Nikon D7000

13 22998 Nov 12, 2012
D7000

Higher resolution sensor (16.2MP vs. 12.3MP)
Choice of 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW)
1080p HD movie mode
Limited movie editing functionality
AF possible during video shooting
Live View switch (basically the same as D3100)
Faster AF in live view mode.
Twin SD card slots
Non-CPU lens data function (allows registration of up to 9 non-G lenses with manual apertures)
Magnesium alloy body shell
Wider ISO span (100-25,600 including 'H1' and 'H2')
Newly developed 39-point AF system
'Quiet' single frame advance mode
'Proper' mirror lock-up (as distinct from 'exposure delay mode')
Lockable drive mode dial
Higher maximum frame rate (6fps) with a Continuous Lo shooting option (1-5fps)
100% viewfinder
Choice of 12-bit or 14-bit NEF (RAW) recording in compressed or lossless compressed formats
Up to 9 'non-CPU' lenses can be registered (same as D300s/D3s/D3X)
New EN-EL15 lithium-ion battery
New MB-D11 battery pack (magnesium alloy construction)

paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Nov 12, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: small, light, great video and images, decent amount of options
Cons:
could be built a littler better

When this camera was first announced, we picked one up to do video with. When we got it we loved it so much after just shooting 2 videos and a few photo shoots with it that we got 2 more. We ended up selling out D700's to get 3 of these. We shoot weddings as our main source of income and these cameras have seen over 100 weddings. If you want to see samples of our work from it check us out. http://nbombichstudios.com Just about every image on there was from this camera. One of our D7000's just hit 300,000 clicks on it.

Nov 12, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
kallewille

Registered: Jul 18, 2012
Review Date: Jul 18, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Loads of features, nice size and weight, good resolution, two customizable user settings that can be retrieved with a dedicated switch (HUGE bonus), good battery life.
Cons:
No dedicated power supply for lab/studio shooting.

This is my first SLR camera I bought for myself. I work in a lab environment and so usually shoot boring things in controlled lighting situations. Having said that, the more I use the D7000 the more I appreciate the features it has, such as two dedicated, customizable settings (I keep one with an auto-exposure bracket that I couple with the high-speed release mode for grabbing quick sets on the go). I like the fact that I don't have to have an exotic memory card, but simply have two SD cards which most computers accept, saving me the need to buy a docking station. The image quality is amazing for a DX camera and whenever a bad shot is produced I have nothing or no one to blame but myself. I didn't realize how many cameras don't have both dedicated aperture and shutter speed dials (like the new D3200), which makes me appreciate the D7000 all the more.

My only gripe is that there is no plug in for a power cable. The camera we keep in the lab has a dedicated port for a wall socket power source, sparing the battery for when the camera is mounted above a light box or on a tripod, shooting specimens all day. I really wish Nikon had provided that option for the D7000 and took it for granted that it'd have it. I've started using the D7000 at work regularly and it wasn't until then that I discovered this deficiency. Nikon does sell a battery pack with a cable coming out from it that you can plug in the wall, which explains why there's that annoying flap of material near the battery pack which has a tendency to come undone. I find that weak. Why not just put a port and provide an adapter cable?

Having said that, that's my only complaint. The more I use the camera and the more I try other models out, the more I appreciate the gobs of features. I sat and researched a long time before pulling the trigger and really feared I'd get a case of buyer's remorse, but I haven't had a regret for a moment. The only way to move up from this camera is to go full sensor I think, which is bothersome given none of my current lenses will work well with the FX format. I have the DX 55-300mm (which I hardly use) and the DX 35mm (which is AMAZING, especially for the price). I am renting the DX 10-24mm to see if I think it's worth the money.

If you want an amazing DX format camera, I can't see you doing any better than the D7000.

Jul 18, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kallewille to your Buddy List
jamach

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Jun 3, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: full of features that give professional performance low cost image quality
Cons:
getting the most from the configuration takes a bit of testing

Many people say this or that camera is great "for the price". That requires a little restating with the D7000 - a great camera AND a low price.

The feature set offers many pro level options. Once configured the way you want it then the truth emerges. This camera like to do pictures!

Jun 3, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamach to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Dec 28, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, 39pt AF, 100% viewfinder, Dual card slots, Good Dynamic range, Good high ISO performance, good video quality, Customisation.
Cons:
ISO Button, small buffer, no live histogram in live view mode, A bit small.

The D7000 is my 5th Nikon body.

