.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: improved auto focus over the mark ii, nicer view screen, a sexy camera
Cons:
certainly this is the finest fo the 5d series, but the jump from the mark i to the ii was bigger than the mark ii to the iii making room Canon for the mark iv?

This is a sexy camera and arguably the finest DSLR in the world right now.
The jump from the mark ii to the mark iii is significant in the auto focus (my 50 1.2 L now works beautifully). It focuses more quickly, especially in low light.
I also like the how if feels to hold over the mark ii. The menu is an improvement, as well as the view screen.

Three things that Canon didn't improve much from the mark ii
1. the ISO sensitivity from the mark i to the ii was huge! The ISO quality jump to the mark iii is significant. Grain on the mark iii at 6400 ISO is like 3200 ISO on the mark ii.
2. The video capabilities aren't that different on the mark iii (and the mark i has no video).
3. 21 megapixel for the mark ii, 22 for the mark iii (the mark i was 13).

I am happy that I spent $2975 for this camera. Its a significant jump up in the auto focus and shooting weddings with my mark ii using a wider angle prime lens and the mark iii with a more telephoto prime lens is a nice combination.

If you're a pro like me, get the upgrade! I probably waited longer than I needed.

Feb 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kyerthenomad to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 5D Mark III