Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

21 51137 May 22, 2014
8.4
583_17-50mm_f28_EX_DC_OS_HSM_copy

For use with smaller chip APS-c digital cameras only
Offers Sigma’s OS System (Optical Stabilization) allowing handheld photography even in low-light situation
HSM (Hyper-Sonic Motor) ensures a quiet & high-speed auto focus
FLD glass elements with performance equal to fluorite glass for compensate for color aberration
Ultra compact with overall length of just 3.6”

Lens Construction 17 Elements in 13 Groups

Page:  1 · 2  next

dysenterygary

Registered: May 18, 2014
Review Date: May 22, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good build, sharp photos, 2.8, great stabilizer, great price. This is my first "good" standard zoom, and I am honestly blown away by it.
Cons:
I have a very difficult time coming up with cons for an item when I know I am a "bang for the buck" type shopper. I guess I wish the focus ring was just a little bigger and had a little more travel in it.

May 22, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dysenterygary to your Buddy List
ebiggs

Registered: Mar 16, 2013
Review Date: Apr 1, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $469.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: What else, price! Sigma has a instant $200 rebate right now. Comes with hood, a pinch lens cap and a soft case. Lately any Sigma lens with at least the EX or Art rating is a very nice lens and a good buy.
Cons:
The front focus ring moves as the lens focuses. Not a deal breaker but you must be aware of it and keep your hands off.

In real world shooting you will not likely be able to tell the difference between this lens and Canon's.
If, on the other hand, you are a pixel peeper you can see some difference.
There is some CA on the right side of mine at f2.8 but you need a 100% crop to see it at all.
Mine is very sharp. Better than it's price would indicate.
I use mine on a 7D and I have the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 to go along with it. Makes a nice combo.

Apr 1, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ebiggs to your Buddy List
cochese

Registered: Feb 21, 2014
Review Date: Feb 21, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small and relatively light. OS works well. HSM is quick, just shy of Canon's USM, and on par with Tamrons USD. Well built and great price
Cons:
No FTM.

I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on this lens. I knew I wanted a fast standard lens but the price of the Canon 17-55 was WAY out of reach. I have had the lens for about a week and taken several hundred images. I can allay your fears, this lens is sharp, even wide open. The focus is fast and the OS on par with Sigma's 4 stop claim and I am getting 3.5 very consistently. The build quality is excellent, this thing just feels nice in my hands. I wish Sigma could have added FTM, but that is really my only gripe. Highly recommended!

Feb 21, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cochese to your Buddy List
gokalp

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Oct 30, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $560.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: optically excellent. os works great. small size for 2.8 zoom. attractive price.
Cons:
no full time manual focus

I love this lens. It is relatively small and light for a f/2.8 zoom, and optically great. My copy is very sharp wide open across the whole zoom range. The optical stabilization works very nicely, and lets me handhold way beyond the conventional 1/shutter speed rule. In terms of the price it is noticeably cheaper than the Canon counterpart with a similar performance.

I am a big fan of FTMF, and unfortunately this one lacks it. However, the focus has been very accurate on my 60D and I have not needed FTMF so far.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this lens.

Oct 30, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gokalp to your Buddy List
thevorlon

Registered: Oct 23, 2012
Review Date: Oct 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $599.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent lens - I have not seen the front focusing issues some other reviewers have posted. I looked at both the similar Tamron lens as well as the Canon lens. For the money the Sigma lens is the better choice.
Cons:

Oct 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thevorlon to your Buddy List
Jonas Ottos

Registered: Oct 12, 2012
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Oct 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $590.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great resolution and image quality, fast and accurate AF, OS effective
Cons:
FTM would have been nice - but you don't use it often.

This is an excellent lens. If it had the Canon's 17-55 low light focusing accuracy this would be by far the best lens in this focal range. As it is however one has to choose between superior low light focusing abilities af the Canon vs the superior resolution capabilities and the better close-up focusing abilities of the Sigma. Given the price difference, it's a no brainer in my mind.