The D7000 is a well built semi pro camera, it feels very solid and the buttons are positioned well, although Nikon should have used a dedicated ISO button.

The camera is a bit smaller then the previous bodies I've owned, although it's bigger and more comfortable to work with then the entry level Nikon bodies. The hand grip design could be improved upon though to make it a bit more comfortable to hold, but it does provide a good solid grip.

The autofocus is fast and responsive, although I would like to have the option of having the viewfinder points shown at all times (like on Canon cameras) but this is typical of all Nikon d/SLR's, and they do light up when they lock target. The 100% viewfinder is bright and it's easy to read the viewfinder information.

Picture quality is good, nice colours and good high ISO performance.

Video quality is good, and the D7000 gets full 1080p HD video.

I would like to see Nikon add live histograms (exposure simulation) in live view mode.

The buffer is a bit small when shooting in burst mode, especially when shooting in NEF format.

Overall it's a great camera and is highly recommended.

Dec 28, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
penpro

Registered: Oct 24, 2011
Review Date: Dec 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Has all the bells and whistles that are needed like commander mode, screw drive and 39 point AF as well as others. Great video quality if you need it.
Cons:
Just about none. Only thing that bothers me is the little rubber connection cover at the bottom of the grip that I accidentally open all the time.

I have had this camera for about six months and find that it is a solid system. Fast and accurate focus, easy to use in manual and automatic modes. Has many of the features of the pro cameras just dumbed down a bit so it is perfect for an non-professional like my self that wants to take great pictures.

I had the Canon 60D first and returned it as it didn't have the build quality or the features to the D7000 and is supposed to be its direct competitor.

Dec 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add penpro to your Buddy List
Sami Ruusunen

Registered: Jul 29, 2010
Review Date: Dec 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: IQ at low ISO, low shadow noise aka high DR, build quality for this price range, dual card slots
Cons:
position of iso button, mirror slap in live-view, no live-histogram or exposure simulation in live-view

After 6 months of regular shooting with dual D7000's I must say I'm quite happy about the image quality. RAW files has lots of detail in shadow with minimum noise, so the files can be pushed quite hard in post processing.
Body is pretty high quality and has enough responsiveness for most situations.

Biggest negative issue in D7000 is the live-view; it doesn't have live-histogram or real exposure simulation which can be found in most cameras from other manufacturers. Also the mirror flip-flap when making exposure in live-view can only be seen as a design error. Another thing I really can't understand is that you can't change aperture while in live-view. These should be fixed in future Nikon cameras.

Without the crappy live-view implementation I would have probably rated the camera either 9 or 10.

Dec 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sami Ruusunen to your Buddy List
JustShot

Registered: Nov 28, 2009
Review Date: Dec 9, 2011 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Its a Nikon. That means it matches many of my Nikon accessories. It also takes good to good (As opposed to excellent) videos which is the main reason I bought it. The multi point focus selector seems to be better than my D700.
Cons:
Read the report.

I can see very little value in having a high Megapixel sensor when the main difference is more noise. Noise control is still best done post shoot with non-Nikon software

Not a pinch on a D700 for high ISO noise control but then we're talking about small sensor sites.

I've owned this camera for more than a year. You still have to underexpose 1.5 stops to use Dynamic lighting to its best effect. I had expected by now, Nikon would have got a hold on this issue and fixed it.

The camera handles with typical Nikon familiarly. Live view is easy to use and contrast focusing works but not how I expected it would, Hunting off to find a face during filming. Most annoying.

Otherwise I can't find much else that is different enough between this camera and the D300s I replaced it with for it to stand out as remarkable.

Even as a replacement for a D90, I'd have to suggest waiting for the Mk II version because despite its age... D90's are still the camera to measure all Nikon APS size DSLR's by. Either they are as good as one feature or not. Overall the D7000 is a better camera but not in as many areas as you'd expect.

If Nikon could only produce the substantial jump they got when releasing D90, they'd have an excellent product. As it is now, I'm sorry to report at frame number 17,000, I am disappointed. I was also disappointed with the D300s.

I'm forming the opinion that APS sensor sizes are the reason for my disappointment. My D700 and D3 are both very nice cameras. Probably spoil me for anything less that the quality they produce which like all Nikons, needs Capture 2NX to obtain stomal results.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment is that you must still use Nikon Capture 2NX to process RAW images or you lose much of the image quality I find so pleasing.

Until Nikon release a camera that exceeds not just equals its rivals and they include with it, what I feel is essential software (Capture 2 NX) I'll continue to hold the opinion this is another ...Ho-Hum, next please camera.

