Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

171 329699 Jan 16, 2014
ef300mmf_4_1_

Compact L-series telephoto lens with an Image Stabilizer which compensates for camera shake with the equivalent effect of a shutter speed two stops faster. Two Image Stabilizer modes are provided: Stabilizer Mode 1 (the same mode featured on the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM) and the new Stabilizer Mode 2 which steadies the image during horizontal or vertical panning. Mode 2 detects the panning direction automatically. The closest focusing distance is 4.9 feet (1.5 m).

buddyRoland

Registered: Oct 30, 2008
Review Date: Jun 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast autofocus; sharp images; beautiful bokeh; macro-like photography from a distance
Cons:
Noisy IS.

I really wanted a 300mm 2.8 and will still get one in the future, but not the very near future because this prime telephoto lens performs superbly.

It takes excellent shots in less than favorable lighting. Outside it focuses better with my 1D3 better but inside my 5D2 with this lens takes better consistent pics.

I thought I would be using my 1D3 with this lens more but I reallly prefer it with my 5D2. With the 5D2 it produces beautiful images and wonderful headshots.

I perused the pages on this forum which gave me the confidence to purchase this lens. I am truly thankful for the informative posts.

Highly recommend.

Jun 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add buddyRoland to your Buddy List
bcguy

Registered: Apr 17, 2010
Review Date: Jun 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's very sharp, even wide open. It's not heavy for it's focal length. The IS works very well--I have gotten sharp shots down to 1/45 of a second! The built in hood is great! I like the fact that it can focus down to 59". It's very solidly constructed. Finally, it's relatively inexpensive for its focal length.
Cons:
The lens is great. I don't have anything to complain about. It could be cheaper, but compared to other lenses with comparable focal lengths, it's pretty reasonable.

My wife encouraged me to buy a longer lens, and for the budget, this is probably the most versatile fixed focal length moderately long lens that I could have bought. I often found myself needing something longer than the 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens which was my longest lens. I'm a prime lens freak, so I had the EF 200mm f/2.8 II in mind. My wife thought that something a little longer would open up new opportunities for me. As it turns out, she was right.

At first I was hesitant: would I find an f/4 lens useful? I usually shoot with rather wide apertures, so f/4 seemed very slow. I bought it thinking that there was a good possibility of returning it. Boy, was I wrong!

Looking through the viewfinder with this lens attached is such a joy. Backgrounds disappear into beautiful spherical highlights and soft blur. I didn't understand how much focal length effects the perceived depth of field. I'm blown away by this lens! They say the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM is better in every way, but I am very pleased with what the f/4 version can do.

When I say it's sharp, I mean it's SHARP. Let me show some examples:

wide open: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4693722944_2c59232bbb_b.jpg

at f/5.0: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4692849658_007afe0c82_b.jpg

and here's another at f/4.5: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/4692217473_a5c04e7679_b.jpg

Just for fun, to show you what it does with out of focus highlights (shot at f/4.5): http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4715553807_74d7100bea_b.jpg

The IS makes the lens very useful. I don't tend to use a tripod as much as I should, so IS allows me to use this lens on a regular basis. If I didn't have it, I'd have a bunch of blurry photos, and I'd be disappointed. I use this lens as I use any other lens in my collection--mostly hand held. If you like to be spontaneous and rarely use a tripod, like I do, you'll find this invaluable.

All in all, I'm really thrilled with the EF 300mm f/4L IS USM.

So what's wrong with it? It's not the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM. I'll admit it. I like to have the best. It pains me that I cannot afford the best at this time. That's okay, though. I'll get many, many great photos while I'm waiting.

Jun 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bcguy to your Buddy List
MichaD

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Fast AF, close min-focus
Cons:
CA stopped down, sharpness not that impressive. Old IS system.N

While the lens is definitely decently sharp I expected better from a L-prime.

