Canon EOS 5D Mark III

HDR shooting in-camera
Full HD Movie shooting with ALL-I or IPB compression
29mins 59sec clip length in Full HD Movie
Timecode setting for HD Movie shooting
Headphone port for audio monitoring
59ms standard shutter lag
Transparent LCD viewfinder with 100% coverage
8.11cm (3.2), 1.04 million-pixel Clear View II LCD Screen
EOS Integrated Cleaning System (EICS)
CF and SD card slots
Silent control touch-pad area
Dual-Axis Electronic Level

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

surf monkey

Registered: May 23, 2005
Review Date: Jul 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Faster & more responsive overall, Excellent AF system, Better handling, More customizable buttons, Excellent high ISO IQ, Silent mode shutter, Better LCD, Headphone port
Cons:
Lack of AF point illumination, Slow SD card performance, Base ISO noise, Spot meter center point only, Image review zoom, No built-in flash, No continuous video AF, No true HDMI, no interchangeable focus screens

The pros far outweigh the cons for me. Most of the cons above are small matters compared to the huge advantages of the new AF and better handling over the 5D2. The AF point illumination issue is a puzzling omission by Canon. Some users just hate it. For me it's a minor annoyance, but Canon really did blow it with this issue on an otherwise awesome AF system.
I'm only an avid hobbyist with only a few side photography jobs a year, but it meets all my expectations for a DSLR.
It isn't perfect, but as close as it gets for me.

I gave it a 9 rating, but its more like a 9.4

Jul 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add surf monkey to your Buddy List
cgi_photo

Registered: Mar 27, 2008
Review Date: Jun 29, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: AF!!!, build, feel, IQ, viewfinder, feel
Cons:
maybe a bit pricey

Having used a 5D mII for more than 3 years or so, I hoped like many for an AF imprvment - the rest of the cam was good or very good.

5D mIII:
I took it in my hand, pushed the release button, the cam focused and I loved it Smile
the AF system is just great - there are hardly any out of focus pictures anymore. I find the IQ also slightly better, especially the shades and skin tones (using DPP). I'm thankful that Canon didn't raise the megapixel by much - it saved me money for a faster PC Wink

this digital camera is the first one that I give a perfect "10"

Jun 29, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cgi_photo to your Buddy List
dehowie

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Jun 7, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus,build,battery life,viewfinder,weight.
Cons:
Pricey.

Having used the camera now over a few months in every condition from bright to full night at hi ISO I love this camera.
I've got 2 1Dmk4s and other than FPS and weather sealing/build it competes very well on every level winning in some aspects.
Best AF ive ever used..it's accuracy with the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 still surprises me giving a far higher dead on rate then I've seen.
IQ s beautiful with good to excellent Hi ISO performance.
Buffer is great in JPG but could be bigger in RAW but still sufficient for 98% of the time.
Overall a brilliant tool for a wide variety of subjects, sport to still and from day to night.
Highly recommended but the AF is just brilliant and if you use 1.2 and 1.0 lenses it's a must get camera.

Jun 7, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dehowie to your Buddy List
ChrisRD

Registered: May 19, 2009
Review Date: May 30, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF, IQ, AF, great user interface, AF, High ISO performance, AF...did I mention AF?
Cons:

I think many of us were hoping for the successor to the 5D2 to be something with at least equivalent IQ and much improved AF. IMO the 5D3 delivers that and more.

Since switching to digital I've owned a few other Canon dSLRs including the 40D, 7D, 5D, 5D2 and 1D3. The 5D3 is by far my favorite digital body so far. The AF is excellent...very customizable and very accurate (even better than the 1D3 IMO). The camera is much more responsive than the previous 5D models and IQ in upper ISOs is the best I've seen from any Canon camera while low ISOs are still excellent. The camera has a very intuitive interface and is just a joy to shoot with...I actually get excited to use it. It's also simplified my gear bag now...I can cover all of my photographic needs with one camera body (something I was having a tough time doing since switching to digital).

Canon really got this one right IMO.

May 30, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ChrisRD to your Buddy List
avgshooter

Registered: May 24, 2012
Review Date: May 24, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: - AF performance - IQ at high iso - Great LCD - 6FPS
Cons:
- Price

The AF on the 5D2 seems like it was from the stone age when compared to the 5D3. I mean its fantastic and almost worth canon's asking price.

It takes a small time to adjust to the sheer number of AF points and complexity of the system, but once you are familliar with the system you'll be able to track subjects with confidence. One particular standout feature is the focus points can be set to different orientation.

Anyway, the build quality is excellent as you'd expect from canon and feels even better than the already very good 5D2.

The only gripe I have is the price considering the D800 is cheaper by a not inconsiderable amount. If it weren't for the excellent canon lenses I'd consider switching over.

May 24, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add avgshooter to your Buddy List
AGeoJO

Registered: Jul 8, 2003
Review Date: May 22, 2012 Recommend? | Price paid: $3,499.00

Pros: AF responsiveness and accuracy, accurate metering, high ISO capability, FPS, silent shutter mode, LCD display, customability, etc.
Cons:
Considering past prices and improvement built into this camera, the price seemed to be reasonable. However, relative to that of the nearest competitor, the price is actually a tad too high.

I have had and used quite a few Canon DSLR cameras, including the professional-grade bodies, such as 1Ds Mark I through III and 1D Mark II through IV, which were more expensive than this camera. I have not been so enthusiastic about any camera than with the 5D Mark III. So, for sure, it is not because of the price and not because it is a new camera, but there are a lot of features built into this Canon 5D Mark III that I simply love and tremendously enjoy. Enough so and it makes me want to go out, be creative and take pictures. This is not a review of the camera but just a blurb about this, in my honest opinion, a great camera. Is it the best camera out there? No, not really but what is?

Here is a link of images captured with this camera:

May 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AGeoJO to your Buddy List
Lunatique

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: May 9, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: -Excellent high ISO performance -Improved AF system with more flexibility -Enough resolution for aggressive cropping -Good ergonomics and flexible controls
Cons:
-AI Focus reaction time can be faster -Would love to have on-camera flash with rotatable flash head -Can't customize what information I want to show during playback on LCD screen

My full review includes sample photos gallery and video shootouts with two other camera: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/about_me/wordpress/?p=1669

May 9, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lunatique to your Buddy List
Fred Miranda
Admin

Registered: Dec 30, 2001
Review Date: May 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: - Build quality - New AF system - Lower noise at ISO 6400 and above - Better and bigger LCD - 6 FPS - 100% viewfinder
Cons:
- Small resolution change - No sensor improvement at base ISO.

I just had the time of my life testing out two incredible new cameras, the Canon 5D Mark III and the Nikon D800. I took them to Yosemite and Mono Lake for a little over a week and would like to share with you my personal review.
Hope you enjoy it!

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Miranda to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Apr 21, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: terrific AF,Great lowlight ability,great high ISO especially at extreme ISO levels,build quality,excellent image quality
Cons:
price,would like the AF points to remain lit

I was a big fan of the 5D2 but 3 years later this is a worthy upgrade...the AF is head and shoulders better,the low light sensitivity and high ISO levels are outstanding and image quality remains top notch.Would I have liked it to have been a bit cheaper?Yes,but I can say that about most every piece of tech gear I buy sadly.All in all a great upgrade!

Apr 21, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Apr 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: AF!!!, ISO, They didn't increase pixel, feel in my palm
Cons:

I am a wedding photographer. So I am not the right person if you want to know more about how this camera deals with videography.
For me the most 2 important updates FOR ME are the AF and the ISO.

AF:

Probably the biggest complain about the previous Canon 5Ds is their slow and inaccurate AF in low light. The fact: Canon has corrected this. You no longer have to focus with the center AF point to get good result most of the time!

ISO:

Awesome! What can I say...? One of the best up to date in the market. You don't nee fast prime lenses to get amazing photos at low light! So this way you can save on lenses and buy this camera. I have the Canon 24-70mm and I get amazing results. It is amazing with my 70-200mm!

You may want to look at the Nikon line up. They have great ISO as well!

The camera is slightly higher priced when you compare it to Nikon comparable Nikon models however keep in mind that Canon lenses are generally cheaper!

The point is that this is a great camera for wedding photographers. You can see some Canon 5D Mark III wedding photos from last weekend wedding here: http://www.haringphotography.com/blog/blog-home-wedding-photography/villa-woodbine-wedding-photos/

Apr 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Apr 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1 Series performance at a highly reduced price.
Cons:
None yet.

I have had this camera for about a week and put just over 6000 images through it.
Incredible machine.

I have used it to track Ferrari's Porsches and a few Lamborghini's at a track day yesterday and it did not miss a beat.
In fact the hit miss ratio exceeded my 1DmkIIn..easily.

I have had 1 Series cameras generally and my last full frame was two 5DmkII's. Being a professional photographer i like to put the camera through its paces.

