Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

116 146951 Aug 11, 2014
ef70-200lisiiu_586x225

Improving upon one of the most celebrated lenses in the Canon EF line is no easy feat, but Canon has done just that. The all-new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM increases the speed, performance and optical quality of the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM while maintaining all of the characteristics that have made it a legend for professionals and advanced amateurs alike. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM features one fluorite and five UD elements for increased optical quality and reduced chromatic aberration. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.2m/3.9 ft. at all zoom settings, which is useful for photographers in smaller spaces trying to get closer to a subject. It features a next-generation Optical Image Stabilizer, providing up to 4 stops of correction at all focal lengths. And as with all L-series lenses, the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM is dust- and moisture-resistant and designed for use in the challenging environments typical of rigorous professional use.

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-200mm 1:2.8
Lens Construction: 23 elements in 19 groups (1 Fluorite and 5 UD elements)
Diagonal Angle of View: 34 - 12
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available
Closest Focusing Distance: 1.2m/3.94 ft. (maximum close-up magnification: 0.21x)
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 7.8 in./88.8 x 199mm; 52.6 oz./1490g
Lens Cap, Lens Hood & Pouch: Lens Hood ET-87

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

slee915

Registered: Jan 4, 2006
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast AF, bokeh, IS, sharpness
Cons:

Super fast AF, the 4-stop IS works as advertized. The lens is very sharp, works great with 1.4x TC. Absolutely no complaint, worth the full price.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slee915 to your Buddy List
XanuFoto

Registered: May 3, 2010
Review Date: May 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely well made, sharp, incredible IS
Cons:
None. Bit heavy but I will stop doing weights and just carry this around. LOL

I planned to buy the Canon f2.8 IS at the beginning of the year. Canon then released the MK 2 and I waited until the price and initial reviews came out. The price was a shock as it was 25% higher than the MK1. But I decided to go ahead with the MK2 as the reviews were consistantly solid. And the reviews were spot on.

I have had the lens for a week and just love it. Would definitely recommend to anybody.

May 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add XanuFoto to your Buddy List
allanbaden

Registered: Apr 5, 2006
Review Date: Apr 29, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Quick AF, Build quality, New IS, Lens hood system
Cons:

I have been using the old 70-200 2.8 for some years so the upgrade was very welcome.

THe new lens is better in all aspects. Amazing picture quality and much sharper than the old one. The AF and tracking is just as good and quick as my primes (135mm 2.0, 85mm, 1.8) and its just amazing to work with it. The new IS is so silent and effective. The build quality is very very good and the new lens hood system is very nice compared to the other hoods on my Canon lenses.

Although very pricey its worth every penny. Cant believe how much Canon have emprooved this lens compared to the old Mark I version.

Apr 29, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add allanbaden to your Buddy List
mbailey

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Apr 27, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness Super IS performance Fast, quiet,and accurate focusing Fantastic color rendering Solid construction
Cons:
Weight and Girth - what do you expect? High price - but you get what you pay for...

I have owned the lens for about a week. Spent some time setting up micro AF with my body. Now the lens is accurate like a rifle. You put that focus point somwhere, you get super fast quiet focusing that is tack sharp!! Even at f/2.8 it is prime level sharp. I did a comparison with my 135L both being set at f/2.8 and the zoom was noticably sharper eventhough the prime had the advantage of being closed one stop! Of course the prime still has the advantge of being lighter and faster but that is an incredible achievement for a zoom! Color rendering was also a notch above the prime.

The IS is top notch and allows handheld shots 200mm shots at 1/30! It spins up quickly and is also very quiet. Construction is top notch but of course that is to be expected. Its big, heavy, and expensive which is also expected. LOL! What I did not expect was this tremendous performance which can quite frankly put some L primes in the shade. It seems crazy to suggest but I feel the lens easily justifies the price and shows what current state-of-the art is in zoom technology.

Apr 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbailey to your Buddy List
thetaobear

Registered: Apr 25, 2010
Review Date: Apr 25, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IS (4 stops), AF (fast), sharp at 2.8, f/2.8, contrast -> excellent images build quality, fluorite lens, usability
Cons:
price + weight

I traded in my 70-200mm 2.8 is mark i for this lens. For field use (I mainly take pictures of animals and events), it is extraordinary.

Yes, 85mm 1.2 and 135mm 2.0 are much sharper and optically outstanding, but the slow AF of 85mm 1.2 and a bit inaccurate AF of 135mm 2.0 make these lenses a bit frustrating to use when you are pressured by time.

70-200mm IS, fast and accurate AF makes the lens outstanding. The pictures are sharp and I took some photos that I cannot take with my primes in low light due to lack of AF/IS abilities.

Picture quality, contrast, and sharpness due to these improvements make it much better than the 70-200mm 2.8 is mk i. I thought the pictures on the mk i lens were a bit lackluster compared to the primes. But the mk ii justifies using a zoomed lens vs. my primes- at least for action photos.

Definitely, with portraits and extreme low light situations, my 135mm and 85mm are still handy (f/2.8 just doesn't cut it).

The price is... not sure if it is justified. In my field, I now use this lens and the 35mm 1.4L (still one of the best lens IMO).

Bottom-line for this lens- it is extremely usable.

Apr 25, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thetaobear to your Buddy List
CarlG

Registered: Mar 11, 2002
Review Date: Apr 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp - even wide open. Color, contrast and bokeh are spectacular! Love the new hood design, too!!
Cons:

When this was first announced I was very hesitant because of the price. I decided it was out of my budget. But the more I read about it and seeing sample images taken by others, my interest in this lens began to increase until this past week when I decide to sell my 70-200 2.8 non-IS and try it out.

Boy, was I glad I did!! This is one fantastic lens! Yes, a little pricey but after seeing what it can do, the price tag is long forgotten.

Images are as sharp as I've seen from any zoom (and some "L" primes), wide open @ 2.8. Color and contrast are second to none. Focus just "snaps" and is dead accurate. The redesigned IS is so quiet you may not even realize it is on.

Highly recommended!!

Apr 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CarlG to your Buddy List
Dreamliner

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Location: Greece
Review Date: Apr 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Outstanding sharpness and contrast, extremely fast autofocus, sealed and rugged construction, 4 stops IS.
Cons:
As expected -but not bothering me- weight, and price.

The best Canon 70-200 I've tested. It has better plasticity than it's f/2,8 predeccesors, partly because of it's higher microcontrast. Sharp 'till the corners on my full frame 5D II (something that is not happening to that point with the f/4 IS) and rivals and even exceeds the performance of the non-IS f/2,8 at 135mm. It has very nice bokeh also and it's a joy to use. Heavier and costs a lot more , but when you see the results on your pictures you start having a big smile !

Apr 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dreamliner to your Buddy List
Rajan Parrikar

Registered: Sep 9, 2006
Review Date: Apr 16, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Optical performance, f/2.8, Image Stabilization, Mechanical Construction, Versatility
Cons:
Weight

I had the original version of this lens and it was already an outstanding performer. That this Mark II version is even better is a tribute to Canon engineering.

Outwardly the look and feel is the same as the original version, but there is a discernible improvement in image quality and IS. The hood is also of better make.

This is an exceptional tool, and makes possible all manner of images, from portraits to landscape to photojournalism.

Apr 16, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rajan Parrikar to your Buddy List
s23chang

Registered: Jul 17, 2006
Review Date: Apr 13, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast AF speed. Very sharp for a prime lens. Works great with 1.4X and 2X extenders. Quiet motor.
Cons:
It is pretty big. Can easily be spotted when carry around the street. People will think you're a pro.

One of the best lens made by Canon and I had all the different versions of the same lens. It is just too valueable not to leave home without it.
Due to the new sharpness and AF speed, I can see that it would help greatly with my sports shooting and using the 2X extender ( none of the older version was able to accomplish acceptable results )
Now can definitely say goodbye to the 135L
Looking forward for the new 24-70 with IS and fast AF like this.

Apr 13, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add s23chang to your Buddy List
Stono

Registered: Dec 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 10, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,600.00

Pros: VERY, very sharp! Impressive IS and fine AF too
Cons:
None to my knowledge

I have the old Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS and the (semi-new)Canon 70-200 mm f4 L IS and I have made systematic comparisons. The conclusion is without any doubt that the new version of 70-200 f2.8 is far better in any respect than the older ones. I'll bet: Buy it and you will be very impressed!

This is the best zoom I have ever tried and owned! And believe me, I am not easily impressed (I got 14 Canon L lenses, from 500 mm f4 to 300 mm f2.8 to 200mm f2 to (the new) 24 mm tilt/shift and the new 16-35 mm). Sharpest lens of them all? Probably Canon 200 f2 IS L. Price for Best lens all over (handy, sharp, usability, travel, airline fit, etc.) will go to the new 70-200 mm f2.8.

Apr 10, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stono to your Buddy List
Hank Endzelis

Registered: Dec 17, 2007
Review Date: Apr 7, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Better IS than it's predecessor, AF, contrast and colors, build, locking lens hood
Cons:
A minor issue - harder to align the hood when inverting for storage

It's as sharp or sharper at f/2.8 than it's predecessor was at f/5.6. Using it mounted on my 7D, I couldn't believe how well it handles the extenders, particularly the 2xII TC. At 400mm and at f/5.6 it's about the same as the equivalent prime and you have the benefit of IS.
I sold my 300f/4IS and 400f/5.6 and the savings negated it's overall cost and now I have the benefit of 70-200 at f/2.8 and 200-400 at f/5.6 with IS, all in one lens..... not to mention how it lightened my gear bag.

Apr 7, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hank Endzelis to your Buddy List
jonbrach

Registered: Dec 22, 2004
Review Date: Mar 31, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,465.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp wide open and throughout!improved IS,quicker focus...same great build
Cons:
price and size

I traded up from my version 1 and couldnt be happier...yes,the lens is expensive but canon has really got a winner on their hands with this lens.In the past I always regarded zoom lenses as problematic when shooting wide open but no longer...at 2.8 this lens as damn close to prime quality and the IS is fantastic....still big and heavy but what can you do about that?there is always the 4.0 version for those wanting to carry the smaller and lighter lens....I look forward to the 24-70 upgrade now as well!

Mar 31, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jonbrach to your Buddy List
palani

Registered: Mar 30, 2010
Review Date: Mar 30, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Many Primes in one, Fantastic colors & Contrast, sharp at either end.
Cons:

I have extensive research for the past one year for a tele-zoom. V1 was not up to my expectation. Wanted to buy a few primes to meet my expectations on image quality. Then comes this V2, grabbed it immediately yesterday. My copy could be one of the first handful delivered in Malaysia, came with a 1+2 yrs warranty.

Price to me is justifiable because this will be my 85f1.8+100L+135L+200L all compressed into one tube, sharp at every level. It Doesn't matter to me that i loose the extra stops of the Primes, this fellow captures sharp images going as low as 1/30 and sometimes even lower coupled with ISO 2000 on the 5Mk2. Further, saves time on changing lens. Conspicuous Yes, i like it, it will enhance my image to a certain extent.

I do photography for a living (Studio + Weddings), and this weight is no problem since, to me it is much lighter than other tools that people carry to perform their work, some for hours and hours i.e grass-cutting unit, hammer drill etc.

If you are earning thru photography, this best tool will not set you back (technically) in your profession. Buy it once and be happy for a long time. Prudent not to beg,borrow, or steal to meet this goal. Best of luck in your research and decision- making process. Will post some pics soon as soon as i learn how to do it here.
www.luxmeimages.com

Mar 30, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add palani to your Buddy List
alexosh1234

Registered: Nov 20, 2009
Review Date: Mar 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightning fast AF, Incredible Sharpness, Build Quality, Hood Design, Excellent IS
Cons:
Price $$$$$, a bit big, a little heavy- not too bad.

WOW is all I can say. After getting over that I spent so much on a lens, this new machine is absolutely amazing. The image quality is top notch. 100% crops can be printed large and I can see every detail. I was in Miami and took some pictures of the big hotels, and was wondering what the names were. I looked at some of the pictures, zoomed in, and saw everything. Even small signs hundreds and hundreds of feet away. The IS adds a new feeling of confidence. No longer do you have to worry about shaking a tiny bit and the shot being out of focus or a bit blurry. Canon has really created an astounding piece of technology surpassing others(Nikon) in the lens market. The build quality, as expected from an L series lens, is made to withstand extreme conditions. The zoom ring is large and easy to use. The buttons for different IS and af/mf are easy to use/see. The new focusing distance allows you to get closer to your subjects, and can get quite close if some cropping is done. The Af is also excellent, and focuses very fast even in low light. Now, price... yes... I recommend thinking about this purchase for a while. 2500 - as of now, is a lot to spend, but if you have the money and really really want it, I highly recommend it. The pouch that it comes with is very nice and the hood is easy to put on and is a better material than other hoods. It does not scratch easily like my 24-70 f/2.8L lens hood does. At all apertures, this thing is sharp. If you are an IQ aficionado, this lens is quite a big step up from Mark 1 especially at f/2.8. For me, sharpness is my big thing, so I wanted the best out there. I did not want to step back in terms of technology and get the first generation of the lens even if it is still very good. In a few years if you decide that you want to sell the lens or change to something else, I can assure you that this will retain its resale value very well. I doubt Canon will be upgrading this in the next 5 years, so the sharpness and awesome Af will pay off in the coming days, months, and years to come.

All in all, the new 70-200 is quite a stunning lens which will continue to be one of or the best in Canon's lineup of pro lenses. If you want it and can afford it without selling your house, I would get it haha but as always, research extensively and weigh your options before buying something at these price levels.

I hoped you liked the review. More info and analysis to come in the future...

Check out my unboxing video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJ8sJVwlfo

Thanks

- Alex

Mar 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alexosh1234 to your Buddy List
henkeggens

Registered: Mar 20, 2010
Review Date: Mar 20, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Just can say that all positive kind of comments can be done are really true.
Cons:
They promissed better button, but, as a sportsphotographer, with permanently using zoom, all the buttons should be taped, like on the old 70-200, It's seems to me easy to put the button a little bit deeper in the frame, and make the switch not as easy as it goes.

Mar 20, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add henkeggens to your Buddy List
Maggot

Registered: Jul 19, 2005
Review Date: Mar 18, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, Great IS, Super fast & accurate AF, Excellent wide open.
Cons:
Price...........dear Lord.

Coming from the original version, which like many, I thought was a little lacking at f/2.8 across the whole lens, but especially on the long end........I find this new version to be far superior. I'm not saying the original was bad, not at all.....it's a classic workhorse lens for so many, but as I'm a prime guy first and foremost, with a few zooms for versaltility, I always found the original 70-200 2.8 IS to be lacking at f/2.8 and that always irked me. I can safely say f/2.8 on this new version is simply excellent. So much so, that I'm considering getting rid of my small 200 2.8 II, which the version I of the 70-200 couldn't touch for sharpenss. Then we come to AF. One word......SNAPPY! This thing snaps into focus so fast and accurate that one feels like they just got whiplash. In low light on my 5D2, there's absolutely no hunting. Incredibly confident and competant AF!

Mar 18, 2010