Highly recommended.

Oct 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jonas Ottos to your Buddy List
sehdata

Registered: Apr 22, 2007
Review Date: Feb 20, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Fast 2.8 sharp at 4.0
Cons:
Front focus - lens 2 - back focus - lens 3 front focus - poor quality production

I ordered the first copy last year - on my Canon 600D it has terrible front focus - i returned and get a new version just to realize that this copy has back focus - ons again i delivered it back and the store checked wit the cameras - the was indeed convinced that i was foully, i then get the third copy and ons again i had front focus - now i get my money back and ordered a Canon 17-55 IS - WOW what a lens - sorry

Feb 20, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sehdata to your Buddy List
nolaprof

Registered: Dec 16, 2009
Review Date: Jan 30, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Jan 30, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nolaprof to your Buddy List
timseley

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Review Date: Jan 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $670.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build, image quality, price, stabilized
Cons:
a bit heavy

For shooting video this is my go to lens. I use it for probably 80% of the stuff that I shoot. The Tamron equivalent is also optically nice but the build quality doesn't feel nearly as sturdy/smooth as the Sigma and as I'm shooting video on Canon bodies the fact that the Tamron is backwards is a big con for me. The Canon is a nice lens too, but considering that the Sigma is so much cheaper there's no reason to go with the Canon over the Sig for me. The Sig is sharp, has good color, and is relatively affordable. Thumbs up.

Jan 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add timseley to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Aug 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp very sharp even at 2.8, nice finish, OS
Cons:
Not long enough but knew that when I bought so no big deal

First off I am not a Sigma fan I actually don't care for sig lenses. But this lens is awesome and a lot less money than the 17-55 IS but is very well built seems more solid than the Canon. Love the new finish way to go Sig

Aug 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
tom_m

Registered: Aug 2, 2010
Review Date: Jun 21, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $669.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY sharp lens that is versatile. f/2.8 with image stabilization is great. The FLD glass is new and wonderful leaving the CA low. By far one of the better lenses out there in its class.
Cons:
No full time manual focus. The focus ring is narrow and very sensitive and it turns when auto-focusing and your hand (at least my hand) gets in the way. The zoom seems backwards which isn't a big deal but you turn the wrong way without thinking at first.

Plain and simple this lens is a contender! It's commonly compared to the Tamron 17-50mm and Canon 17-55mm. The other lens it is sometimes compared to is the Canon 17-40mm L. If you're shooting on a full frame sensor then you're only real choice here is the L lens...And it's a great lens. I don't own it but I've shot with it before.

However for those with cropped sensors...I'm telling ya, get this lens. If you're on a tight budget, get the Tamron. However, I'd probably just simply stay away from the Canon 17-55mm because I think it's overpriced. If it was an L series with image stabilization...Well, then maybe. Maybe it'd also cost more.

There are a TON of reviews on this lens, so read here and Google it up. I won't repeat what others have said.

However one thing I did not know when buying this lens.. This lens has the new Sigma finish. It does not have that "crinkle" finish. You know that kinda visually textured/sandy matte dull finish (which was pretty smooth to the touch but not glossy smooth). I actually liked the old finish...But many people did not because it could peel off with a lot of wear and tear. I never had that problem, but it's worth noting because you actually don't read about it much. I know it has nothing to do with image quality, but don't be surprised when you pull this EX lens out of the bag for the first time and it has a smooth plastic finish.

Jun 21, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tom_m to your Buddy List
henrynvirginia

Registered: Dec 13, 2010
Review Date: Feb 9, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $669.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built, fast and accurate AF, very quiet OS system, sharp at all f stops. A great lens $400 less than Canon 17-55. Very satisfied.
Cons:
Only if you didn't know that you cannot MF while on AF. Not a problem for me.

Feb 9, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add henrynvirginia to your Buddy List
thomas bulger

Registered: Jul 7, 2007
Review Date: Dec 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $669.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built, sharp, price and warranty
Cons:
no ftm.