Nikon again promises much and only delivers on the promise after you spend way more money than you should have to. A real Pity because what I bought this camera for - HD video and identical looking stills that I can combine into a wedding presentation... I've got to buy duplicate cameras and lenses of a different brand.

Dec 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JustShot to your Buddy List
kaldanner

Registered: Nov 15, 2010
Review Date: Oct 15, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: size, weight, image quality - excellent 16 megapixels, great high iso performance, dual card slots
Cons:

I picked up this little gem a few days ago. I have 2 Nikon D700 bodies but prefer to use this now. Yes - in that short space of time. I don't know why it's rated as an enthusiast's camera. Whatever it does, it does extremely well. Those 16 megapixels are the cleanest I have ever seen. The best camera I've owned. Period. Nikon - go make a full frame like this.

Oct 15, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kaldanner to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Oct 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, iso performance (low and high), dual SD cards, video simplicity, ergonomically near perfect (for me), crop sensor = lighter/smaller lenses, and many more.
Cons:
AF, while excellent for most lenses, has to be adjusted a lot in some cases. One lens I cannot get to hit consistently: the Nikon 50/1.4. I have three D7k's and its the same on them all.

Whats not to like. If you shoot nikon, like the crop factor for any reason, need instant backup, love fast AF, use higher ISO's, have medium - small hands… this it the best thing out there.

Using three now. I have one in my studio and two for events.

Oct 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
jefflee

Registered: Feb 23, 2005
Review Date: Oct 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, quality of image, high ISO performance, video quality.
Cons:
None - best digital camera for my purposes that I've ever used.

The Nikon D7000 is a great camera. I’ve used many cameras medium, 35mm, DSLR and the images from this camera are as good as they come if you use raw images to process.

The size of this camera for me is just about perfect. It still feels good with my 80-200 & 300mm, yet takes my 24-85 D or 12-24 and fits in a small LowPro Holster.

While the buffer only holds six high res images, the new faster SD cards at now at 90 megs and that should address the six images. But remember that is 14 bit raw and I’ve don’t “machine gun” even my BIF’s any more.

The 24P video with the “B” frame makes the videos seem like a much higher bit rate, the video is very high quality and the “rolling shutter” effect is under good control.

My D200 is my second camera, but the D7000 is in another league. Highly recommended.

Oct 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jefflee to your Buddy List
tandshughes

Registered: Oct 11, 2011
Review Date: Oct 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $990.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, SUPER QUIET!, great positioning of buttons like AF selection points, live view. Has a 'Q' (Quiet) mode thats cool--could have its uses. Has all the conveniences of my D700 like fast metering button, interval timer shooting, non-cpu lens data input, virtual horizon. Audio input is big plus, step up for D90 which is what I had prior. And double SD card slots=genius. 6fps fast and responsive. 1080p + 24fps closer to pro. Great value.
Cons:
The Nikon in camera editing is pretty silly/useless. Would like to see the rectangle viewfinders change on these. Would like to have a dedicated 'AF-On' button.

Got this to replace our D90...like it way more. Vastly more responsive, better video, better image, just better. We actually use this as a backup wedding camera; although its consumer level its def pro-ish vibe. Like that it matches a lot of the features of my D700 including interval timer. Best way to spend $1000 on a camera. We use the nikon 35mm f/2 on it alot and its great--heard good things about the 35mm 1.8 DX but I'm not a fan of having lenses that can't be used on FX.

Oct 11, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tandshughes to your Buddy List
johneasterly

Registered: Sep 4, 2008
Review Date: Oct 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, FAST, state of the art, works wonders
Cons:
A little small but the grip fix's that

I had Nikon before, D300, D300s, D700 and a D7K but went and switched to Cano* and have returned to Nikon because simply put the D7000 does everything I need it to do in a lightweight camera, it is the best of the bunch that I have handled and used. They all did very well even the 7D by the Cano* but I came back to this little marvel - it performs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johneasterly to your Buddy List
Tim Ashton

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Review Date: Sep 22, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ +++, ease of use+++, light weight+++.
Cons:
Slightly on the small side for my hands but have gotten use to that very quickly

for years I lusted for a D700 and brought one. I then had the opportunity to use a friends D7k and discovered there was nothing that the 700 did for me that I could do with the 7000.
With the 7k being so much lighter, and cheaper for me it was a no brainer>
I will never regret buying this camera

Sep 22, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tim Ashton to your Buddy List

Nikon D7000