Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

110 140713 Jan 26, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34 - 12
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

danb708

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Blazing fast autofocus
Cons:
Weight

What can I say, this lens is brilliant. I owned the mk1 version of this lens several years ago and had to sell it for financial reasons, it was my biggest regret. I finally got to purchase the mk2 version and all I can say is wow. The autofocus is extremely fast and this lens is really sharp at 2.8. Combine the sharpness and the bokeh and you cant beat the combo. Go out and purchase one and you wont regret it!

Jan 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add danb708 to your Buddy List
StarNut

Registered: Aug 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ; sharpness corner-to-corner; focusing speed; build quality
Cons:

I've had this lens for three years, and it's still my favorite lens. It's amazingly sharp, gives good contrast and colors, and takes well to hiking in dusty places (assuming you're able to carry it; it's heavy!). Truly an amazing piece of optics.

Dec 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add StarNut to your Buddy List
fozzybear69

Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 18, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8, IS 4 stops, build, amazing bokeh, great colors, contrast, insanely sharp.
Cons:
Expensive, heavy.

Amazing creamy smooth bokeh, sharpness, colour, contrast. 99% of the shots are sharp and in focus. Way too expensive and need to get use to the weight. Because it's too expensive I returned the lens and stuck with my 70-200 L f/4.

Nov 18, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fozzybear69 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: May 1, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Tried another sample...great sharpness
Cons:
There may be some quality control issues with these lenses

I have now one through 5 samples of this lens. One did not fit tight on the camera's lens mount. Another once made a terrible grinding noise when IS was engaged, so I finally settled on one with superb sharpness but there may be a slight problem with the IS (it occasionally causes the image through the viewfinder to lurch a slight bit...not sure if this is normal or not). Apparently there seem to be some quality control issues with the current crop of these lenses...so I will keep my rating at 8.

May 1, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: Apr 24, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very fast and accurate AF. Very good IS.
Cons:
Not as sharp wide open as I had expected. Overpriced.

Somewhat confused concerning this lens. After reading countless reviews, I decided to trade my non IS version for this lens only to find that even after trying 3 copies it is just not as sharp as I had hoped for when shooting wide open. Yes, the corners are better than those from the non IS but that's about it. It is big, it is heavy, and I am just not impressed with its F2.8 capabilities. I think that the non IS at $1000 less is a far better value.

Apr 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Mar 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: image quality at 200mm finally! sharpness
Cons:
heavy, my wife sometimes struggles holding the whole day, takes up lot of space

I was hesitant to upgrade from the previous version for a long time. I had to admit it was a big mistake! I am glad I did!!!! I think there is a big difference in image quality and mostly in sharpness! Honestly, I never liked the image quality of the Mark I at 200mm wide open. It has changed now! This is a must to have lens, period. You see tons of images with this lens on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haring-Photography/154205936576?ref=nf

Mar 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
leo5d

Registered: Aug 6, 2012
Review Date: Aug 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: scherp, AF erg snel, mooie bokeh, IS voldoet prima.
Cons:
Nog geen nadelen gevonden.

Ik ben zeer tevreden over dit objectief.
Foto's gemaakt met de 1d mark 3 en de 5d mark 2 zien er geweldig uit.
IS voldoet uitstekend.
Foto's gemaakt op 1/60 [200mm] zijn niet bewogen.

Al met al, een kwalitatieve prima aankoop

Aug 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leo5d to your Buddy List
vsg28

Registered: May 7, 2012
Review Date: Jul 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, aperture, sharpness
Cons:
Weight

I was able to finally buy this beauty before my San Antonio trip and its first major test came in the local underground caverns. A prime would not have worked given the varying features and this lens came through big time. It was able to focus in very low light and the pictures came out great. I had a keeper rate of over 80% in such lighting conditions.

Next up I was asked to cover a Guinness world record attempt on a track field. Decent lighting conditions and never did I bother changing the aperture from 2.8; all the pictures were razor sharp. Once you are used to the weight and the justifications you gave while spending so much on this lens, you will only appreciate it more.

Jul 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vsg28 to your Buddy List
sf2photos

Registered: Mar 4, 2012
Review Date: Jul 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Ultra Sharpness.
Cons:

Staggeringly good images. I've read what other people have said of this lens, and decided to invest. It's all true, it is very nearly a bag full of primes. The color rendition available is second to none, and sharpness is excellent. (To be fair I use it on a crop body so cannot comment for corner to corner sharpness on a full frame). Being so wide an aperture, using a 2x TC is available without tape trick, with marginal reduction in quality...but it still more than holds its own against similar aperture/length lenses such as the 100-400L.

The weight is significant but i've only found it a problem after a full day with this lens, body, bag and a tripod too. If anything, it feels solid rather than heavy.
Highly Recommended.

Jul 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sf2photos to your Buddy List
amesbah

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Jun 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Optically and mechanicaly first class.
Cons:
Slight FF vignetting.

Hearing all the praise for this mkII lens I decided I needed to own one.

Its resolving power cannot be overstated providing insanely sharp 200mm images the you can crop all day.

The only very slight negative is the level of vignetting that can be seen at 200mm/2.8 although its certainly no worse than other L lenses.

70mm on the wide end also provides many uses for this lens.

Jun 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amesbah to your Buddy List
arvindkanchi

Registered: Jul 5, 2005
Review Date: Jun 19, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Build Quality, f2.8 and IS
Cons:
Price and weight..

Excellent lens from Canon. One of the very best i have used. Like the sharpness and bokeh on my portraits. I believe this is the best telephoto zoom lens that canon has built till date and i recommend it to all.

Jun 19, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add arvindkanchi to your Buddy List
aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: May 15, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrast, colour, AF speed
Cons:
Weight, Even the high price is worth it

The best lens I've ever had. Very good sharpness at 2.8. I even can't see the difference in sharpness between 2.8 and 5.6
The most beautifull closeups on my site are made with this lens.
www.totaalfotografie.nl

May 15, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
detroitrock

Registered: Apr 17, 2012
Review Date: Apr 17, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast and resolves an astonishing amount of detail.
Cons:

I never upgraded from my old 80-200mm2.8L due solely to the reason that its immediate successors where not as sharp. Being in retail I had plenty of opportunity but optical quality is what counted to me. Its resolving power was superb. Once I had tested the new Mk II it was a foregone conclusion. The detail this lens can resolve beggars belief. Price, weight or any potential cons do not matter. This lens is superlative. For the past year I have been a fulltime wedding shooter and this lens is bolted to a 1DMKIV. I find that combination perfectly balanced and manageable and get a great success rate at 1/40th of a second.

Buy it! You will not regret it.

David

Apr 17, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add detroitrock to your Buddy List
Todd Klassy

Registered: Sep 27, 2010
Review Date: Apr 4, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, fast autofocus, rugged, and image stabilization.
Cons:
Price is a tad steep, but well worth it. It is also a tad heavy.

I did a lot of research before purchasing this lens. I live and work in a very remote corner of Montana and it is important that my gear work well because it is often difficult to replace and/or fix quickly.

I was very pleased with the first gyration of this lens, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I), and wondered if this new version would be worthy of its replacement. I very quickly learned it was. When I first looked at images I took with this lens a very broad smile came to my face.

In addition to the images being super sharp, the autofocus on this lens is very snappy and very accurate. And like all 'L' lenses this lens is built very well and the weather sealing is always a plus.

I generally used this lens with my Canon EOS 5D Mark II and my IR-converted Canon EOS 5D (Mark I). It really shines on cameras with a large sensor. Its improvement in image quality is a must if you own a camera with > 18 MP and the difference in quality on my 5D Mark II is quite obvious.

I guess my only problem with the lens is its weight. When coupled with a Canon 5D Mark II + a battery grip, my rig is quite heavy, especially when swinging it up and down 1000 or more times every day for many weeks. In doing so I developed tennis elbow (i.e. tendinitis) and it took many months and exercises for it to go away. Shocking, but true.

That said, this lens is so exceptional it is well worth the pain of having to fight through tendinitis.

I came from a world of primarily prime lenses (i.e. 135mm f/2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 50mm f/1.4, 24mm f/2.8L, etc.) because I was never satisfied with the image quality of zoom lenses. But this Canon lens changed all of that. And now it is the lens that gets more use on my camera(s) than any other lens.

Here are some examples of photographs I have taken with this exceptional lens...

Three bison (or buffalo) dash across the open prairie in front of me on the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation in Montana:

A horse rears its head at the moon while high atop a ridge near Havre, Montana:

A cowgirl and her horse as the sun sets over Montana:

A yellow-bellied marmot, otherwise known as a rock chuck, spotted at Glacier National Park in Montana.

An Air Tractor AT-301 crop duster flies low over a wheat field spraying fungicide near Chester, Montana:

A very long row of electrical poles disappear over the horizon near Big Sandy, Montana:

Needless to say, I am very happy with this lens. I worried about the price when I first purchased it because I wondered if it would be that much better than its predecessor, but I can say with confidence it was worth every cent and has paid for itself many times over.

Apr 4, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Todd Klassy to your Buddy List
annoh

Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Review Date: Feb 22, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: High optical performances Fast AF Effective image stabilization Sealed against dust and water Nice bokeh
Cons:
High purchase price Large and heavy

I use this lens in my studio and in the field. My camera is a 5D MK2. The autofocus is fast and the image stabilization is very effective. The weight is substantial and the finishing is of a high level. Optically, there is little to be desired of the lens. I like to work with a small DOF and it is possible to use this lens at f/2.8.

Feb 22, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add annoh to your Buddy List
dimitris77

Registered: Aug 28, 2005
Review Date: Feb 16, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent lens overall. Sharp, fast focusing, IS helps a lot. Its definitely a keeper. Competes with 200L and the Zeiss 100MP I used to have.
Cons:
Size but you already knew about it. Also price. Its x2 the price of the non-IS version.

Feb 16, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dimitris77 to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM