Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

120 150059 Nov 12, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34 - 12
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

aestiva

Registered: Feb 17, 2009
Review Date: Nov 12, 2014 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Sharpness, even on 2.8 Fast AF Build like a tank Color and contrast
Cons:
Weight It's expensive but worth the price

One of the best zoomlenses Canon ever made. It's one of my favourite lenses for details at Hindu and Chinese weddings and some times at receptions.

I also own a 2.0III extender and this lens is even with the extender the sharpnes is amazing! I don't see much difference with the 100-400 L. Almost every outdoor zoomed weddingpicture on my page http://facebook.com/totaalfotografie is made with this piece of art!

Only buy this lens if you need the hole range! Otherwise go for the 100mm 2.8L IS Macro (it's even sharper than the 70-200) of for the 135 2.0 for the bokeh en weight.

Nov 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aestiva to your Buddy List
caMARYnon

Registered: Jan 29, 2013
Location: Romania
Review Date: Nov 2, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, IS, AF, BQ, bokeh
Cons:
Weight

Nov 2, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add caMARYnon to your Buddy List
oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Oct 2, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: This is an extremely sharp lens, with a beautiful bokeh, if you know what you doing there is an incredible potential in this lens to produce beautiful results, very quick autofocus
Cons:
high price, huge, and heavy compare to average lenses

This is simply a fantastic lens, super sharp at 200mm f/2.8. The bokeh is also very pleasing. Together with the versatility you get, there is a huge potential in this lens. Unfortunately very pricey. Perhaps nowadays easier to get used at a more affordable price.

See in more detail the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L is II here:

Oct 2, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
Soulphoto2014

Registered: Sep 3, 2014
Review Date: Sep 3, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons:

Perfect optics, for everything i'll rate it 10/10, only for price i'll give it a 4/10, could be cheaper.

Sep 3, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Soulphoto2014 to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Aug 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid and sharp, IS
Cons:
$

The best 70-200 to date. In fact it creates images that are comparable to prime lenses in the same zoom range.
Just brilliant.

Aug 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
datfish

Registered: Mar 1, 2012
Review Date: Jul 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp, Colour ,Slick AF, Creamy Bokeh , Build and IS
Cons:
None... OK ! If really picky the weight but what do you expect

STUNNING....simply Stunning on a crop (7D) or a FF (5D3).

Have used for three years now for sports, events and some portrait work. The go to lens on most occasions has been this beauty.

Just today I sold my 300 F4 that was bought at the same time for "sharp " extra reach but it hardly saw action. (That was a good buy for some one @ $1050)

Instead I have used the 70-200mm with both 1.4X & 2X EXT iii's to get extra reach when needed, and even with a 1.4 this beautiful piece of kit beats the 300mm F4 hands down. With a 2x Ext its probably a dead heat except the 70-200 is longer.

If you are thinking about getting one just take a deep breathe and go for it! You won't be disappointed.

I still retain my 70-200mm F4 IS USM as a lightweight option when weight matters.... but whilst also brilliant , the F4 is not in the same league when it comes to resolution! Few things are !

Jul 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add datfish to your Buddy List
fotonunta

Registered: Jul 6, 2014
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jul 6, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, build, sharpness and contrast
Cons:
price and weight

Best lens i ever tested! It's fast, sharp and build like a tank - i love it!

Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta | Foto video nunta

Jul 6, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotonunta to your Buddy List
tomlamb47

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, with fast and accurate focus acquisition. Takes teleconverter very well. Very good build quaility.
Cons:
price

This was part of my initial purchase of Canon equiptment when I swiched from Olympus in May of 2012, and is my most used lens. I wanted a lens to use for both sports, mainly basketball, and wildlife, mostly birds. And I haven't been disappointed. While I expected teleconverters to degrade the performance it is still very good when using the 2X iii for BIF in good light and when using the 1.4x iii I notice no real difference from the bare lens.

