Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

122 151029 Dec 10, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IS, resolution
Cons:
price and weight

Was lucky enough to get one of the first batch. Using on the 5D2: If this was lighter and cheaper it would rate a 10 (perfect). i.e. the only things holding it back from being a perfect lens are the price and weight.

IS is very impressive, better than IS on any other lens Iv'e used, with CARE one can HH at very slow speeds and pixel peeping confirms.

Resolution is as good as any other lens in same FLs and better than many. Apart from the obvious fact that it's f2.8 in practice is as good as the 135L, or the 85L at same f-stops, which is saying something. It is certainly better at the long end than the 70-200L f4 IS that I had.

DPreview pretty much hits the nail on the head, and as you can see all the reviews here are (so far) very positive)

In time one can get over the price but the weight is another matter, I really notice this lens after carrying it about all day. Canon has sussed IS, all we need from them now is anti-grav (AG?) Wink

Highly recommended

Jun 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List
GAPR

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Jun 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Increased Sharpness, improved contrast rendition, improved color rendition, improvement in speed for autofocus
Cons:
price

I have used the version I of this lens for the last 7 years. With both of the Canon teleconvertors.

Then, I bought this one, the version II, reluctantly at first because of the price.

Having used it a few times now, I cannot believe I even questioned buying this in the first place.

The improvement in autofocus, contrast rendition, color rendition, autofocus speeds justify it.

And it really becomes apparent when you mate this lens with the 1.4 teleconverter and the 2.0. One word to describe the result: WOW.

Canon, you pulled this one through with jaw dropping amazement. And this was after I read reviews on how well it performs! I was still amazed. I would say more, but I would be repeating what all the other reviewers before me have pointed out.

10/10 Canon. Thanks for a truly remarkable and versatile lens in this zoom range.

Jun 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GAPR to your Buddy List
Delpartal

Registered: Jun 3, 2010
Review Date: Jun 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nitidez, velocidad de enfoque, calidad de construcción y resultados obtenidos.
Cons:
Peso y precio.

Su calidad sorprende, es realmente una lente comparable a los mejores fijos de Canon en su rango, admite los duplicadores muy, muy bien y con el 1,4 su velocidad de enfoque casi no disminuye y con el X2 se vuelve un poco más lento, pero no más que la versión MkI en una buenas condiciones de luz, muy recomendado.

Algún ejemplo:

Saludos a todos.

Jun 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Delpartal to your Buddy List
Breitling65

Registered: May 31, 2006
Review Date: Jun 2, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! great, effective and not noisy IS, creamy bokeh, extrimely fast AF, finally good hood from Canon
Cons:
Cost is high but represents great new lens

I own 3 versions of Canon 70-200mm lens: 2.8L IS mk1, F4 IS and now mk 2. So far all I could say is bravo for Canon, finally I could see best zoom in any respect in my hands! Canon retouched every part and curve of this lens, lots of improvements in IQ and IS. I am normally primes shooter, however if Canon will release more of zooms this level I will get rid of most of mine primes. My score is 10 and no point less, great product and highly recommended to anyone shooting with Canon.

Jun 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Breitling65 to your Buddy List
Kenneth Ling

Registered: May 4, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very very Sharp, focus extremely fast, nice hood.
Cons:
none.

If you have the money just buy it, I have both 2.8 IS version I and II, it is so much sharper than the version one especially in close range from 70mm-135mm. If you need the best IQ, this is it!

Taken with 5D mark II

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kenneth Ling to your Buddy List
Sea Dragon Rex

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: May 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ, IS works fantastic, AF is fast and accurate, f/2.8.
Cons:

I've used my the 70-200 2.8L non-IS for the past 5 years on my crop sensored Canons and have had loved the images I've captured with it. At times I considered getting the IS version of the lens but just couldn't justify the extra $$ to get IS (the IQ difference between the two is minimal with the edge going to the non-IS imho).

When this lens came out and after reading the reviews (professional and non) I decided to make the leap. I sold my old lens and picked this one up. The AF is very fast and accurate (I can't tell a difference from my 135L) and the IS is amazing (it seems like it is much better than my 70-300 IS and I am able to get sharp images at 200mm, 1/60 that I couldn't do without a monopod on my old 2.8L).

The images I've taken are very sharp and the lens has a warm cast to them. I've only had the lens for three weeks and I'm looking forward to using the lens on my trip to Scandanavia next month.

May 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sea Dragon Rex to your Buddy List
slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast AF, bokeh, IS, sharpness
Cons:

Super fast AF, the 4-stop IS works as advertized. The lens is very sharp, works great with 1.4x TC. Absolutely no complaint, worth the full price.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
XanuFoto

Registered: May 3, 2010
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely well made, sharp, incredible IS
Cons:
None. Bit heavy but I will stop doing weights and just carry this around. LOL

I planned to buy the Canon f2.8 IS at the beginning of the year. Canon then released the MK 2 and I waited until the price and initial reviews came out. The price was a shock as it was 25% higher than the MK1. But I decided to go ahead with the MK2 as the reviews were consistantly solid. And the reviews were spot on.

I have had the lens for a week and just love it. Would definitely recommend to anybody.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add XanuFoto to your Buddy List
allanbaden

Registered: Apr 5, 2006
Review Date: Apr 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Quick AF, Build quality, New IS, Lens hood system
Cons:

I have been using the old 70-200 2.8 for some years so the upgrade was very welcome.

THe new lens is better in all aspects. Amazing picture quality and much sharper than the old one. The AF and tracking is just as good and quick as my primes (135mm 2.0, 85mm, 1.8) and its just amazing to work with it. The new IS is so silent and effective. The build quality is very very good and the new lens hood system is very nice compared to the other hoods on my Canon lenses.

Although very pricey its worth every penny. Cant believe how much Canon have emprooved this lens compared to the old Mark I version.

Apr 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add allanbaden to your Buddy List
mbailey

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Apr 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness Super IS performance Fast, quiet,and accurate focusing Fantastic color rendering Solid construction
Cons:
Weight and Girth - what do you expect? High price - but you get what you pay for...

I have owned the lens for about a week. Spent some time setting up micro AF with my body. Now the lens is accurate like a rifle. You put that focus point somwhere, you get super fast quiet focusing that is tack sharp!! Even at f/2.8 it is prime level sharp. I did a comparison with my 135L both being set at f/2.8 and the zoom was noticably sharper eventhough the prime had the advantage of being closed one stop! Of course the prime still has the advantge of being lighter and faster but that is an incredible achievement for a zoom! Color rendering was also a notch above the prime.

The IS is top notch and allows handheld shots 200mm shots at 1/30! It spins up quickly and is also very quiet. Construction is top notch but of course that is to be expected. Its big, heavy, and expensive which is also expected. LOL! What I did not expect was this tremendous performance which can quite frankly put some L primes in the shade. It seems crazy to suggest but I feel the lens easily justifies the price and shows what current state-of-the art is in zoom technology.

Apr 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbailey to your Buddy List
thetaobear

Registered: Apr 25, 2010
Review Date: Apr 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS (4 stops), AF (fast), sharp at 2.8, f/2.8, contrast -> excellent images build quality, fluorite lens, usability
Cons:
price + weight

I traded in my 70-200mm 2.8 is mark i for this lens. For field use (I mainly take pictures of animals and events), it is extraordinary.

Yes, 85mm 1.2 and 135mm 2.0 are much sharper and optically outstanding, but the slow AF of 85mm 1.2 and a bit inaccurate AF of 135mm 2.0 make these lenses a bit frustrating to use when you are pressured by time.

70-200mm IS, fast and accurate AF makes the lens outstanding. The pictures are sharp and I took some photos that I cannot take with my primes in low light due to lack of AF/IS abilities.

Picture quality, contrast, and sharpness due to these improvements make it much better than the 70-200mm 2.8 is mk i. I thought the pictures on the mk i lens were a bit lackluster compared to the primes. But the mk ii justifies using a zoomed lens vs. my primes- at least for action photos.

Definitely, with portraits and extreme low light situations, my 135mm and 85mm are still handy (f/2.8 just doesn't cut it).

The price is... not sure if it is justified. In my field, I now use this lens and the 35mm 1.4L (still one of the best lens IMO).

Bottom-line for this lens- it is extremely usable.

Apr 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thetaobear to your Buddy List
CarlG

Registered: Mar 11, 2002
Review Date: Apr 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp - even wide open. Color, contrast and bokeh are spectacular! Love the new hood design, too!!
Cons:

When this was first announced I was very hesitant because of the price. I decided it was out of my budget. But the more I read about it and seeing sample images taken by others, my interest in this lens began to increase until this past week when I decide to sell my 70-200 2.8 non-IS and try it out.

Boy, was I glad I did!! This is one fantastic lens! Yes, a little pricey but after seeing what it can do, the price tag is long forgotten.

Images are as sharp as I've seen from any zoom (and some "L" primes), wide open @ 2.8. Color and contrast are second to none. Focus just "snaps" and is dead accurate. The redesigned IS is so quiet you may not even realize it is on.

Highly recommended!!

Apr 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add CarlG to your Buddy List
Dreamliner

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Location: Greece
Review Date: Apr 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding sharpness and contrast, extremely fast autofocus, sealed and rugged construction, 4 stops IS.
Cons:
As expected -but not bothering me- weight, and price.

The best Canon 70-200 I've tested. It has better plasticity than it's f/2,8 predeccesors, partly because of it's higher microcontrast. Sharp 'till the corners on my full frame 5D II (something that is not happening to that point with the f/4 IS) and rivals and even exceeds the performance of the non-IS f/2,8 at 135mm. It has very nice bokeh also and it's a joy to use. Heavier and costs a lot more , but when you see the results on your pictures you start having a big smile !

Apr 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dreamliner to your Buddy List
Rajan Parrikar

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Apr 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical performance, f/2.8, Image Stabilization, Mechanical Construction, Versatility
Cons:
Weight

I had the original version of this lens and it was already an outstanding performer. That this Mark II version is even better is a tribute to Canon engineering.

Outwardly the look and feel is the same as the original version, but there is a discernible improvement in image quality and IS. The hood is also of better make.

This is an exceptional tool, and makes possible all manner of images, from portraits to landscape to photojournalism.

Apr 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rajan Parrikar to your Buddy List
s23chang

Registered: Jul 17, 2006
Review Date: Apr 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast AF speed. Very sharp for a prime lens. Works great with 1.4X and 2X extenders. Quiet motor.
Cons:
It is pretty big. Can easily be spotted when carry around the street. People will think you're a pro.

One of the best lens made by Canon and I had all the different versions of the same lens. It is just too valueable not to leave home without it.
Due to the new sharpness and AF speed, I can see that it would help greatly with my sports shooting and using the 2X extender ( none of the older version was able to accomplish acceptable results )
Now can definitely say goodbye to the 135L
Looking forward for the new 24-70 with IS and fast AF like this.

Apr 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add s23chang to your Buddy List
Stono

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00

Pros: VERY, very sharp! Impressive IS and fine AF too
Cons:
None to my knowledge

I have the old Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS and the (semi-new)Canon 70-200 mm f4 L IS and I have made systematic comparisons. The conclusion is without any doubt that the new version of 70-200 f2.8 is far better in any respect than the older ones. I'll bet: Buy it and you will be very impressed!

This is the best zoom I have ever tried and owned! And believe me, I am not easily impressed (I got 14 Canon L lenses, from 500 mm f4 to 300 mm f2.8 to 200mm f2 to (the new) 24 mm tilt/shift and the new 16-35 mm). Sharpest lens of them all? Probably Canon 200 f2 IS L. Price for Best lens all over (handy, sharp, usability, travel, airline fit, etc.) will go to the new 70-200 mm f2.8.

Apr 10, 2010