Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM

115 268748 Nov 23, 2012
ef400mmf_56_1_

This high-performance lens was designed with portability and handling ease in mind. One super UD-glass element, whose characteristics are similar to fluorite, and one UD-glass element result in sharp pictures from corner-to-corner. The lens also has a built-in hood and a detachable tripod mount.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8

Jim Linch

Registered: May 13, 2003
Review Date: May 17, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast focus, light weight, and cristal clear.
Cons:

I used this lens with a 1N for about a year photographing birds. It's the best "handheld birds in flight" lens available from Canon, and balanced on the 1N.

Don't buy this lens thinking "I can use the 1.4X and have a 560mm". I thought that and although f/8 would not allow auto focus on the 1N, even with autofocus the potential stops at 400mm.

EDIT: I meant the potential for a "long birding lens" is not there at 560mm as IMO this is still too short for wild birds.
The image quality from this lens with the 1.4X attached was excellent just as every other "L" lens seems to be with the 1.4X teleconverter attached.

May 17, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jim Linch to your Buddy List
TulsaRob

Registered: Jan 7, 2002
Review Date: May 4, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, quick, sharp
Cons:
No IS

The more I use this lens, the more I like it.

I was supprised to find I could use a lower ISO speed and still get a good shutter speed for wildlife.
Fewer elements let light in faster I guess or just a trait of primes maybe.

I had used the Canon 100-400 most of the time and had gotten used to high ISO speeds in low light so it took a little getting used to the 400mm.

This lens is very quick to focus, faster than the 100-400.

It's built very well, feels very solid in your hand. It fits the hand well also.

The built in lens hood is great.

At first I was somewhat frustrated with this lens, but after practice, I really like it.

This is one of my best hand held shots with it:

May 4, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TulsaRob to your Buddy List
deanchi

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Review Date: Apr 23, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, excellent build quality, price, hood built-in
Cons:
No auto focus with 1.4x or 2.0x

I've just bought this lens as of yesterday; therefore, information here are mostly first impressions with few in door test shot only.

The lens feels much like the EF 70-200mm f/4L, also an excellent value.

I will post further information after shooting it under bright day light.

Apr 23, 2003