Nikon 35mm f/1.4G AF-S NIKKOR

8 24383 Feb 5, 2014
product_01_copy

Fast 35mm lens with a maximum aperture of f/1.4
Superior optical performance achieves high-resolution images with natural picture blur
Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections to effectively reduce ghost and flare
Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures quiet AF operation with superior subject-tracking ability
Refined MF driving mechanism reduces focus time lag and improves operational ease in M/A mode

Focal length: 35mm
Maximum aperture: f/1.4
Minimum aperture: f/16
Lens construction: 10 elements in 7 groups (with one aspherical lens element)
Angle of view: 63 (44 with Nikon DX format)
Minimum focus distance: 0.3 m/0.98 ft.
Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.2x
No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded)
Filter-attachment size: 67mm
Diameter x length(extension from lens mount): Approximately 83 x 89.5 mm/3.3 x 3.5 in.
Weight: Approximately 600 g/21.2 oz.
Supplied accessories: 67mm snap-on Front Lens Cap LC-67, Rear Lens Cap LF-4, Bayonet Hood HB-59, Flexible Lens Pouch CL-1118

tandshughes

Registered: Oct 11, 2011
Review Date: Feb 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, depth of field, awesome quality.
Cons:
can be slow focusing...

this lens changed the quality of the images we were putting out there. the depth of field you can accomplish with such a wide focal length is amazing. shoot this in 2.8 or lower, get close to your subject, and you're going to love it.

Feb 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tandshughes to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, lovely 'tones' it produces, silent, fast and consistently accurate focusing (I think so, others seem to disagree) well made, not too heavy. A benchmark lens.
Cons:
Apart from the price maybe a tad of purple fringing wide open in some situations but nothing to get worried about.

Having switched to Nikon from Canon I really missed my 35L. I was though finding it hard to justify the spend so soon as I was finding my 24-70 zoom to be so good I wondered what little extra I could gain quality wise over that other than the speed and weight, of course.

Anyway, following a huge disappointment with a 135 f/2 purchase the retailer kindly refunded my money and I thought 'what the heck' and got the 35 f/1.4. I wasn't expecting as big a jump in quality as I found and quickly spent time testing it out heavily and was amazed at how much sharper the D800e and 35 f/1.4 combo was over my previous 5DmkII and 35L. I'm in no way knocking the 35L, that's still a super lens but this is very much sharper and more accurate. I used to take lots more photos than I needed with the Canon to be sure of nailing the focus between f/1.4 and f/2.0 but with this I am finding a very high hit rate.

This lens is sharp in the centre from f/1.4. It focuses fast. Some people have complained about it's AF speed but maybe on the D800 it's not as slow? Anyway, the one I have is as fast to focus as the 24-70.

I really like the 'tones' it produces. It seems a little like a cross between the Canon 50L f/1.2 and, and... I'm not exactly sure what but it renders skin tones very nicely and the OOF areas don't get as contrasty and 'busy' as the 35L. I'm finding the lens to be so good I kick myself for not getting it sooner. Don't be put off by some previous mediocre reports, this is a fabulous lens and gets a 10 from me.

Sep 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
ivofreriks

Registered: Feb 27, 2012
Review Date: Jun 8, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Large aperture High resolution (tested @ Nikon D800E) Low distortion and chromatic aberration
Cons:
Weight Price Longitudinal chromatic aberration

The Nikon 35 mm 1.4G is in combination with the Nikon D800E a perfect lens, in terms of optical and mechanical properties. What is left to wish for?
See full review at:

Jun 8, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ivofreriks to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Apr 25, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, nice contrast, adequate focus speed, relatively low distortion, very well built
Cons:
price

The 35mm f1.4 AF-S G lens has replaced the 60mm f2.8 AF-S G as my walk around, normal lens, filling the focal length gap between my 14-24mm and 70-200mm Nikkors. Focus seems slightly slower than the other lenses in my arsenal but I do not take action photos. Being a bit expensive for my budget, a few of my other items had to be sold in order to purchase it.

Apr 25, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
robert829

Registered: Apr 29, 2011
Review Date: Apr 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and smooth focusing
Cons:

This lens replaced my 50mm as a walkaround lens.Balance well on my d700 and the image it produce is superb.I can shoot this at 1.4 all day for me it's sharp enough at this aperture.highly recommend u will not disappoint with this one I know it's bit pricey but you will be amaze at the result that you will get on this lens it's fantastic.

Apr 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add robert829 to your Buddy List
subidiom

Registered: Nov 24, 2009
Review Date: Feb 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super bokeh, build quality and very sharp.
Cons:
Big, heavy and expensive

This lens is very sharp at f/1.4 and amazingly so from f/2.0 and on. It paints beautifully and the bokeh is very smooth as well for a 35. Like the other new AF-S fast Nikkors recently released, a little on the big and heavy side, but the build quality is great and seems very durable.

A little slow on the autofocus, but fast enough. Expected for a f/1.4 - lots of glass and I'll take acuracy over speed.

Feb 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add subidiom to your Buddy List
Gunnar Sigmars

Registered: Apr 20, 2007
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jul 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. Great bokeh. Awesome from F2.0.
Cons:

I just love this lens that's it Smile

Jul 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gunnar Sigmars to your Buddy List
abam

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: Apr 11, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: finally a 35/1.4 nikkor with AF (!); sharp wide open; superb from f2.0 onward; nice bokeh
Cons:
prominent CAs/no ED elements; slow focusing; strange-sounding AF {'zoink-ssshhhh'}; expensive

the ability to have an autofocusing 35/1.4 in F-mount is - probably in part due to nikon's long-standing neglect of this focal length - simply provocative for those of us who love the 35mm FOV and razor-thin DOF. in time, sigma et al might jump on this trending focal length - but for now, this is it if you want AF with your fast, sharp, nikon-mount 35mm prime.

to be purely objective, i feel like julie andrews doing pinwheels in a field in salzburg. sans dirndl. this lens offers (mostly) very fine optics. center sharpness matches that of (and the edges surpass those of) my beloved canon 35L. the build is reassuring; the lens is weather-sealed, and i've experienced no problems after taking my D700 + 35/1.4G out in several (freezing) chicago drizzles.

that said, the lens isn't without its shortcomings. (please take into account when reading the following bullets that, having tried and owned only one example of this lens, my observations are more or less specific to the combination of my* 35/1.4G on my* D700. additionally, my main point of reference when judging the 35/1.4G is the only other fast, sharp, professional-grade, autofocusing 35/1.4 that i have used extensively - the 35L.) ...

-- AF is slow. significantly slower than the 35L; but to be fair, significantly faster than the 35/1.4 AI-S Wink
-- AF on my copy isn't as erratic it has been portrayed by some online reviewers, but i do notice that it clearly misses the intended plane of focus more often that i would prefer, and more often than i would honestly attribute to operator error.
-- when autofocusing, the lens makes what i can only describe as a scratchy 'zoink-ssshhhh' sort of noise. though i have been informed by other owners that this is normal for the 35/1.4G, this constellation of somewhat unnerving AF sounds was not present on my AF-S 50/1.4G. fwiw.
-- green/purple fringing is significant. to each his own concerning the extent to which this will be bothersome (and to be fair, all fast wides will exhibit CAs), but i find myself often taking the extra step of converting RAW>TIFF with view nx2 (instead of doing everything with an adobe product), simply because only the nikon software seems to be able to 'handle' it. (did nikon specifically leave out the ED elements because their software could tame the fringing? not being an engineer, i can only guess at why the 24G got ED elements and the 35/1.4G didn't.)
-- for $1800USD, i would like to have seen (again) some ED glass in this lens, as well as a quicker/quieter implementation of AF-S.

that said, as an enthusiast, i'm very satisfied with my 35/1.4's performance, and am thrilled to have a nikon-mount answer to the canon 35L.

Apr 11, 2011