Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X PRO FX SD

15 Elements in 13 Groups
Aspherical, Super-Low Dispersion Glass
Easily Switch From Auto to Manual Focus

Professional 16-28mm F/2.8 Lens
Designed for professional full frame (FX) Canon DSLRs.
NEW Silent DC Motor With GMR Sensor
The 16-28 f/2.8 uses a newly developed silent DC motor that allows the lens to focus faster and more quietly then previous generations. The DC motor coupled with a new GMR magnetic AF sensor work together to increase AF Speed.
Aspherical and Super-Low Dispersion Glass Elements
A new, 56mm-diameter, large size aspherical glass element is incorporated into the front lens group, while there are 2 more aspherical elements in the rear group. 3 SD super-low dispersion glass elements are also incorporated throughout the optical design to reduce chromatic aberration, give maximum resolution, more even brightness and distortion correction.
One-Touch Focus Clutch
Tokina's exclusive One-Touch Focus Clutch Mechanism allows the photographer to switch between AF and MF simply by snapping the focus ring forward for AF and back toward the camera to focus manually. There is no second AF/MF switch on the lens for Canon, everything is accomplished with the focus ring.

Muddus

Registered: Jun 17, 2011
Review Date: Jan 10, 2014 Recommend? kyllä | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Low distortion, sharpness 95%, luminous, good for use at night even f2,8 and well-built
Cons:
Extreme corners of the soft, heavy, flare
Jan 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Muddus to your Buddy List
jrobichaud

Registered: Feb 21, 2005
Review Date: Jan 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Wonderful sharpness edge to edge even at 16mm! Best at f5.8
Cons:
front filter usage it expensive

I shoot Canon, and Canon currently makes nothing to compete with this lens. If the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 mk II cost $699 and this Tokina cost $1500, I would recommend the Tokina every time! I use the Canon 17-40mm for when I need front filters or a more compact WA. Optically, it's no worse than the 16-35mm MK II and I use the Tokina 16-28mm when image quality is critical on the edges or sharpness is critical.
Both these lenses combined cost $200-$500 less than the inferior 16-35mm mk II.

Jan 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrobichaud to your Buddy List
g-money

Registered: Aug 12, 2006
Review Date: Jun 15, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Low distortion, great value for the money. Nice build.
Cons:
No easy way for filters. Tends to flare a bit. I personally don't like the push/pull to change from auto to manual focus but that is a personal thing.

I only occasionally needed a true wide angle lens and could not justify the cost of the Canon 16/35. After reading many positive reviews on the Tokina I gave it a try. I could not be more pleased. Much less distortion than the Canon, just as sharp if not sharper for half the cost. This one met my needs perfect.

Jun 15, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add g-money to your Buddy List
Massimo Foti

Registered: Dec 20, 2010
Review Date: Nov 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Superb build quality. Very low distortion for an UWA. Optically great, even better than lens that cost twice
Cons:
Heavy, bulky, not well suited for filters

I was happy with Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (first version) on my Canon APS-C cameras, so this was an obvious choice when I moved to full-frame.

It's heavy and bulky. The auto-focus isn't blazing fast, but accurate, fast enough for an UWA.

Build quality is superb, as we expect from Tokina. Image quality is great. I think it competes well with much more expensive alternatives, and I am not alone feeling that way:

Distortion is minimal, a great achievement in this focal range.

Compared to my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 this one handles flares better (poor flares handling has been an issue on many Tokina lenses). I assume the new coating advertised by Tokina isn't just marketing junk after all :-)
Still I feel Canon lenses tend to do a bit better with flares.

In many ways it feels the full-frame equivalent of Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and it deserves the same praises.

Nov 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Massimo Foti to your Buddy List
JRomie

Registered: Apr 12, 2006
Review Date: Mar 18, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a Tokina -- similar to a tank. Crisp. Amazingly low distortion, considering how wide it is.
Cons:
Vulnerable front element, terrible hood (on my earlier model anyway), lack of ability to use any filters.

Very nice lens. My previous wide angle zooms included a Tokina 12-24 f4 (I had a bad copy I think; terrible AF accuracy), and a Canon EFS 10-22 (which was a fine lens, but wouldn't fit my upgrade to full frame). This is a great lens though. Fast, crisp, much lower distortion than one would expect with such a wide angle. Built like a tank too (a bit heavy as a result, if weight is an issue with you). The only thing I hesitate with as far as Tokina goes is their service and support. I didn't like the response to my 12-24 focusing issue ("it's within spec", when to me it clearly was not). With this lens, no issues; except the lens cap which they will replace for free (Though it's been 2 months so far since I made the request, and two weeks after I finally got a response to my emails, saying it should go out "this week"). But I've had no technical issues with this lens, and it fits the wide angle slot in my lens assortment very well. The inability to apply filters is a bit of an issue, but I've done okay without them, especially with the options we all have in post processing. I'd definitely recommend it to others.

Mar 18, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JRomie to your Buddy List
Damian_pro3

Registered: Dec 20, 2011
Location: Poland
Review Date: Dec 20, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: famous Tokina build quality, excellent sharpness, colors, price
Cons:
rather slow autofocus, bad lens cap

This review could be a short one, because this lens is truly amazing!
It is build like a... well, like the most of Tokina's lenses. The first time you take this lens in your hand, you realize it's worth the money you paid. It's heavy, rubber rings well made and operate smoothly, but with proper resistance, I also like the af/mf switching by pushing/pulling the front ring. Some people used to Canon's lenses would not like it, but for me it's perfect. There are only two flaws when it comes to build quality: front lens is vulnerable, but you know that when you buy this lens. I also have to admit that after half of a year of working with this lens I'm surprised by a quality of coatings - removing fingerprints is easy and I do not see any scratches, even though i have incidentally touched it many times. A second flaw is a lens cap. As far as I know, Tokina sells this lens with a new, better lens cap, but the early versions (unfortunately also mine) were equipped with caps that seems to be a bad joke - very thin, loose, falling off the lens all the time.
When it comes to lens' performance there is only one flaw: rather slow autofocus. I mean, it is not bad, but it's far for being as fast or silent as in Canon lenses equipped with USM. But the AF is quite accurate, I do not have any problems with ff or bf even though I bought it via the Internet, without having possibility to test it before purchase. Having said that, I must admit, that an optical performance is really amazing! It's really sharp, especially for being an ultra wide lens. I use it on cropped sensors (40D and 7D), so the center of image is almost as sharp as borders, but had an opportunity to test it on 5D markII and it still performed great. The color rendition is also good. F/2.8 is fully usable. When it comes to CA, it's noticeable on f/2.8, but not as visible as in Tokinas 11-16 or 12-24.
To sum it all up: I had a hard time when my Tamron 17-50 broke and had to buy a new lens. Canon 17-40 did not impress me and f/4 is too dark for me and Canon 16-35 is definitely overpriced for its performance. Both those lenses have much better autofocus, but fail in comparison with the Tokina when it comes to the optical performance. I am also used to use polarizers and gradual filters, so it was also hard to decide to buy a lens with no filter mount, but recently I made a deatachable filter thread that allows me to use Cokin/Lee/Hitech filters, so this stopped to being a problem.
If you need a FF lens, can live without ultra fast AF and filter thread, I truly recommend you Tokina 16-28. Give it a chance and you will be delighted with pictures this lens produces.

Sample shots:

Dec 20, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Damian_pro3 to your Buddy List

Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X PRO FX SD