Canon EOS 5D Mark III

HDR shooting in-camera
Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
29mins 59sec clip length in Full HD Movie
Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
Headphone port for audio monitoring
59ms standard shutter lag
Transparent LCD viewfinder with 100% coverage
8.11cm (3.2), 1.04 million-pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
CF and SD card slots
Silent control touch-pad area
Dual-Axis Electronic Level

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4

annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Apr 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High usable dynamic range Low noise at high speed Good AF Only 22 MP
Cons:
Only 22 MP High price

I made many shots to see how the AF is and how good the noise performance is. printed A3+ prints to see pictures made at 10,800 ISO. I used Imatest to make a complete test.

From ISO 6400, the resolution decreases more strongly at the Canon 5D MK2 than the Canon 5D MK3. The noise performances of the Canon 5D MK3 are better, the profit is between 1 and 2 stops, depending on RAW or JPEG. A major advancement, about 2 stops at ISO 100, is made in the usable dynamic range. In addition, the camera body is greatly improved. The frame rate is increased and the grip is improved. The AF system meets high expectations. You don't see noise at 10,800 ISO, A3+ prints.

After familiarization, it is a pleasure to work with the 61 AF sensors, the AF speed is high and fast moving objects are properly followed.

My complete test: http://www.camerastuffreview.com/en/component/content/article/344-canon-5d-mk3-test

Apr 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List
Makaveli6103

Registered: Oct 14, 2010
Review Date: Apr 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, Build, Quiet Shutter, Touch Pad, Dual CF + SD Card, Better ISO capabilities, IQ
Cons:
Price....

Initially pre-ordered from Amazon, but the f'ed it up. So, I ended up getting one from MPEX.com (which I highly recommend).

I came from a Canon 5Dc and have used a Mark II here and there. This camera is a big step forward in the right direction. First the build quality great and feels good in the hands. There is a little rubber area for your thumb on the back that is great.

Next the AF system. Wow! What an upgrade from my 9 Points on my 5Dc. I have played around with it tracking animals and such. With my old 5D I probably got around 45% in focus. Now I get around 70-80% in focus. But I am still reading the book to understand all of the different AF functions.

Being able to customize the buttons is a great feature I did not have on my 5Dc. The zoom button was moved for some reason and do not like how it is now. So I moved zoom to the set button.

Dual CF + SD card is awesome. Touch pad controls on dial while recording a movie is genius. Same battery as Mark II is a great thing.

I regretting paying $3500 for the camera at first. But when I got it in my hands and saw what it was capable of, it was worth it.

Apr 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Makaveli6103 to your Buddy List
roycp

Registered: Mar 29, 2012
Review Date: Mar 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build and attention to detail, quiet shutter mode, AF. Noise control from ISO 100 to 400. Most improtantly IQ.
Cons:
All the things the Mark II should have had. Price, but I still paid it..

Pre-ordered on March 18th, arrived in Cameraworld on the 19th so I have had some time to check out the handling & features.

Reassuring build and a joy to use, a step up from the 5D2, and learnt from the 7D (both now sold to pay for the 5D3).

AF is great, you need to spend some time with the book and practice to get the best from it, at least I did.

I have no interest in video so there was considerable soul searching to upgrade the 5D2 for which I found the IQ perfect for my needs. The 5D3 moved this on some more, side by side it is possible to see the difference on a big screen.

My preferred photography is macro with insects, and being quiet certainly helps, as does the speed of focus especially at the centre points.

It's a lot of money for lots of little steps forward - but I have no regrets parting with two bodies and settling for this one.

Just wish Adobe would hurry up with RAW support for Lightroom...

Mar 29, 2012