Nikon 24mm AF-S Nikkor f/1.4G ED

9 32898 Nov 16, 2013
675829

The new Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Wide Angle Lens is a precision prime lens with a natural wide angle view and is constructed to deliver the crisp and distortion-free image captures that are expected from Nikon. This Nikkor is built with 12 Nano Crystal coated lens elements in 10 groups including 2 Extra-low Dispersion (ED) and 2 Aspherical lenses that help create images that are sharp and dynamic without chromatic or other aberrations even at f/1.4.

Filter Size 77mm (screw-on)
f/Stop Range f/1.4 - f/16
Minimum Focus Distance 0.82' (0.25 m)
Magnification 0.179x
Angle of View 84° (61° when used in DX Crop mode or with DX-format D-SLRs)
Elements/Groups 12/10
2 Aspherical elements
2 ED elements
Focusing Autofocus with Silent Wave Motor (SWM) and manual focus
Rear focusing: Yes
Aperture Control Via camera Command Dial
Number of Blades 9 (rounded)
Length Approx. 3.5" (88.5mm)
Maximum Diameter Approx. 3.3" (83mm)
Weight Approx. 21.9 oz (620 g)

subidiom

Registered: Nov 24, 2009
Review Date: Nov 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp, contrasty and lovely rendering. Moderate but easily correctible distortion.
Cons:
Expensive. Unreliable auto focus in contra lighting.

Lots has already been said about this lens, but my favorite aspect is the unique rendering it provides. It has some pretty heavy vingetting wide open, but it is very natural looking and contributes to the overall look of the images.

Stop down to f/4 or 5.6 and nothing in this focal length can touch its sharpness.

I am inspired to shoot more with this lens on my camera - it's a very unique gem.

Nov 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add subidiom to your Buddy List
Fulcrum

Registered: May 23, 2008
Review Date: Jul 25, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extreme sharpness, excellent colour rendition, very flare resistant, very large aperture
Cons:
Price...

The best rectilinear lens there is. Period.

There really isnīt much to complain about, except for the eye-watering price.

----

I love the versatility of 24mm. This is the magic focal length for me. You can use this for people portraits, architecture, concerts, museums, in-your-face street photography and so many other things. I love this one for night photos in the arctic winter.

And with f/1.4 you do not need to worry about shutter speeds while exploring the darkest corners of a museum. No need for VR either.

Jul 25, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fulcrum to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Apr 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00

Pros: Well built, beautiful bookeh, awesome in low light, sharp and superb colors!
Cons:

I love the look it produces! That's why I have it. There is no other Nikon lens which creates pictures like this. Period.
Look for the wide angle photos here: http://www.haringphotography.com/
Most of the wide are with this. The super wides are with the 14-24mm, another awesome lens!
I have a FF camera so I am not sure how it looks on a cropped camera.

I use less and less at night because Nikon high ISO is so good that I can use the 24-70mm without any problem. Ok, I have to admit the 24-70mm is what I use most of the time. Still I just love this lens!

The bottom line is that buy it if you are crazy about the look is produces. Buy the 24-70 if you want to have a general purpose lens!

Apr 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Oct 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid. Sharp. Silent (ish) AF. Beautifully finished. Great CA control.
Cons:
Slower than I care to wait for in acquiring focus.

While this is one of the best lenses in the lineup from Nikon, its not staying in my bag for one reason. It's just too slow to snap focus compared to most of my primes. Even my 84 af/D is faster with the D3/D700/D7k and D300s's that we use.

Fantastic IQ, but just not enough to wait for the AF to keep up.

Oct 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
khanhnahk

Registered: Jan 19, 2008
Review Date: Sep 5, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: See comments
Cons:
See comments

I purchased this lense last week. Shot a wedding reception with minimal light on my D700. I was realllllyyy impressed with the image quality that this lense produced. No doubt the excellent image quality is a residue of the D700's capability as well, but, golly, I am thoroughly impressed. At f/1.4, this lense has the ability to turn a seemingly simple shot...into something unintendedly unique. No problem focusing in dim light. Tack sharp at f/1.4 (at the center at least). That's all I can say at this point. I bought this lense for wide-angle, dependable low light performance, and sharpness at wide open aperature, and it delivers all that, with a "is that all you've got? haha" attitude.

To see photos I recently took with this lense, visit:

Sep 5, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add khanhnahk to your Buddy List
Gunnar Sigmars

Registered: Apr 20, 2007
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Jul 6, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp ,Fantastic bokeh,superb from f2.8

Jul 6, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gunnar Sigmars to your Buddy List
LizWangPhotog

Registered: May 23, 2011
Review Date: May 23, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, vibrant colors, fast wide with excellent IQ and AF
Cons:
As with any fast wide, it's a pretty hefty lens

I recently switched from Canon, which was a daunting task having shot Canon since I started shooting weddings at the pro level. At first, I was very hesitant because Canon's strengths are their amazing image quality, and I didn't want to affect the quality of my photos out of camera. Well, this lens made it all worth it. Having shot with every Canon prime L lens currently out, and specifically the Canon 24 1.4, this is one of the few primes that matches the dreamy-creamy nature of the Canon L lenses, and is superior in IQ and sharpness. Amazing.

When I'm not shooting weddings, I put this on my travel D7000 and I have an effective 35mm 1.4 lens for travel photography and video. This works so well, I'm selling my 35mm 1.4g, another amazing lens.

Some samples here:

www.lizwangphotography.com

May 23, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LizWangPhotog to your Buddy List
eeyore_dave

Registered: Dec 22, 2008
Review Date: Feb 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Optics
Cons:
Weight and Size

An excellent lens all-around. Excellent optics and colour rendering. I hav enot had any issues with the back/front focus issues. All the images focus as expected and have provided me with some really memorable images. The 1.4 aperture really does give you more creative options. The colour and sharpness comes out very well with Aperture and the bokeh is quite pleasing.

The build and feel is excellent, but a little heavy for my liking, but you pay for the 1.4. My only gripe is that the lens is probably on the expensive side, but given its quality, and likely low-run, it probably is a fair price. This will be one lens I will hang on to for a long time.

Feb 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eeyore_dave to your Buddy List
Kibsgaard

Registered: Aug 21, 2007
Review Date: Feb 4, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and detailed pictures Fantastic bokeh for a WA.
Cons:
Nothing that matters

A very versatile lens, if you like WA.s

Never seen a so fantastic bokeh for a WA.

CA: Saw some axial ("pink")at f. 1.4 in high contrast scenes - stopped down it disappeared, as axial CA does comparing to the lateral (blue), that does not disappear stopped down, but can be removed in software.

Very low distortion - if you do not put the lens too close to the face you can shoot portraits and get this fantastic bokeh if you have a fine background.

Read at the net, that the distortion was not higher than the Nikon 24mm t/s.

Sharp at f. 1.4, but not in the corners (of course not), but the corners are sharp at f. 2.8 and the farthest corners also at f. 4.0.

Vignetting at some scenes at f. 1.4 and small at f. 2.0 - gone at f. 2.8.

This is a simply super lens for nightshooting, for concerts, for landscapes (did not see any diffraction at f. 11, and only minor at f. 13 and f. 16, so it can be stopped down with excellent results).

Also for buildings, for portraits in the field using it with DX-camera (36 mm).

This is a f. 1.4 lens, so you can get misfocus at this f.stop sometimes, but only seldom, but if the subject in the city scapes at night is a bit enlightened and contrasty it is there every time.

Not totally free for ghosting if you shoot it against a strong midday- sun, and the sun is not in the middle, but just outside the frame, but nothing at all with a weaker sun or the city lights = super.

some writes that the AF is slow. I do not agree, it is OK fast, but of course not as fast as the AF from the 200mm f/2.0 or the 70-200, which both are for sports also, so do not expect that.

And you can use your filters !!

The lens is now glued to my D700.

Feb 4, 2011