Jun 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tomlamb47 to your Buddy List
Keith Broad

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Review Date: Jun 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. nice contrast, great bokeh, fast and accurate focus, well built, well balanced
Cons:
heavy, price

I resisted buying this lens for a long time, partly because I had the 70-200 f4L. It was still the one lens that everyone raved about that I could still afford (without my wife noticing).

I eventually decided to get it, based on the shots I have seen on Flickr and other sites.

Having used it for a few weeks now, I can say that this is a beautiful piece of equipment. It is versatile, delivers great IQ, it is fast and it is very sharp. I am really sorry that I left it for so long. From a cup half full perspective, I am glad that I had the opportunity to get it Smile

Jun 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Broad to your Buddy List
moiman

Registered: Nov 30, 2011
Review Date: May 10, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,090.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weather sealed,superb sharpness /contrast even wide open,fast focus/quiet,IS
Cons:
Cost/ weight but that's reality. Quality throughout outweighs these relatively minor cons.

It's a lens you can depend on to produce exceptional image quality. Should be in everyone's lens arsenal if speed is needed or used with extenders. Work horse range and built tough. I had the non IS version previously and it was sharp but IS is a God send. Always a pleasure to use.Wish all lenses were this good!

May 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add moiman to your Buddy List
danb708

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Blazing fast autofocus
Cons:
Weight

What can I say, this lens is brilliant. I owned the mk1 version of this lens several years ago and had to sell it for financial reasons, it was my biggest regret. I finally got to purchase the mk2 version and all I can say is wow. The autofocus is extremely fast and this lens is really sharp at 2.8. Combine the sharpness and the bokeh and you cant beat the combo. Go out and purchase one and you wont regret it!

Jan 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add danb708 to your Buddy List
StarNut

Registered: Aug 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ; sharpness corner-to-corner; focusing speed; build quality
Cons:

I've had this lens for three years, and it's still my favorite lens. It's amazingly sharp, gives good contrast and colors, and takes well to hiking in dusty places (assuming you're able to carry it; it's heavy!). Truly an amazing piece of optics.

Dec 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add StarNut to your Buddy List
fozzybear69

Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 18, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8, IS 4 stops, build, amazing bokeh, great colors, contrast, insanely sharp.
Cons:
Expensive, heavy.

Amazing creamy smooth bokeh, sharpness, colour, contrast. 99% of the shots are sharp and in focus. Way too expensive and need to get use to the weight. Because it's too expensive I returned the lens and stuck with my 70-200 L f/4.

Nov 18, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fozzybear69 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: May 1, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Tried another sample...great sharpness
Cons:
There may be some quality control issues with these lenses

I have now one through 5 samples of this lens. One did not fit tight on the camera's lens mount. Another once made a terrible grinding noise when IS was engaged, so I finally settled on one with superb sharpness but there may be a slight problem with the IS (it occasionally causes the image through the viewfinder to lurch a slight bit...not sure if this is normal or not). Apparently there seem to be some quality control issues with the current crop of these lenses...so I will keep my rating at 8.

May 1, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: Apr 24, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very fast and accurate AF. Very good IS.
Cons:
Not as sharp wide open as I had expected. Overpriced.

Somewhat confused concerning this lens. After reading countless reviews, I decided to trade my non IS version for this lens only to find that even after trying 3 copies it is just not as sharp as I had hoped for when shooting wide open. Yes, the corners are better than those from the non IS but that's about it. It is big, it is heavy, and I am just not impressed with its F2.8 capabilities. I think that the non IS at $1000 less is a far better value.

Apr 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Mar 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: image quality at 200mm finally! sharpness
Cons:
heavy, my wife sometimes struggles holding the whole day, takes up lot of space

I was hesitant to upgrade from the previous version for a long time. I had to admit it was a big mistake! I am glad I did!!!! I think there is a big difference in image quality and mostly in sharpness! Honestly, I never liked the image quality of the Mark I at 200mm wide open. It has changed now! This is a must to have lens, period. You see tons of images with this lens on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haring-Photography/154205936576?ref=nf

Mar 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM