Canon EOS 5D Mark III

HDR shooting in-camera
Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
29mins 59sec clip length in Full HD Movie
Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
Headphone port for audio monitoring
59ms standard shutter lag
Transparent LCD viewfinder with 100% coverage
8.11cm (3.2), 1.04 million-pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
CF and SD card slots
Silent control touch-pad area
Dual-Axis Electronic Level

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

Lunatique

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: May 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: -Excellent high ISO performance -Improved AF system with more flexibility -Enough resolution for aggressive cropping -Good ergonomics and flexible controls
Cons:
-AI Focus reaction time can be faster -Would love to have on-camera flash with rotatable flash head -Can't customize what information I want to show during playback on LCD screen

My full review includes sample photos gallery and video shootouts with two other camera: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/about_me/wordpress/?p=1669

May 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lunatique to your Buddy List
Fred Miranda
Admin

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: May 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Build quality - New AF system - Lower noise at ISO 6400 and above - Better and bigger LCD - 6 FPS - 100% viewfinder
Cons:
- Small resolution change - No sensor improvement at base ISO.

I just had the time of my life testing out two incredible new cameras, the Canon 5D Mark III and the Nikon D800. I took them to Yosemite and Mono Lake for a little over a week and would like to share with you my personal review.
Hope you enjoy it!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Miranda to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Apr 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: terrific AF,Great lowlight ability,great high ISO especially at extreme ISO levels,build quality,excellent image quality
Cons:
price,would like the AF points to remain lit

I was a big fan of the 5D2 but 3 years later this is a worthy upgrade...the AF is head and shoulders better,the low light sensitivity and high ISO levels are outstanding and image quality remains top notch.Would I have liked it to have been a bit cheaper?Yes,but I can say that about most every piece of tech gear I buy sadly.All in all a great upgrade!

Apr 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Apr 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF!!!, ISO, They didn't increase pixel, feel in my palm
Cons:

I am a wedding photographer. So I am not the right person if you want to know more about how this camera deals with videography.
For me the most 2 important updates FOR ME are the AF and the ISO.

AF:

Probably the biggest complain about the previous Canon 5Ds is their slow and inaccurate AF in low light. The fact: Canon has corrected this. You no longer have to focus with the center AF point to get good result most of the time!

ISO:

Awesome! What can I say...? One of the best up to date in the market. You don't nee fast prime lenses to get amazing photos at low light! So this way you can save on lenses and buy this camera. I have the Canon 24-70mm and I get amazing results. It is amazing with my 70-200mm!

You may want to look at the Nikon line up. They have great ISO as well!

The camera is slightly higher priced when you compare it to Nikon comparable Nikon models however keep in mind that Canon lenses are generally cheaper!

The point is that this is a great camera for wedding photographers. You can see some Canon 5D Mark III wedding photos from last weekend wedding here: http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/blog-home-wedding-photography/villa-woodbine-wedding-photos/

Apr 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Apr 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1 Series performance at a highly reduced price.
Cons:
None yet.

I have had this camera for about a week and put just over 6000 images through it.
Incredible machine.

I have used it to track Ferrari's Porsches and a few Lamborghini's at a track day yesterday and it did not miss a beat.
In fact the hit miss ratio exceeded my 1DmkIIn..easily.

I have had 1 Series cameras generally and my last full frame was two 5DmkII's. Being a professional photographer i like to put the camera through its paces.

The one thing that has got me very impressed with this unit is the incredible focusing system. I have three words... WELL DONE CANON.
Its about time they incorporated such a system in a non 1 series body..much appreciated.

The noise and image quality is superb.
Overall I rate this as 10 stars all the way.

If I have to be critical in my observations, the frame rate of shooting (6 fps) is perfect, but it does fall off to around 4.5 fps if the battery power falls below 30%.
Installing a freshly charged battery brings the fps back up to 6.
Maybe I need to get a battery grip and load it with two batteries, see if that makes a difference.
Apart form that, the camera is the BETS VALUE for money.

Apr 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
s4s4s4

Registered: Dec 21, 2003
Review Date: Apr 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, speed, AF, # OF PIXELS!
Cons:
Spot meter not attached AF point.

If the spot meter worked like $3500 camera should, it would be absolute perfection.

Apr 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add s4s4s4 to your Buddy List
susi

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Apr 7, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent ISO, AlServo Tracking, quick focal system, easy menus, new preview layout, Dual Card slots, HDR
Cons:

Best so far in the Canon line up of none 1D cameras. I think the alservo tracking is on par with my MklV and the high ISO , low noise is excellent. Focal system is fast and accurate at the frame rate is all I need. I shot soccer with it the first week and it performed as well as my MKlV. I like the low weight and solid build. Love the new round grip for a good hold on the side of the camera. I posted some low light with free downloads on my web site at http://susilawson.zenfolio.com so you can download and see the low noise your self. I think you will be very happy with this camera! Glad I stuck with Canon!

Apr 7, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add susi to your Buddy List
Jeff Kingston

Registered: Aug 2, 2007
Review Date: Apr 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I still own a 5DM2 which now moves to the role of backup. The MK3 is better in every way: high iso performance, AF, menu structure, dual card slots so you can have instant backup on SD new features such as HDR. This camera is well worth the upgrade.
Cons:
Honestly, I can find nothing to criticize.

What is interesting to me is that the internet dialog about this camera has missed so much of its goodness. There is a sharpness to its files that pleases me; color rendition is improved; metering improved. I think what has been missed is that this is a whole new camera--not a MK2 warmed over. The changes are many and all for the good. Here are few more: 100% view finder; AF controls in a dedicated menu; side by side comparisons in playback; comprehensive flash control on the camera itself; bigger more convenient depth of field preview button. To my way of thinking, Canon produced an ideal camera--all of the goodness of the 1 Series shrunk into the body of the 5 and then some. It's too bad a lot of megapixel counters seem to have overlooked the goodness of this piece of equipment.

Apr 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Kingston to your Buddy List
markch

Registered: May 31, 2010
Review Date: Apr 5, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Auto focus, Improved ISO performance, IQ, Build
Cons:
Price, playback zoom functionality was better on 7D

I pre-ordered the 5D mark III at the beginning of March. The camera arrived a month later.

The camera is superb. I enjoy wildlife photography and have been happily using a 7D. I went photographing birds yesterday morning to test the camera. The auto focus is a pleasure to use and latches on very quickly. (I still have to work through the manual to get to grips with using it properly but was more than happy with the basic performance)

As we arrived at dawn the light was still very poor and I was shooting at high ISO very successfully. The auto focus using a ef 500 f4 in low light was also very good.

I have same sample shots at http://photo.net/photos/markc in the Marievale Bird Sanctuary section.

In general, I can highly recommend the camera - a pleasure to use!

Apr 5, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markch to your Buddy List
annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Apr 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High usable dynamic range Low noise at high speed Good AF Only 22 MP
Cons:
Only 22 MP High price

I made many shots to see how the AF is and how good the noise performance is. printed A3+ prints to see pictures made at 10,800 ISO. I used Imatest to make a complete test.

From ISO 6400, the resolution decreases more strongly at the Canon 5D MK2 than the Canon 5D MK3. The noise performances of the Canon 5D MK3 are better, the profit is between 1 and 2 stops, depending on RAW or JPEG. A major advancement, about 2 stops at ISO 100, is made in the usable dynamic range. In addition, the camera body is greatly improved. The frame rate is increased and the grip is improved. The AF system meets high expectations. You don't see noise at 10,800 ISO, A3+ prints.

After familiarization, it is a pleasure to work with the 61 AF sensors, the AF speed is high and fast moving objects are properly followed.

My complete test: http://www.camerastuffreview.com/en/component/content/article/344-canon-5d-mk3-test

Apr 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List
Makaveli6103

Registered: Oct 14, 2010
Review Date: Apr 1, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, Build, Quiet Shutter, Touch Pad, Dual CF + SD Card, Better ISO capabilities, IQ
Cons:
Price....

Initially pre-ordered from Amazon, but the f'ed it up. So, I ended up getting one from MPEX.com (which I highly recommend).

I came from a Canon 5Dc and have used a Mark II here and there. This camera is a big step forward in the right direction. First the build quality great and feels good in the hands. There is a little rubber area for your thumb on the back that is great.

Next the AF system. Wow! What an upgrade from my 9 Points on my 5Dc. I have played around with it tracking animals and such. With my old 5D I probably got around 45% in focus. Now I get around 70-80% in focus. But I am still reading the book to understand all of the different AF functions.

Being able to customize the buttons is a great feature I did not have on my 5Dc. The zoom button was moved for some reason and do not like how it is now. So I moved zoom to the set button.

Dual CF + SD card is awesome. Touch pad controls on dial while recording a movie is genius. Same battery as Mark II is a great thing.

I regretting paying $3500 for the camera at first. But when I got it in my hands and saw what it was capable of, it was worth it.

Apr 1, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Makaveli6103 to your Buddy List
roycp

Registered: Mar 29, 2012
Review Date: Mar 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build and attention to detail, quiet shutter mode, AF. Noise control from ISO 100 to 400. Most improtantly IQ.
Cons:
All the things the Mark II should have had. Price, but I still paid it..

Pre-ordered on March 18th, arrived in Cameraworld on the 19th so I have had some time to check out the handling & features.

Reassuring build and a joy to use, a step up from the 5D2, and learnt from the 7D (both now sold to pay for the 5D3).

AF is great, you need to spend some time with the book and practice to get the best from it, at least I did.

I have no interest in video so there was considerable soul searching to upgrade the 5D2 for which I found the IQ perfect for my needs. The 5D3 moved this on some more, side by side it is possible to see the difference on a big screen.

My preferred photography is macro with insects, and being quiet certainly helps, as does the speed of focus especially at the centre points.

It's a lot of money for lots of little steps forward - but I have no regrets parting with two bodies and settling for this one.

Just wish Adobe would hurry up with RAW support for Lightroom...

Mar 29, 2012