Zeiss 35mm f/2 Distagon T*

34 48650 Dec 14, 2013
9.8
35mm

The Versatile Reporter
This classic focal length with a moderate wide-angle perspective
is perfectly suited for commercial, location and nature photography. The Distagon T* 2/35 is designed to provide very high image quality over a wide range of apertures and focusing ranges. The fast f/2 aperture enables hand-held photography under difficult lighting conditions and the short focus rotation is well-suited for fast action photography. The Distagon T* 2/35 is available with the F bayonet (ZF), K bayonet (ZK) and M42 (ZS) lens mounts and is designed for use with full-frame SLR and DSLR cameras. A special floating elements design offers constant high performance over the entire distance range.
Combined with a DSLR with a 1.5 crop factor, the lens has an effective focal length of 53 mm and can be used as a standard focal length for a natural viewing perspective.

Focal length 35 mm
Aperture range f/2.0 f/22 (1/2 steps)
Focusing range 0,3 m infinity
Number of elements/groups 9/7
Angular field, diag./horiz. 62/53
Coverage at close range 19 x 13 cm
Filter thread M 58 x 0.75
Dimensions (with caps) 64 mm, length 97 mm
Weight 530 g
Camera mounts EF Mount (ZE) F Mount (ZF & ZF.2) K Mount (ZK) M42 Screw Mount (ZS)

rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Dec 14, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,117.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fantastic color rendition, pretty small, nice bokeh, sharp!
Cons:
The lens cap, as in all zeiss lenses, is a joke.

Decided recently to buy one of these, after parting with my Canon 35mm 1.4. The Zeiss is fantastic - love the color rendition, and the size is great. Don't miss the 1.4, and don't miss the AF.

Dec 14, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
Dpedraza

Registered: Jan 8, 2013
Review Date: Dec 11, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, well built,
Cons:

I bought it used from an FM user. It is a great lens my copy was super sharp. I love the build quality of Zeiss. This lens isn't overl big or heavy either. It works great on the D800/D600

Dec 11, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dpedraza to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, sharp, great colour
Cons:

Amazing glass in a nice package. I use this mainly from f2 to f4 and the image and contrast absolutely shine.
I have been using the Canon 35L for many years and was happy, but I wanted something that can give me better color and microcontrast for that "realism"...Zeiss fits that package to a T, or should I say T*.
Great lens and design..if it was Autofocus, it would probably be double its price. Nonetheless, a great lens for general photography.

May 31, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
chmod

Registered: May 18, 2006
Review Date: Jan 3, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, discreet size, almost analog feel to the output
Cons:
lens cap designed as a practical joke?

The thing about this lens is the way it resolves - it reminds me very strongly of the better days of film.

I cannot quantify the look or support it with micro specs, but will share the feedback I have received from colleagues - we all agree it has a classic "analog" feel to the images, and in the most positive ways.

Rich colors, tack sharp, subtle contrasts and overall lack of clinical digital look are apt characteristics to describe it.

Used exclusively on a long holiday in Italy, I grew very fond of the discretion of the lens, the inconsequential footprint when traversing tourist areas packed with DSLRs and massive lens kit.

It focuses beautifully on my 1Ds MIII as the knob is solid and without play. 35mm is a very good range for general walk around use and wide enough for honest landcape rendering.

There is really nothing to externally indicate this is a special lens except for the end results.

Some examples....

Jan 3, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chmod to your Buddy List
GOVA

Registered: Nov 23, 2002
Review Date: Dec 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, bokeh, subject isolation, color reproduction.
Cons:

Superb built quality, great focus ring and its action. Excellent bokeh.

Sharpens and subject isolation at F/2.0 are excellent. Replaced Sigma 30mm f/1.4 with this. No comparison, those are different animals.

It actually feels great going back to MF. It reminds me of built quality of older lenses such as Pentacon 135mm. Solid metal feel, great focus ring and action.

Dec 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GOVA to your Buddy List
Ulan

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Oct 23, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Impressive sharpness, beautiful contrast and colors, solidly built, nice to handle
Cons:

Really a top glass. On a full frame or on a 7D.

Oct 23, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ulan to your Buddy List
martyn.

Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Review Date: Sep 29, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image quality, colours and contrast in images is amazing, really does make images pop.
Cons:
Lens cap ( replaced with a Nikon one )

The images this lens produces on my D700 are amazing, no problem with manual focusing, reminds me of my youth when I started photography.

If I was only taking one prime attached to my D700 this would be my first pick.

This was my first venture into Zeiss, I soon added the 25/2.8, and I am now looking at the 50/2 or 100/2 to complete my set, truly wonderful optics.

Sep 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add martyn. to your Buddy List
evannuil

Registered: Sep 15, 2011
Review Date: Sep 15, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great IQ, very sharp, build quality
Cons:
No auto focus

I was looking for a 50mm on my Canon EOS 7D so that was a 35mm with the crop factor. After reading lots of reviews I looked at this lens. A great site that helped a lot was http://diglloyd.com/prem/prot/ZF/publish/35Distagon.html His review and samples made me take a look at Zeiss. After testing it in the camerastore I was sold.

Here are some samples I shot with this lens:

Sep 15, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evannuil to your Buddy List
arcticchilla

Registered: Apr 25, 2008
Review Date: Jul 14, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp wide open
Cons:
Focus ring is a little tight. Would like to see it have a little more play.

This lens is amazingly sharp wide open. After contemplating going manual focus this lens made the jump well worth it. I feel a connection to all of my photo's now. Can't wait to see what I can create with this piece of art.

