Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

116 146983 Aug 11, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34 - 12
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Aug 11, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid and sharp, IS
Cons:
$

The best 70-200 to date. In fact it creates images that are comparable to prime lenses in the same zoom range.
Just brilliant.

Aug 11, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
datfish

Registered: Mar 1, 2012
Review Date: Jul 24, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp, Colour ,Slick AF, Creamy Bokeh , Build and IS
Cons:
None... OK ! If really picky the weight but what do you expect

STUNNING....simply Stunning on a crop (7D) or a FF (5D3).

Have used for three years now for sports, events and some portrait work. The go to lens on most occasions has been this beauty.

Just today I sold my 300 F4 that was bought at the same time for "sharp " extra reach but it hardly saw action. (That was a good buy for some one @ $1050)

Instead I have used the 70-200mm with both 1.4X & 2X EXT iii's to get extra reach when needed, and even with a 1.4 this beautiful piece of kit beats the 300mm F4 hands down. With a 2x Ext its probably a dead heat except the 70-200 is faster.

If you are thinking about getting one just take a deep breathe and go for it! You won't be disappointed.

I still retain my 70-200mm F4 IS USM as a lightweight option when weight matters.... but whilst also brilliant , the F4 is not in the same league when it comes to resolution! Few things are !

Jul 24, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add datfish to your Buddy List
fotonunta

Registered: Jul 6, 2014
Location: Romania
Review Date: Jul 6, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, build, sharpness and contrast
Cons:
price and weight

Best lens i ever tested! It's fast, sharp and build like a tank - i love it!

Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta | Foto video nunta

Jul 6, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotonunta to your Buddy List
tomlamb47

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,299.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, with fast and accurate focus acquisition. Takes teleconverter very well. Very good build quaility.
Cons:
price

This was part of my initial purchase of Canon equiptment when I swiched from Olympus in May of 2012, and is my most used lens. I wanted a lens to use for both sports, mainly basketball, and wildlife, mostly birds. And I haven't been disappointed. While I expected teleconverters to degrade the performance it is still very good when using the 2X iii for BIF in good light and when using the 1.4x iii I notice no real difference from the bare lens.

Jun 23, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tomlamb47 to your Buddy List
Keith Broad

Registered: Aug 14, 2007
Review Date: Jun 5, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp. nice contrast, great bokeh, fast and accurate focus, well built, well balanced
Cons:
heavy, price

I resisted buying this lens for a long time, partly because I had the 70-200 f4L. It was still the one lens that everyone raved about that I could still afford (without my wife noticing).

I eventually decided to get it, based on the shots I have seen on Flickr and other sites.

Having used it for a few weeks now, I can say that this is a beautiful piece of equipment. It is versatile, delivers great IQ, it is fast and it is very sharp. I am really sorry that I left it for so long. From a cup half full perspective, I am glad that I had the opportunity to get it Smile

Jun 5, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Broad to your Buddy List
moiman

Registered: Nov 30, 2011
Review Date: May 10, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,090.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Weather sealed,superb sharpness /contrast even wide open,fast focus/quiet,IS
Cons:
Cost/ weight but that's reality. Quality throughout outweighs these relatively minor cons.

It's a lens you can depend on to produce exceptional image quality. Should be in everyone's lens arsenal if speed is needed or used with extenders. Work horse range and built tough. I had the non IS version previously and it was sharp but IS is a God send. Always a pleasure to use.Wish all lenses were this good!

May 10, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add moiman to your Buddy List
danb708

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: Jan 26, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, Blazing fast autofocus
Cons:
Weight

What can I say, this lens is brilliant. I owned the mk1 version of this lens several years ago and had to sell it for financial reasons, it was my biggest regret. I finally got to purchase the mk2 version and all I can say is wow. The autofocus is extremely fast and this lens is really sharp at 2.8. Combine the sharpness and the bokeh and you cant beat the combo. Go out and purchase one and you wont regret it!

Jan 26, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add danb708 to your Buddy List
StarNut

Registered: Aug 30, 2004
Review Date: Dec 28, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ; sharpness corner-to-corner; focusing speed; build quality
Cons:

I've had this lens for three years, and it's still my favorite lens. It's amazingly sharp, gives good contrast and colors, and takes well to hiking in dusty places (assuming you're able to carry it; it's heavy!). Truly an amazing piece of optics.

Dec 28, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add StarNut to your Buddy List
fozzybear69

Registered: Aug 21, 2008
Review Date: Nov 18, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f/2.8, IS 4 stops, build, amazing bokeh, great colors, contrast, insanely sharp.
Cons:
Expensive, heavy.