Apr 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MichaD to your Buddy List
andrew81

Registered: Jun 15, 2004
Review Date: Apr 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight compact f4 is pretty fast awesome out of focus background very sharp and very contrasty easily hand holdable
Cons:
my tripod mount is a bit sticky so when I have it on a mono or tripod going from horizontal to vertical and vice versa is awkward.

I actually have the non-is version and I think it is very old. However this is easily the best lens I have ever used. Better than the 300 2.8 and 400 2.8. I shoot triathlon so the small size of this lens is a blessing. It takes a 1.4 converter very well. I do find the AF not as spot on when using anything other than the centre AF. I love this lens so much that I really dont want to sell it to upgrade to a 2.8 lens!

Apr 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add andrew81 to your Buddy List
juan65

Registered: Feb 4, 2009
Review Date: Feb 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp lens, great for close up, minimum focus distance 1.5 meter can be switch to 3 m, IS, USM, I like the push and pull hood,(yes it can be locked when extended) it makes the polarizer filter a lot easier to use.
Cons:
none, and the IS is not noisy in my copy,

first pictures came out with soft focus, I did the micro adjustment in my 7D to +12 and problem solved, so make sure your camera has the micro adjustment feature before you buy this lens,
I also recommend you buying from a dealer in your area, were you can walk in, test the lens in your camera and take it with you if you buy it,
trying to avoid sales tax from out of states online sales, may bring you problems, a lot of calls shipping lens back and all that bad stuff.

check out this tread; http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/868616/0#8142846
there is a picture of the lens with my camera in there.

because this lens has moving parts inside; the IS (image stabilizer)
I only recommend buying a new one,

buy it!

Juan

Feb 18, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add juan65 to your Buddy List
victoriae

Registered: Sep 13, 2009
Review Date: Sep 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Not to big or heavy, very sharp, hand holdable for most shots, macro, reasonable price
Cons:
IS a little noisey but is not a problem

Hi my first post, This is one of my best lenses and i have quite a lot of L glass, works well with the 1.4x converter. I was able to hand hold this with the 1.4x converter and on a 50D.

I also use this with my 1D MK iii for motorsport and gives superb results.

I think all things considered this is a very good lens and one i shall keep.

Sep 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add victoriae to your Buddy List
tonyat

Registered: Jun 23, 2008
Review Date: Sep 9, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Affordable for a long L lens. IS and Ring USM. Good Build Quality. Great in the sharpness, contrast and color departments.
Cons:
None from my point of view.

I was using a Tamron 70-300 was just not satisfied with it. I decided I needed better image quality and IS. I did like the 300mm focal length on a crop body, though. Was considering Canon's 70-300 with IS, but after a lot of research went with this lens and really do like it.

Colors and image sharpness just knock me dead compared with what I had before. The IS has increased my keeper rate dramatically. The Ring USM focusing is a great improvement. I am not a pro, but I still appreciate the build quality even if it is a little heavier.

Sep 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tonyat to your Buddy List
Eggyj

Registered: Nov 5, 2003
Review Date: Jul 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid performance. Sharp, decent bokeh, portable, and flexible. Excellent close focus (1.5m). Built in hood. IS works fine. Good value. Good coatings, relatively light weight
Cons:

A well balanced design. Close focus (not sure what previous reviewer was talking about at 6m ??) is a BIG advantage over prior 300mm design and 400 mm f5.6. Extremely flexible with 1.4x TC and ext. tubes or 500D. Provides very close focus 420 IS f5.6 with decent image quality, although rougher bokeh, and slower focus. IS could use a minor update but I've never had it let me down and I don't find the IS on my newer 70-300mm to be that much more effective - they both work. If you're shooting sunsets or distant scenics the old design with fewer lens elements might be better (better contrast less ghosting) but for field work with small critters and low light this lens is vastly superior.
One of the few reasons I still stick with Canon. I would love to see the same make-over of the 400 f5.6 (new gen IS, fast focus, and close focus <= 1.5m).

Jul 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Eggyj to your Buddy List
Janika

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Jun 30, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy to carry and handle, Relatively sharp, fast AF, Excellent for taking in-flight shots. Stabilizer works well for still objects, decent price-tag, Built in hood. Short min focusing distance, decent macro abilities.
Cons:
Not as sharp as it's predecessor, as it has more elements/glass, and a TC will make it worst.

Had this lens for almost 4-months and I liked it, but You have to be lucky to get a sharp copy, which is a shame from Canon L series product. I recommend it for runway shoots, motor-sports, or winter sports. Way too short for birding / wildlife and a TC will slow your USM down. I sold mine this week and getting a 400mm prime instead.

Jun 30, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Janika to your Buddy List
canonet

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 12, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: SHARP-SHARP lens! Beautiful colors
Cons:
Still an F4 and needs a longer minimal focus distance choice like 6 meters.

I bought this lens 2 years ago to use for football and has returned fabulous images and prefer to use this more than my 70-200 2.8L lens! The IS will let me use it down to 1/160 sec (reliably) and 1/125( if necessary) handheld. if you must have a telephoto prime and cannot afford a 300 2.8L, get this one and you will not be dissapointed.

The only downside is in many lowlight situations where you need the shutter speed, the F4 is fast enough. Also, needs a longer minimal focusing distance choice; 6 meters.

Jun 12, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add canonet to your Buddy List
supershot

Registered: Dec 30, 2005
Review Date: Mar 9, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: sorry I made a mistake ,I tryed a used one before which was damaged ,after trying a new one , I am very impressed,very sharp and good color I give it a 10 !!
Cons:
non what so ever

I rate this lens a 10

Mar 9, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add supershot to your Buddy List
supershot

Registered: Dec 30, 2005
Review Date: Mar 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros:
Cons:

Mar 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add supershot to your Buddy List
irispatch

Registered: Feb 3, 2008
Review Date: Mar 6, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, image quality, versatility Telephoto to close up in one lens.
Cons:

Size packs easily in a carry on or my vest. Weight, light enough to hand hold and carry all day. Image quality is outstanding. After Renting a 100-400 twice and finding them lacking in sharpness and versatility I researched lenses for 6 months looking for something to photograph birds with that was withing my budget. The 300mm f4L kept coming up as a very good wildlife option for a crop camera. Since I like to photograph birds , flowers and insects this lens is ideal for me. The 400mm lacks IS and does not have the ability to perform as a close-up lens too. After a week in Florida I am very happy with the results, razor sharp images, with great color. I may just let the 70-200 F4IS go since this spends as much time on the camera as my 100 F2.8.

Mar 6, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add irispatch to your Buddy List
Barry Tucker

Registered: Feb 20, 2009
Review Date: Feb 20, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and bright on my Canon 50D. My copy is sharp, weight is comforting and perfect for wildlife. I take pride in ownership of this very beautiful lens.
Cons:

This really is a nice lens, but keep in mind it is a 300mm prime.
I own 2 "L" lenses, and the quality is outstanding on both my L glass lenses.
For me it was worth the money, I love this lens.

Feb 20, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Barry Tucker to your Buddy List
HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Jan 8, 2009 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast and light
Cons:

linked is taken using this lens with canon 2X extender

http://suprasonic.aminus3.com/image/2009-01-06.html (2X extender)

Jan 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
KKFung

Registered: Dec 19, 2008
Review Date: Dec 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,070.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small and light weight Tele, good focal length for both sport, protrait and wild life. Very good fit for travel
Cons:
No cons due to it is the cheapest white prime

Just bought a new one and tried protrait, sport and wild live, it is a all purpose tele in FF application

Excellent IQ and handling. I found it is just beyond the size limit for travel, any lens bigger than this size you will find trouble during walk and shoot.

Dec 28, 2008