I have owned the 17-40L and the 16-35L, this lens is far superior to both. It is easily as sharp as both L lenses and the focus is fast, quiet and dead on. I recently shot a gathering around a campfire and the lens focused without any issues. When others have viewed the images the first comment is "great colors".

I have not been happy with prior Sigma purchases and really agonized over this purchase. I must say that they have made a believer out of me.

Dec 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thomas bulger to your Buddy List
micos

Registered: Nov 16, 2009
Review Date: Nov 29, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Follow up to my previous review - lens was overhauled and "re-programed" at Sigma service regarding back focus when used in dark with (Canon) external flash`s assist beam. Although Sigma`s Customer Service is by far the best one I have ever dealt with, along with Pentax many years ago (listen Canon ?) lens came back exactly the same. In the mean time I tested my friend`s lens and it has the same problem. I am suspecting that Sigma did some mistake in the lens software or simply ran on Canon`s AF booby trap :-). After all, it challenges seriously Canon`s EF-S flagship 17-55 2.8 IS at almost half the price.
I spoke with Sigma service technicians and it will go in again - seems they are intrigued with the problem. Anyhow, I would appreciate if any actual Sigma/Canon owner could test this lens and post the comment here.
The procedure would be to put on external flash, take some cereal box or anything square with clear lettering in very dark space and
take a couple of pictures. Flash assist beam will engage and "help" the lens to focus - or to miss, remain to be seen. F stop should be around F 3.5 or 4 enough to allow some DOF but not too much to affect the result. All original Canon lenses passed this test with ease and even Sigma does AF almost perfectly without IR beam - weird, at best!

Nov 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add micos to your Buddy List
pedropedro

Registered: Oct 26, 2010
Review Date: Oct 26, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: nice finish
Cons:
optical aberrations at 17mm

I've bought the sigma 17-50 2.8 and I may keep it but not very happy with it, as at the shorter focal lengh distortion at the edges of the image is extreme, very bad. In the center is not very sharp. However in medium and longer focal lengh everything seems acceptable. Also I dislike a noise that the image stabilizator makes with the lens out of the camera and in vertical position, as I shake it sofly sidewards.

Oct 26, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pedropedro to your Buddy List
micos

Registered: Nov 16, 2009
Review Date: Oct 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, very good build quality, right size and price, great warranty
Cons:
Extreme corners not sharp and distorted at any F. stop, AF unreliable in low light, focusing ring rotates and no full time MF.

This lens replaced my long time workhorse, Canon 17-40L whose AF module bite the dust I did not want to ditch 400$ to repair it.
It is quite a different beast, very sharp and with excellent contrast. I do not care much for OS (or IS for Canon users) in this focal range, and to be honest I do not see much of the difference
compared to non-IS 17-40. Steady hands I guess...anyhow, I have chosen this version over old 18-50 2.8 EX because of HSM focus motor and totally new optical construction - and boy is it better! Took over 4.000 field images in the past two months and had some mixed impressions. As long as there is enough light for the camera/lens to focus without flash or camera assist beam this little guy delivers great results, at ANY F stop but in particular from f. 3.5 and up. But, as soon as you bring it into dim interior (most wedding reception halls) it shows its other nature. All of a sudden, despite giving focus confirmation in the viewfinder, AF is all over the place and most often way back from the focus plane.
As soon as there is some extra light or light level in the room goes up for any reason - AF is bang-on again. Just for the reference, this seems to be exactly the same on three camera bodies. I will take it to Sigma for check-up and see if this improves, if not, this alone makes it unworkable for professional use.
Other than that I really like it, very sharp, there is a bit more corner distortion than with 17-40L ( do NOT put people`s faces nowhere near edges of the frame) but than again not quite a fair comparison since 17-40 takes its sweet spot on a cropped sensor. Will post update after Sigma check-up...

Oct 15, 2010