Amazing creamy smooth bokeh, sharpness, colour, contrast. 99% of the shots are sharp and in focus. Way too expensive and need to get use to the weight. Because it's too expensive I returned the lens and stuck with my 70-200 L f/4.

Nov 18, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fozzybear69 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: May 1, 2013 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Tried another sample...great sharpness
Cons:
There may be some quality control issues with these lenses

I have now one through 5 samples of this lens. One did not fit tight on the camera's lens mount. Another once made a terrible grinding noise when IS was engaged, so I finally settled on one with superb sharpness but there may be a slight problem with the IS (it occasionally causes the image through the viewfinder to lurch a slight bit...not sure if this is normal or not). Apparently there seem to be some quality control issues with the current crop of these lenses...so I will keep my rating at 8.

May 1, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
Jay968

Registered: Mar 28, 2011
Review Date: Apr 24, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very fast and accurate AF. Very good IS.
Cons:
Not as sharp wide open as I had expected. Overpriced.

Somewhat confused concerning this lens. After reading countless reviews, I decided to trade my non IS version for this lens only to find that even after trying 3 copies it is just not as sharp as I had hoped for when shooting wide open. Yes, the corners are better than those from the non IS but that's about it. It is big, it is heavy, and I am just not impressed with its F2.8 capabilities. I think that the non IS at $1000 less is a far better value.

Apr 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jay968 to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Mar 10, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: image quality at 200mm finally! sharpness
Cons:
heavy, my wife sometimes struggles holding the whole day, takes up lot of space

I was hesitant to upgrade from the previous version for a long time. I had to admit it was a big mistake! I am glad I did!!!! I think there is a big difference in image quality and mostly in sharpness! Honestly, I never liked the image quality of the Mark I at 200mm wide open. It has changed now! This is a must to have lens, period. You see tons of images with this lens on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Haring-Photography/154205936576?ref=nf

Mar 10, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
leo5d

Registered: Aug 6, 2012
Review Date: Aug 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: scherp, AF erg snel, mooie bokeh, IS voldoet prima.
Cons:
Nog geen nadelen gevonden.

Ik ben zeer tevreden over dit objectief.
Foto's gemaakt met de 1d mark 3 en de 5d mark 2 zien er geweldig uit.
IS voldoet uitstekend.
Foto's gemaakt op 1/60 [200mm] zijn niet bewogen.

Al met al, een kwalitatieve prima aankoop

Aug 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leo5d to your Buddy List
vsg28

Registered: May 7, 2012
Review Date: Jul 28, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, aperture, sharpness
Cons:
Weight

I was able to finally buy this beauty before my San Antonio trip and its first major test came in the local underground caverns. A prime would not have worked given the varying features and this lens came through big time. It was able to focus in very low light and the pictures came out great. I had a keeper rate of over 80% in such lighting conditions.

Next up I was asked to cover a Guinness world record attempt on a track field. Decent lighting conditions and never did I bother changing the aperture from 2.8; all the pictures were razor sharp. Once you are used to the weight and the justifications you gave while spending so much on this lens, you will only appreciate it more.

Jul 28, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vsg28 to your Buddy List
sf2photos

Registered: Mar 4, 2012
Review Date: Jul 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, Ultra Sharpness.
Cons:

Staggeringly good images. I've read what other people have said of this lens, and decided to invest. It's all true, it is very nearly a bag full of primes. The color rendition available is second to none, and sharpness is excellent. (To be fair I use it on a crop body so cannot comment for corner to corner sharpness on a full frame). Being so wide an aperture, using a 2x TC is available without tape trick, with marginal reduction in quality...but it still more than holds its own against similar aperture/length lenses such as the 100-400L.

The weight is significant but i've only found it a problem after a full day with this lens, body, bag and a tripod too. If anything, it feels solid rather than heavy.
Highly Recommended.

Jul 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sf2photos to your Buddy List
amesbah

Registered: Mar 19, 2008
Review Date: Jun 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Optically and mechanicaly first class.
Cons:
Slight FF vignetting.

Hearing all the praise for this mkII lens I decided I needed to own one.

Its resolving power cannot be overstated providing insanely sharp 200mm images the you can crop all day.

The only very slight negative is the level of vignetting that can be seen at 200mm/2.8 although its certainly no worse than other L lenses.

70mm on the wide end also provides many uses for this lens.

Jun 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add amesbah to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM