Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

34 103407 Jul 27, 2015
3_5-5

The new EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM sets a new standard for everyday photography on APS-C sensors. With a focal length range equivalent to 24-136mm in 35mm format, image stabilization and high-precision optics, the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM offers stellar performance from wide-angle through to telephoto.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 15 - 85mm 1:3.5-5.6
Lens Construction : 17 elements in 12 groups
Diagonal Angle of View : 84 30' - 18 25'
Focus Adjustment : Inner focusing system with USM
Closest Focusing Distance : 1.15 ft./0.35m
Filter Size : 72mm
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight : 3.2 x 3.4 in./81.6 x 87.5mm, 20.3 oz./575g

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

platypus

Registered: Oct 29, 2005
Review Date: Aug 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: High IQ, good handling, handy range, fairly solid, versatile
Cons:
Edges at 15-22 could be better, curvature of field? A little overpriced

Could not afford a new sample of this lens so took a chance on ebay and got what I think is a pretty good one. Previously had a Tamron 17-50mm so am missing the f2.8 rather but IS partly makes up for that. I admit I was pleasanly surprised by the IQ of such a wide-ranging zoom. Optimum performance seems to be just one or two stops down. Tested on 50D against a manual Zuiko 50mm macro of known quality there is no discernable difference in detail - impressive. My only criticism is the edge detail could be better between 15-22mm but it is a wideangle zoom after all. Sold my wonderful but hardly used 10-22mm after buying this lens- 24mm wide equivalent is wide enough for my purposes.

Overall a very versatile and practical lens, a tad overpriced. I have been lucky and have got an optically consistent sample.

Aug 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add platypus to your Buddy List
rideklein

Registered: Apr 2, 2010
Review Date: Aug 17, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, Great Zoom Range, USM, IS, Solid Build, Good Walkaround Lens.
Cons:
Relatively Slow f/3.5-5.6, Silver "Ring" on Zoom Barrel is Pinstriping that Comes Off.

I use this on a T1i as a general purpose outdoor lens.

This was my second general purpose outdoor lens purchase, after I used a 28-135 for a while. I loved the 28-135, well -- until I bought the 15-85. The 28-135 is now gone.

This lens produces great quality images. It's sized right, and with the Canon rebate going on at the time I bought it, was at a comfortable price point.

Its downfall is that it's slow. For example, f/5 shows up just north of 35mm. So, for me, I use it outdoors only. (I prefer shooting without a flash and at ISO400 and lower.) The 17-55 resolves this problem with a constant f/2.8, but it's a noticeably larger lens, and it's priced higher. ...I'll rely on my fast primes for days that my 15-85 won't do the trick.

Now, a minor downer... For as solid as this lens is built, the silver decorative ring on the zoom barrel is just a cheapo pinstripe. Mine peeled off very quickly. It's amazing how much better the lens looks with it there. I'll miss it. I'll ignore this and give the rest of the lens the "10" build quality rating it deserves.

This lens does what it advertises. I'd recommend it.

Aug 17, 2010