Jul 14, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add arcticchilla to your Buddy List
ViscaB

Registered: Sep 9, 2009
Review Date: Jul 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness (already at large apertures), colors, contrast, rendering, build, smooth focussing ring, great value.
Cons:
Minor barrel distortion, lens cap hard to put on (that goes for all Zeiss lenses it seems).

I love this lens. I mostly use it for night panorama's at f/5.6. It's incredibly sharp already by then and the contrast and colors are superb.

Images speak louder than words. An example of a night panorama I took with this lens @ f/5.6 with my 5D mark II. Around 5,000 * 2,500 pixels.

The lens is almost as sharp as my benchmark Zeiss MakroPlanar 50 2. Which I think is a really strong performance for a 35mm lens.

The minor barrel distortion it exhibits can be fixed in Photoshop in a minimal amount of time.

Jul 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ViscaB to your Buddy List
cputeq

Registered: Jun 24, 2008
Review Date: Jun 24, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, build quality, manual focus feel, contrast, colors.
Cons:
Vignetting wide open (though I like it), price.

I bought the EOS mount of this lens brand-new after pouring over lens recommendations and reviews, including Lloyd's excellent site.

Great lens, very smooth manual focus action like anyone would expect. So far I have had zero problems with the lens or the hood, great all around.

What might concern some people is the vignetting at f/2 - it can be rather strong, but easily corrected. Frankly I like the vignette so I usually never correct it. Lightroom 3 has a profile for this lens and will easily correct any faults, though half the time I leave the shots as-is.

Great color, great contrast, a decent price (for a Zeiss) - a very nice lens in a great focal range on my 5D2.

Jun 24, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cputeq to your Buddy List
mvinson

Registered: Dec 13, 2010
Review Date: May 10, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,017.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Vivid colors, sharp details, manual focus.
Cons:
I didn't buy it sooner.

As my kids would say. OMG! I've been shooting the Canon 35mm L lens on my 5D Mark ii and switched to this lens. I love the manual focus - it connects me back to what I am shooting. Get the matte focusing glass and you will never have to guess what is in focus again. I took a street photo of an artist and the colors and detail leap off the page. I am so happy with this purchase.

May 10, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mvinson to your Buddy List
pkupcik

Registered: Jul 27, 2006
Review Date: Apr 27, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, sharpness, colors, contrast, Zeiss look, smooth manual focus.
Cons:
Vignetting, distortion

I bought this lens in addition to my Zeiss 50/2 ZE and Zeiss 100/2 ZE. This lens is in the same league and produces very comparable images, as far as the image quality and Zeiss look goes. I have ultimately sold the lens as 35mm was an awkward focal length for me. If 35mm lens is what you need, you should give this lens a serious try. The only negatives I noticed were vignetting between f/2-2.8 and geometrical distortions. The distortions are probably normal considering it's a slightly wide angle lens, but it may be noticeable. Adobe Ligthroom does a great job to automatically correct for the vignetting and distortions. The price of the lens is appropriate and reasonable.

Apr 27, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pkupcik to your Buddy List
helimat

Registered: Apr 6, 2008
Review Date: Mar 28, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, well built, smooth focus ring, signature Zeiss contrast & sharpness
Cons:
Well, no lens is perfect I suppose. I guess I could mention light falloff in the corners wide open, or even the lack of AF, but these 'issues' have ever really affected me.

A great lens wide open or stopped down. It seems to me that it is in my bag more often than not... In fact it is rarely out, so I guess that itself is pretty good testimonial.

Mar 28, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add helimat to your Buddy List
Jon Shafer

Registered: Apr 16, 2007
Review Date: Nov 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,004.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Unparalleled build quality, fantastic image rendering, contrast, color, legendary Zeiss "3D".
Cons:
Price, lack of AF.

After reading the reviews here on FM I decided that I needed to own a piece of Zeiss glass to go with my collection of Canon lenses. At first I bought a 50mm Makro Planar which I played with for a week or so. Even though the IQ was fabulous I wasn't so impressed with the macro shots, and because I already own a Canon 50mm 1.4, I couldn't see tying up $1,200 plus for a redundant focal length. I returned the lens and studied the reviews for a few days until I decided to give the 35mm f/2 a try. It seemed like of all of the Zeiss offerings, if there was one single lens that people were truly stoked about it was this one. I have a Canon 24-70 and shoot with both a 1D Mk III and a 7D and I though the 35mm would fill a niche. I bought a 35mm and tried it the first time and was disappointed with the results due to out of focus shots. I have serious vision problems so lack of AF is a real challenge for me. Trying Live View to focus solved the problem, but I really wanted to be able to shoot on the fly, so I ordered a EC-s focus screen. Once I installed that, I was totally blown away with the results. I can't wait to get more opportunities to shoot surfing with this lens.

Here are a couple of sample test images:

Buy this lens, it is a sure bet. Good as gold!!

Aloha Nui Loa,
Jon

Nov 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jon Shafer to your Buddy List
dimitris77

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Oct 28, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, colors, bokeh, small size and build quality.
Cons:
Vignetting.

I replaced my 35L with this. Needless to say that I haven't regretted it my choice. The Zeiss has a lot better characteristics and it makes the Canon look plain and flat. Build quality is excellent and its pretty easy to use. It makes an excellent walkaround lens coupled with a 5D.

Oct 28, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimitris77 to your Buddy List

Zeiss 35mm f/2 Distagon T*