The one thing that has got me very impressed with this unit is the incredible focusing system. I have three words... WELL DONE CANON.
Its about time they incorporated such a system in a non 1 series body..much appreciated.

The noise and image quality is superb.
Overall I rate this as 10 stars all the way.

If I have to be critical in my observations, the frame rate of shooting (6 fps) is perfect, but it does fall off to around 4.5 fps if the battery power falls below 30%.
Installing a freshly charged battery brings the fps back up to 6.
Maybe I need to get a battery grip and load it with two batteries, see if that makes a difference.
Apart form that, the camera is the BETS VALUE for money.

Apr 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
s4s4s4

Registered: Dec 21, 2003
Review Date: Apr 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, speed, AF, # OF PIXELS!
Cons:
Spot meter not attached AF point.

If the spot meter worked like $3500 camera should, it would be absolute perfection.

Apr 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add s4s4s4 to your Buddy List
susi

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Apr 7, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent ISO, AlServo Tracking, quick focal system, easy menus, new preview layout, Dual Card slots, HDR
Cons:

Best so far in the Canon line up of none 1D cameras. I think the alservo tracking is on par with my MklV and the high ISO , low noise is excellent. Focal system is fast and accurate at the frame rate is all I need. I shot soccer with it the first week and it performed as well as my MKlV. I like the low weight and solid build. Love the new round grip for a good hold on the side of the camera. I posted some low light with free downloads on my web site at http://susilawson.zenfolio.com so you can download and see the low noise your self. I think you will be very happy with this camera! Glad I stuck with Canon!

Apr 7, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add susi to your Buddy List
Jeff Kingston

Registered: Aug 2, 2007
Review Date: Apr 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I still own a 5DM2 which now moves to the role of backup. The MK3 is better in every way: high iso performance, AF, menu structure, dual card slots so you can have instant backup on SD new features such as HDR. This camera is well worth the upgrade.
Cons:
Honestly, I can find nothing to criticize.

What is interesting to me is that the internet dialog about this camera has missed so much of its goodness. There is a sharpness to its files that pleases me; color rendition is improved; metering improved. I think what has been missed is that this is a whole new camera--not a MK2 warmed over. The changes are many and all for the good. Here are few more: 100% view finder; AF controls in a dedicated menu; side by side comparisons in playback; comprehensive flash control on the camera itself; bigger more convenient depth of field preview button. To my way of thinking, Canon produced an ideal camera--all of the goodness of the 1 Series shrunk into the body of the 5 and then some. It's too bad a lot of megapixel counters seem to have overlooked the goodness of this piece of equipment.

Apr 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jeff Kingston to your Buddy List
markch

Registered: May 31, 2010
Review Date: Apr 5, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Auto focus, Improved ISO performance, IQ, Build
Cons:
Price, playback zoom functionality was better on 7D

I pre-ordered the 5D mark III at the beginning of March. The camera arrived a month later.

The camera is superb. I enjoy wildlife photography and have been happily using a 7D. I went photographing birds yesterday morning to test the camera. The auto focus is a pleasure to use and latches on very quickly. (I still have to work through the manual to get to grips with using it properly but was more than happy with the basic performance)

As we arrived at dawn the light was still very poor and I was shooting at high ISO very successfully. The auto focus using a ef 500 f4 in low light was also very good.

I have same sample shots at http://photo.net/photos/markc in the Marievale Bird Sanctuary section.

In general, I can highly recommend the camera - a pleasure to use!

Apr 5, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add markch to your Buddy List
annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Apr 2, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High usable dynamic range Low noise at high speed Good AF Only 22 MP
Cons:
Only 22 MP High price

I made many shots to see how the AF is and how good the noise performance is. printed A3+ prints to see pictures made at 10,800 ISO. I used Imatest to make a complete test.

From ISO 6400, the resolution decreases more strongly at the Canon 5D MK2 than the Canon 5D MK3. The noise performances of the Canon 5D MK3 are better, the profit is between 1 and 2 stops, depending on RAW or JPEG. A major advancement, about 2 stops at ISO 100, is made in the usable dynamic range. In addition, the camera body is greatly improved. The frame rate is increased and the grip is improved. The AF system meets high expectations. You don't see noise at 10,800 ISO, A3+ prints.

After familiarization, it is a pleasure to work with the 61 AF sensors, the AF speed is high and fast moving objects are properly followed.

My complete test: http://www.camerastuffreview.com/en/component/content/article/344-canon-5d-mk3-test

Apr 2, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List

Canon EOS 5D Mark III